OMG! ZIRIA! ZIRIA!! ZIRIA!!! IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED!! 34 YEARS LATER!! The epic/legendary Tengai Makyou/Far East of Eden: Ziria JRPG has finally been localized! Supper the Subtitler struck again! Simply unstoppable, NOTHING can prevent him from TOTAL PCECD localization domination!!!! WHACHA GONNA DO BROTHER?!?!
Main Menu

Sofa King, Cushion, or couldn't Chair-less?

Started by turboswimbz, 12/27/2017, 05:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turboswimbz

SO after 3 months, it looks like I am just a few days away from getting my own home.

NOw as you all may have guessed, the most important thing is to start planning the game room.  =P~ =P~  Food, heat all that stuff can wait. I've been looking at a lot of the game room threads and have a good idea on how to display/store the games and consoles, but there is one thing I can't decide on yet:

So my question to all you boys and gals out there: What do you sit on while you game?
a Couch, chair, virtual cushion, bean bag, floor, Esteban's lap?

Any suggestions on how to keep the room as useful as possible? (in other words, so I don't look like a jackass when people come over) 
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)
BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere. You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

Digi.k

Definitely consider a giant bean bag although every few years you will need to top it up as it tends to go flat after a while.

I might also suggest a double futon for any sleep overs but... you will need to make sure the screws are held in place as constant moving around will loosen the screws and may cause the wooden beams unnecessary strain and will break.

crazydean

+1 for virtual cushion.

If you're really interested in a usable room, go for a futon. Those "gamer chairs" that you can get at Walmart or whatever are pretty comfortable.

I'd stay away from a couch or recliner. They just aren't that ergonomic for gaming.

I considered getting one of those nice bean bags, but the price kept me away. I gamed on a beanbag for many years as a kid and it was super comfortable.

seieienbu

It depends on what type of game I'm playing.  If I'm relaxing while playing something I'd rather have a recliner than anything else.  If instead I'm playing something competitive (generally a fighting game with a joystick sitting in my lap) I'd rather sit on something firm that doesn't rock, recline, or anything of that sort.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

esteban

Sweet Bebe Jesus, I must be old. I sit on the floor or use a wooden chair (or folding chair). Those are the most comfortable to me and less "sweat-inducing" (beanbag chairs, sofas, recliners, etc. make me sweat like a bastard).
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

NecroPhile

I have a sectional couch thingy in the living room.  If I'm playing PSP Go or PSTV, I'll sit somewhere on the L shaped couch; If I'm playing the PC-FX or LA, I'll sit on the ottoman section right in front of the TV due to the short cords.

In the bedroom (aka game room with CRT and Turbobs), I've got two of the sections that don't really fit in the living room or I'll sit on the floor with a big pillow to lean back against the couch.

I can't help you with not looking like a jackass.  It's a lost cause for me.  :mrgreen:
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

majors

Esteban's lap is the preferred method of sitting while obeying, but those are the rares(I'm thinking one known to exist) so baring that, I go hand-me-down couch. I've never bought a chair/couch ever, but then again I've never owned a home. I've always had used furniture from friends, I have 4 couches right now for my 3 "entertainment" rooms. The couch has always been best...you can fit 3 ppl for movie watching or game playing. When I'm gaming solo, I can lounge like Cleopatra for longer sessions. Def look for a padded, cloth and comfy one...no leather and exposed wood. Added benefit to the couch, it can be a crash space for over night guests.   

Think about when ppl need to get up (goto bathroom, get more beer, ...run away) and try to make it so there is ways to not cross in front of the TV and cords...basically have two exits in case of fire.
TG/PCE Collection.
"Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)

esteban

Quote from: majors on 12/28/2017, 11:35 AMEsteban's lap is the preferred method of sitting while obeying, but those are the rares(I'm thinking one known to exist) so baring that, I go hand-me-down couch. I've never bought a chair/couch ever, but then again I've never owned a home. I've always had used furniture from friends, I have 4 couches right now for my 3 "entertainment" rooms. The couch has always been best...you can fit 3 ppl for movie watching or game playing. When I'm gaming solo, I can lounge like Cleopatra for longer sessions. Def look for a padded, cloth and comfy one...no leather and exposed wood. Added benefit to the couch, it can be a crash space for over night guests.   

Think about when ppl need to get up (goto bathroom, get more beer, ...run away) and try to make it so there is ways to not cross in front of the TV and cords...basically have two exits in case of fire.

If you want to play some silly NEO GEO or Capcom fighting game... or Gundam Battle Tournament, find someone else's lap.

I printed this policy on a sign and posted it in my living room, FYI.

:)

bartre

*IMPORTANT NOTE. DO NOT DISCARD*
Do not set your TV/Monitor too high up, it disturbs the comfort of playing.
Aligning the top line of the monitor just below normal sitting eye level is ideal.

regarding the seating situation-
IMO it depends on who's going to be in that space.
If it's a primarily one person spot, get a nice office chair that gives hella back support.
If you've got local gamer dork friends, then get a sectional or couch, whatever fits in the space.

And I definitely second Majors' 2 exit policy, especially during 5-player bomberman sessions.

esteban

Quote from: bartre on 12/29/2017, 10:52 AM*IMPORTANT NOTE. DO NOT DISCARD*
Do not set your TV/Monitor too high up, it disturbs the comfort of playing.
Aligning the top line of the monitor just below normal sitting eye level is ideal.

regarding the seating situation-
IMO it depends on who's going to be in that space.
If it's a primarily one person spot, get a nice office chair that gives hella back support.
If you've got local gamer dork friends, then get a sectional or couch, whatever fits in the space.

And I definitely second Majors' 2 exit policy, especially during 5-player bomberman sessions.
YOU JUST INSPIRED ME!

On a related note, I often have had my TV's on the floor....which certainly wasn't idea (not eye level unless you slouch, lay on stomach).

LostFlunky

This thread is Sofa King lame...

Couch is tough unless you have long controller cables... but is best if you wanna spread out a bit...  Sitting on the floor or on a cushion will just lead to future neck issues.

For Bomberman, you stand up and form an elephant walk chain....