RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... BT passed away early 2023 from health problems. He was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

PC-FX GA/PC-98 compatability

Started by Oli_lar, 05/19/2007, 09:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 0 Guests are viewing this topic.

Oli_lar

Instead of hunting down the DOS/V version of the PC-FX GA I thought I'd kill two birds and get the PC-98 version so I could get a PC-98 for games etc. I think I've got the later version, the one with the third CD that has a pink cover and some kind of RPG on it.

There isn't much information about about which models of PC-98 are compatable on the internet in english and my Japanese language skills are minimal at the moment (although I'm learning quite well!) so I was wondering if anyone know what model PC-98 I would need?

From what I know it would need C-bus slots (don't know if PC-98s come with any other type of slot?), CD drive, 3 and 1/2 inch floppy drive and Windows 95?

The 'PC98' isn't compatable is it? I think I read somewhere its a different architecture.

Any suggestions would help,

Oli

Seldane

#1
Get a PC-9821 model (there are like hundreds, it's hard to just say "get this particular one", etc - they'll all work), not a PC-9801 (ancient) one. I recommend at least a 200MHz machine.

PC-9821 machines will run a lot of PC-9801 software, except for some really old (like, early to mid 80's) stuff, which I consider a blessing, rather than something bad.

As long as you get a stationary machine, it'll have c-buses. Not to worry.

Look forward to the shipping costs.
Quote from: Seldane on 04/21/2007, 07:28 PMDVDs are for suckers. Illegally pirated and stolen videos all the way. No menus. No "DO NOT PIRATE THIS!" screens. No fuss. Only perfection. I honestly only pirate movies because that "don't pirate this" screen annoys me. :wink:
IMG
Indeed, it's AV time. Check out: IMG! Sir, the door was open.

Oli_lar

Nice one, I take it Yahoo Japan is the best way to go (with SMJ.com or whatever) in buying one?

Will I have to import a monitor along with it or will I be able to use my existing PC monitor or tv?

ta

Seldane

#3
Monitor depends I believe. Newer models can use regular ones. Yes, SMJ. You can use a PAL tv (with RGB) for the older models, but you'll need some sort of cable.
Quote from: Seldane on 04/21/2007, 07:28 PMDVDs are for suckers. Illegally pirated and stolen videos all the way. No menus. No "DO NOT PIRATE THIS!" screens. No fuss. Only perfection. I honestly only pirate movies because that "don't pirate this" screen annoys me. :wink:
IMG
Indeed, it's AV time. Check out: IMG! Sir, the door was open.

Oli_lar

OK, cheers. Do you have a PC-98 with a PC-FX GA installed or do you know how its done? I'm not a computer expert....