OMG! ZIRIA! ZIRIA!! ZIRIA!!! IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED!! 34 YEARS LATER!! The epic/legendary Tengai Makyou/Far East of Eden: Ziria JRPG has finally been localized! Supper the Subtitler struck again! Simply unstoppable, NOTHING can prevent him from TOTAL PCECD localization domination!!!! WHACHA GONNA DO BROTHER?!?!
Main Menu

LIVING THE DREAM!!!!

Started by soop, 03/30/2012, 08:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

soop

Seriously, how good does it feel to own a lot of amazing PC Engine games?
Sometimes, I think back to the times when the PC Engine was a rare, unknowable beast (in the UK remember), glimpsed occasionally in mainstream console gaming magazines.  Then for me, I had the excitement of owning one, and the strange new world of HuCards, Japanese writing, and full colour handheld gaming (Street Fighter II on a handheld!!!)

Now look where I'm at.  Thanks mostly to the people of this community and the tools and websites they've built, I know more than I could have ever thought about the PC Engine (though this clearly scratches the surface of what some people know), I know what games I like and what games I want, and I get to talk about them on here.

Life is good.
Quote from: esteban on 04/26/2018, 04:44 PMSHUTTLECOCK OR SHUFFLE OFF!

Samurai Ghost

Yeah, as for me, I've really dove in this last year. I had heard of the TG-16 as a kid, and played it later at a friend's place who had one, and I knew once I started getting into the floodgates would open but... it's hard to imagine that after picking up my first CoreGrafx last September I would collect nearly 200 games and nearly every iteration of the console and it attachments. I think the HuCARD is the coolest game format ever made and the PC Engine itself is the sleekest, most awesome console released to this day. But the hardware wouldn't be anything without an amazing library of games; I love flipping through the binders of games I have and choosing what to play next. There are just so many gems! I'm hooked for life!

NecroPhile

Rather than fap over my collection, I prefer to play 'em.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

soop

Quote from: Samurai Ghost on 03/30/2012, 09:06 AMI think the HuCARD is the coolest game format ever made and the PC Engine itself is the sleekest, most awesome console released to this day. But the hardware wouldn't be anything without an amazing library of games
Totally agreed.  One thing I love is that I'm exposed to more of the wacky Japanese titles that would probably be overlooked on other systems.

And obviously I play them - the fact that I have so many great games to choose from is kind of the point.  And I love the fact that, for the most part, it's much more affordable than it would have been back in the day.

*edit* Also, does anyone sometimes look at a game and then get the tune stuck in their head?  I have the tune to level 2 of Double Dragon on the Gameboy in my head right now.  Awesome tunes on that game, some of the best chiptunes IMO.
Quote from: esteban on 04/26/2018, 04:44 PMSHUTTLECOCK OR SHUFFLE OFF!

Arkhan Asylum

I usually hum the music from star soldier level 1, all the time. 

well, its more like, beatbox it, but whatever. lol
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

herr-g

The tune of the first Gomola Speed stages belongs to the stickiest i've ever heard.
I looove that unique PCE chip sound.  :-"

esteban

Quote from: herr-g on 03/30/2012, 05:04 PMThe tune of the first Gomola Speed stages belongs to the stickiest i've ever heard.
I looove that unique PCE chip sound.  :-"
Gomola Speed has only a couple of tunes, but they are nice :pcds:. I love the game, too.

Quote from: soop on 03/30/2012, 10:49 AM*edit* Also, does anyone sometimes look at a game and then get the tune stuck in their head?  I have the tune to level 2 of Double Dragon on the Gameboy in my head right now.  Awesome tunes on that game, some of the best chiptunes IMO.
Double Dragon NES remains one of my fave soundtracks of all time. Love it.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Sadler

Pretty sure I've said this before, but the TG/PCE is absolutely awesome because I constantly find new games that are flat out amazing. I had maybe 30 titles BITD and I'd say probably 80% were awesome. The reality is that there are SO many awesome games out there. Many games I used to be jealous of my friends having were actually released in Japan for the PCE, including SF2 and Double Dragon 2. I'm pretty sure if my 15 year old self saw the games I have now he'd ejaculate for a month solid. And what's MORE awesome is the fact that there's tons of PCE games that weren't released in the US for any other system that are incredible.

Imagine having the vast majority of the games you always wanted. Now imagine finding out there were 5 times that many games available and you haven't even heard of most of them! :D

RegalSin

Yes the PCE is quite nice, with it's library and admiration and dedicated fan base. What I love about the PCE is how it is probably the most cleanest of all the consoles on this planet. I do not think NEC or Hudson Soft sank it's claws in publishers, over seeing US marketing, and other things. I think the PCE was born on the popularity of videogames co-exsisting with comics, and animation at the same time. NEC and Hudson would have made more sense, investing in the PCE, instead of trying to invest in the next best thing. I still think the PCE has a great chance of comming back, however I like the freedoms it has being a
side line contender, instead of being a direct fighter.
IMGIMG

kazekirifx

Quote from: soop on 03/30/2012, 08:35 AMSometimes, I think back to the times when the PC Engine was a rare, unknowable beast
I was fortunate to never quite have that experience with PCE (at least not for very long), but I can relate in the case of other systems such as X68k and PC-98. I remember, back in the 90's, seeing the advertisement for Legend of Heroes III for PC-98 on the collector's video "Ys Special Collection ~All About Falcom~" (which someone in the Turbo community was nice enough to make a VHS copy of for me) with the PC-98's it's weird graphic quality and vaguely Genesisy sounding music and thinking "WTF is this?!" Hell, I didn't even know the title of the game since the ad only showed the Japanese logo. All I could read at the time was "III". "This Falcom game I've never heard of is the 3rd in a series?" It seemed like, literally, some 'unknowable' hardware and game, which I would never have the option of playing or owning. I didn't change that until 2004. Then I was living the dream, indeed.

So, yeah, I know how you feel. Getting to know mysterious sh*t feels so rewarding.

Digi.k

Quote from: guest on 03/30/2012, 09:21 AMRather than fap over my collection, I prefer to play 'em.
how about play and fap over them ? :o

munchiaz

i got in to the TG-16/PCE about a year ago. I missed out on it as a child, and i'm making up for lost time now. Its a real joy to play these games that i missed out on, and i really enjoy the system. The simple but clean look.  The HUcard format. Everything about it is awesome.

NecroPhile

Quote from: Digi.k on 04/04/2012, 05:58 PMhow about play and fap over them ? :o
I'm not coordinated enough to play one handed, but if I ever master the Happy Cobra....    :lol:
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Tatsujin

I HAVE NO DREAM ANYMORE.
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

esteban

Quote from: Tatsujin on 04/05/2012, 11:17 AMI HAVE NO DREAM ANYMORE.
Send me your LT and you can dream again!

You're welcome  :pcgs:
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Nando

Quote from: Tatsujin on 04/05/2012, 11:17 AMI HAVE NO DREAM ANYMORE.
Cause you got married and had a Kid. That's why you no sleep...oh wait.  ;)