OMG! ZIRIA! ZIRIA!! ZIRIA!!! IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED!! 34 YEARS LATER!! The epic/legendary Tengai Makyou/Far East of Eden: Ziria JRPG has finally been localized! Supper the Subtitler struck again! Simply unstoppable, NOTHING can prevent him from TOTAL PCECD localization domination!!!! WHACHA GONNA DO BROTHER?!?!
Main Menu

Castlevania Dracula X: Rondo of Blood [PC Engine CD] Patch RELEASE!!!

Started by Burnt Lasagna, 11/09/2011, 06:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bernie

Just use the included TurboRip program.

spenoza

Quote from: dairugger on 11/30/2011, 02:33 AMi just stumbled upon this. this is so freaking awesome! way better than playing it on my psp with those damn borders.. lol
Did you really laugh out loud after typing that? Because I otherwise can't figure out why it would be there...

dairugger

Quote from: guest on 11/30/2011, 10:10 PM
Quote from: dairugger on 11/30/2011, 02:33 AMi just stumbled upon this. this is so freaking awesome! way better than playing it on my psp with those damn borders.. lol
Did you really laugh out loud after typing that? Because I otherwise can't figure out why it would be there...
sure, why not? i laugh out loud at the oddest, most inappropriate times! lol  :-)

munchiaz

Can the real copy be harmed in anyway if this is done incorrectly?

dairugger

Quote from: munchiaz on 11/30/2011, 10:51 PMCan the real copy be harmed in anyway if this is done incorrectly?
nope, its just reading the disc, which is what happens when you play the game.

esteban

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 11/09/2011, 07:14 PMWhile I personally have no need for such a thing, this is a really cool project and it will make a lot of people happy. Great job!
I concur with Zeta 100%: I think this is a very kool project, even though I won't use it myself.

:)
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Burnt Lasagna

*update*
Okay, I have made a good deal of progress since the last time I updated.

First off I think I have settled on a font that I will use for the rest of the game. The font I was using on those test screenshots was just too big and would not have fitted in some of the later title cards. The new font is "Batang"...which is kind of what I was using before only not Bold or italicized and a bit smaller. It looks very nice and this font has the benefit of being able to shrink very small and not become unreadable. Here is an example on stage 2.

dl.dropbox.com/u/47184537/DraculaX%20English/STAGE2%20Richter.bmp

Sadly there are few  title cards that are just a bit too long even for this font so I have to use a more condensed version of Batang for these title's (or at least a font that looks very similar) called PMingLiu, which is maybe smaller then I would have liked.  What do you guys think, is this nice looking/readable ?

dl.dropbox.com/u/47184537/DraculaX%20English/STAGE2%27%20Maria.png

Aside from font related business there isn't really much to say aside from everything's going smooth, at least for the level title cards. Haven't really looked into the miscellanies signs yet nor the dialogue for the boat rower. 
What Button Do You Press To Jump!?!

Keith Courage

It looks just fine with the slightly smaller font. Awesome work.

NecroPhile

Looks good to me.  The second font is a little muddier but still legible.

P.S. - Strength is misspelled.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Burnt Lasagna

Quote from: guest on 12/01/2011, 12:31 PMP.S. - Strength is misspelled.
Crap, just noticed that. It will be fixed.
EDIT: Fixed

dairugger

cubanraul

I'm reposting this here from the romhacking.net thread about this patch:
"Have you considered adding a VWF to the game's text engine? I haven't looked at this game's code in probably 5 years, but as best I can remember it wouldn't be that difficult to implement."

There is another font in the game that we have a understanding of which I wish I could use but that is beyond my ability.  Does anyone here on pcenfginefx have any clue?  I would really like to use that font instead of the large SJIS one in the intro especially.  I can automate encoding into the second font but can't figure out how to switch between the two fonts in the text engine.  In the stage select screen we actually got everything to fit and it is the intro I'm mainly concerned with.  It wasn't such an issue back when the translation was abandoned but now that we can actually finish it I'd really like to use the alternate font.

Example image of what I'm rambling on about: /examplequ.jpg

OldMan

Just thinking out loud, but...
It looks like the values you get for the sjis character codes are addresses in VRAM for the character graphics.
(You can check this by looking at VRAM in a debugger, ala mednafen)

IF that is so, you just have to add the base address of the new font to the DRACX character codes you have when you print them (ie, modify the print routine to do it).
It's an important clue that the sjis codes are twice as long as the 'ascii' codes. Hope it helps....

Burnt Lasagna

roflmao

Burnt Lasagna

*Update*
I'm coming close finishing all the level names!

I have about three more to go! That may sound like it would take a matter of minutes to complete but it won't. For some odd reason there isn't just one graphic for each level name per character, in the games memory I literally found the same graphic for stage1 for Richter six times and six more times for Maria. I was able to get the newly inserted graphic to appear after changing the first three I found but figured it was just going to swap back to Japanese at some random time if I didn't change the rest.  So I may have to just make two new graphics for each level (for Richter and Maria) but I also have to find roughly about twelve different pointers each level, so it's gonna take bit longer. Hopefully I will have the level names done soon, and then I will move onto the signs and the boat rower!   

Here are some new English screens! :D
/DraculaX%20English/STAGE1%20Richter.bmp
/DraculaX%20English/STAGE4%20Maria.bmp

Mishran

incrediblehark

It's really exciting to see this almost finished, keep up the good work!

Bernie

Awesome work!  What ya gonna tackle next?  :)

Keith Courage

This is pretty badass. Can't wait to burn the finished project on a lightscribe disc so I can have a nice looking label on it as well :)

Bernie

Quote from: Keith Courage on 12/10/2011, 04:58 AMThis is pretty badass. Can't wait to burn the finished project on a lightscribe disc so I can have a nice looking label on it as well :)
Hey...I never thought of that.  I may do that as well!

Burnt Lasagna

Quote from: bernielindell on 12/09/2011, 12:32 PMWhat ya gonna tackle next?  :)
After the levels I'll try to do the signs which, in theory, shouldn't take very long at all. Then I'll finish the patch with the boat rower.
Unless cubanraul finds a way to work with the alternate font for the opening, at which case we would work on that also.

Bernie

I meant what game...  :) 

Quote from: Burnt Lasagna on 12/10/2011, 11:28 AM
After the levels I'll try to do the signs which, in theory, shouldn't take very long at all. Then I'll finish the patch with the boat rower.
Unless cubanraul finds a way to work with the alternate font for the opening, at which case we would work on that also.

dairugger

Quote from: Burnt Lasagna on 12/10/2011, 11:28 AM
i know it sounds weird but ive always loved the way the title screen looked untranslated. when it was changed for castlevania chronicles it looked hideous!

Burnt Lasagna

Quote from: bernielindell on 12/10/2011, 03:30 PMI meant what game...  :) 
Oh, that I'm not really sure on.

I have been considering organizing a YsIV - Dawn of Ys fandub for awhile now, but have never gotten around to doing it.
About a year ago I got all all the extraction and insertion pointers for the adpcm audio and organized majority of them for when they apear in the game.... just never did the actual dubbing part. #-o

My Brother (the guy who voiced death) keeps telling me "We gotta F*'n do this fandub!". Hopefully I will get around to doing it, after Rondo of Blood! :D
Quote from: dairugger on 12/10/2011, 04:24 PMi know it sounds weird but ive always loved the way the title screen looked untranslated. when it was changed for castlevania chronicles it looked hideous!
I'm keeping the untranslated title screen.

ParanoiaDragon

The only problem I can recall with Ys 4 is that there's atleast one song that isn't on the Ys 4 Perfect Collections.  It's the very last song that's used for the final cinema where the "lady" is telling the children about Adol's adventures.  The begining portion of it inludes voice acting, so, you'd need to find an alternate way to do that scene.  Now that I think about it, there might be a "version" of that song with no voices on the Perfect Collection, but it's different.

Ok, just check it, it's there, but different.  My suggestion would be to use the Perfect Collection one, it might be the same length as the original.  When the time comes, I might be able to play around with the original & the Perfect Collection versions to get the right length for the song.  There might be a few others you'll need taken from the Perfection Collections, I have all 3(though, I only have a real cd of the 1st disc, the other 2 are cd'rs) so I can help with this, especially in regards to preparing the cinema tracks.  I also still have my all my takes for Dr. Flair, & I believe all the lines for Lilia my wife did, & all the lines my friend Jessica did for Bami.  I was also gonna try for the Narrator, but, by the time I started working on that, the original project fell apart.  But hit me up when you need those tracks, & I'll try to take some time & go over all the cinema tracks & see if there's any altering needed for them to fit in the original scenes, etc.
IMG

Burnt Lasagna

Quote from: ParanoiaDragon on 12/10/2011, 07:17 PMThe only problem I can recall with Ys 4 is that there's atleast one song that isn't on the Ys 4 Perfect Collections.
That song is called "A New Beginning".

Back when I was getting all this stuff organized last year I had already brought this into consideration. There were two versions of the song I was thinking about using; the altered one in the Ys 4 Perfect Collection and the one from the Ys piano collection.

Links to the songs on youtube.
(Piano)
(Perfect)
Quote from: ParanoiaDragon on 12/10/2011, 07:17 PMI also still have my all my takes for Dr. Flair, & I believe all the lines for Lilia my wife did, & all the lines my friend Jessica did for Bami.  I was also gonna try for the Narrator, but, by the time I started working on that, the original project fell apart.  But hit me up when you need those tracks, & I'll try to take some time & go over all the cinema tracks & see if there's any altering needed for them to fit in the original scenes, etc.
I would definitely like to hear your tracks! Did you finish all the dubbing for Dr. Flair, Lilia and Bami? Do you know how far down the road the last dubbing project was, when I looked they had never figured out how to extract/insert the adpcm clips, or was that not the case?

ParanoiaDragon

That's not the song I mean, the one I mean is called Fantasy Horizon.

Perfect Collection
Orignal Game Version
A New Begining is split into 2 sections IIRC on the game disc, I should be able to split it myself if you need me to.  I'm almost certain I totally finished Dr. Flair, & I'm pretty sure Lilia & Bami are done.  Whether you'll like them or not is another issue ofcoarse, the original sound guy liked them all.  Man, I can't even think of his name now, I met him on the Ancient Land of Ys boards.  I don't recall having any contact at the time with whoever was coding it(did Nightwolve do it?), so I don't recall how far along they got on the extracting & inserting was.  I do remember the sound guy was concerned by the uneven quality of alot of the different voices that people submitted, & he was considering doing some of them in the studio he worked at, so he could have a better control both over the quality of the recordings, as well as directing them.

Oh, & as for the lines we did.  For Dr. Flair, I would repeat various lines & let the sound guy take what he likes.  Sounds like I did a similar thing with both Lilia & Bami.  Looks like they're all done as far as I can tell.  I also have the file for the Narration of scene 16. I was "attempting" to sound like Alan Oppenheimer, the narrator from the first 2 games. Just let me know where to send it all.
IMG

Burnt Lasagna

Quote from: ParanoiaDragon on 12/10/2011, 10:09 PMThat's not the song I mean, the one I mean is called Fantasy Horizon.
Oh, your right! Maybe I should replay YsIV inorder to clear up my memory on the game. :-k

Quote from: ParanoiaDragon on 12/10/2011, 10:09 PMI'm almost certain I totally finished Dr. Flair, & I'm pretty sure Lilia & Bami are done.  Whether you'll like them or not is another issue ofcoarse, the original sound guy liked them all.  Man, I can't even think of his name now [Justus Johnston], I met him on the Ancient Land of Ys boards.  I don't recall having any contact at the time with whoever was coding it(did Nightwolve do it?), so I don't recall how far along they got on the extracting & inserting was.
The voices don't have to sound super professional, this would be a fandub after all, I'll take what I can get :lol:. Even if I don't end up using them they would make for good test inserts. 
I know there where two other YsIV dub projects (the first one got farther than the other).

Quote from: ParanoiaDragon on 12/10/2011, 10:09 PMOh, & as for the lines we did.  For Dr. Flair, I would repeat various lines & let the sound guy take what he likes.  Sounds like I did a similar thing with both Lilia & Bami.  Looks like they're all done as far as I can tell.  I also have the file for the Narration of scene 16. I was "attempting" to sound like Alan Oppenheimer, the narrator from the first 2 games. Just let me know where to send it all.
I would certainly like to hear these! You can just send me a PM; you can use dropbox to send me a private download link.

Arjak

Quote from: Burnt Lasagna on 12/10/2011, 04:31 PMI have been considering organizing a YsIV - Dawn of Ys fandub for awhile now...
And here we go again...

Seriously, if you do attempt to finally get this done, let me know; I tried out for and got the part of Duren (the thief) the last time an Ys IV fandub was attempted, and I would love to try the part again!
He who dings the Gunhed must PAAAAY!!! -Ninja Spirit

dairugger

Quote from: Burnt Lasagna on 12/10/2011, 04:31 PM
Quote from: bernielindell on 12/10/2011, 03:30 PMI meant what game...  :)
Oh, that I'm not really sure on.

I have been considering organizing a YsIV - Dawn of Ys fandub for awhile now, but have never gotten around to doing it.
About a year ago I got all all the extraction and insertion pointers for the adpcm audio and organized majority of them for when they apear in the game.... just never did the actual dubbing part. #-o

My Brother (the guy who voiced death) keeps telling me "We gotta F*'n do this fandub!". Hopefully I will get around to doing it, after Rondo of Blood! :D
Quote from: dairugger on 12/10/2011, 04:24 PMi know it sounds weird but ive always loved the way the title screen looked untranslated. when it was changed for castlevania chronicles it looked hideous!
I'm keeping the untranslated title screen.
thats so awesome!, that logo is so ingrained in my mind, i remember looking through vid game mags and longing for this game.

i tried playing it again on my psp with castlevania chronicles and i just cant get past the borders..

and another congrats are in order, ive seen word of your  work on various places on the net.

Burnt Lasagna

*quick update!*

All level title cards are now complete! I'm praying the new patch will be out soon!
ROCKIN!:dance:

RondoWTF.jpg

MotherGunner

Does anyone have a color lightscribe machine who is willing to make me a disc?  (When it's all said and done).
-MG

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM (If you want peace, Prepare for war)
SI VIS BELLUM, PARA MATRIMONIUM (If you want war, Prepare for marriage)

Keith Courage

Lightscribe only prints in black(more of a dark gray actually. Meaning black over whatever color is on the background. So if you buy a yellow disc it would be black over it or a blue disc black over it again. http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=lightscribe&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&biw=1280&bih=835&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=-lnuTuHQMYeqgwf1172aCQ

bartre

Quote from: Burnt Lasagna on 12/18/2011, 11:49 AM*quick update!*

All level title cards are now complete! I'm praying the new patch will be out soon!
ROCKIN!:dance:
IMG
heh, if this ever gets a "print" that pic should be the cover.

CrackTiger

The stage titles look perfect. Probably better than TTi would have done if they had the chance. :)

Two things I'd like to suggest/request:

If you could port over the the translated title from the PSP version, and make it available as a separate download for those who would appreciate it. If you can't pull and port the sprites straight out if the PSP version, I would be happy to reproduce it in PCE graphics myself.

Could you please replace the CD warning audio track if it hasn't been already? I know that there are several people around here who could provide voice acting for both Richter and Maria.

Even as it is now, this is an amazing contribution to the PC Engine community. =D>
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Burnt Lasagna

Quote from: guest on 12/19/2011, 10:58 AMIf you could port over the the translated title from the PSP version, and make it available as a separate download for those who would appreciate it. If you can't pull and port the sprites straight out if the PSP version, I would be happy to reproduce it in PCE graphics myself.
The problem with this is that I can't find the titles screen in the games memory. I was able to find it in a save state but it was scrambled into a million pieces, which would make it incredibly hard to edit.
Quote from: guest on 12/19/2011, 10:58 AMCould you please replace the CD warning audio track if it hasn't been already? I know that there are several people around here who could provide voice acting for both Richter and Maria.
I suppose this could be done, but it would be odd to have two different actors doing the part in the error message and then two different actors doing them in the actual game. Though I suppose it would be equally as odd to leave them in Japanese. :-k
Also, believe it or not, I don't have the original track01 (the error message track). The way I got my copy of the game was off the Wii's virtual Console; I then backed up a WAD of the VC channel onto my SD card using a homebrew application and extracted the individual tracks out of it on my PC. The VC gets rid of the first and last tracks to save space so I had to replace them with blank WAV/ISO tracks. 

Keith Courage

I think everything that you have done is amazing. How often am I going to listen to the CD error track and go, ugh why is this not in english? In my opinion this sounds done to me. Thank you for all your work.

ParanoiaDragon

Quote from: Burnt Lasagna on 12/19/2011, 11:59 AM
Quote from: guest on 12/19/2011, 10:58 AMIf you could port over the the translated title from the PSP version, and make it available as a separate download for those who would appreciate it. If you can't pull and port the sprites straight out if the PSP version, I would be happy to reproduce it in PCE graphics myself.
The problem with this is that I can't find the titles screen in the games memory. I was able to find it in a save state but it was scrambled into a million pieces, which would make it incredibly hard to edit.
Quote from: guest on 12/19/2011, 10:58 AMCould you please replace the CD warning audio track if it hasn't been already? I know that there are several people around here who could provide voice acting for both Richter and Maria.
I suppose this could be done, but it would be odd to have two different actors doing the part in the error message and then two different actors doing them in the actual game. Though I suppose it would be equally as odd to leave them in Japanese. :-k
Also, believe it or not, I don't have the original track01 (the error message track). The way I got my copy of the game was off the Wii's virtual Console; I then backed up a WAD of the VC channel onto my SD card using a homebrew application and extracted the individual tracks out of it on my PC. The VC gets rid of the first and last tracks to save space so I had to replace them with blank WAV/ISO tracks.   
It can be hard to edit?  So.......you're saying there's a chance!!  YEAAAHHH!! :D
IMG

Burnt Lasagna

Quote from: ParanoiaDragon on 12/19/2011, 09:15 PMIt can be hard to edit?  So.......you're saying there's a chance!!  YEAAAHHH!! :D
As I said, I was using a save state, not the game itself. So I still don't know how to edit it in the game's memory, but the chance of it happening is not completely out of the question.

I'm also not that big of fan of the PSP's title screen, it looks kinda of cheap to me. What do you guys think ?

(PSP)
IMG

(PCE-CD)
IMG

Keith Courage

I agree, it does look kind of crappy

dairugger

Quote from: Burnt Lasagna on 12/19/2011, 09:35 PM
Quote from: ParanoiaDragon on 12/19/2011, 09:15 PMIt can be hard to edit?  So.......you're saying there's a chance!!  YEAAAHHH!! :D
As I said, I was using a save state, not the game itself. So I still don't know how to edit it in the game's memory, but the chance of it happening is not completely out of the question.

I'm also not that big of fan of the PSP's title screen, it looks kinda of cheap to me. What do you guys think ?

(PSP)
IMG

(PCE-CD)
IMG
It looks awful. I much prefer the original title screen.

Djangoo2

I think the title screen should be in English, but just not the PSP version. Can't you find someone to design you a new version? I'd personally go with Dracula X for the red and Rondo of Blood beneath.

MotherGunner

Man, this is looking so good.  I wish we could at a minimum get copies of these pressed.  (Not too worried about the artwork). 

This would ease my mind about not playing a CD-R...  =/
-MG

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM (If you want peace, Prepare for war)
SI VIS BELLUM, PARA MATRIMONIUM (If you want war, Prepare for marriage)

dairugger

Quote from: Djangoo2 on 12/20/2011, 01:20 AMI think the title screen should be in English, but just not the PSP version. Can't you find someone to design you a new version? I'd personally go with Dracula X for the red and Rondo of Blood beneath.
Dont listen to him. ;-)

CrackTiger

QuoteI'm also not that big of fan of the PSP's title screen, it looks kinda of cheap to me. What do you guys think?
(PSP)
I'm not a fan of the name "Castlevania" in general. Even when the first game came out it made the game sound like a joke. In the past, when I made English versions of the logo, I recreated the font and presented it the same as it is in the PCE version, with italic red gradient font and white text on the blue sign.

How about a faithful recreation that says:

Akumajo Dracula X
Rondo of Blood
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Burnt Lasagna

Quote from: guest on 12/20/2011, 10:00 AMHow about a faithful recreation that says:

Akumajo Dracula X
Rondo of Blood
If I were to change the title screen I would keep the Castlevania part, since that is the official name for the series in English.

Having the Akumajō Dracula X would just confuse people who are not familiar with the Japanese name. (which translates into  Devil's Castle Dracula X: Rondo of Blood)

NecroPhile

Just make sure you fix the 'start' button.  That's an automatic fail.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

spenoza

I think simply "Dracula X: Rondo of Blood" would be sufficient. No point in belaboring a literal translation.

dairugger

Quote from: guest on 12/20/2011, 07:09 PMI think simply "Dracula X: Rondo of Blood" would be sufficient. No point in belaboring a literal translation.
here here!, its almost perfect as is.