OMG! ZIRIA! ZIRIA!! ZIRIA!!! IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED!! 34 YEARS LATER!! The epic/legendary Tengai Makyou/Far East of Eden: Ziria JRPG has finally been localized! Supper the Subtitler struck again! Simply unstoppable, NOTHING can prevent him from TOTAL PCECD localization domination!!!! WHACHA GONNA DO BROTHER?!?!
Main Menu

Schbibin!

Started by _Paul, 10/23/2007, 04:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

_Paul

While researching for accuracy I cave come across some contradictions on the name of Schbibin Man.

Kaizou Chounin
Kaizou Ningen
Kaizou Choujin

So any ideas on which is correct?

ParanoiaDragon

Wow, beats me.  I know some have even called it Overhauldman.  Doesn't Chou mean Super?  Or is that only when it's not connected to another word, like with Choujin?
IMG

Tatsujin

i would say it is, Kaizou Choujin Shubibinman / 改造町人シュビビンマン, for the game. even "Chounin" would be the correct japanese pronunciation. but "choujin" is quite often used in all those games and animes.
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

_Paul

Ah, I broke out of utter laziness and bothered to look at the instruction manual and it is *drum roll*

Kaizou Choujin Schbibin Man

Turbo D

RTFM!  roflmao  :lol:
Quote from: MissaFX on 01/06/2008, 12:10 PMMy idea of gaming is a couple of friends over, a couple of drinks, a couple of medical-handrolled-game-enhancing-cigs and a glowing box you all worship.
IMG IMG
IMG

_Paul

I'd checked Schbibin Man 3 but I couldn't be bothered to walk 2 paces to my cupboard to get out Schbibin Man 1 which is the only one with the hiragana equivalent on the cover :P

spenoza

What's with the "Schbibin" stuff? I've never seen those characters romanized that way. It's Shubibin. Some romanization schemes might write it "syubibin", but that's dumb  :)

_Paul

Quote from: guest on 10/23/2007, 09:36 AMIt's Shubibin.
Game manual:
/schbibinta8.jpg

It's also interesting to note the different Katakana spellings: Shu.Bi.Bi.N for the name of the game, and Shu.Bi.Bii.Mu inside, almost as if it's a 'Schubi/Shubi Beam' weapon..?

ccovell

Duh, his/her charge shot is called the Shubibeam!

And never mind the insane romanization of Shubibin, Schbbn, Sczeczobean, Scheissen, etc...  the Japanese almost never succeed at matching up Katakana -> Roman Consonant/Vowel combinations.

_Paul

Quote from: ccovell on 10/23/2007, 10:20 AMAnd never mind the insane romanization of Shubibin, Schbbn, Sczeczobean, Scheissen, etc...  the Japanese almost never succeed at matching up Katakana -> Roman Consonant/Vowel combinations.
I wouldn't say almost never at all.

But in this case, considering it's a word they made up and the romanisation they have chosen is obviously valid, there seems no good reason to spell it otherwise. If we ignored all Japanese romanisation then we'd still be calling games Erudisu, Koriyuun and Nekusuzaaru.

Tatsujin

Quote from: ccovell on 10/23/2007, 10:20 AMScheissen, etc...
rolf..did you study german language? :lol:
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

NecroPhile

Quote from: ccovell on 10/23/2007, 10:20 AMScheissen
Wasn't that title translated to "Deep Blue"?  :lol:
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Tatsujin

Quote from: guest on 10/23/2007, 12:10 PM
Quote from: ccovell on 10/23/2007, 10:20 AMScheissen
Wasn't that title translated to "Deep Blue"?  :lol:
no. if i'm not wrong, it was "stink". :lol:

nat

Wayback - thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

_Paul

I've actually seen it advertised before as Shibibub Man. I'd be interested to know where the title Overhauled Man comes from as I remember that too.

nat

QuoteI've actually seen it advertised before as Shibibub Man. I'd be interested to know where the title Overhauled Man comes from as I remember that too.
I was told at one time that "Overhauled" was the translation of Shibebubop or whatever it is.

Although I've seen "Overhauled" used in reference to those games less and less as time passes so maybe someone just made it up one day.

Personally, I'm content with calling it the "Shockman" series since everyone knows what I'm talking about.
Wayback - thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

_Paul

It's funny how imports used to get certain names attached to them. The Kung Fu being called Drunken Master was probably one of the most prominent, I assume because that was the first Martial Arts film importers could think of (and it had a JC lookalike in it).

Spector

QuoteI've actually seen it advertised before as Shibibub Man. I'd be interested to know where the title Overhauled Man comes from as I remember that too.
I seem to remember it being called Overhauled Man back in the Mean Machines era of UK games reviews. Maybe there's a different way of translating games from back then, or maybe Rignall and co just made it up.
You've got to feel the thrill... of disgust!
The beauty... of obscenity!

ParanoiaDragon

I think the first time I saw it called Overhauledman, was for the 3rd game, in Turbo Play, but I could be wrong.
IMG

CrackTiger

I think the first places I saw it called Overhauled Man was when one or more of the mail order stores that advertised in game mags back in the day listed it as such.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Kaminari

Chris is right about the Japanese being bad at romanization. But correct or not, Engrish titles are official. The "Schbibinman" writing is further evidenced in the Super Famicom episode (Kaizō Chōjin Schbibinman Zero).

spenoza

The problem with "official" English names bestowed by the Japanese designers or publishers is that they often change depending on what part of the manual you're reading. In light of that, determining the actual, de facto English title can be a bit like tying a blindfold across your eyes and trying to guess the number of jelly beans in a jar of indeterminate size which is being hidden in a closed, unlit room.

Tatsujin

which do you prefer?

"Bazar de Gozâru no Game de Gozâru" vs. "Bazâru de Gozâru no Gêmu de Gozâru"

Keranu

Quote from: Tatsujin on 10/24/2007, 10:06 PMwhich do you prefer?

"Bazar de Gozâru no Game de Gozâru" vs. "Bazâru de Gozâru no Gêmu de Gozâru"
The one with the least amount of pointy arrows!
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

ccovell

Bazaru is better, because the title and game make fun of the main character, a monkey (saru/zaru)

Tatsujin

exactly..and that's the point. it's like a rime. and therefore, sometimes it doesn't make sense to romanize it into accurate english, because the whole intention behind would be gone!

CrackTiger

Quote from: Tatsujin on 10/24/2007, 11:03 PMexactly..and that's the point. it's like a rime. and therefore, sometimes it doesn't make sense to romanize it into accurate english, because the whole intention behind would be gone!
Kinda like "Far The Earth: Neo Metal Fantasy". :P
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

_Paul

However Schbibin is different because it's a made up word that only has one romanised translation by the makers giving us little to no reason to spell it otherwise, with the exception that we feel that as fans we are always correct. It can be a judgement call in some games, but in this case I think it's pretty clear cut.

CrackTiger

Quote from: guest on 10/28/2007, 05:02 AMHowever Schbibin is different because it's a made up word that only has one romanised translation by the makers giving us little to no reason to spell it otherwise, with the exception that we feel that as fans we are always correct. It can be a judgement call in some games, but in this case I think it's pretty clear cut.
Shwaybabymen it is then! :P

spenoza

Hey, don't argue with the Kind of the Universe! It's shoobiedoobieman or my name isn't... er... Rick!

Tatsujin

Turbo D

lol, that was sweet  8)
Quote from: MissaFX on 01/06/2008, 12:10 PMMy idea of gaming is a couple of friends over, a couple of drinks, a couple of medical-handrolled-game-enhancing-cigs and a glowing box you all worship.
IMG IMG
IMG

Spector

Can someone tell me what the menus mean in this game? You've got four options on the right hand side in Japanese, and some text at the bottom, and I'm just wondering what it's all about. I'm guessing that the money you pick up is connected to the amount of continues you have, but I'm not sure.
You've got to feel the thrill... of disgust!
The beauty... of obscenity!