RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

Turbo Express Speaker Upgrade

Started by Amerika, 08/26/2018, 09:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amerika

Is there a particularly good drop-in speaker for the Turbo Express that is better than the stock one?  Mine is loud and clear enough but I can't help but think that I can't get a bit better sound out of it with something a bit more modern.

Oh, and this is completely off-topic, but if somebody has an original TE screen for sale as a leftover part from a dead unit, let me know.  I'd be interested.

Thanks!

NightWolve

I can't find the thread, but if you know which capacitor is for sound, you can replace it with a slightly higher value to boost the existing speaker's max loudness. That's another idea.

But yeah, I'd imagine a speaker built under today's science standards/tech/experience performs a bit better than what was made ~30 years ago. You figure the black paper cone of the speaker was probably cheap/low quality, and that does deteriorate over time, some types faster than others...

As for stock screens, you can contact/PM turbokon, he has had some for sale in the past. If not, try thesteve who you can also ask about the sound capacitor (he might remember/know about that too).

Amerika

Quote from: NightWolve on 08/28/2018, 11:10 AMI can't find the thread, but if you know which capacitor is for sound, you can replace it with a slightly higher value to boost the existing speaker's max loudness. That's another idea.

But yeah, I'd imagine a speaker built under today's science standards/tech/experience performs a bit better than what was made ~30 years ago. You figure the black paper cone of the speaker was probably cheap/low quality, and that does deteriorate over time, some types faster than others...

As for stock screens, you can contact/PM turbokon, he has had some for sale in the past. If not, try thesteve who you can also ask about the sound capacitor (he might remember/know about that too).
Oh, no worries about the capacitor.  I replaced all of them and a few other things on my TE which restored my sound (and everything else broken) and it's extremely loud.  I just wanted to know if anybody knew of a solid upgrade for the TE speaker as it sounds "fine" for the era but I wouldn't mind a nice little upgrade if there was one that was known and could still be sourced.  If not, I'll get some measurements on the speaker and see what I can find.

As for the stock screen, I found a guy that does repairs that had one he would sell.  So I got that covered!  Thanks for the reply.

Amerika

I have an update to this in case anybody needs to replace their speaker in the future.  I pulled the speaker out of my Turbo Express and measured it and it is 28mm in diameter and ~4.5mm thick.  I used that information to find TONS of speakers that are the same size.  Mouser looks to have a couple of solid options but I ended up going the quick/simple route and buying https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01EJI8UWI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1.  I did a before and after test and the drop-in sounds slightly better than my old speaker (used Dungeon Explorer and Bonk) to my ears...but it wasn't a huge change.

So if you need a good/quick/cheap drop-in replacement, the speaker I linked works just fine.  I'm curious about the ones listed on Mouser as they might be higher quality.  https://www.mouser.com/Electromechanical/Audio-Devices/Speakers-Transducers/_/N-awp4u?P=1z0x281Z1yyy7vm

Here is what the new speaker sounds like:  https://photos.app.goo.gl/3ciFf4JGCvh8WK8eA

NightWolve

Yeah, could be useful, I don't remember anyone else ever pursuing modern speaker replacements like we have for the LCD panel, or other types of mods/upgrades (YPbPr video output, gamepad input).

So the cone on that is all plastic-icky-looking, probably lasts the longest. I don't see the fiber-foamy stuff and I'm guessing the original was the black paper-ish kind ? It's been years since I had my Express open (for capacitor replacement).

Amerika

Quote from: NightWolve on 09/09/2018, 12:39 PMYeah, could be useful, I don't remember anyone else ever pursuing modern speaker replacements like we have for the LCD panel, or other types of mods/upgrades (YPbPr video output, gamepad input).

So the cone on that is all plastic-icky-looking, probably lasts the longest. I don't see the fiber-foamy stuff and I'm guessing the original was the black paper-ish kind ? It's been years since I had my Express open (for capacitor replacement).
Yeah, the original speaker, at least in my TE, was paper-like and was super ragged and dirty.