OMG! ZIRIA! ZIRIA!! ZIRIA!!! IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED!! 34 YEARS LATER!! The epic/legendary Tengai Makyou/Far East of Eden: Ziria JRPG has finally been localized! Supper the Subtitler struck again! Simply unstoppable, NOTHING can prevent him from TOTAL PCECD localization domination!!!! WHACHA GONNA DO BROTHER?!?!
Main Menu

The Anime Thread: Finding Good Anime

Started by DragonmasterDan, 07/08/2011, 12:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Emerald Rocker

RyuHayabusa, please post your YuYu Hakusho thoughts after watching it.  That's one I read about a looooooong time ago, and just never got around to picking up.  I'd be interested in knowing what you think at this point as a first-time viewer (since that would be my situation too!)
Official member of the PCEFX 4K Post Club

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: RyuHayabusa on 06/16/2018, 03:15 PMAnyone else get the Robot Carnival Blu-Ray that came out not that long ago? I must say it's one of the best BR anime releases I've ever seen due to the all the extra content. They really went all out. Wish they did that with more old school anime releases. Picked up Vampire Hunter D and Golgo 13 The Professional on BR hoping for more extras but was let down a bit. Also, anyone here a fan of Yu Yu Hakusho? Just picked up the full series on DVD and getting ready to jump into it for the first time. Heard some good things about it so I decided to give it a try.
I picked it up it looks nice. There's a great behind the scenes video that explains a lot of the history of Streamline pictures.

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 06/16/2018, 03:21 PMI probably would have gotten the Robot Carnival BR if they hadn't decided to crop the thing to wide screen.  I know they say it was "always meant to be" wide but I've been watching it for decades in with the variable ratios, usually 4:3 so it would probably drive me nuts to watch it cropped.
I wish they could have included both aspect ratios, I have a few cels from the Robo Frankenstein sequence and I was hoping to do a screen capture to print up a proper background for them, but at 16x9 it's considerably smaller than the actual shot with a lot of the painted cel not in the cropped widescreen shot.
--DragonmasterDan

SignOfZeta

I never thought of trying that before. I have a cel from Only Yesterday that could benifit from that sort of thing greatly.
IMG

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 06/16/2018, 09:00 PMI never thought of trying that before. I have a cel from Only Yesterday that could benifit from that sort of thing greatly.
I've done it on more than a few cels, sometimes you have to zoom out so the background you're printing can be a little lower in resolution. But it beats having no background or a mismatched one.
--DragonmasterDan

RyuHayabusa

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 06/16/2018, 03:21 PMI probably would have gotten the Robot Carnival BR if they hadn't decided to crop the thing to wide screen.  I know they say it was "always meant to be" wide but I've been watching it for decades in with the variable ratios, usually 4:3 so it would probably drive me nuts to watch it cropped.
Interesting. Over the years I've watched Robot Carnival many times, especially Deprive and Presence, my two favorite segments, and I did not even notice the BR release was cropped. I did enjoy the interview about Streamline Pictures a lot. Say what you will about Carl Macek, what he did to introduce anime to America was considerable. To this day most of my favorite anime was released by Streamline, including Robot Carnival, Fist of the North Star, Golgo 13, Akira, and Vampire Hunter D. I still have a few nagging questions about Presence that I guess will never be answered, like why is the protagonist's wife's face obscured, why does he stare at the dumpster full of robot parts, and a few others. Does he use parts from the robot dumpster to finish the "Uemetsu's Fantasy Girl"?

TR0N

Quote from: RyuHayabusa on 06/17/2018, 07:27 PM
Quote from: SignOfZeta on 06/16/2018, 03:21 PM
Fist of the North Star
Speaking of FOTNS it has just been released again on BR looking to buying this release.That will round it out since i all ready have the tv series on BR.
http://www.amazon.com/Fist-North-Star-Movie-Blu-ray/dp/B07CDCF335/
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

RyuHayabusa

Quote from: TR0N on 06/18/2018, 12:20 AM
Quote from: RyuHayabusa on 06/17/2018, 07:27 PM
Quote from: SignOfZeta on 06/16/2018, 03:21 PM
Fist of the North Star
Speaking of FOTNS it has just been released again on BR looking to buying this release.That will round it out since i all ready have the tv series on BR.
http://www.amazon.com/Fist-North-Star-Movie-Blu-ray/dp/B07CDCF335/
Cool, I didn't know it was coming out on BR. Definitely have to pick it up. Looks like there aren't many extras on it, though the original Japanese ending is on there. I had wanted to get the FOTNS tv series on BR but I had read that the picture quality wasn't any better than the DVD release. What did you think of the BR picture quality?

SignOfZeta

It exactly the same. Its an "SDBR". They only put it on on BR to save them from pressing dozens of discs.
IMG

Gypsy

Quote from: RyuHayabusa on 06/16/2018, 03:15 PMAnyone else get the Robot Carnival Blu-Ray that came out not that long ago? I must say it's one of the best BR anime releases I've ever seen due to the all the extra content. They really went all out. Wish they did that with more old school anime releases. Picked up Vampire Hunter D and Golgo 13 The Professional on BR hoping for more extras but was let down a bit. Also, anyone here a fan of Yu Yu Hakusho? Just picked up the full series on DVD and getting ready to jump into it for the first time. Heard some good things about it so I decided to give it a try.
Castle of Cagliostro is excellent in this regard. Discotek generally tries but sometimes licensing issues get in the way. Yu Yu Hakusho was always one of my favorite shonen fighting animes. I wonder how many people kept watching after the DT to the conclusion. I did, but I know many people that did not.

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 06/19/2018, 12:12 AMIt exactly the same. Its an "SDBR". They only put it on on BR to save them from pressing dozens of discs.
Correct. It's convenient but there are issues for children that use video game consoles as a media player (they don't like to play nice on PS4 in particular from what I remember of the complaints, though Discotek is working on this).

I started on Lupin Part IV the other day. The Papik music took some adjusting (think I will end up getting the sub release) but otherwise this is just great in general. Feels like it's going to end up being a favorite.

Medic_wheat

Medic_wheat

If you want Robot Carnival Blu-ray for only $13 it's on sale today only at that price as the mega deal at Rightstuff.

Gypsy

SignOfZeta

Quote from: Gypsy on 08/02/2018, 09:58 AMhttps://www.rightstufanime.com/Patlabor-the-Mobile-Police-Ultimate-Collection-Blu-ray

Just discovered this upcoming release, and pre-ordered it.
That's a suspiciously good deal. Is it SDBR or some half-bit rate bullshit for gainjin?

I guess that third Patlabor movie isn't going away, ehh?
IMG

Medic_wheat

Quote from: Gypsy on 08/02/2018, 09:58 AMhttps://www.rightstufanime.com/Patlabor-the-Mobile-Police-Ultimate-Collection-Blu-ray

What?  Shoot and here I bought the individual blu-rays for the tv show and OVA last year.

SignOfZeta

Historically US versions of Patlabor start out at $$$ and make it all the way down to ¢¢¢ before they disappear. Nobody seems to value it here, which is fucked because taken as a whole Patlabor is better than %75 of Gundam and all of Macross but nobody seems to care. It also didn't get shitty until WXIII which is a very long time to maintain a consistently high level of quality.

I paid half as much for this box set as I did for one Patlabor movie on VHS. I'm not bitter.

The timing of this is pretty good, btw. I was watching a VHS copy of Patlabor Music Clips just the other night. It reminded me how great the animation is in that show and how most of it I haven't seen in the last 20 years. I guess I know how to watch it next time.
IMG

nectarsis

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 08/02/2018, 04:04 PMtaken as a whole Patlabor is better than %75 of Gundam and all of Macross but nobody seems to care
you will PAYYYYYY lol
My Blogger profile with all my blogs of wonderment:
blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436

Gypsy

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 08/02/2018, 12:48 PM

That's a suspicially good deal. Is it SDBR or some half-bit rate bullshit for gainjin?

I guess that third Patlabor movie isn't going away, ehh?
Lol. My guess is they figure they already made their money at the current individual release price points. I think you are joking but afaik only Discotek does SD blus.

SignOfZeta

That may be true about SDBRs but some cheap Western releases are made with much lower bit rates. I know some 999 stuff is like that and the newer Gundam OVAs as well. I'm not expert on it though.
IMG

Gypsy

It wouldn't surprise me if some US BDs were worse on purpose due to reverse importing.

SignOfZeta

Yeah. That's exactly why. There are shows with hard subs for the same reason, I think that may have been 999 also.
IMG

Gypsy

Sometimes they just wait too. It was 9 years before the US got Rosario Vampire on BD. The funny thing is that's just a stupid boob anime where nothing happens.

Anyway, I would assume they will be the same exact BDs from the individual releases. Either way that should be quickly confirmed. Actually I'll contact MJ about it.

xcrement5x

I finally watched One Punch Man, it was pretty entertaining.

Medic_wheat

Quote from: guest on 08/08/2018, 11:40 PMI finally watched One Punch Man, it was pretty entertaining.
In which case you might enjoy Mobosycho 100. It's be the same creator of 1 punch. However I found the story in mob to be better and more entertaining.

Mathius

Quote from: guest on 08/08/2018, 11:40 PMI finally watched One Punch Man, it was pretty entertaining.
Good! Make sure you check out My Hero Academia as well like I told you to do.  :-$

Edit: Oops sorry that was Paranoia Dragon that I was talking to. Oh well.

...Do it anyway  :-$

xcrement5x

Quote from: Mathius on 08/09/2018, 03:19 PM
Good! Make sure you check out My Hero Academia as well like I told you to do.  :-$

Lol I have actually already been watching that one.

Mathius

Quote from: guest on 08/09/2018, 06:11 PM
Quote from: Mathius on 08/09/2018, 03:19 PM

Lol I have actually already been watching that one.
Good. It's awesome!

Gypsy

Discotek day!

Highlights for me are Kimagure Orange Road and Giant Robo BD.

All announcements can be found on their twitter: https://twitter.com/discotekmedia

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: Gypsy on 08/12/2018, 02:13 PMDiscotek day!

All announcements can be found on their twitter: https://twitter.com/discotekmedia
Nice,

On a side note I noticed Mary and the Witch's Flower is already on Netflix.
--DragonmasterDan

xcrement5x

They are really doing a good job satisfying the older anime watcher.

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: guest on 08/18/2018, 01:17 PM

I have a lot of Discotek releases, they definitely are the elite vintage anime Publisher in the US.
--DragonmasterDan

SignOfZeta

I thought I heard somewhere that they were responsible for %35 of the release schedule after that last wave. I just hope they don't screw up and go out of business like so many others. At least not before they release everything ever.
IMG

Mathius

It looks like Discotek is releasing the original Area 88 this year! I've been after that for eons.

xcrement5x

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 08/20/2018, 07:53 PMI thought I heard somewhere that they were responsible for %35 of the release schedule after that last wave. I just hope they don't screw up and go out of business like so many others. At least not before they release everything ever.
Lol, and admirable goal.  If they could license and release all of Lum as a box set I'd be ecstatic. 

TR0N

Aura Battler Dunbine,bluray is coming to the u.s this show was created by yoshiyuki tomino but like with gundam what a depressing ending.
https://www.rightstufanime.com/Aura-Battler-Dunbine-Blu-ray

The show did have a interesting mix of sci-fi/fantasy.
IMG

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: TR0N on 08/21/2018, 12:26 AMAura Battler Dunbine,bluray is coming to the u.s this show was created by yoshiyuki tomino but like with gundam what a depressing ending.
These came out on DVD ages ago as well, I recall Carl Macek was involved.
--DragonmasterDan

xcrement5x

The later DVDs had insane prices actually, it was pretty crazy.

Gypsy

Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 08/20/2018, 05:51 PM
Quote from: guest on 08/18/2018, 01:17 PM

I have a lot of Discotek releases, they definitely are the elite vintage anime Publisher in the US.
It's not even close.

Quote from: guest on 08/20/2018, 10:29 PM
Quote from: SignOfZeta on 08/20/2018, 07:53 PMI thought I heard somewhere that they were responsible for %35 of the release schedule after that last wave. I just hope they don't screw up and go out of business like so many others. At least not before they release everything ever.
Lol, and admirable goal.  If they could license and release all of Lum as a box set I'd be ecstatic.
It would be multiple sets, but I'm sure they want to do it.

Quote from: guest on 08/22/2018, 10:09 PMThe later DVDs had insane prices actually, it was pretty crazy.
Basically unbuyable. Another release was sorely needed.

TR0N

Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 08/22/2018, 05:56 PM
Quote from: TR0N on 08/21/2018, 12:26 AMAura Battler Dunbine,bluray is coming to the u.s this show was created by yoshiyuki tomino but like with gundam what a depressing ending.
That they did through adv films but after they went out of print prices for them sky rocketed.All i have is a bootleg set of them which is a rip of the adv release.Still it doesn't hurt that aura is getting a official release for bluray.Really though,these releases for 80's anime have been slow but it's getting there.
IMG

Medic_wheat

Quote from: TR0N on 08/23/2018, 12:37 AM
That they did through adv films but after they went out of print prices for them sky rocketed.All i have is a bootleg set of them which is a rip of the adv release.Still it doesn't hurt that aura is getting a official release for bluray.Really though,these releases for 80's anime have been slow but it's getting there.
I think I backed this Blu-ray and English dub off Kickstarter.

TR0N

Quote from: Medic_wheat on 08/23/2018, 05:51 PM
Quote from: TR0N on 08/23/2018, 12:37 AM
I think I backed this Blu-ray and English dub off Kickstarter.
It was a kickstarter huh i didn't know it's good it's coming to bluray then.If it's the only way for 80's anime to come to bluray i'm all for it.
IMG

Gypsy

Huh, I never knew that was on KS.

Medic_wheat

Quote from: Gypsy on 08/28/2018, 09:48 AMHuh, I never knew that was on KS.
I just double checked. It was Aria the Animation hat was KS dubbed and put in Blu-ray. Sorry for the confusion.

xcrement5x

Aria is cute but a bit too much style over substance I feel.

SignOfZeta

Yeah, I'd rather watch Wingman, Video Girl Ai, or something else the guy did. Wingman was a big deal for me as a kid.
IMG

Medic_wheat

I am finally taking some time to watch an Anime I bought during a sale.

That anime being "School Live".

On episode one but I think knowing. The twist ahead of time is making the set up to be less inticing.

DragonmasterDan

I picked up the whole series of Space Adventure Cobra a few weeks back on a RightStuf clearance.
--DragonmasterDan

xcrement5x

NightWolve

QuoteTotoro is going to be shown in theaters this weekend, take your kiddos!

http://gkidstickets.com/us/studio-ghibli-fest-2018-my-neighbor-totoro/
IMG
https://i.postimg.cc/KjXtJr7G/My-Neighbor-Totoro.jpg

Nice! I had rented the DVD Special Edition at my local library some years back as I recall, they have the full stock of Studio Ghibli localized movies.