RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

TurboBooster for sale ------sold

Started by thesteve, 07/04/2011, 04:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thesteve

CGQuarterly

Awesome deal.  I can't believe that no one has jumped on it yet.

Chris

(Sarcasm)

thesteve

thesteve

bump...
the listing ended, but its still for sale.
make me an offer if interested.

CGQuarterly

Quote from: thesteve on 07/06/2011, 09:17 PMthe listing ended, but its still for sale.
I'm just as shocked as you are.

Chris

thesteve

never said i was shocked

BlueBMW

Honesty Id say closer to $20 - $25 would be expected around here.

Steves a good guy though.  He's brought a ton of expertise to the tech crew here!
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

CGQuarterly

I never said I was shocked, either.  I said that I was just as shocked as you were.  Relax, I'm just breaking balls.  You can't expect people around here to jump at eBay pricing on things.  You can say "make offer", but when you're asking roughly twice what something is worth to us, most people are probably just going to move on.

Chris

thesteve

its been relisted, with bids

Mishran

I've been looking for a Booster (Plus) for a while, but I fear that is a little more than I'd pay for one... and likely why I'll never have one. Heh Cheer for making it available though. I'm sure someone will jump on it.

RR1980

yeah considering how anything tg16 related has been going up to crazy prices lately this one is actually a really good price not to mention with it coming from thesteve you know it's gonna be in great working condition! :)

nat

From a practical standpoint, the TurboBooster (non-Plus version) is a completely worthless piece of hardware.

This thing was almost obsolete from day one because of the TurboBooster Plus, and was rendered totally so as soon as the relevant pins to tap off the expansion port for composite video and stereo sound became known back in the mid 90s. I remember finding the info on the TurboList circa 1996 and fabricating some of my own "custom" cables that did everything the standard Booster does, short of doubling the size of my console.

I can say all this without any guilt, since the listing has ended, but the only value something like this could possible have would be to some insane RoyVegas-type collector that thinks anything "TurboGrafx" branded means "big money."

Even if someone could somehow argue that they were unable to figure out how to tap off the expansion port and create their own composite cable, that they couldn't find someone on these forums to do it for them for cheap (or free), and that they absolutely had to have composite from their TG-16 but never wanted a CD-ROM, there'd still be no argument for buying one of these over a TurboBooster Plus.

Bernie

I didnt even know they had two versions....  Do they look the same?  Whats the difference?

VestCunt

The TB and TB+ both provide y/r/w RCA jacks.  Their output on the audio signal is slightly louder and bassier than that of a Duo.  The main difference between the two Boosters is that the TB+ contains a back-up RAM bank so you can save game data as if you had a CD attachment.  It doesn't have a BIOS editor, so you can't delete or format, but some Turbochips contain simple editors.  The Tennokoe Bank hucard can access the TB+ if you have an adapter or region mod.

That's about it.  IIRC, the TB+ is slightly bigger than the regular TB. 
Topic Adjourned.

VestCunt

Quote from: nat on 07/12/2011, 02:39 AMFrom a practical standpoint, the TurboBooster (non-Plus version) is a completely worthless piece of hardware.
It's a sturdy replacement to the flimsy dust cover!
Topic Adjourned.

Bernie

Well, awesome!  I had no clue they had two versions.  Why in the world would they make one that did not have the save data option?  Thats just insane.

NecroPhile

Cheaper for those that didn't care about saves, though I can't see anyone that cheap willing to shell out for better a/v either.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

VestCunt

Quote from: bernielindell on 07/15/2011, 01:34 PMWell, awesome!  I had no clue they had two versions.  Why in the world would they make one that did not have the save data option?  Thats just insane.
Saving data wasn't all that important when it comes to the original orange-label games (and later turbochips, to a lesser extent).  The passwords are short and the RPGs few.  When the Boosters were released, it was nice to save hi scores and Neutopia files, but that was about it (DE1 and DD don't access back-up RAM). 

On the other hand, the lack of stereo sound kind of sucked.  Just listen to China Warrior on headphones - it rocks and the tunes are full of stereo imaging!  Memory was expensive and the plain TB was much cheaper at $34.99 compared to $59.99 for the TB+. 

Obviously, making two models was stupid, both were overpriced, and I'm just playing devil's advocate here, but I can kind of see why they did it.   
Topic Adjourned.

nat

It was all a marketing gimmick, pure and simple.

Anyone with half a brain could "add" stereo sound to their TG-16 by 1995 or 96 just by using the info on the TurboList server back in the day. Granted that information was not readily available in 1991 or whenever the Boosters first came out, but surely any forward-thinking individual would've seen the practicality of the Booster Plus over the Booster.

Personally, I didn't get the CHANCE to give a shit about the stereo issue until '95 or '96 anyway, since the TV I was using up until that point had only one speaker.

farankoshan

Quote from: nat on 07/15/2011, 09:50 PMAnyone with half a brain could "add" stereo sound to their TG-16 by 1995 or 96 just by using the info on the TurboList server back in the day....
Wait, you mean there is a way to feed stereo sound out of the TG-16 without the use of a Booster? :) Pray tell, for I am in need of such wisdom! :)
"MISSION INCOMPLETE: I cannot fuck up for this."
- Download, PC-Engine (1990)

NecroPhile

Quote from: farankoshan on 09/29/2011, 03:19 PMWait, you mean there is a way to feed stereo sound out of the TG-16 without the use of a Booster? :) Pray tell, for I am in need of such wisdom! :)
Stereo sound and composite video can be tapped off the expansion port.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

farankoshan

Is there a thread to show how to do this? :)
"MISSION INCOMPLETE: I cannot fuck up for this."
- Download, PC-Engine (1990)

thesteve

its direct pin
just search for the pinout