10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

Completing every turbo game 91/144 FAILED

Started by Lilgrafx, 05/21/2012, 10:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OldRover

(1) There is a secret life form that can develop (if you are good enough!)
Not only did I develop them, I made them sentient.
/simearth-robots.png

(2) Try to develop a planet controlled by whales (seriously!)
Done.
/simearth-cetaceans.png

(3) Populate Venus and Mars.
/simearth-marscompleted.png
/simearth-venuscompleted.png

(4) Advanced civilization on Mars!
/simearth-worldwar.png

(5) At the moment the secret life-form is created, NUKE THE PLANET. :pcgs:
I did better than that...
/simearth-sunexplodes.png

And lookie, bonus...

/simearth-venusexodus.png

So yeah... Sim Earth is quite conquered. :)
Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

esteban

Quote from: OldRover on 08/19/2012, 12:17 PM/simearth-venusexodus.png

So yeah... Sim Earth is quite conquered. :)
PLANETARY EXODUS.

Now that is truly awesome :pcgs:.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

TheClash603

I played Sim Earth a lot as a kid and never did any of that stuff.  Apparently I didnt know how to play.;

OldRover

Drop an Atomic Bomb on a Nanotech city to make Robots evolve.

Use a Monolith on a well-populated (2 million or more people) Information Age or Nanotech Age non-mobile city (depending on the campaign) to perform the Planetary Exodus. The first time you do it, it even plays a cute little cutscene for you.

Allow multicellular life to completely die out (putting you back in the geologic time scale) and allow the time to reach 10 billion years to make the sun explode.

/simearth-collapse.png
/simearth-multicellular.png

Grossly overwork your population (80 hours or more should do it nicely) to cause a World War.

When you have no sentient species, place a Cetacean on land and quickly use a Monolith on it to make them sentient (it doesn't always work though). Build their cities in the water as opposed to on land... if you put one on land, it will be a mobile city. They will spread quickly and dominate the planet.
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

OldRover

As an aside... I believe that the Planetary Exodus might occur even without the use of the Monolith... you just have to let enough time pass and keep your sentient species occupied for long enough.

turboswimbz

neat idea, I am playing through boxy boy again.  This might just give me motivation to finish it. Last time (about ten years ago) took me a couple of weeks, due to tiredness of sitting there finishing puzzle after puzzle.  I'll add it when I'm done if someone doesn't beat me to the end.
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)
BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere. You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

DragonmasterDan

Due to the other thread about JJ & Jeff I fired it up again, and after spending a good part of the afternoon on it. It can be crossed off the list.
--DragonmasterDan

OldRover

Wow, someone actually sat through that pile? :lol:

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: OldRover on 08/19/2012, 11:38 PMWow, someone actually sat through that pile? :lol:
The JJ & Jeff music thread inspired me to fire it up again over the weekend. I was determined to beat it.
--DragonmasterDan

esteban

Quote from: OldRover on 08/19/2012, 04:27 PMAs an aside... I believe that the Planetary Exodus might occur even without the use of the Monolith... you just have to let enough time pass and keep your sentient species occupied for long enough.
I love all the SimEarth stuff. I remember playing it on an old Mac (monochromatic monitor) and I could never resist coldly ravaging the planet with destruction. You have a warm heart, my friend. :pcgs:

Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 08/20/2012, 06:48 AM
Quote from: OldRover on 08/19/2012, 11:38 PMWow, someone actually sat through that pile? :lol:
The JJ & Jeff music thread inspired me to fire it up again over the weekend. I was determined to beat it.
IMG IMG :pcgs:

turboswimbz

NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)
BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere. You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

OldRover

It Came From The Desert: conquered.

The Queen's room.
/itftd-01.jpg

The Queen herself.
/itftd-02.jpg

She's getting her ass kicked.
/itftd-03.jpg

The queen: defeated!
/itftd-04.jpg

Doc's congrats.
/itftd-05.jpg

Sonny and Prissy are in looooooove. :lol:
/itftd-06.jpg

Buzz's dream girl.
/itftd-07.jpg
/itftd-08.jpg

The End!
/itftd-09.jpg

Sea Of Love credit.
/itftd-10.jpg

The End Redux. :P
/itftd-11.jpg

esteban

OldRover

The Addams Family: conquered.

/add01.jpg ... /add06.jpg

You didn't credit my Sim Earth clear, btw. :P

OldRover

Since the Duo no longer plays cards, I dug out the TGPC project I've been working on on-and-off over the past couple of years... it still functions. So, hooked it up to my good screen and conquered another game...

/sini01.jpg
/sini02.jpg
/sini03.jpg
/sini04.jpg

Sinistron: conquered. :)

Took 7 continues to do it, but oh well... it's been awhile since I've played it. Got stuck for a bit after the checkpoint in 3, and then restarted a couple of times in 4. Was in the zone with full power through the first half of 5 so I made it to the checkpoint with ease but took a few continues to clear it completely. 6 went down easier than usual, only a couple of retries past the checkpoint.

DildoKKKobold

I realize its been done for a while, but I just wanted to brag that I beat Dungeon Explorer, no deaths, no passwords!
For a good time, email: kylethomson@gmail.com
Dildos provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
DoxPhile .com / chat
IMG

Lilgrafx

Quote from: OldRover on 08/25/2012, 04:19 PMYou didn't credit my Sim Earth clear, btw. :P
Fixed. I can't believe you finished Sinistron that games is impossible!

OldRover

It requires buttloads of practice and dedication to conquering this badass mofo of a shooter. And it requires even more guts to take on its Japanese counterpart, especially in the final level.

TheClash603

Rover, any Adams Family tips?  I am a bit of a junkie for these kinds of games, but could never get too far in this one.  Loved the Camp California walkthrough (though I had beaten that one before).  Don't need anything quite as elaborate, but maybe a few general tips?

Thanks!

OldRover

Only thing I can really say for that game is to simply memorize everything... the game is basically split up into two main parts: key-chasing, and surviving in the lower levels. For the first part, the key-chasing part, you simply visit specific rooms in a certain order... and memorize the patterns of all the enemies and how tough they are. Once you get into the lower levels, the task is simply to survive... take as few hits as possible, and try not to run into any traps (there are quite a few instant death traps down there). It can be extremely frustrating since you have so few lives yet such a huge hit point amount... to lose all of your hit points in one shot REALLY sucks. The game is a lot harder than it looks but put in some practice and memorize the best route to take and you'll eventually beat it. I might actually do a pictorial for this game at some point.

EDIT: Oh, and there are a couple of rooms you absolutely do NOT have to visit... you don't have to visit Wednesday's room, or the room where you chase Granny as she opens bags which release flying... things. Neither are required to get through the key-chase part, but they're kinda funny anyway... especially Wednesday's room, where she makes an NES chase after you. :P

TheClash603

Thanks Rover, will have to give it another go.  This game is as hard as platformers come IMHO.

CPTRAVE

I know that someone already passed this turbo game but I just had to post it. (Legendary Axe)
/temporary-12.jpg

glazball

Is anyone working on Tricky Kick?  I hope to have my name in lights soon and have the entire forum in awe at my tricky kickin'.  Well maybe not, but damn I've been addicted to this silly little game and I'm hoping to have my name on at least 1 of these titles!
glazball's game collection and wantlist

Bardoly

Quote from: Lilgrafx on 05/21/2012, 10:41 PMJust typed out every game, please point out any I missed.
Don't forget Mysterious Song!

hoobs88

Quote from: glazball on 09/11/2012, 03:59 PMIs anyone working on Tricky Kick?  I hope to have my name in lights soon and have the entire forum in awe at my tricky kickin'.  Well maybe not, but damn I've been addicted to this silly little game and I'm hoping to have my name on at least 1 of these titles!
That's one tough puzzle game!
1 title needed for a complete US Turbo Grafx collection: Magical Chase
Parasol Stars High Score = 119,783,770
https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=9292.0
League of Legends Summoner Name = DeviousSideburns

TheClash603

Quote from: hoobs88 on 09/11/2012, 05:59 PM
Quote from: glazball on 09/11/2012, 03:59 PMIs anyone working on Tricky Kick?  I hope to have my name in lights soon and have the entire forum in awe at my tricky kickin'.  Well maybe not, but damn I've been addicted to this silly little game and I'm hoping to have my name on at least 1 of these titles!
That's one tough puzzle game!
No one will ever do it.  But if they do...  I commend them!

roflmao

I don't think there is any possibility of me beating Tricky Kick, ever, let alone while this thread is active. :)

BTW, I recently picked up Tricky Kick, and I love it!  It just gets crazy challenging.

Lilgrafx

Quote from: guest on 09/11/2012, 07:54 PMI don't think there is any possibility of me beating Tricky Kick, ever, let alone while this thread is active. :)
that's mean :(

Lilgrafx

Quote from: Bardoly on 09/11/2012, 05:00 PM
Quote from: Lilgrafx on 05/21/2012, 10:41 PMJust typed out every game, please point out any I missed.
Don't forget Mysterious Song!
Added :)

roflmao

Quote from: Lilgrafx on 09/11/2012, 08:50 PM
Quote from: guest on 09/11/2012, 07:54 PMI don't think there is any possibility of me beating Tricky Kick, ever, let alone while this thread is active. :)
No ill will was meant. 

I just meant that there's a timeline attached to this thread (1 year from its inception) and because I don't see myself ever completing this game, there's no chance in hell I'll complete it within a year. 

I love this thread!

esteban

Quote from: guest on 09/11/2012, 08:56 PM
Quote from: Lilgrafx on 09/11/2012, 08:50 PM
No ill will was meant. 

I just meant that there's a timeline attached to this thread (1 year from its inception) and because I don't see myself ever completing this game, there's no chance in hell I'll complete it within a year. 

I love this thread!
Tricky Kick is a challenging puzzler. I have beaten it, but I was pathetic (many aborted attempts at stages) compared to my friend (who owned the game at the time). He could crush Tricky Kick, whereas I was praying to pass later stages unscathed.

It's a quirky game with a surprising amount of personality for having such GODDAMN TINY SPRITES.

glazball

Hi friends.  I'd like to get my name on the list with The Dynastic Hero.  I just got this wonderful game last week (finally!) and beat it today.  And I have to say, what an incredible game!  Terribly addictive.  Gorgeous graphics with lively colors and aside from a few painful jumping sections, the gameplay is a blast.  The controls are tight and Dyna is responsive and easy to control.  It's one of those games that just sucks you in and I just couldn't put it down until I was done.  One of my Duo faves!  I'm proud to be an owner of this game!
  I took some pics with the crappy iPad camera, but I thought it was better than nothing.  I would add them in a spoiler tag, but I can't figure out how to make spoilers for the life of me.  Here goes!

/DynasticHero9.JPG

More pics here if you want to see a few more. :)

Bardoly

@glazball
So, now that you've completed the game, now you want to pass it on to someone else who hasn't had a chance to play it.  Right?   :mrgreen:

glazball

It's a pretty easy game and very replayable so I think I'll have to hang on to it for now.  :) I wouldn't even trade for Magical Chase because it's not as fun and I don't think I'll ever be able to find another DH (like I can find MC!)

Retrogamesauce

I beat Splash Lake Brother! Mark me down down I want to be on the leader board : )

TheClash603

Quote from: Retrogamesauce on 09/28/2012, 10:29 PMI beat Splash Lake Brother! Mark me down down I want to be on the leader board : )
Did you beat it...  or did you beat it beat it?

It doesn't count unless you get all of the hidden fruit and beat all the extra stages.

BTW - One of my favorite games on the system, hope you enjoyed it!

Retrogamesauce

Quote from: TheClash603 on 09/28/2012, 11:47 PM
Quote from: Retrogamesauce on 09/28/2012, 10:29 PMI beat Splash Lake Brother! Mark me down down I want to be on the leader board : )

It doesn't count unless you get all of the hidden fruit and beat all the extra stages.

I guess I just beat it. Plus it probably doesn't count, a friend and I used emulation with save states (only to save progress). We didn't cheat but it was split up into many sessions.

TheClash603

Quote from: Retrogamesauce on 09/29/2012, 10:47 AM

I guess I just beat it. Plus it probably doesn't count, a friend and I used emulation with save states (only to save progress). We didn't cheat but it was split up into many sessions.
If you had fun playing the game, I recommend trying to go back and beat it with all the fruit.  On each stage there is a piece hidden in a random spot.  Finding the fruit adds a level of challenge to the game and is a lot of fun.

I cleared this game twice all stages, but it was before this thread started, so it doesn't count :)

jperryss

Quote from: TheClash603 on 09/29/2012, 11:05 AMIf you had fun playing the game, I recommend trying to go back and beat it with all the fruit.  On each stage there is a piece hidden in a random spot.  Finding the fruit adds a level of challenge to the game and is a lot of fun.

I cleared this game twice all stages, but it was before this thread started, so it doesn't count :)
Yep! And unlocks another set of levels that are quite a bit harder, along with another fruit challenge.

One of my top 3 turbo titles, and in my top 10 for all consoles.

esteban

Quote from: jperryss on 09/29/2012, 01:06 PM
Quote from: TheClash603 on 09/29/2012, 11:05 AMIf you had fun playing the game, I recommend trying to go back and beat it with all the fruit.  On each stage there is a piece hidden in a random spot.  Finding the fruit adds a level of challenge to the game and is a lot of fun.

Yep! And unlocks another set of levels that are quite a bit harder, along with another fruit challenge.

One of my top 3 turbo titles, and in my top 10 for all consoles.
SPLASH LAKE, one of the most under-appreciated Turbo games...

Lilgrafx

Shalom Brother! Sorry I can't count it brosauce, because of the save states.

OldRover

I'm almost done with Splash Lake myself, but I'm stuck at 5-4 Rev. at the moment. And after Rev., there's still an additional 60 levels to conquer. The game has 180 levels in total... just clearing the first 60 doesn't count. :)

TheClash603

Quote from: OldRover on 09/30/2012, 04:41 PMI'm almost done with Splash Lake myself, but I'm stuck at 5-4 Rev. at the moment. And after Rev., there's still an additional 60 levels to conquer. The game has 180 levels in total... just clearing the first 60 doesn't count. :)
It appears there is finally a game I am better than Rover at!  Hooray!

esteban

Quote from: TheClash603 on 09/30/2012, 05:32 PM
Quote from: OldRover on 09/30/2012, 04:41 PMI'm almost done with Splash Lake myself, but I'm stuck at 5-4 Rev. at the moment. And after Rev., there's still an additional 60 levels to conquer. The game has 180 levels in total... just clearing the first 60 doesn't count. :)
It appears there is finally a game I am better than Rover at!  Hooray!
Hahahahahhahahaha. :pcgs:

OldRover

Quote from: TheClash603 on 09/30/2012, 05:32 PMIt appears there is finally a game I am better than Rover at!  Hooray!
I'm sure there are plenty such games. :)

CPTRAVE

Just finished Andre Panza Kick Boxing . :D
/temporary-13.jpg

Retrogamesauce

Quote from: Lilgrafx on 09/30/2012, 01:05 PM
Did you beat it...  or did you beat it beat it?

Nooo! all I ever wanted was to be on the leader board. Jk. It is a really fun game. My friend and I didn't realize we could hop on the water until halfway through the game. That made things a lot more interesting.

NecroPhile

Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

esteban

Quote from: guest on 10/05/2012, 11:54 AMHop on the water?
Hopping and skipping is an integral part of Ostrich Theater and the WKA (World Kickboxing Association?)...

Lilgrafx

Quote from: Retrogamesauce on 10/05/2012, 11:38 AM
Quote from: Lilgrafx on 09/30/2012, 01:05 PM
Did you beat it...  or did you beat it beat it?

Nooo! all I ever wanted was to be on the leader board. Jk. It is a really fun game. My friend and I didn't realize we could hop on the water until halfway through the game. That made things a lot more interesting.
Haha I know It's been your life goal to make it on your little brothers thread.