10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

What PC-FX game are you currently playing?

Started by Arkhan Asylum, 11/01/2011, 02:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PunkCryborg

Just got my PCFX working, playing some Pia Carrot!!!

Aggie Tsubi

Nice, enjoy! :D

After finishing up with Pia Carrot, I put away my PC-FX for a little while, since I don't like to stick with any one single system for too long. But after playing some stuff on other systems, I'm back to the PC-FX. :) I've picked up a few more games recently, so I now own over 40 PC-FX games. Anyway, I tried out First Kiss Story, Tengai Makyo, and Boundary Gate.

First Kiss Story doesn't seem quite as nice as Pia Carrot, but it still looks like a game I'd have fun with. I'm really looking forward to the fan patch, assuming that project is still on. Also, is that the voice actress of Shiho in Pia Carrot that I hear as the mom in First Kiss Story?

I didn't play Tengai Makyo for very long. I still find myself totally confused by how to play these FMV fighting games. Sooner or later, I'll have to go over the moves lists and figure them out. I know a lot of PC-FX players rave about the FMV in Tengai Makyo, but, honestly, I'm still more impressed by Battle Heat. Granted, part of that probably comes from the fact that Battle Heat has that cheesy, high-energy vocal intro that I love, while Tengai Makyo's instrumental intro music is a bit too low-key for the visuals, I think. Plus I like the art style of Battle Heat a bit more. In the end, they're both really impressive games, though.

But of these three new additions to my collection, Boundary Gate impressed me most of all. This game seems REALLY good. Such an awesome style to it, and I love how streamlined the interface is. Even with all the kanji menu options, I had it all figured out really quick. I'm not in the mood to start a dungeon crawler this very moment, but I definitely have to make this game a priority as far as PC-FX games I'd like to play through relatively soon go.

What I did decide to play right away is Chip-chan Kick. I've had it for quite a while, but I'm only now taking a serious go at it. Man, the bosses get pretty tough. I'm playing on the default settings, and I'm already getting my butt kicked on Stage 2's boss. I know the pattern, but it's tricky to execute everything perfectly.

KiddoCabbusses

Quote from: Aggie Tsubi on 07/19/2013, 03:27 PMI didn't play Tengai Makyo for very long. I still find myself totally confused by how to play these FMV fighting games. Sooner or later, I'll have to go over the moves lists and figure them out. I know a lot of PC-FX players rave about the FMV in Tengai Makyo, but, honestly, I'm still more impressed by Battle Heat. Granted, part of that probably comes from the fact that Battle Heat has that cheesy, high-energy vocal intro that I love, while Tengai Makyo's instrumental intro music is a bit too low-key for the visuals, I think. Plus I like the art style of Battle Heat a bit more. In the end, they're both really impressive games, though.
I wrote up a guide on how to play the Tengai Makyo game back on Rising Stuff. Unfortunately said guide disappeared along with it. But I still remember very well how to play. One important thing to warn you: Don't approach it like Battle Heat! Battle Heat attempts to simulate sprite-based fighter mechanics, but Tengai Makyo feels a good bit more like other console "FMV Fighters", it's controls are more simplified, and the mechanics are based less on quick actions/reactions and more on strategic timing on performing your most powerful attacks.

Your most powerful attacks are the magic attacks that use the blue charge (Default button mapping is 1, I believe? Right+I, Down+I and Left+I are the ones you'll most likely use for heavy damage. Hold until meter is full and release, more powerful attacks take more charge time), and generally what you'd want to do is try to read what your opponent's move is and respond with a more powerful attack before the animation for it finishes. Also, when you knock down an opponent, taunt - it's actually useful in this game because it restores the balls-meter (.... I still don't have a better name for that) which you'll want stored up to dodge enemy attacks while your character is unable to use the charge moves (exhausted face).

As for the visuals... I think to me, Battle Heat's visuals somehow look "cleaner" and have less compression artifacts than Tengai Makyo's. At times Battle Heat looks more like what the theoretical result of a Wolfteam/Game Arts anime engine would be if they suddenly had the budget to make it as fluid as possible. Although this illusion sometimes breaks when certain animations happen and the color palette changes abruptly for a few frames. In comparison Tengai Makyo looks much more like a string of FMVs combined together.

esteban

Quote from: Aggie Tsubi on 07/19/2013, 03:27 PM...

But of these three new additions to my collection, Boundary Gate impressed me most of all. This game seems REALLY good. Such an awesome style to it, and I love how streamlined the interface is. Even with all the kanji menu options, I had it all figured out really quick. I'm not in the mood to start a dungeon crawler this very moment, but I definitely have to make this game a priority as far as PC-FX games I'd like to play through relatively soon go.

What I did decide to play right away is Chip-chan Kick. I've had it for quite a while, but I'm only now taking a serious go at it. Man, the bosses get pretty tough. I'm playing on the default settings, and I'm already getting my butt kicked on Stage 2's boss. I know the pattern, but it's tricky to execute everything perfectly.
For years and years, I've heard good things about Boundary Gate from people I trust.

This would be one of the games I'd buy a PC-FX for...

But then I realize I have too many PCE games to play through!  :pcgs:
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Aggie Tsubi

Well, if you want to forgo the PC-FX for now, you could just get Boundary Gate for PlayStation, although I've heard the PC-FX version is slightly better (but I don't really know why exactly).

Thanks for all the info on Tengai Makyo, Kiddo. :) It's a shame your Rising Stuff write-up was lost along with the site.

I already have Chip-chan Kick! licked. No big surprise there, considering it's a short arcade-style game. Once I got past stage 2's boss, only the boss of stage 4 was much of a roadblock. I was able to beat the bosses of stages 5 and 6 mostly by just relying on fast reflexes, rather than having to learn their patterns in detail. It seems like the developer was inspired by Dracula from the Castlevania series for the final boss, what with how he teleports around the room and flings bats and fireballs out of his cape.

For those of you who have played Chip-chan Kick! more than me, is there anything to be gained from beating the game on Hard mode as opposed to the default settings? Like something extra in the ending or an unlockable? I'll probably replay the game some just for fun before I put it away anyway.

KiddoCabbusses

Quote from: Aggie Tsubi on 07/21/2013, 06:06 PMI already have Chip-chan Kick! licked. No big surprise there, considering it's a short arcade-style game. Once I got past stage 2's boss, only the boss of stage 4 was much of a roadblock. I was able to beat the bosses of stages 5 and 6 mostly by just relying on fast reflexes, rather than having to learn their patterns in detail. It seems like the developer was inspired by Dracula from the Castlevania series for the final boss, what with how he teleports around the room and flings bats and fireballs out of his cape.

For those of you who have played Chip-chan Kick! more than me, is there anything to be gained from beating the game on Hard mode as opposed to the default settings? Like something extra in the ending or an unlockable? I'll probably replay the game some just for fun before I put it away anyway.
Could you give me some gameplay hints/strategies and/or record a playthrough? I didn't manage to get past stage 2 yet and I've just been trying to play to get the ending. Retro-arcade style games seem to whup me no matter how much I love them.

SamIAm

There's a full replay up on nico nico if you search.

Aggie Tsubi

These videos aren't mine, but they show the bosses getting beaten:
Those should help with the trickiest parts since I don't think the normal stages are as tough as the bosses. Plus there aren't any set patterns to the normal stages. Just keep an eye out for enemies that fire projectiles from above or directly across, make sure you're never sitting somewhere where an enemy can drop down on you or hop up to where you are, and it's often good to retreat after the first hit on enemies that take multiple hits to dizzy because they have a tendency to charge (like the pink elephants) or immediately shoot something out (like the blue golems). I usually try to pick off easy kills along the bottom or work my way to the top to try to take out multiple enemies at once. If you do the latter, you may get a power up. If you hear the sound of the EXTEND balloons coming (although it's the same sound as earning an extra life from points), it's good to be right near the bottom center of the screen where you can quickly grab all of them.

Getting back to the bosses, for the stage 2 boss, I stay at the bottom center of the screen pounding away as the boss sends out the enemies in bubbles, then right after the fourth comes out, I start retreating to the left, hop up the platforms as I dodge the cannon shots, and start throwing when I get near the top to stun the enemies up there and kick them away. As soon as the boss moves back to the right corner, I drop down and repeat the cycle.

If you want my boss strategies for any of the later bosses, just let me know.

Oh, and if you want, you could play on Easy. I played through the game on Easy myself last night, and you still get the full game and same ending and all. Seems like all that really changes is the unlimited continues and some enemies move slower, take fewer hits, and/or fire out fewer projectiles. Hard is the exact opposite. Even the very first boss is CRAZY on Hard. It fires out so many feathers so fast that it's like playing a bullet hell shmup. I blew through all my continues trying to beat the first boss, so yeah... I'm not going to be beating Chip-chan Kick! on Hard any time soon, if ever, haha.

Aggie Tsubi

Is nobody else but me playing PC-FX lately? :P

I tried out a couple more recent purchases of mine. First I tried out Konpeki no Kantai (AKA Deep Blue Fleet), but as expected from the types of games I refer to as "old man games", it was total kanji city and I could barely make heads or tails out of what was going on with my nearly nonexistent knowledge of Japanese. Oh well, I wasn't that interested in the game anyway because I find the source material kind of offensive (nationalist WWII-revisionism nonsense in which Japan did no wrong and the Americans are dumb and evil). But I'm trying to get as many PC-FX games as I can and this is one of the very cheapest PC-FX games, so that's why I picked it up.

I had a fun time trying out Angelique: Tenkuu no Requiem, though. It gives me some slight Lunar vibes for some reason, maybe because of how the battles look. Too bad it doesn't have the movement system of Lunar, though. But the game feels pretty solid and polished. Maybe a TINY bit low budget (what's new for PC-FX games), what with how the graphics are slightly sparse on the details (especially for a 32-bit RPG), but it's got that sort of refreshing simplicity of a classic RPG. Of course, it stands out from other RPGs being an Angelique game, so it has that whole Angelique look and feel. Seems like it somewhat banks on the player already being familiar with the Angelique franchise and its characters, but without being able to read all the dialogue, that doesn't make a big difference to me.

esteban

turboswimbz

Quote from: esteban on 08/22/2013, 08:14 AM
Quote from: Aggie Tsubi on 08/22/2013, 12:55 AMIs nobody else but me playing PC-FX lately? :P
I wish I had an FX :(  this thread sadness me.
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)
BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere. You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

esteban

Quote from: turboswimbz on 08/22/2013, 08:43 AM
Quote from: esteban on 08/22/2013, 08:14 AM
Quote from: Aggie Tsubi on 08/22/2013, 12:55 AMIs nobody else but me playing PC-FX lately? :P
I wish I had an FX :(  this thread sadness me.
I wish I had an FX2, SRSLY.

KTHNXBYE. IMG

KiddoCabbusses

Unfortunately I've had my time being consumed by other things and no new PC-FX games as of late.

Mishran

Have mine hooked up and finally got a chance to play some of the better, dumbass accessible games by "unofficial" means. :-"

Zenki is a cool game. Zeroigar is ok, but there are MUCH better shooters on the PCE and is not worth its current price tag. Team Innocent is good, but mixing the rendered environment with character sprites seems odd. Power League FX is a good upgrade to the PCE releases. Worth a purchase at a reasonable price.

Gonna need to find me one of those FX-BMP memory units at this rate. :D

spawn844

Playing:
Chip Chan Kick
Kishin Douji Zenki FX Vajura Fight
Tyoushin Heiki Zeroigar
and i heard First Kiss Monogatari has some fighting in it...?
IMG

choijimmy

Recently got zeroigar. Playing for few hours, not the greatest game but pretty good

KiddoCabbusses

I personally considering both Zeroigar and Zenki to be overhyped by collectors and not worth their value. Zenki is a graphical showcase, but doesn't really have any substance underneath the flash. Zeroigar doesn't even have any particularly novelty other than being a PC-FX shmup.

I'd probably say Chip-chan Kick is overpriced as well, but I didn't pay the common price for it, so...

In comparison, I feel some of the cheaper-to-obtain titles deserve more attention. Battle Heat is under-appreciated - perhaps because it's mechanics take a bit of effort to figure out - but it's basically one-of-a-kind and an interesting experimental game that makes one wonder about what direction fighting games could've theoretically taken. Team Innocent also needs to be highlighted more for resembling Resident Evil in gameplay style way more than "Sweet Home" does.

I wonder if anyone else here feels that a certain PC-FX game is underrated?

Mishran

Gotta agree about Zeroigar. It's the only FX shmup. Not even that good of one. The PCE, as I have stated already, has far better ones that go for much cheaper prices.

As for underrated games go, I'd have to say Power League FX. I'm a fan of the 16bit era baseball games and this follows the same play style as them with some extra polish thrown in. I'm in love. :D

Just gotta locate a copy that won't empty my already shrunken wallet. :(

Aggie Tsubi

I'd say practically the whole library is underrated. Too many gamers think there's absolutely nothing worthwhile on the PC-FX (the sorts who have probably never even played a single PC-FX game; they're the ones who say the PC-FX has nothing but hentai games too), and then you got the ones who think there's nothing worthwhile beyond Zenki, Zeroigar, and Chip-chan Kick. I can't blame Western gamers for latching onto the English-friendly games that are in familiar genres, but there are other very English-friendly PC-FX games and even with some of the games that do have a fair amount of Japanese text, some are very easy to figure out with just a little bit of patience.

I own well over half of the PC-FX library, and I'd say the quality to crap ratio on the system is very good. Very few PC-FX games have struck me as poor games. Granted, I've yet to play a PC-FX game that I'd say ranks among the very best games I've ever played either, but I don't expect every game to be the best game ever. The PC-FX has provided me with many fun, interesting experiences, like with Farland Story FX, Last Imperial Prince, and Welcome to Pia Carrot, and I wish all those games and many more would get a little more respect and love from the Western retro gaming populace.

Ji-L87

Not wanting to clog up the "devaluation-thread" too much :mrgreen:

Recently I've getting into Team Innocent. After getting used to the controls (and the way the game works in general) it's probably the most fun I've had so far with my limited library (still haven't tried Graduation 2).

Just cleared the 1st mission and am a bit stuck in mission 2...
Looking for the square key so I can do something with the computer in the missile control room but haven't managed to find it.
I've been in all 3 containers, picked up and watched a couple of plot-related video-disc things and generally been round pretty much everywhere....I think. There's one locked area in container 3 (locked from the inside) I haven't been able to enter so right now I just wander 'round seeing if I've missed something. Am I supposed to do anything special in container 1?  :-s

I don't know...there's something about this game. It's clumsy and not that great looking but it's got a weird kind of charm and it can grip you good. I'd actually like to see a modern remake of this, being able to walk around in full 3D and stuff  :mrgreen:

Edit:
Not stuck anymore - just missed a really obvious place to look in.

Edit edit:
Mission 2 clear :mrgreen:

Edit: Mission 3 clear, all clear! :mrgreen: Aside from a few scenes/events I did not come by.
CHECKPOINT!
Quote from: esteban on 09/23/2012, 01:40 AMThere is a perverted Japanese businessman in every Swiss PCE fan.

Mishran

Just hooked the FX up and started messing with Battle Heat some. Follow it up with another play through of Pia Carrot since I haven't played it in a while.

JoshTurboTrollX

Quote from: Mishran on 08/28/2013, 04:47 AMAs for underrated games go, I'd have to say Power League FX. I'm a fan of the 16bit era baseball games and this follows the same play style as them with some extra polish thrown in. I'm in love. :D
Powerleague is indeed a fantastic baseball game!!  Last time I owned a PC-FX (2008) it was a pretty cheap title that usually was complete....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEC-PC-FX-SUPER-POWER-LEAGUE-FX-JAPAN-Clean-Work-fully-/171440476108?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27eaa60fcc

....maybe be patient....  :(
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion/blackmail!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Mishran

Wow Josh, that post was from over a year ago. Lol

Still don't have the damn game though. :( Power League is a great sports title, but not $40 great.

JoshTurboTrollX

Once a year I post in the PC-FX area.  You were lucky to be quoted in this year's rendition.  :)
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion/blackmail!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

esteban

Damn, I never tried Power League when I had PC-FX. DAMN.

Mishran

Quote from: JoshTurboTrollX-16 on 09/25/2014, 02:08 PMOnce a year I post in the PC-FX area.  You were lucky to be quoted in this year's rendition.  :)
You just posted twice, you broke tradition = failed this community. Your fired. [-(

:lol:

JoshTurboTrollX

Quote from: Mishran on 09/25/2014, 10:04 PM
Quote from: JoshTurboTrollX-16 on 09/25/2014, 02:08 PMOnce a year I post in the PC-FX area.  You were lucky to be quoted in this year's rendition.  :)
You just posted twice, you broke tradition = failed this community. Your fired. [-(

:lol:
*You're....

wait!...

SHIT!

Filler

Someone I know (online) started playing Miraculum and now I'm playing it too. :) It's a pretty cool little RPG. I skimmed a review that describes its greatest sin as being very conventional, but that aside it seems to be pretty fun to play so far.

I found this walk-through (http://www2u.biglobe.ne.jp/~comefx99/mc.htm) that is set up in a really effective linear flow-chart style. What I like the most about the game is the way that it feels like a traditional 16-bit RPG in all respects aside from the obvious flare empowered by the PC-FX.

The FMV cut scenes really make it feel like a PC-FX game, plus the addition of voice to some of the in-game cut scenes, and what I think is CD music. It's very "early 32-bit" feeling, but in a good way. My only complaint is that none of it really grabs me, aside from the character designs in the FMV sequences which are quite nice.

It is growing on me the more I play, even if it's just the predictability of it all. If anything it makes it fairly easy to play, and the combat has been good thus far. It is some of the grainier FMV I've seen on the system however. I'm about 5 hours of play time in, and about 1/6 of the way through the walk-through, so I guesstimate about 30 hrs to complete the story.

esteban

Quote from: filler on 10/09/2014, 10:56 PMSomeone I know (online) started playing Miraculum and now I'm playing it too. :) It's a pretty cool little RPG. I skimmed a review that describes its greatest sin as being very conventional, but that aside it seems to be pretty fun to play so far.

I found this walk-through (http://www2u.biglobe.ne.jp/~comefx99/mc.htm) that is set up in a really effective linear flow-chart style. What I like the most about the game is the way that it feels like a traditional 16-bit RPG in all respects aside from the obvious flare empowered by the PC-FX.

The FMV cut scenes really make it feel like a PC-FX game, plus the addition of voice to some of the in-game cut scenes, and what I think is CD music. It's very "early 32-bit" feeling, but in a good way. My only complaint is that none of it really grabs me, aside from the character designs in the FMV sequences which are quite nice.

It is growing on me the more I play, even if it's just the predictability of it all. If anything it makes it fairly easy to play, and the combat has been good thus far. It is some of the grainier FMV I've seen on the system however. I'm about 5 hours of play time in, and about 1/6 of the way through the walk-through, so I guesstimate about 30 hrs to complete the story.
I stupidly traded away PC-FX before trying all the games I was curious about. Miraculum was one of those games.

You might like this:

https://archives.tg-16.com/music_database.htm?col=jp&val=mir

Anyway, as you progress further in Miraculum, I'd love to hear your thoughts on the game.

Filler

Thanks for the link! I'm curious about the Ojousama ad too, but I've transcribed the text for the Miraculum ad below.

セル画総数5000枚
史上空前の
アニメRPG!!

個性豊かなキャラクターたちがフ
ルスクリーン画面に舞う、PCーFXな
らではアニメRPGが始動した。天
使召喚や天候システム、アクション
性を高めた戦闘など斬新なアイディ
アも満載。さあ、幻想と魔導科学が
支配する冒険の世界へ!

3月発売予定
価格未定

It basically says:

An anime RPG with an historically unprecedented 5000 cells of animation!

Unique characters dance across the screen in full-frame, an anime RPG unique to the PC-FX has started. It's also fully loaded with novel ideas such as angel summoning, a weather system, and a battle system with elevated action elements (I'm a little foggy on this part. The battle is strictly turn based, but it seems the weather and other elements may actually affect battle). Come on, to a world of adventure where illusion and magic reign supreme!

Scheduled for release in March
Price TBD

Rolfee says, "Play an anime game with me".

I will play an anime game with you.

I guess this game is in the series of, or a spiritual successor to Startling Odyssey. I've never really heard of those. Anyway, I'll definitely keep you posted about my thoughts.

esteban

Quote from: filler on 10/11/2014, 01:32 PMThanks for the link! I'm curious about the Ojousama ad too, but I've transcribed the text for the Miraculum ad below.

セル画総数5000枚
史上空前の
アニメRPG!!

個性豊かなキャラクターたちがフ
ルスクリーン画面に舞う、PCーFXな
らではアニメRPGが始動した。天
使召喚や天候システム、アクション
性を高めた戦闘など斬新なアイディ
アも満載。さあ、幻想と魔導科学が
支配する冒険の世界へ!

3月発売予定
価格未定

It basically says:

An anime RPG with an historically unprecedented 5000 cells of animation!

Unique characters dance across the screen in full-frame, an anime RPG unique to the PC-FX has started. It's also fully loaded with novel ideas such as angel summoning, a weather system, and a battle system with elevated action elements (I'm a little foggy on this part. The battle is strictly turn based, but it seems the weather and other elements may actually affect battle). Come on, to a world of adventure where illusion and magic reign supreme!

Scheduled for release in March
Price TBD

Rolfee says, "Play an anime game with me".

I will play an anime game with you.

I guess this game is in the series of, or a spiritual successor to Startling Odyssey. I've never really heard of those. Anyway, I'll definitely keep you posted about my thoughts.
Thank you so much!  :pcgs:

I am going to use all of the info you provided to update the page. If there is any other content that inspires you, please feel free to summarize it for me!

You have no idea how helpful it is to see reliable, sensible translations...I know ad copy is pretty generic, but when I run it through OCR I get crazy, hilarious things and I'm left shrugging my shoulders.

Thanks again, and do keep us posted on any PC-FX game you play  IMG