10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

WiiMednafen

Started by Burnt Lasagna, 10/30/2011, 05:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Burnt Lasagna

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 11/02/2011, 06:57 PMIt would be pretty awesome typing out commands with the Wiimote.
You're in luck! Use DOSBox Wii and all you're dreams will come true.
What Button Do You Press To Jump!?!

Arkhan Asylum

Zeta, film yourself doing that.  It'll be hilarious I bet.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

_Paul

I expect many people's experience with Mednafen will be like mine.
1. Download File
2. Unzip file
3. Click exe
4. Nothing happens so go back to using Magic Engine

OldRover

Magic Engine blows compared to Mednafen.
Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

Burnt Lasagna

Quote from: guest on 11/06/2011, 03:28 PMI expect many people's experience with Mednafen will be like mine.
1. Download File
2. Unzip file
3. Click exe
4. Nothing happens so go back to using Magic Engine
Dude, we get it!
"Mednafen hard man, why can't be simple and pretty like magic engine and Ootake?"
Come on guys! Has anyone besides geise even tried the Wii port? You know, the actual topic of this thread!

Arkhan Asylum

Im kind of curious why its even worth playing it on the wii?  just curious really. 
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

OldRover

Because it easily tramples all over the "official" emulator on the Wii.
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

Burnt Lasagna

Quote from: guest on 11/07/2011, 11:18 AMIm kind of curious why its even worth playing it on the wii?  just curious really. 
Think about it for a second, it's a TG16/CD emulator that's cable of emulating every TG16/CD game (at least I believe it can) and it's on your TV. Plus your games can be loaded from an external hard drive, SMB and of course an SD card up to 36gigs. You can also use any control scheme the Wii has to offer, which means classic controller support which is arguably the best controller ever for TG16/CD games. (Also just the wii mote works great!)

geise

Yeah, plus it has Super Grafx emulation as well.  I used Mednafen quite a bit this weekend.  I played Coryoon for 2 hours straight!

Arkhan Asylum

I guess since I have all the hardware, I don't see the point personally.

and I can hook my laptop up to my TV and use that... RGB mode!

NecroPhile

Quote from: Burnt Lasagna on 11/07/2011, 12:04 PM... classic controller support which is arguably the best controller ever for TG16/CD games.
No turbob switches makes it arguably a piece of poo compared to original hardware.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

jlued686

But don't the top two buttons operate as Turbo buttons? I believe they do.

EDIT: Yeah, according to this:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/tg16/588909-bonks-adventure/answers?qid=271689

I thought I remembered turbo spinning with Bonk.

NecroPhile

Quote from: guest on 11/07/2011, 01:52 PMBut don't the top two buttons operate as Turbo buttons? I believe they do.
But can you toggle on the fly between various levels of Turbob, or is it like Magic Engine where it's on/off and you can set the rate somewhere in the configuration stuff?

geise

I still don't understand RGB for low res classic games.  I like the way the scanlines filter the pixels on a SDTV.  Mednafen feels more like real hardware when used through the Wii and on a SDTV.  Laptops tend to mess with the resolution when doing TV-Out, so it's outputting differently than real hardware would.  It's way closer on the Wii.  Not sure if Mednafen is outputting the actual resolution of the turbo/pc-e games, but it seems very close.  If I was gonna run RGB I might as well just emulate on a PC.

jlued686

Quote from: NecroPhile on 11/07/2011, 01:58 PM
Quote from: guest on 11/07/2011, 01:52 PMBut don't the top two buttons operate as Turbo buttons? I believe they do.
But can you toggle on the fly between various levels of Turbob, or is it like Magic Engine where it's on/off and you can set the rate somewhere in the configuration stuff?
The A and B buttons operate as "I II: Turbo Off". The X and Y buttons operate as "I II: Turbo On." There's no middle turbo option, which is okay by me because I never use that one.

OldRover

QuoteI guess since I have all the hardware, I don't see the point personally.
This is called "I don't have to do it so I don't get why anyone else does" :) hehe

Burnt Lasagna

QuoteBut can you toggle on the fly between various levels of Turbob,
I know you can assign turbo buttons, don't know if you can toggle between various levels of Turbo. Not that big a deal in my opinion but if it can't the creator might add support for that in later releases (it's only V0.0 the initial release)

Quote from: geise on 11/07/2011, 02:02 PMNot sure if Mednafen is outputting the actual resolution of the turbo/pc-e games
It's not, but Raz0red has added support for the original resolution (240p) in the latest revision, you can compile the latest source or wait for the next release.

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: The Old Rover on 11/07/2011, 02:56 PM
Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 11/07/2011, 01:02 PMI guess since I have all the hardware, I don't see the point personally.
This is called "I don't have to do it so I don't get why anyone else does" :) hehe
pretty much everyone should have a duo.  Even people who don't play video games.

But in the emulator realm, I just laptop+ootake+TV, and take it from there.

OldRover

Maybe we should just start giving out free Duos... actually, that would be awesome.

SignOfZeta

Quote from: geise on 11/07/2011, 02:02 PMI still don't understand RGB for low res classic games.  I like the way the scanlines filter the pixels on a SDTV.  Mednafen feels more like real hardware when used through the Wii and on a SDTV.  Laptops tend to mess with the resolution when doing TV-Out, so it's outputting differently than real hardware would.  It's way closer on the Wii.  Not sure if Mednafen is outputting the actual resolution of the turbo/pc-e games, but it seems very close.  If I was gonna run RGB I might as well just emulate on a PC.
RGB and scan lines are not mutually exclusive.
IMG

Arkhan Asylum

Id rather use a PS2 controller plugged into a PC, than have to deal with that crappy classic controller.

That things like holding a frigging fish.  Its all slippery.  Theres nowhere to grip it.  Its all smooth.

You have the urge to throw it in a lake.

Etc.

Burnt Lasagna

QuoteThat things like holding a frigging fish.  Its all slippery.  Theres nowhere to grip it.  Its all smooth.
Just stop marinating your hands in butter or use the classic controller PRO, it just like the ps2's controller.

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: Burnt Lasagna on 11/08/2011, 08:59 AM
Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 11/08/2011, 08:47 AMThat things like holding a frigging fish.  Its all slippery.  Theres nowhere to grip it.  Its all smooth.
Just stop marinating your hands in butter or use the classic controller PRO, it just like the ps2's controller.
its not butter.  Its sweat, from playing games for hours at a time.

im not buying any controllers for the Wii with Pro in the title, because that's an oxymoron.

I own everything on the Virtual Console anyways. 

geise

You own Coryoon and Magical Chase on VC?

Burnt Lasagna

Quote from: guest on 11/08/2011, 10:14 AMim not buying any controllers for the Wii with Pro in the title, because that's an oxymoron.
Okay...so its a controller that literally fixes everything you hate about the classic controller and you don't want to buy it because it has the word "pro" in it?

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: geise on 11/08/2011, 10:22 AMYou own Coryoon and Magical Chase on VC?
No I own real ones.  I did some dumb things with a credit card during my freshmanish year of college.  Granted its paid off now... ;)

Thankfully it was right before prices went realllllllllllllllllllly derp.

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: Burnt Lasagna on 11/08/2011, 11:53 AM
Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 11/08/2011, 10:14 AMim not buying any controllers for the Wii with Pro in the title, because that's an oxymoron.
Okay...so its a controller that literally fixes everything you hate about the classic controller and you don't want to buy it because it has the word "pro" in it?
and no, its more because it's a waste of money and still not very comfortable.  It is like holding a fish with tumors, as opposed to a fish.  Nintendo stopped being good with controllers after the SNES.

Burnt Lasagna

The reason I like the classic controller is because it feels just like the SNES controller, but whatever you don't have to use it if you don't want to.

geise

I personally love the classic controller.  I never understood why they needed to make the pro.  Everyone is like "oh, it's great cause it's like the psx controller."  I never was big on the psx controller.  When I first bought the classic controller it just seemed perfect.  It's a great "all in one" controller for the VC and Wii game stuff.  Using the classic controller with Mednafen is awesome!  Sometimes I even use the regular Wiimote with VC Turbo games.  Even that feels fine.  Almost like a NES pad.  Like Ark I'd mostly just use the real deal, but Mednafen is an amazing "alternative"  It is nice to see the Turbo getting some love on the Wii homebrew front.  It has been needed, that's for sure.

jlued686

To each their own, I suppose, but I still feel that Nintendo are the best at designing ergonomic controllers. I've never tried the "Pro", but I love the Classic Controller. Also, the Wii Remote held on its side is a nice old-school controller.

The placement of the analog sticks on the PlayStation controllers is awkward to me (Xbox figured that out), and the R2 and L2 buttons are completely asinine. The designers at Sony must have never seen a trigger before.

OldRover

I always use a Playstation-style controller when I'm not on my Duo or Saturn. It's the most comfortable controller for me. Microsoft's controllers are too big and shit's always out of place, and I have never used a Nintendo controller I was really happy with... no, not even the SNES pad. Some third-party controllers work well, but they usually break too easy.

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: Burnt Lasagna on 11/08/2011, 12:04 PMThe reason I like the classic controller is because it feels just like the SNES controller, but whatever you don't have to use it if you don't want to.
It feels nothing like the SNES controller to me.  It feels like a goony knockoff SNES controller.

SignOfZeta

Quote from: guest on 11/08/2011, 01:03 PM
Quote from: Burnt Lasagna on 11/08/2011, 12:04 PMThe reason I like the classic controller is because it feels just like the SNES controller, but whatever you don't have to use it if you don't want to.
It feels nothing like the SNES controller to me.  It feels like a goony knockoff SNES controller.
For VC I mainly use the GB Player Controller. Its virtually identical to a SNES pad except for the A button being huge.
IMG

jlued686

Oh, that thing! Is that the Hori controller? I have that and it's pretty awesome.

Burnt Lasagna

The Hori controller is stupidly expensive online, I would never pay that much for a controller (around $150!).  Aside from the price it definitely looks like I nice controller.

jlued686

Holy shit, really? Glad I bought it when it first came out!

SignOfZeta

I bought mine on sale for $15 or something like that.
IMG

CrackTiger

Quote from: Burnt Lasagna on 11/07/2011, 12:04 PM
Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 11/07/2011, 11:18 AMIm kind of curious why its even worth playing it on the wii?  just curious really. 
Think about it for a second, it's a TG16/CD emulator that's cable of emulating every TG16/CD game (at least I believe it can) and it's on your TV. Plus your games can be loaded from an external hard drive, SMB and of course an SD card up to 36gigs. You can also use any control scheme the Wii has to offer, which means classic controller support which is arguably the best controller ever for TG16/CD games. (Also just the wii mote works great!)   
Sounds like my phone.  :wink:

I do think that this is very cool though. :)
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: Burnt Lasagnawhich means classic controller support which is arguably the best controller ever for TG16/CD games.
You sir, are high as a kite.

http://www.multimods.com/NECcont.html

Ave. 3 pad is the greatest controller *ever*

For any system.

Burnt Lasagna

Quote from: guest on 12/06/2011, 05:43 PMSounds like my phone.  :wink:
Uh, no. It's nothing like your phone.

Quote from: guestAve. 3 pad is the greatest controller *ever*

For any system.
Yeah, I would love to play any game that has come out in the past decade on that piece of balsa wood :dance: 

All trolling aside, I never liked that particular button layout (where all three/six buttons are in a straight line). That's one of the reasons why I was never a big fan of the genesis controller. 

Arkhan Asylum

I think maybe you have never used an Ave 3 then, if you are calling it a piece of balsa wood.

Try playing Forgotten Worlds with the buttons in a different formation.

You won't find d-pads nicer than the Ave. pads, typically.

and, I hope you aren't saying *I* am trolling.

I'm not the one calling Ave. 3 a piece of balsa wood.

and, why can't it be like BT's phone?  You know there are phones that can hook up to TVs, play games, and all of that?

Burnt Lasagna

Quote from: guest on 12/07/2011, 10:16 AMI think maybe you have never used an Ave 3 then, if you are calling it a piece of balsa wood.
Okay yeah, I have never used the Ave 3 and probably never will. I don't own an original TG16 (yeah, shoot me)
Quote from: guest on 12/07/2011, 10:16 AMand, I hope you aren't saying *I* am trolling.
No, I was saying *I* was trolling.

CrackTiger

Quote from: Burnt LasagnaUh, no. It's nothing like your phone.
The PCE emulator for my phone, which is likely ported from Mednafen or Ootake, has seemingly perfect emulation, supports roms and CD games, supports Wii remotes, and my phone has 16GB internal memory and takes micro sd cards up to 32 GB and hooks up to TVs via analog connections or (unlike the Wii) hdmi.

Granted my phone is completely portable and has touch screen controls and other features that a Wii doesn't, but it sounds like the emulator does everything the WiiMednafen does. Which doesn't take anything away from any Wii emulators.

But it is pretty cool to be able to whip out my phone at a friend's house and play Turbo/PCE games with his Wii remotes, without having to setup the Wii.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

SignOfZeta

A touch screen phone that plays PCE games can never be more than a party trick. It's a fucking TOUCH SCREEN. I'd say Wii Mednafen has a serious leg up on your phone since you can actually play games on it for real. Your phone might as well be running video of games.

The Aveneue 3 is so not the best pad ever. It's really good though, and almost identical to the OEM pad so I don't understand anyone complaining about it.
IMG

NecroPhile

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 12/07/2011, 11:27 AMA touch screen phone that plays PCE games can never be more than a party trick. It's a fucking TOUCH SCREEN. I'd say Wii Mednafen has a serious leg up on your phone since you can actually play games on it for real. Your phone might as well be running video of games.
I think you missed the part where Black Tiger said it supports the use of Wii controllers.

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: NecroPhile on 12/07/2011, 11:39 AM
Quote from: SignOfZeta on 12/07/2011, 11:27 AMA touch screen phone that plays PCE games can never be more than a party trick. It's a fucking TOUCH SCREEN. I'd say Wii Mednafen has a serious leg up on your phone since you can actually play games on it for real. Your phone might as well be running video of games.
I think you missed the part where Black Tiger said it supports the use of Wii controllers.
BLUE TOOF!

Burnt Lasagna

Quote from: guestbut it sounds like the emulator does everything the WiiMednafen does. Which doesn't take anything away from any Wii emulators.
Can your phone out put onto the TV in 240p?
Quote from: guestTVs via analog connections or (unlike the Wii) hdmi.
Why would you need HDMI for PCE games?

CrackTiger

Quote from: NecroPhile on 12/07/2011, 11:39 AM
I think he also missed the TV display part. :P

I didn't expect more than a touch screen control portable emulator to play PCE RPGs on the go. I was very surprised by the Wii remote support and that was the first time I thought that the TV out feature would be of any real use. :)

My android phone has already been replaced by a newer version, but mine still runs Playstation games seemingly full speed. Although I won't make use of it, it's basically an all in one console that fits in your pocket, other than the Wii remote.

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: Burnt Lasagna on 12/07/2011, 11:46 AMWhy would you need HDMI for PCE games?
I think he is just pointing out that a frigging phone has better display capabilities than the Wii, overall.

Burnt Lasagna

Quote from: guestI think he is just pointing out that a frigging phone has better display capabilities than the Wii, overall.
So what. HDMI is still a complete over kill for PCE and would probably destroy the image.