@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

Castlevania Dracula X: Rondo of Blood [PC Engine CD] Patch RELEASE!!!

Started by Burnt Lasagna, 11/09/2011, 06:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dicer

I've never bothered with Rondo patched over to English, what's the best version right now, I know there were several projects  last time I looked, if someone could kindly point me in the direction that would be great, pre-patched ready to go would be best, but whatever works.

Also, those printed CD's look awesome, might be worth looking into down the line.

Thanks in advance...

NecroPhile

The patch in the originating post is the one you want.

P.S. - don't ask for isos
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

dairugger

I was feeling a Dracula x itch and loaded it up on my psp and Im still impressed with this patch. thanks to all the people who've made games ive finally been able to play after someone went out of the way to do these projects. (Dracula X, Ys IV, Xak 1 & 2, Policenauts, and Night for his Ys work.)

btw was a instruction manual pdf ever translated and made available?

redunka

Sorry if I'm asking dumb question, but can it be possible to patch only text and leave original japanese voices?

TripleDaGOD

I registered for the boards to let somebody know that the Stage Select code (X‐ X!V"Q) doesn't work in the patch. I have no idea if that's intended but I just wanted to make somebody aware of this.

Thank You very much for making this translation patch for all to enjoy.

CrackTiger

Quote from: TripleDaGOD on 12/30/2015, 08:03 PMI registered for the boards to let somebody know that the Stage Select code (X‐ X!V"Q) doesn't work in the patch. I have no idea if that's intended but I just wanted to make somebody aware of this.

That cheat code confuses many people. Have you gotten it to work with the regular version and aren't entering " instead of ' ' ?
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

TripleDaGOD

Quote from: guest on 12/31/2015, 02:22 AM
Quote from: TripleDaGOD on 12/30/2015, 08:03 PMI registered for the boards to let somebody know that the Stage Select code (X‐X!V"Q) doesn't work in the patch. I have no idea if that's intended but I just wanted to make somebody aware of this.

That cheat code confuses many people. Have you gotten it to work with the regular version and aren't entering " instead of ' ' ?
Yes I have. This code and I are very familiar via SotN.

I've tried it on an unpatched version and it works as intended. It may have something to do with the game being translated and the cheat no longer activating.

On top of that RoB doesn't have Quotation Marks as a symbol you can use to create a save file name so you can't confuse the two Apostrophes for a Quotation Mark anyway.

TurboXray

Did you patch the ISO track yourself?

There were a couple of hackers that worked on this. I'm one of them, but I didn't specifically remove this feature. In fact, my involvement in this probably wouldn't have affected this. I'll take a quick look though.

dairugger

odd. i just tried the code and its not working for me either. I never tried it before. btw I used the latest patch.  another question tho, was a translated instruction manual ever made?

esadajr

Gaming since 1985

spenoza

Game's too fun to cheat at. Unlocking the levels isn't work.

TripleDaGOD

Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2016, 11:37 AMDid you patch the ISO track yourself?
That I did. Followed the instructions to the letter.

Quote from: guest on 01/05/2016, 09:32 PMGame's too fun to cheat at. Unlocking the levels isn't work.
And you're right. I just like to have a file to play around with.

In hindsight, I'm glad I tried it because we now know it doesn't work and the necessary steps can be taken to not only fix it but preserve the game as is plus the work that makes it enjoyable for everyone.

Johnpv

Is there an updated link to the patch and readme file?  I only ask because the ones in the original post seem to be dead.  Hope that's ok to ask about.

Bernie

Quote from: Johnpv on 02/13/2016, 09:51 AMIs there an updated link to the patch and readme file?  I only ask because the ones in the original post seem to be dead.  Hope that's ok to ask about.
If you want it already patched, shoot me a PM.  I may also have the original patch files as well.

LostFlunky

Quote from: Johnpv on 02/13/2016, 09:51 AMIs there an updated link to the patch and readme file?  I only ask because the ones in the original post seem to be dead.  Hope that's ok to ask about.
In the original post, look at burntlasagna's signature - that link works...

NightWolve

BurntLasagna deleted his projects page, http://burntprojects.wordpress.com/ and all download links to the Dracula X English translation patch were broken - this offered another PCEFX backup purpose.

pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=10588.msg193338#msg193338

I first repaired this thread's OP for broken screenshot images, and built a new ZIP file of the English patch with my new, most-compatible TurboRip (Burnt had the old BETA TurboRip for Vista inside). I also linked the Romhacking.net project page since that still works.

romhacking.net/translations/846/
pcengine-fx.com/downloads/
pcengine-fx.com/downloads/DraculaX_v1.02.zip

I renamed the ZIP file to "DraculaX_v1.02.zip" for some indication it's newer/different in that it has the new TurboRip 1.42 version which works on far more Microsoft Windows PC machines than ever before. The patch relies on ripping an ISO/WAV/CUE CD image file set for ease-of-patching - it's why TurboRip was created, so Japanese wave files could easily be replaced with English ones someday starting with Ys IV & Xak III.

Also, short of that, you can find Dracula X pre-patched in English thanks to a great guy, Alejandro, over @ FantasyAnime. No harm at this point and that site has always been a great friend to retro folks, download away. Hurry, before Nintendo ruins the ROM-downloading world!

fantasyanime.com/garden/cd_download.htm
fantasyanime.com/garden/isos/tg16cd_draculax(eng)-wav.zip

pixeljunkie

tobasoft

this version also has achievements on retroachievements if you link your account through retroarch.

ricardo1984

Hello thank you, I wonder if there is a english patch for the game VALIS 4 PCE CD?  :yuki:

NightWolve

Quote from: ricardo1984 on 09/02/2018, 08:42 PMHello thank you, I wonder if there is a english patch for the game VALIS 4 PCE CD?  :yuki:
Try searching the interwebs and good luck with that mi amigo! ;)

NightWolve

Quote from: Keith Courage on 11/25/2011, 05:21 AMI can't get turborip to finish ripping my disc. It gets to 99% and then just sits there reading forever  :-({|=
Quote from: Keith Courage on 11/28/2011, 12:43 AMThanks for suggesting Ootake. I completely forgot about using that to rip the game. It ripped the game without any errors and my track 22.iso now reads 19.5mb (20,459,520 bytes) which is barely larger than what turborip did for me. I'm gonna try burning the game and see what happens since Ootake was able to finish the ripping process.
This is a necro, but I wanted to address my understanding of this problem after years of experience with researching PC Engine/TG CD-ROMs and maintaining TurboRip now and then.

In short, his problem was fixed ~2 years ago, and this is what happens now on a Dracula X PCECD with the latest TurboRip:

IMG

* OK, so some PC Engine/TurboGrafx-16 CDs will have a EDC failure near the final sectors of the last data track as you get closer to the CD leadout area. What that means is, the 4 byte CRC32 value (EDC=Error Detection Code) which is used to check the 2048 bytes of a data sector, keeps failing to clear the sector data as 100% accurate, so the drive reports the error in failure...

* Since PCECDs are MODE1 sectors, there is an ECC (Error Correction Code) of 276 bytes to use when the EDC traps a bad sector, so it tries to use those bytes to correct the sector data, but it STILL fails, thus the drive surrenders to report the error that the sector data is not 100% recoverable, hence: "Layered-Error Correction uncorrectable error".

* How many final sectors you can read of the data track near the CD leadout area varies with CD/DVD devices across the board... For years, this is why CDRWIN would produce different sized BIN files on different computers by different people and I didn't know anyone who understood why! Now there's an answer! Even Ootake fails here, it reports the size as 20,459,520 bytes, that's as far as it got before quitting, but 10,000 sectors (@2048 bytes each) equals 20,480,000 bytes, the correct size for the final Dracula X data track...

* Is this of concern ? No, it's just the backup data track and those final sectors are just padded garbage that usually should be null (all zeroes). TurboRip will null them to maintain the correct size and preserve the TOC/Leadout LBA, etc. It does mean nobody will technically have a 100% 1:1 accurate rip of Dracula X, byte-for-byte, but it doesn't matter as explained.

* You could take data track 2 AFTER it's been patched to English, copy it as data track 22, then use my TocFixer to resize it to 20,480,000 bytes, that way, say that data track 2 is scratched some day, NEC consoles will then jump to the next data track and try correctly reading from there, possibly continuing the game with no interruption... You should just burn another CD-R really, but yeah, it's something you could do out of the paranoid odds of 1 in a million that it could be useful... Leaving it as-is, the original Japanese binary, means the game would go back to Japanese if track 2 is damaged essentially.

Well, that's about it on this issue... I still have yet to master the CD-ROM format and all its secrets over the years, TurboRip hasn't advanced to where I would hope it'd be by now, but some day when I'm an old man, perhaps then...  :bonkthis:

Keith Courage

I had this problem with a few real discs in one of my computers. I even tried a few different drives and that didn't fix it either. So I tried out another PC I have here and those problem discs went through all the way to the end no problem. I even took my drive out of the computer that originally gave the errors and put it in my other PC to test and it went through just fine again. Only had this issue with maybe 3 or 4 of my game discs when I went though my entire collection.

So I think it's some odd issue with one of my computers. Not necessarily the CD Drive I was using for the ripping.