PC-FX +XRGB + SVIDEO

Started by Arkhan Asylum, 03/05/2012, 09:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arkhan Asylum

I recently got an XRGB3, and plugged the FX in w/ S Video since it has no RGB.

It looks fine, and anyone who goes OH MY GOD YOU CAN ONLY USE IT ON A CRT DONT PUT PCFX ON ANYTHINNG ELSE is a retard.

I'll take some pics.  It's on a 55" Sony Bravia w/ SVIDEO, and it looks baller. 
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

thesteve

the FX has no issue with flat panel TV's, as it runs in 480I

SamIAm

???

No it doesn't. The majority of games are 256x240 or less, and that's 240p. If Zeroigar runs in 480i, I'll eat my hat.

thesteve

ok the internal res may be 240, but the sync is interlaced.
it plays much nicer with my cheap upscaler than my turbo or geni.

SamIAm

I can't say why it looks better, but I'm pretty sure the video output is not interlaced. It isn't in emulators, I can say that much for sure. Here's the Mednafen author answering a question about the PC-FX's maximum resolution and implying that the only resolutions ever used were not interlaced:
https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=5089.msg87466#msg87466

How do the Saturn and Playstation look on your upscaler? Those are almost always 240p as well.

thesteve

i have not tried the PS or saturn on it, as its on my desktop computer monitor.
i do know it has issues with the sync pulse from the PCE and geni.
havent tried NES yet either

Arkhan Asylum

If you go composite thru XRGB it still looks like penis though.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Opethian

I dont know why they even bother with composite IN on those XRGBs
IMG

Arkhan Asylum

tpivette

Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 08/03/2012, 12:59 PMIf you go composite thru XRGB it still looks like penis though.
Is is really that bad?

I'm going to run my PC-FX through S-video to a A/V splitter, then to a Samsung LCD TV (the TV doesnt have a S-Video input). Basically, its gonna send a S-Video signal to the splitter, but after that, it'll be an A/V signal from the splitter to the TV.

Will this "make it look like penis"? Its really the only way I can run S-Video vs straight A/V
Original owner of a TG-16 since 1989!

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
Vita - Conception 2
PS3 - Tales of Graces f
Wii U - Monster Hunter 3 Ulltimate

SamIAm

Quote from: tpivette on 08/03/2012, 07:23 PMit'll be an A/V signal from the splitter to the TV.
A/V signal doesn't really mean any specific type of video signal. Are you talking about composite (the yellow plug)?

If you convert S-video to composite and send it to your TV, it will be no better than just taking the composite straight from the console. In fact, because of the extra conversion, it will likely be worse.

If you convert S-video to component without changing it from 240p, it will not be as bad as if you converted composite to component. However, it won't be much better.

If you convert S-video to HDMI (or whatever other HD signal type), the same applies, except that you'll be converting it to 480p or whatever. The quality depends a lot on how the converter can deal with 240p, but there's also the issue of signal delay. The poorer converters add a delay of a few frames between the time that you press a button on the controller and the time you see the action on the screen.

tpivette

Looks like I'm gonna just stick with the composite cables then (red/white/yellow), as my TV doesnt have an S-Video input
Original owner of a TG-16 since 1989!

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
Vita - Conception 2
PS3 - Tales of Graces f
Wii U - Monster Hunter 3 Ulltimate

thesteve

thats probably your best bet

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: tpivette on 08/04/2012, 10:24 AMLooks like I'm gonna just stick with the composite cables then (red/white/yellow), as my TV doesnt have an S-Video input
Depends on your TV.   You may get to enjoy nice visuals.

Or you will enjoy fuzzy bullshit and input lag.

Not that this will matter for 60% of the library. 

lol

SVideo looks excellent.   Composite looks dumb.

wilykat

Any suggestion for 240i/p S-Video upscaler to component or HDMI for those TV that don't have S-Video port?  Mine has 2 composite, 3 component, 3 HDMI, and a VGA but no S-Video (only 1 year old)

I tried one from Best Buy but not only was it way overpriced, there were probably half a second lag between my action and what appeared on the screen, which is bad for games like Blazing Lazers.  I know it's not my HDMI, my brother had his PS3 hooked when he came for the weekend, and there was no noticeable lag.

Ji-L87

Quote from: wilykat on 08/08/2012, 12:57 AMAny suggestion for 240i/p S-Video upscaler to component or HDMI for those TV that don't have S-Video port?  Mine has 2 composite, 3 component, 3 HDMI, and a VGA but no S-Video (only 1 year old)

I tried one from Best Buy but not only was it way overpriced, there were probably half a second lag between my action and what appeared on the screen, which is bad for games like Blazing Lazers.  I know it's not my HDMI, my brother had his PS3 hooked when he came for the weekend, and there was no noticeable lag.
HDMI/component will not lag as much as anything else because you can feed your monitor a video signal in it's native resolution (either 720p or 1080p).
Anything below that will have to be scaled up from a lower resolution and possibly converted to progressive as well.

This, coupled with post-processing (which may or may not be defeated through "Game"-mode) is mainly what adds noticeable input lag in modern HD TV sets.

It's possible that such as simple thing as this might solve your connection problems - but maybe not your input lag problems.

Edit: Scratch that - that adapter might not work. : /
CHECKPOINT!
Quote from: esteban on 09/23/2012, 01:40 AMThere is a perverted Japanese businessman in every Swiss PCE fan.

fraggore

the FX using SVideo on my samsung tv looked good havent tryed it in my scaller.

picked this delightful little number up on ebay for £24 http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/displayProduct.jsp?sku=AV13009&CMP=e-2072-00001000
works nice on the pc engine on my monitor cant realy notice any lag.
I always wanted a thing called tuna sashemie

"All your base are belong to us"

Ji-L87

Quote from: fraggore on 09/25/2012, 03:03 PMpicked this delightful little number up on ebay for £24 http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/displayProduct.jsp?sku=AV13009&CMP=e-2072-00001000
works nice on the pc engine on my monitor cant realy notice any lag.
Looks very interesting, especially for the price you found it for :) How's the deinterlacing, or rather, how does it handle a game with "flicker effects", like flashing shadows and so on. Do they flash, or are they constantly visible?
CHECKPOINT!
Quote from: esteban on 09/23/2012, 01:40 AMThere is a perverted Japanese businessman in every Swiss PCE fan.

fraggore

well i havent got the pc-fx connected to test but i have the duo set-up just been trying a few games image fight when you start you flicking that works fine as do all the soldier games the only game i noticed lines in was gates of thunder on the shield and the search lights on the big ship on level one.

haven't noticed anything else in the other games i have used, To be honest for £20 it was a bargin wasn't expecting the world but it does a pretty good job just cant beleave what they are trying to charge for it. also running the consoles with a SLG Scart scan line generator didn't know if i liked it at first but getting used to it now.

would love to see a XRGB framister in action and see the diffrence.
I always wanted a thing called tuna sashemie

"All your base are belong to us"

TurboCro

Framemeister looks best when processing RGB signals. I think the s-vid would prolly look just ok, but the FX would have to be RGB modded to take full advantage of it.

SuperDeadite

Quote from: TurboCro on 10/24/2012, 07:18 AMFramemeister looks best when processing RGB signals. I think the s-vid would prolly look just ok, but the FX would have to be RGB modded to take full advantage of it.
Lol, the whole point of this topic was that FX's S-Video with an XRGB can look quite decent.  There is no way to RGB mod an FX, it simply can't be done, unless someone has come up with some major vodoo recently.
Stronger Than Your Average Deadite

Arkhan Asylum

Yes it still looks damn fine now, as I just played it yesterday, like a boss.

TurboCro

Quote from: SuperDeadite on 10/24/2012, 09:47 AMLol, the whole point of this topic was that FX's S-Video with an XRGB can look quite decent.  There is no way to RGB mod an FX, it simply can't be done, unless someone has come up with some major vodoo recently.
Aha, excuse my n00biness. :-# I had no idea you couldn't RGB mod an FX.

I'm using an XRGB Mini for my consoles right now, and the difference between RGB versus encoded signals is pretty staggering.

thesteve

Quote from: TurboCro on 10/25/2012, 09:08 PM
Quote from: SuperDeadite on 10/24/2012, 09:47 AMLol, the whole point of this topic was that FX's S-Video with an XRGB can look quite decent.  There is no way to RGB mod an FX, it simply can't be done, unless someone has come up with some major vodoo recently.
Aha, excuse my n00biness. :-# I had no idea you couldn't RGB mod an FX.

I'm using an XRGB Mini for my consoles right now, and the difference between RGB versus encoded signals is pretty staggering.
stop trying to get me to do more voodoo............LOL

chadti99

I connected my newly acquired PCFX via s-video to my XRGB Mini and the picture quality is damn near close to RGB, I'm very pleased.

kazekirifx

Is using an XRGB really any better than a TV with a good S-video input on it?

Ji-L87

Quote from: kazekirifx on 01/21/2013, 08:30 PMIs using an XRGB really any better than a TV with a good S-video input on it?
If CRT, no, it should work perfectly without it. If HD display, well, the signal should still have to go through the whole deinterlacing/scaling process so Input lag would still be a thing, and that's where the units like the XRGB should come into play. Even if the picture might look good just connected to the TV.

But if the TV has a good Game mode, it's really up to each and their own if they're happy with the results they're getting :)
I think, in many cases it's not the input lag that might put people off but flawed deinterlacing resulting in artefacts and other unplreasantries.
My Sony did that, albeit only happens with some special effects and the like, such as flickering effects .
CHECKPOINT!

kazekirifx

Isn't it possible that some HDTVs apply some laggy processing to an RGB signal too, not just NTSC?

Ji-L87

Quote from: kazekirifx on 01/22/2013, 08:58 PMIsn't it possible that some HDTVs apply some laggy processing to an RGB signal too, not just NTSC?
Hm...this is starting to go outside my technical comfort zone (read: feel free to correct or call me out on it) but yes. As far as I understand, just because the de-interlacing process is done, and even if the image sent to the display matches the TV's preffered resolution and doesn't need to be scaled up, it's still possible it won't go untouched.

So, yes, some kind of after processing might get applied. As you've said though, this is different between different units. As far as I've heard, even if one were to use the "game mode"-function, which is there to shut down/cut down on unnecessary image processing, they're not the same between brands or even different models within the same brand.

In short: even if you plug an RGB scart into the back of the display, the image will still need to be scaled. And even when feeding the display from an external scaler, it might still get processed by the TV, and this will differ from model & brand.
CHECKPOINT!

Tatsujin

Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 03/05/2012, 09:43 AMI'll take some pics.  It's on a 55" Sony Bravia w/ SVIDEO, and it looks baller. 
where are these some pics? :)

sure thing wanna see it.
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

Arkhan Asylum

I forgot because I am lazy and hate cameras.

Arkhan Asylum

GO CHECK PC-FX TOME OF OBEY'S FACEBOOK.

Svideo glory is finally there.

Sorry I am slow.

GohanX

I don't have a PCFX, but I hooked a modded Neo Geo up to my XRGB mini over the weekend to both the S-video and RGB inputs to see what the difference was. The difference was there, and was noticeable, but the s-video was still ballin' on my huge plasma. I don't really miss my SDTV.

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: JKM on 09/30/2013, 01:26 PMI don't have a PCFX, but I hooked a modded Neo Geo up to my XRGB mini over the weekend to both the S-video and RGB inputs to see what the difference was. The difference was there, and was noticeable, but the s-video was still ballin' on my huge plasma. I don't really miss my SDTV.
Yeah.

In the case of PC-FX though, you don't have anything better than SVideo to work with!

It looks excellent though.

turboswimbz

So need to do this. Stabdard s vid on the lcd is killing my eyes.
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)
BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere. You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

Arkhan Asylum

Yeah, you definitely need to git you one of them dooderly XRGB3s man. 

Or just use a CRT

Vecanti

Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 08/03/2012, 12:59 PMIf you go composite thru XRGB it still looks like penis though.
Is that good or bad?

Arkhan Asylum

depends who you ask.  Some people like staring at dicks all day.

Vecanti

Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 09/30/2013, 06:08 PMdepends who you ask.  Some people like staring at dicks all day.
Mine is highly sought after in certain circles.

turboswimbz

THis thread just made my day!

ANd I tried the CRT but the 13" wasn't doing it for me . . .
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)
BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere. You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

Arkhan Asylum

IMG
IMG
IMG

A few pictures for people who don't go on Facebook.

The pictures don't even do it justice.  it looks sogood.

sososososo

good.

Ji-L87

Yeah, that looks mighty fresh!

Thanks for the pic-update for us non-bookface peeps :mrgreen:

Looking forward to putting the PC-FX through some video processing...

...once it gets here.
CHECKPOINT!

Opethian

all dose scanlines
IMG
all dose hamboigas
IMG