I got me a PC-FX!!

Started by SuperDeadite, 06/16/2007, 08:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SuperDeadite

Well after a trip to Tokyo I finally spent some cash and got a boxed PC-FX with a nice selection of games to start with.  The system is missing the manual, however I got a free surprise!  The previous owner left a BMP in the slot and the store must never have opened it.  :mrgreen:

Speaking of the BMP, how long do the batteries last for?  My system's internal memory came full of saves, but the BMP is blank so I'm guessing the batteries are dead.  Is it actually worth using the thing? If nothing else its a nice accessory.  Also what's the weird looking Yuna disc?  I'm guessing a demo (haven't had time to boot it up yet), but if so where did it come from?

Also any other game recommendations?

My collection:
IMG
IMG
IMG
IMG

Not pictured: AV cable and a 2nd controller.
Stronger Than Your Average Deadite

Seldane

Cool awesome fantastic.

Grr, I am incredibly envious. I want one too!!
Quote from: Seldane on 04/21/2007, 07:28 PMDVDs are for suckers. Illegally pirated and stolen videos all the way. No menus. No "DO NOT PIRATE THIS!" screens. No fuss. Only perfection. I honestly only pirate movies because that "don't pirate this" screen annoys me. :wink:
IMG
Indeed, it's AV time. Check out: IMG! Sir, the door was open.

nat

How much did you pay, in US dollars?

You already have the "holy grails" of the PC-FX world right there in your initial bundle (Chip Can Kick, Zeroigar, and Zenki).

Your collection and setup looks almost identical to mine, although I have a little more, but I bought all my stuff individually over a period of time so undoubtedly spent a lot more than you did. That's why I'm curious how much you're out for that stuff.

Off the top of my head, I'd say pick up "Return to Zork" also if you like Myst-type adventure games, also get "Boundary Gate" and "Miraculum: The Last Revelation" for RPG fun. The last two I haven't spent much time with but they look like they'll be a blast.

I also have two FMV fighters, "Battle Heat" and a Far East of Eden fighter "Kabuki" something. These seem to be pretty popular, but I can not for the LIFE of me figure out the rythm of the control scheme (as in, when to execute the moves). These two are extremely common and cheap, so they're worth picking up. And hey, maybe you'll actually be able to figure out how to play them.

Most recently I've been really involved with Der Langrisser/Warsong 2, which I've discovered to be a totally kickass game. It's the sequel to Warsong on the Genesis and is a turn-based strategy RPG-type. I see you've already got it there, and I highly recommend it.

I think you'll really have a lot of fun with your system... The PC-FX is definitely one of the most underrated consoles out there and actually has some real gems despite a smaller game library than it's contemporaries, the Saturn and PS1.
Wayback - thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

SuperDeadite

Well let's see here's what I payed with conversions from xe.com.  The system was a bit expensive, but I had no shipping to worry about.  Tokyo is a bit far from me, so when I do go (this was only my 2nd trip ever) I save up a big wad of cash and buy what I want.  Akihabara is really more about selection then price these days.

System: 12,000yen - $97.20
BMP: free thanks to a careless store clerk.
Zenki: 15,800yen - $127.99
Chip Chan Kick: 9,800yen - $79.38
Zeroigar: 9,800yen - $79.38
Blue Breaker: 1,800yen - $14.15

Everything else was under $10.  Anime Freak Vol 1-3 were only 208yen ($1.68) each!

Yes Der Langrisser does kick ass.  I have the full series on Saturn and have played them to death.  However Der Langrisser FX is supposed to be the best version of DerL and it was one thing that first attracted me to the system.

nat

Cool, I guess you paid about what I did, then. When I bought my PC-FX it cost me about $65 (after shipping) but mine wasn't boxed or anything.

I used to have a friend that lived in Tokyo so he'd shop Akihabara for me and then ship it. I paid less for Zeroigar ($50), but a little more on Chip Can Kick and Zenki.

And yeah, everything else $10 or less. I got the Anime Freak discs free at one point cuz my friend had extras.
Wayback - thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

Keranu

Congratulations (man you sure are rich and know how to buy expensive games right off the bat when you buy a new system  :mrgreen: )! You got some of the best games for the system in there, so you should be having some fun.
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

SuperDeadite

Quote from: Keranu on 06/16/2007, 06:25 PMCongratulations (man you sure are rich and know how to buy expensive games right off the bat when you buy a new system  :mrgreen: )! You got some of the best games for the system in there, so you should be having some fun.
I think "Stupid" is a better word then "Rich"  :wink:  I don't make a whole lot of money, but I can usually splurge every other month or so simply because I only have to pay the rent, and then about $10 a day on food really.  Everything else is profit.  When I was in the US I had to buy gas, pay drivers insurance, etc which eats up money fast.  Here in Japan my daily train commute is payed by the company so that alone frees up a lot of dough.

Keranu

Ahh good point, I guess all of us here are kinda like that then :D .
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

Turbo D

Ya, I'm like that too
Quote from: MissaFX on 01/06/2008, 12:10 PMMy idea of gaming is a couple of friends over, a couple of drinks, a couple of medical-handrolled-game-enhancing-cigs and a glowing box you all worship.
IMG IMG
IMG