OMG! ZIRIA! ZIRIA!! ZIRIA!!! IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED!! 34 YEARS LATER!! The epic/legendary Tengai Makyou/Far East of Eden: Ziria JRPG has finally been localized! Supper the Subtitler struck again! Simply unstoppable, NOTHING can prevent him from TOTAL PCECD localization domination!!!! WHACHA GONNA DO BROTHER?!?!
Main Menu

Atlantean: Deep Blue's Sister!

Started by Arkhan Asylum, 05/22/2012, 08:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

_Paul

Quote from: NecroPhile on 07/31/2012, 12:10 PMLookin' sexy, except for the laggy paralax sprite overlaps.
I get that on every PCE game when I video grab from an emulator, it's really odd. It doesn't look as bad as that in the real thing.

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: NecroPhile on 07/31/2012, 12:10 PMLookin' sexy, except for the laggy paralax sprite overlaps.
That problem magically goes away during the late-stage optimization.  It's doing that right now because of HuC's awesome array accessing skills.

I save this for last since once you do it, it becomes way harder to debug/deal with.   

I think I am going to envelope the abduction-ray sound a bit so it isn't as spastic.

I like the mutate noise, and the enemy shot came out good.  It's got a nice bullet sound.  It's very Konami sounding, to me.

and yes, there will be a little soft chimey sound when the Atlanteans touch down.   I love that they explode into oblivion when they die.   Everything in the 80s explodes when it dies.  There is no other way.

It's fleshing out quite nicely.   There are a few hangups with the shots, but it's nothing I can't tweak til I like it. :)
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

spenoza

I think it would be funny if the Atlanteans went splat when falling from too high a height. Then again, I'm easily amused by things that go splat.

_Paul

Quote from: guest on 07/31/2012, 03:23 PMI think it would be funny if the Atlanteans went splat when falling from too high a height. Then again, I'm easily amused by things that go splat.
They wouldn't go splat. They are underwater.

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: guest on 07/31/2012, 03:38 PM
Quote from: guest on 07/31/2012, 03:23 PMI think it would be funny if the Atlanteans went splat when falling from too high a height. Then again, I'm easily amused by things that go splat.
That's why they exprode!

This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

esteban

Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 07/31/2012, 03:57 PM
Quote from: guest on 07/31/2012, 03:38 PM
That's why they exprode!
Give EAB* a chance. Seriously.

*Exploding Atlantean Babies
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Samurai Ghost

Man, love that music!!! I want the 20-minute megamix so I can listen to it on the freeway.

As far as the babies go, would it be possible to put Atlantean bases along the seafloor where you could drop the babies off for extra points a la Choplifter? You already have some structures in the background which you could use. I think that would add an interesting gameplay element and would give the player some satisfying resolution rather than having the babies just sitting on the floor like so many bags of blood.

esteban

Quote from: Samurai Ghost on 07/31/2012, 04:31 PMMan, love that music!!! I want the 20-minute megamix so I can listen to it on the freeway.

As far as the babies go, would it be possible to put Atlantean bases along the seafloor where you could drop the babies off for extra points a la Choplifter? You already have some structures in the background which you could use. I think that would add an interesting gameplay element and would give the player some satisfying resolution rather than having the babies just sitting on the floor like so many bags of explosive blood.
Fixed that for you.

henrycsc

I think they should yell "Bonus" when you save them....

Seriously, it's looking great!

It would be cool if you could mimic talking underwater.  like a simple "Thanks" or "Arigato" :)

I looked for a youtube vid of the effect I was thinking, this was one of the cooler sounding clips, but maybe you could pull off something clearer.  :)
Maybe they could make some bubbles when they talk too (assuming they have lungs and not gills)  - anatomy lesson for Atlanteans needed.

Wanted:
Bootleg Hucards (Hong Kong, China)
Third Party Hardware (US, Japan, China, Europe, Korea)
Canadian Boxes and Manuals (French text)
Ton's of Trades available - just PM me.

Arkhan Asylum

I'd love to do the whole sampled-talking-underwater thing, but it'd be a royal pain in the dick. 

So, here a few things that are finalized here:

1) No 6-button support.   Sorry to the 7 crab-handed people that want to play Atlantean all goony.   It's not playable with 6 buttons anyways.  Trying to reverse is disorienting and sucks.

Ok, that's it actually.

I don't think I will be posting a playable beta of the game.  Just footage for everyone to touch themselves to.

touko

Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 08/06/2012, 10:07 AMI'd love to do the whole sampled-talking-underwater thing, but it'd be a royal pain in the dick. 
Why ???

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: touko on 08/08/2012, 07:41 AM
Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 08/06/2012, 10:07 AMI'd love to do the whole sampled-talking-underwater thing, but it'd be a royal pain in the dick. 
Why ???
Using the PSG's direct sampling mode interrupts the MML player stuff, so you have to do magic and trickery to get it to work.

touko

Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 08/08/2012, 10:18 AMUsing the PSG's direct sampling mode interrupts the MML player stuff, so you have to do magic and trickery to get it to work.
For sf2 capcom don't use magic  :wink:
i think this should be a problem if you are using all the voices for psg musics ..
I am using a 2 channels sample player for chuck no-rice, and it's close to be smooth (my HSYNC interrupts are delayed) in 1,76 mhz CPU mode ..

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: touko on 08/08/2012, 02:12 PM
Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 08/08/2012, 10:18 AMUsing the PSG's direct sampling mode interrupts the MML player stuff, so you have to do magic and trickery to get it to work.
For sf2 capcom don't use magic  :wink:
i think this should be a problem if you are using all the voices for psg musics ..
I am using a 2 channels sample player for chuck no-rice, and it's close to be smooth (my HSYNC interrupts are delayed) in 1,76 mhz CPU mode ..
SF2 and your game aren't using Squirrel and the built in PSG BIOS stuff...

touko

Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 08/08/2012, 03:03 PMSF2 and your game aren't using Squirrel and the built in PSG BIOS stuff...
No, you 're right,but i will try to use both for my next project .
I thing it's possible, without too many cpu usage .

Arkhan Asylum

The problem isn't the CPU usage.   It's the synchronization of things.

The PSG Player expects things to come in like an assembly line.   If you go changing the channel to samples, start shooting stuff out, and then flip back, everything will fall out of sync with itself.

henrycsc

Wanted:

Arkhan Asylum

Nando

Arkhan Asylum

daaaayuuuuum

The promo item I was going to give out wasn't as exciting, but is still cool.

:-3

IMG

lol

touko

Quote from: henrycsc on 08/09/2012, 05:38 PMArk, you should get some of these made up for promo....  I want one in each color!
i think this should be impossible, because arkhan spent all the promo money, for his 60 years old babes at ccag 2012 (with 147 dollars and 20 cents, what did you expect ??) lol ..

Nando

roflmao

henrycsc

So, each copy will come with a piece of tail?   :wink:
Wanted:

Arkhan Asylum

seieienbu

The multiple scrolling layers look absolutely great.  I was doing to ask about collision but your note down at the bottom already addressed my thought on that.  Lookin' good so far.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

Bernie

Damn that looks nice.  The colors are just popping, and I love how the backgrounds give it the illusion of depth.  Now ya need to work on a SCD platformer sir.  :)

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: Bernie on 03/16/2013, 09:01 PMDamn that looks nice.  The colors are just popping, and I love how the backgrounds give it the illusion of depth.  Now ya need to work on a SCD platformer sir.  :)
No more platformers for me after Inferno.  lol.

Gotta work on the shooty rainbow fish destruction.

esteban

Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 03/16/2013, 05:43 PM
Git down on it.
LOVE IT. :pcgs: LOVE.

STATUS: The percussive music is nice, but DEAR LORD IT WOULD BE SWEET if you extended the song so it wasn't as short. Maybe ease up on the percussive elements and let the melody linger a bit (a LOT!) longer (it is really nice!), THEN GO BACK FULL FORCE.

roflmao

Quote from: esteban on 03/16/2013, 09:40 PM
Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 03/16/2013, 05:43 PM
Git down on it.
LOVE IT. :pcgs: LOVE.

STATUS: The percussive music is nice, but DEAR LORD IT WOULD BE SWEET if you extended the song so it wasn't as short. Maybe ease up on the percussive elements and let the melody linger a bit (a LOT!) longer (it is really nice!), THEN GO BACK FULL FORCE.
AWESOME!!!  Looking and sounding great, though I agree with esteban's suggestion on adding some variety and building it up.  It's INTENSE 24/7!!! :D

ParanoiaDragon

Looking great!  I am, however, concerned about the timing of the music.  I'm sure you'll probably iron that out eventually.  I'm partially concerned, cuz I can detect a slight indescrepancy(sp?) in the timing of when the music loops in Pyramid Plunder.  It's almost flawless, but I swear I hear it kinda jolt for lack of a better word, which isn't so bad for PP, but, I for the pulse pounding music & gameplay of Atlantean, I personally want it to loop flawlessly if possible.
IMG

Arkhan Asylum

That's because the rest of the channels have to wait for the echo to catch up when it loops.  :-/ 

Kinda unavoidable.    If there's no echo, there's not jolt.   But, the echo is awesome.  I like it, so I chose that over the other option!

ParanoiaDragon

Hmmm, I do like the echo, no doubt about that!
IMG

Arkhan Asylum

UPDATE:

The game has full collision detection and player deaths.  It's been going through some bug-fix and testing phases.

It's almost radar time.  I hope it's in for CCAG.   I don't know how bad that shit will be.  It might be easy.

Who are we kidding.

It's going to blow.

I might post a 3rd update video, but it won't be much different than what you've been seeing.

Only now you can die! BWHAHAhahaheeueehherhhrhrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

esteban

IMG Holding back tears, Hany somersaults through the air and utters, "Wheeeee..."

Nando

Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 05/09/2013, 01:06 PMUPDATE:

The game has full collision detection and player deaths.  It's been going through some bug-fix and testing phases.

It's almost radar time.  I hope it's in for CCAG.   I don't know how bad that shit will be.  It might be easy.

Who are we kidding.

It's going to blow.

I might post a 3rd update video, but it won't be much different than what you've been seeing.

Only now you can die! BWHAHAhahaheeueehherhhrhrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
So what is release "schedule" for the final game?

Arkhan Asylum

Nando

Opethian

IMG

Psycho Punch

Looking damn great, I honestly can't believe you're using that many sprites to simulate parallax, I thought something on that level would produce some hardcore (read: ugly) sprite clipping, as in R-Type.

Meanwhile I still can't figure out how to display a tile on screen, I have a long way to go hahaha.
This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs! I had to delete THOUSANDS of errors cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: Psycho Punch on 05/12/2013, 10:11 PMLooking damn great, I honestly can't believe you're using that many sprites to simulate parallax, I thought something on that level would produce some hardcore (read: ugly) sprite clipping, as in R-Type.

Meanwhile I still can't figure out how to display a tile on screen, I have a long way to go hahaha.
There is some clipping, but luckily, the way I set it up, the thing that ends up clipping is the big dopey coral towers, as opposed to stuff you actually care about! :)

It's something I'll try to fix, but I might just live with it.   It's not too bad.   Usually only happens on the bottom row because of the rooftops.

Marll

Looking good. I really need to scrounge up some extra funds and buy other homebrews that are available, and specifically Insanity and Pyramid Plunder
Rabid Turbo fan since 1989!
Happy F@ck eBay member since 2010

Arkhan Asylum

Update:

It'll be radar time by the end of the week. 

and then, another round of testing.

I'm expecting the CCAG demo to be pretty much the full wave progression demo (3 waves, ad nauseum).

Do you guys really want a highscore save feature?   There's currently a high score.  But, it dies if you turn the game off.

Remember, it's a HuCard.  So, you'll only get the save if you have a Duo, basically.

NecroPhile

Fuck yeah, we want high scores!
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Arkhan Asylum

There are highscores, just, do you gimps want it saved to BRAM?

NecroPhile

Unless it's really difficult to implement or will make a huge file like Sim Earth, HELL YES! 
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Arkhan Asylum

I'll make it as huge as possible, and also make it delete everything thats already there.

the file name will say "LOLSCOAR"

VestCunt

Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 05/20/2013, 12:18 PMThere are highscores, just, do you gimps want it saved to BRAM?
More importantly, will I be able to export the BRAM to cassette via RCA?
Topic Adjourned.

Arkhan Asylum

yeah.  and then you can load it on a Commodore 64 and play a secret hidden game called Atlantits.

Nando

did you add any pixel boobs? do they have Bouncy?