10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

Master List of PC Engine Homebrew Games

Started by _Paul, 12/02/2011, 01:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

_Paul

Yeah, programmers, get your finger out!

Anyway, more programmers = less time between project releases. Even some people working on smaller demos or mini games would be cool to keep the output flowing and increase activity and awareness of the PCE scene.

Arkhan Asylum

What Paul said.

I might diddle out a few quick chiptunes in the coming weeks with a cute picture or something, just for something to show people and get their boners throbbing.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

_Paul

Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 04/09/2013, 03:23 PMWhat Paul said.

I might diddle out a few quick chiptunes in the coming weeks with a cute picture or something, just for something to show people and get their boners throbbing.
I'm already coming up with cool art ideas in my head...

mac

ParanoiaDragon

I think we need more coders as well, but at the same time, I'm guessing that multiple coders's on 1 project can sometimes slow things down.  I'm only guessing, but I would think that every coder has their own style & expertise, similar to how musician's & tile & sprite artists have their own styles, & don't always mesh together.  But we DO need more coder's in general, no doubt!  Maybe pull some from the C64 scene or something.
IMG

Bt Garner

Quote from: ParanoiaDragon on 04/09/2013, 07:15 PMI think we need more coders as well, but at the same time, I'm guessing that multiple coders's on 1 project can sometimes slow things down.  I'm only guessing, but I would think that every coder has their own style & expertise, similar to how musician's & tile & sprite artists have their own styles, & don't always mesh together.  But we DO need more coder's in general, no doubt!  Maybe pull some from the C64 scene or something.
From my perspective, the coding is not difficult (I know, matter of perspective).  Finding persons who can truly take advantage of the PCE GFX and Palettes, that's where the resource deficiency is.

Tatsujin

paul, would it be also possible to add the information of which did had a release on a pressed cd?

thx a lot /bazzy.gif
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

_Paul

Quote from: Tatsujin on 04/09/2013, 11:30 PMpaul, would it be also possible to add the information of which did had a release on a pressed cd?

thx a lot /bazzy.gif
Done. Let me know if I got any wrong.

Quote from: bt on 04/09/2013, 09:02 PMFrom my perspective, the coding is not difficult (I know, matter of perspective).  Finding persons who can truly take advantage of the PCE GFX and Palettes, that's where the resource deficiency is.
Really? Palette management is a bit of a pain in the ass but it's not rocket science. I'm finding the trickiest thing is managing the graphics to fit nicely in the available storage/memory (which to anyone other than a programmer is some vague gas-like formation that's impossible to pin down). The only thing is us arty types are not trusting of programmers and want to see something solid before we take the plunge. Art/music should be the last of the worries. Good game relies on good design and competent programming.

VestCunt

Topic Adjourned.

_Paul

NecroPhile

Meteor Blaster is rom only, and Meteor Blaster DX (regular and SE) are CDR; Humpball and Crash are also on the Implode disc; and Loop2 is also on the Meteor Blaster DX - SE disc.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Tatsujin

www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

PixyJunket

It looks like I missed out on the Mysterious Song CD.

Any suggestions on what's a good homebrew to start with?
Drink Craft Beer and Play PC-Engine.
Compile, Westone and Falcom.

Ninja16608

Quote from: Nulltard on 05/22/2014, 02:21 PM
Quote from: PixyJunket on 05/22/2014, 12:40 PMIt looks like I missed out on the Mysterious Song CD.

Mindrec and Aetherbyte have plenty of good stuff under $30.   Aetherbyte.com  & Mindrec.com

Quote from: guest on 04/10/2013, 02:46 PM
Quote from: bt on 04/09/2013, 09:02 PMFrom my perspective, the coding is not difficult (I know, matter of perspective).  Finding persons who can truly take advantage of the PCE GFX and Palettes, that's where the resource deficiency is.
Really? Palette management is a bit of a pain in the ass but it's not rocket science. I'm finding the trickiest thing is managing the graphics to fit nicely in the available storage/memory (which to anyone other than a programmer is some vague gas-like formation that's impossible to pin down). The only thing is us arty types are not trusting of programmers and want to see something solid before we take the plunge. Art/music should be the last of the worries. Good game relies on good design and competent programming.
Has anyone written a treatise on palette management?  I'd love to research the subject as I'm in the initial phases of designing my very own bathroom simulator game, and since I'm not using FEKA I'm not sure how I'm gonig to pull off all those shades of brown.  (seriously, though, i'd love some info to read on the topic as I have been wanting to get into making PCE graphixcs)
I want screen shots of the actors posing on the throne as proof of concept lol.

CrackTiger

Quote from: PixyJunket on 05/22/2014, 12:40 PMIt looks like I missed out on the Mysterious Song CD.

There is a site which sells all homebrew PCE games. It gets posted each time someone says that they missrd out on MS, but I don't remember the name.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

PixyJunket

Quote from: CrackTiger on 05/22/2014, 07:07 PMThere is a site which sells all homebrew PCE games. It gets posted each time someone says that they missrd out on MS, but I don't remember the name.
Oh yeah? I would love to get that link if somebody has it.

Bardoly

I believe that it's Good Deal Games.

PixyJunket

Quote from: Bardoly on 05/22/2014, 10:01 PMI believe that it's Good Deal Games.
Much thanks, I will pick up a copy soon.

Do you know if they are they still pressed CDs? My Duo-R doesn't read CDRs.

Bardoly

Quote from: PixyJunket on 05/22/2014, 10:12 PM
Quote from: Bardoly on 05/22/2014, 10:01 PMI believe that it's Good Deal Games.
Much thanks, I will pick up a copy soon.

Do you know if they are they still pressed CDs? My Duo-R doesn't read CDRs.
All Mysterious Song copies were made 'pressed'.

NecroPhile

Quote from: PixyJunket on 05/22/2014, 10:12 PMDo you know if they are they still pressed CDs? My Duo-R doesn't read CDRs.
All are pressed now.  Meteor Blaster DX was originally a CDR, but it's since been released as a pressed disc.  If you get it direct from Mindrec, it'll be pressed; if you get it elsewhere, check to make sure it's not an old version.

Elder

Hunting these down now is going to be next to impossible.  I sure would have liked to have purchased Mysterious Song as it looks awesome.  Oh well, I'll buy what I can right now!

NecroPhile

Mysterious Song and Revival Chase might be hard to find if sold out, but Insanity, Pyramid Plunder, Implode, and Meteor Blaster DX are available direct from their respective makers.

Elder

Quote from: NecroPhile on 06/09/2014, 01:26 PMMysterious Song and Revival Chase might be hard to find if sold out, but Insanity, Pyramid Plunder, Implode, and Meteor Blaster DX are available direct from their respective makers.
Believe it or not but I got them all from Good Deal Games with the exception of Mysterious Song which was sold out.  Ironically that was the one I was most looking forward to, so now I'm on the hunt.  If anyone can help me out, please let me know!

Elder

Hey all,

Do any of you know the passwords to gain access to the two Shmups on Revival Chase?  I didn't get the magazine with my game so I'm not sure if the passwords were written in the mag itself or not.

Thanks in advance for any info you guys have.

HailingTheThings

Quote from: Elder on 06/22/2014, 12:07 AMHey all,

Do any of you know the passwords to gain access to the two Shmups on Revival Chase?  I didn't get the magazine with my game so I'm not sure if the passwords were written in the mag itself or not.

I just ordered mine, don't know if it will come with the mag or not. I did make a note to include the mag with my order, so we'll see.
IMG

Elder

Quote from: HailingTheThings on 06/22/2014, 01:15 AM
Quote from: Elder on 06/22/2014, 12:07 AMHey all,

I just ordered mine, don't know if it will come with the mag or not. I did make a note to include the mag with my order, so we'll see.
Ok cool, let me know if the passwords are inside the mag.  It seems a bit odd to have two of the three included games locked out, but someone out there must have the passwords.

touko

Elder

HailingTheThings

Quote from: touko on 06/22/2014, 10:37 AMPasswords are:
shoot
osmaw
Well, damn. Guess it doesn't matter if I get a mag or not now, aside from wanting to check it out. lol
IMG

Elder

Quote from: touko on 06/22/2014, 10:37 AMPasswords are:
shoot
osmaw
Hey Touko, are you sure about OSMAW?  I tried it several times and says it's the wrong password. 

touko

Elder

Quote from: touko on 06/23/2014, 03:32 PMarf it's ozmaw ,sorry  :oops:
All good :)

I figured it out when I looked at the disc and saw the game's title :)

HailingTheThings

Quote from: Elder on 06/22/2014, 12:07 AMI didn't get the magazine with my game...
I totally may or may not have totally got the magazine with mine. Totally. :3
IMG

Elder

Quote from: HailingTheThings on 06/27/2014, 12:45 AMI totally may or may not have totally got the magazine with mine. Totally. :3
That's totally awesome, or totally sucks  :P

HailingTheThings

Quote from: Elder on 06/27/2014, 03:42 PM
Quote from: HailingTheThings on 06/27/2014, 12:45 AMI totally may or may not have totally got the magazine with mine. Totally. :3
That's totally awesome, or totally sucks  :P
Yesss!!!1!
IMG

esteban

Comrades! This is an important thread that needs to be updated and stickies.

Concur?

Of course you do.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

HailingTheThings

Quote from: esteban on 11/16/2014, 07:11 AMComrades! This is an important thread that needs to be updated and stickies.

Concur?

Of course you do.
Sticky dat shit!
IMG

VodNate

Good call, esteban!

Oh, and Hypernova Blast now falls under "released", so...

NecroPhile

Quote from: VodNate on 11/16/2014, 09:15 PMOh, and Hypernova Blast now falls under "released", so...
Atlantean as well.  There's also a few mini games hidden on Revival Chase and Hypernova Blast.

VodNate

Thanks for the updates! Obey further!

_Paul

esteban

Quote from: guest on 04/04/2015, 11:16 AMmispost.
...or was it? Have you been working on a Blodia 2 SCD game? I hope so.

_Paul

Quote from: esteban on 04/04/2015, 05:17 PM
Quote from: guest on 04/04/2015, 11:16 AMmispost.
...or was it? Have you been working on a Blodia 2 SCD game? I hope so.
Don't be ridiculous.

It's on Arcade Card.

esteban

VodNate

Sorry to break up the Timeball Party  :oops:

But, I noticed on the Master List that it lists Meteor Blaster DX as being a CD-R. It was, but then it was re-released on factory pressed disc in 2013...and it included a FIFTH selectable ship - The Golden Phoenix!

Just wanted to "tug someone's coat" on that one.

_Paul

Quote from: VodNate on 04/17/2015, 07:26 PMSorry to break up the Timeball Party  :oops:

But, I noticed on the Master List that it lists Meteor Blaster DX as being a CD-R. It was, but then it was re-released on factory pressed disc in 2013...and it included a FIFTH selectable ship - The Golden Phoenix!

Just wanted to "tug someone's coat" on that one.
Thanks. Fixed.

VodNate

touko

Eh you forgot the first SGX homebrew game, flappy bird ..

ftp://193.253.190.115/flappy_bird_SGX.pce

EDIT: Thanks paul  :wink:

brizio

In theory, development of Saber Rider and the Star Sheriffs for PCEngine should start soon... As of today I am not really optimistic but still...

rcantor77

Quote from: touko on 01/04/2016, 10:08 AMEh you forgot the first SGX homebrew game, flappy bird ..

ftp://193.253.190.115/flappy_bird_SGX.pce

EDIT: Thanks paul  :wink:
I had added it to the list on my site...
http://www.pc-engine.co.uk/?section=homebrew

Just need to dig my SGX out now I have a Turbo Everdrive...
PC-Engine.co.uk - definitive hardware listing for all PC Engine and Turbo Grafx systems.