10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

Best beginner game

Started by spenoza, 04/14/2012, 12:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spenoza

OK, so, if I were to pick up HuC, my only previous programming experience having been Java (intro and intermediate) and just a touch of Pascal, and make a game, what style game would likely be the easiest to manage as a beginning project? Platformer? Puzzle? Shooter? I find myself most worried about enemy routines/AI, but should I be? What are the hardest parts? What kind of advice can you give me before wading in and drowning?

touko

A pong i think ..

It's very simple, but all programming aspects are present, like background/tiles, sprites, score, AI,sound/musics etc ..
This is useless to try to make a difficult game without programming experience .

A simple game like pong will allow you to understand how to use huc functions, and how pce works,without too many headaches . :mrgreen:

A shoot don't need an advanced AI, because enemies are made of simple waves scheme .

spenoza

What about a Breakout/Arkanoid clone? Let's face it, Drop Off is NOT winning any awards for anything other than suck.

Arkhan Asylum

Start with something that doesn't involve scrolling or a lot of moving parts.

Don't try to do parallax. Keep the background color use basic (1 palette instead of many).

Breakout wouldn't be hard.  Arkanoid would be harder because of the powerups and all of that.  There is already a game called Jamanoid for PCE.  It used to come with HuGo.

The best thing to do is pick an Atari 2600 game that seems fairly simple. Try bringing it over. 

If you start going for scrolling shooters and crap, you'll just get in over your head.

This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

touko

an arcanoid clone is harder than it seems .
Mainly for tiles manipulations .

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: touko on 04/14/2012, 04:03 PMan arcanoid clone is harder than it seems .
Mainly for tiles manipulations .
yes there is alot of nonsense going on with Arkanoid.

however, if you do a straight 2600 breakout clone, you could do like 15x4 rows of sprites (60 sprites).  This is more than adequate for a breakout clone, as 15x16 pixels would nicely cover the screen and leave you room to put a border for the playfield. It's a perfect fit, really.

and then have the paddle, and a ball. That's 62 sprites.   Leaves a bit of wiggle room. Not a lot at all, but just a little :)

You could then make a neat looking 16 color background to figure out how backgrounds work, along with laying out all the sprites and manipulating their positions and palettes.

You wouldn't hit the line limit either since it's 15 sprites per row :D  

Then, you could learn all about bounding boxes, and making optimal checks.  There are a lot of opportunities with a simple breakout grid to do some shortcuts with checks and keep things optimal.

For example, if there's no possible way the ball could hit the topmost row, why even check ANY of those sprites?  

If the ball is on the left side, why check anything who's X coordinate is on the right half?

stuff like this is good to pick up on early.

I vote you do that, since you brought it up.

A simple Atari 2600 breakout clone.  No frills.  Just the basics.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

touko

Yes vcs games are very good (and also very simple),especialy for a systemCD error overlay   :-"

ccovell

Quote from: touko on 04/14/2012, 05:06 PMYes vcs games are very good (and also very simple),especialy for a systemCD error overlay   :-"
Yeah, nobody here ever notices the easter eggs we pack into our games and demos, do they?  :-(

spenoza

Thing is, once I've made something simple, I can slowly improve/evolve it. Arkanoid was pretty cool, and Breakout is pretty simple, and there are some nice evolutionary points between them.

esteban

I think you have already decided, but I always thought that Atlantis would make a great candidate for a beginner game. :pcgs:
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

spenoza

Not familiar with Atlantis. I never played it.

esteban

Quote from: guest on 04/15/2012, 02:35 AMNot familiar with Atlantis. I never played it.
ATLANTIS :pcgs:

Core game is exceedingly basic, but I believe it would offer incremental steps (as you revise, refine and polish the game by introducing new enemies,  new AI behavior, new stages, new cannon placement, etc.).
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Arkhan Asylum

Atlantis is simply Missile Command, but not shitty.

it would be a fun game to make, but would also be a bit more challenging to deal with the sprite activity that occurs.

JoshTurboTrollX

Hey spenoza,

Have you taken a look at Roves: Crash course in HuC series on Obey brew?  It's a great way to jump in and get started making some sprites move around with backgrounds.  I too have a java background, and found his directions easy to follow. 

Even if it is in the dreaded C++ language :P
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion/blackmail!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

touko

Quote from: ccovell on 04/14/2012, 10:17 PMYeah, nobody here ever notices the easter eggs we pack into our games and demos, do they?  :-(
Because we are too subtle lol .

spenoza

Oh, I intend to take the crash course, certainly  : )

Arkhan Asylum

ParanoiaDragon

Combat, seems like it'd be relatively easy.  Another one I'd love to see is Air Sea Battle, I always had a special love for that one.
IMG

Mishran

Quote from: esteban on 04/15/2012, 01:38 AMI think you have already decided, but I always thought that Atlantis would make a great candidate for a beginner game. :pcgs:
Perhaps I'm alone in this, but I think it would be cool to have a Cosmic Ark port on the PCE. I busted many Atari joysticks while playing that game as a kid. :P Wouldn't be a good programming beginner game though.

incrediblehark

Arkhan Asylum

Actually, Cosmic Ark wouldn't be that bad as a beginner game.  The surface-portions aren't that complicated really.

It'd be harder than Breakout, sure.

but, still pretty simple.  Getting the slippery acceleration is the hard part.

touko

Good advice, take care to initialise all your variables before using them .