@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

TurboGrafx-16 / PC Engine / Express / GT Region Mod Chips for sale!

Started by BlueBMW, 07/23/2011, 10:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FiftyQuid

Quote from: thesteve on 06/06/2013, 04:07 PMwith the cart removed the mod can be tested with a meter
it works just like a switch (with a few ohms in the chip)
so you should be able to measure the continuity from the motherboard to the slot
Makes sense.  I don't like the location so I'm going to move it to another area of the MB.  This means resoldering pretty much everything, but once I'm done I'll definitely test the continuity at the HUcard slot.

Can I assume that B to C (measuring 0 volts) is for NTSC and that A to B (measuring 5V) is for Japan?
I'm busy playing pinball, but I still drop by to visit.

thesteve

FiftyQuid

Still no luck BlueBMW, and thesteve. :(

Last night I removed the region mod chip (RMC) and every piece of wire I had used.  I threw the 26 gauge wire I had used into the garbage and replaced it with some 30 gauge stuff from my workplace.  The sheathing has an extremely high threshold to heat and I find it easy to work with so I figured I would try it.  I replaced every single piece of wire and started soldering everything back together.  When I was done I inserted a spare KC HUcard again and inserted the raw MB into the expansion bus of the TG+CD docking base (I wasn't reassembling everything again to test it out).  I connected B to C with a few simple twists, powered up the docking base, and then powered up the TG-16.  Same result - white TV screen.  To be thorough, I removed the KC HUcard and inserted Legend of Hero Tonma (PCE) instead.  Then I connected A to B and powered everything up again - same result (white TV screen).

Disheartened, I grabbed my multimeter and checked for connectivity from the "H" connections on the RMC to the HUcard slot.  I used the underside of the RMC for checking connectivity.  All 8 wires passed.  I did not check the connectivity for the "P" connections as these 8 wires are the shorter of the runs and also much easier to solder.  It was also midnight. 8) I did inspect them visually and they look perfect.

Tonight I will check the "P" side for proper connectivity and I will also install a proper SPDT.

In the past, or when you guys install the RMC, do you reassemble the entire console before testing?  I don't want to put the whole thing back together without making sure it passes first, but I'm wondering if the RF shielding needs to be there for proper ground.  I have my doubts.  I am really just grasping at straws here.

BlueBMW

I always test them apart... but on the tg16 I dont run it long since part of the rf shield acts as a heatsink for the voltage regulator.

If you still have no luck, Ill mail you another chip or two and some cash for your wasted time.
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

FiftyQuid

Quote from: BlueBMW on 06/07/2013, 11:21 AMI always test them apart... but on the tg16 I dont run it long since part of the rf shield acts as a heatsink for the voltage regulator.

If you still have no luck, Ill mail you another chip or two and some cash for your wasted time.
Don't send me any cash!  If I ignore the fact that I can't get this thing working and that there's been no payoff, it's still been a fun and interesting project.

Do you really think it's the RMC?  I mean there's only a single component on it.

Here are a few pictures.  Maybe I'm missing something plain as day.  This first pic is me unpackaging the brand new RMC from the Ziploc.  I was concerned about some of the solder on the chip.  In the picture you can see there is already solder filling holes 19P and 21H on the PCB.

/regionmodchip.png

Here's a shot of my second attempt at this installation.  It's the underside of the TG-16 MB.  I'll post a shot of the top side (HUcard side) tonight.  I just happened to have this underside pic on my phone.  On my first attempt I mounted the RMC on top of the HUcard slot as you show in the instruction manual, but I didn't like the placement (I didn't want to cut anything) so I relocated it when I had to redo all the soldering.

/regionmodbarnacled.png

Do you see anything I may have missed?  It's hard to tell in the pic, but who knows.

BlueBMW

Did you run a wire for ground on the chip?

Also, you can snap off the unused switchless board part.
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

FiftyQuid

Yes I did.  I ran it in after I took this picture.  I have it soldered to the left of the "CN102" connector.  Right above the number 37, and 38 on the MB.  It's soldered to one of the spots the RF shield is usually soldered.

Yeah, I know I could snap the useless bit off, but it helps me whenever I'm soldering (gives me something to hold) so I just left it on.

[EDIT]  I installed a proper SPDT switch today.  No luck.  I'll try removing everything and reconnecting the original HUcard pins this weekend.  If that doesn't work then I have killed  :shock: a TurboGrafx-16.

FiftyQuid

*Double post*

So tonight I removed the wiring and the RMC from my TG-16.  I had a hard time believing the region mod chip was at fault so I decided to wire everything back the way it was.  It wasn't easy, but I think it came out pretty nicely;

/img20130607223637.jpg

So I wired everything back to factory default and insert it into the TG-CD docking base.  I flipped both power switches.  Nothing.  Just the same white TV screen.  I check the RCA cables (again) to ensure they are plugged in correctly and are inserted into Video 1.  They are.  I pull out the Keith Courage HUcard and insert another one.  Same result.

I'm baffled.  I don't know what has happened, but it's obviously something I did while trying to mod the console.  It definitely was not the region mod chip at fault.  Old PCB's like this aren't exactly complicated, but I don't know what the issue is.  Visually the MB looks identical to what it looked when I first cracked open the housing.  The fuse is good, capacitors are good.  The only visual difference is some very minor melting (visable in the pic) on the HUcard slot where I came too close with the soldering iron.

As a last ditch effort, I went ahead and soldered the RF shielding back into place.  My thought process being that maybe it provided a GND that I wasn't aware of.  Unfortunately, it didn't help.  The result was still a white TV screen.

For anyone reading this, I would like to state whole heartedly that I do not blame the region mod chip for this failure.  This is obviously a user error (the user being me).  I obviously screwed something up at some point along the way.

I will remove the RF shielding later this weekend and inspection the MB closer.  If anyone has any troubleshooting methods for getting my TG-16 working again I'm all ears.

I may have just killed a TG-16.

*prays to turbo gods for forgiveness*

[EDIT]
BlueBMW, the reason why I mentioned pin 29 earlier was because of this post;
Quote from: BlueBMWedojapan's TG16 is the first US system I've ever heard of needing the pin 29 grounded on in order for the region switch to work.  I'll be adding a note to the install guide.  Maybe some of the very late (or very early) TG16s were a little different as far as region lockout goes.

Congrats on the great install edojapan!
It's from earlier on in this thread.

turbokon

Just wanted to let everyone know that you can buy the region mod chips from my website:)

www.tg16pcemods.com
Turbo fan since 1991 after owning my first system.

Check out my website:)
www.tg16pcemods.com

BlueBMW

rax

Hi,

I have fully recap my GT, and now I am thinking about modding it with Region Switchless Mod.

Are you planning to restock :

Region Mod Chip   $18 shipped ?
Switchless Control Board   $4 extra ?

turbokon

Yeah, we're working on getting more. We need to revise the main board anyways. Will keep y'all posted.

www.tg16pcemods.com

rax

Thanks for your answer.  :D

If you have switchless boards only I will be interested for other project. Please let me know.

GohanX

Fidde_se

FiftyQuid that "ESD Safe" carpet in the background might be the culprint... unfortunately...
GW/GB/GBP/GBL/GBC/GBA/GBASP/GBASP2/GBM/DS/DSL/DSiXL/3DS/PM/VB/FC/NES/SNES/N64/GC/Wii/PS/PSONE/PS2/PS2S/
SMS/SMS2/GG/NOM/MD/MD2/MD3/MD1CD/SS/DC/XB/XB360/NGP/NGPC/NGPC2/WS/WSC/CSW/PCEGT/PCE/PCECG1/PCECG2/
PCECD/TG16TE/NGAGE/GIZ/GP32/GP2XF1/GP2XF2/GP2XWIZ/GP2XCAN/DA320/ST520/ST1040/LNX/LNX2/JAG/PORT/CD32/A500/
C64/CDi/VMU/POCKSTN/PSP/PSPCFW/FDS/VSM

BlueBMW

Small update here...

It appears that the original run of these region mod chips is just about sold out.  As a result, we are working on making some new region mod chips.  A few revisions are being made and also some changes to hopefully make them easier to install.

GohanX

max 330 mega

cant wait for these new batch to be released, i really need one!
Blast away and go go go!!!

rax

turbokon

The revised boards are sent out to be made.  They should arrived in a few weeks.

www.tg16pcemods.com

GohanX

thesteve

The circuit was revised slightly for better chip compatability
Had an issue with a few cbt3383 chips refusing to latch on original circuit 2

turbokon

Also some other things were revised to make installation much easier I think.

www.tg16pcemods.com

turbokon

The new region boards are shipped, they should arrive later this week.

www.tg16pcemods.com

GohanX

turbokon

The new boards are in. I will install one to make sure everything works.

www.tg16pcemods.com

turbokon

The new region boards are now available for sale:)

IMG
IMG
IMG

www.tg16pcemods.com

FiftyQuid

NecroPhile

Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

BlueBMW

turbokon

I also notice that the new revised region board works better with the turbo everdrive.  I just did three pc-engine's and the everdrive fired up ok on all three.

www.tg16pcemods.com

turbokon

www.tg16pcemods.com

thesteve

BlueBMW

thesteve

Yes thinner
I cut the board to half thickness
Cut a hole for the chip and soldered it on with the bulk of the chip through the board for an example

BlueBMW

turbokon

Whoa thesteve, that's seem like a lot of work:)

I know there's no room for the bottom shield with the current configuration in the TE/GT.  Maybe there is a better spot for the region chip like opposite of battery bay area.

www.tg16pcemods.com

BlueBMW

I think the secondary goal here is to make the wires as short as possible so fitting the chip as close to the hucard slot as possible is desirable.

thesteve

Both correct
Even with the current board thickness were the board notched, thickness wouldn't be an issue
That's why I have have been installing the chip without the board

turbokon

That's why you're the master thesteve:). I tried installing without the board once, I had trouble with it.

www.tg16pcemods.com

thesteve

BlueBMW

Whats different about those two?  They look smaller but are there some performance or efficiency gains to be had?

thesteve

the 5 pin chip is 1 channel of the 4001 (about the size of the transistors i used for the component circuit)

the 3383 is the same, only half size

turbokon

www.tg16pcemods.com

turbokon

www.tg16pcemods.com

turbokon

www.tg16pcemods.com

turbokon

Don't forget, you can still get the obey region chip from me.  Pricing structure changed.  It's now $16 plus $2.50 for shipping with in the us.

www.tg16pcemods.com