Video/audio skipping in Mednafen

Started by Filler, 03/10/2012, 11:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Filler

I've been willing to tolerate this up until now, but I'm curious if there is a way to solve my problem with PC-FX video on Mednafen. The video skips slightly, as does the audio, giving it kind of an echo. Does anyone else have this problem? Any easy fixes like some kind of config setting or something? Not like I can't just play the game on the real hardware, but it's hard to capture footage that way. :( BTW: You can hear it a little in the opening video for Minimum Nanonic (around 3:00).

SamIAm

Is using Magic Engine FX not an option? That one runs smoothly.

Mednafen does the same thing on my PC, but in my case, I'm pretty sure that that's because my CPU is old and slow, and Mednafen maxes it out.

MEFX is way, way less CPU intensive and is pretty stable.

EDIT: By the way, if you're looking to get a clean video capture, one way to do it is simply to get a screenshot of each frame and then use a video editor to string them all together. Mednafen has a frame-advance mode, and I just bet the video runs at 12 FPS.

The sound could come from real hardware, which is much less involved than also getting the video (got a microphone jack?).

Filler

Thanks for the suggestions SamIAm. I'm glad I'm not the only one. Well not glad exactly, but it's comforting.

MEFX is certainly an option, but it glitches on the non-FMV cut scenes, while Mednafen plays those fine but the video/audio is glitchy. (Game is Megami Tengoki II BTW) Maybe I play it twice and edit the footage together? :) (kidding) What is frustrating for me is that I already have a Hauppauge HD capture device that is awesome for most things but won't capture from FX at all.

It's interesting there doesn't seem to be a frame limiting feature to Mednafen, I don't know if it would help but I wasn't able to find one to try. I did try playing with the CD-ROM speed, video driver, and vsync but those did not seem to help in any combination I could find.

Not sure if I have a good way of frame grabbing from FX hardware while capturing audio separately but I'll keep that in mind. Wow, I actually just had a creepy thought. I could probably crack out my VHS deck and try recording to that and then capturing from it. :P I might still have an older capture device kicking around too. Maybe I'll give that a try.

Mednafen

Search the Mednafen 0.9.19-WIP documentation for all instances of qtrecord

KiddoCabbusses

Quote from: filler on 03/11/2012, 10:09 AMWhat is frustrating for me is that I already have a Hauppauge HD capture device that is awesome for most things but won't capture from FX at all.
Do you have anything like the VCR or DVD Recorder you can use as a workaround? I tend to have problems interfacing old game consoles to my TV so I tend to do this rather often.