10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

Have you guys seen this? Price Charting

Started by FiftyQuid, 05/31/2012, 01:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FiftyQuid

I stumbled upon this today.  It looks like they take data from eBay, Amazon, and Half.com (eBay affiliate) and then chart the pricing of video games over the period of 4 years.  I'm not sure how they calculate the "used" and "new" condition prices.

It's interesting to see what Zonk sold for the past 4 years, but this kind of thing misrepresents the actual 'fair' cost of games.

http://videogames.pricecharting.com/console/turbografx-16?sort-by=name
I'm busy playing pinball, but I still drop by to visit.

NecroPhile

That's been linked here before, and it looks like it's still a trainwreck.  There's not nearly enough data collected for it to be useful (many 'rare' games have only the most recent eBay sale shown) and it doesn't appropriately separate PCE and TG-16 titles.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

kiketonto

I had seen lists like this before and I have always found ridiculous and useless.
On market price of current games, as you want.
Second hand? prices are so different that is impossible to determinate, and selling on auction sites, are NEVER the way to go.

Lilgrafx

Yeah for Turbo grafx VGPC is pretty messed up, they sometime mix the PC Engine versions of game with the US and there is numerous PCE games listed that never came out here. I know a store near me that prices everything through that site so I can get a lot of good deals through them.

FiftyQuid

Quote from: guest on 05/31/2012, 01:43 PMThat's been linked here before, and it looks like it's still a trainwreck.  There's not nearly enough data collected for it to be useful (many 'rare' games have only the most recent eBay sale shown) and it doesn't appropriately separate PCE and TG-16 titles.
Yeah, the pricing is all over the place.  You have highs of $150 with lows of $30.  The only thing I've found it useful for is seeing what games are circulating the most.  High rotation will have many more bullet points on the charts.  Check out Legend of Hero Tonma.  It trades at a cool $40 and then hits $305 without explanation.  Shit like this worries me.

roflmao

I must have missed the earlier post(s) here about this site.  While it's not something I'd use to base value of a game on, it's pretty neat nevertheless.

PikachuWarrior

RacketBoy's articles on rare TG/PCE games are interesting to read.
IMG

csgx1

That site is helpful for looking up older completed eBay auctions that don't show up in the completed search.

VestCunt

Quote from: PikachuWarrior on 05/31/2012, 03:53 PMRacketBoy's articles on rare TG/PCE games are interesting to read.
Rackeyboy is interesting the same way it's interesting to watch Fox News for half an hour every year: "Dear God, people believe this?!?"

Their SMS articles are particularly bad. Whoever wrote SMS valuable guide isn't even aware of holy grails like Smurfs 2 and Mickey's Ultimate Challenge. Likewise, the PC Engine valuable guide doesn't make a lick of sense.
Topic Adjourned.

PikachuWarrior

what would you change on it? Is it because of the date that they were published or is it just not accurate as is?
IMG

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: PikachuWarrior on 06/01/2012, 01:26 PMwhat would you change on it? Is it because of the date that they were published or is it just not accurate as is?
It mixes up foreign releases, bundles and other things in with individual game sales. This is a problem not just for TurboGrafx but all platforms. It might price a game based on how much a lot with other games and hardware went for because it's title is in the ebay auction listing title for example. For say NES games, it might count in reproductions or foreign releases with US releases.
--DragonmasterDan

FiftyQuid

Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 06/01/2012, 01:32 PM
Quote from: PikachuWarrior on 06/01/2012, 01:26 PMwhat would you change on it? Is it because of the date that they were published or is it just not accurate as is?
It mixes up foreign releases, bundles and other things in with individual game sales. This is a problem not just for TurboGrafx but all platforms. It might price a game based on how much a lot with other games and hardware went for because it's title is in the ebay auction listing title for example. For say NES games, it might count in reproductions or foreign releases with US releases.
Yeah I noticed this on a few of the bullet points.  I'm not sure how it scraps/pulls data, but it seems to just use the title.  So if someone is selling Keith Courage w/ TurboGrafx console and it sells for $100 then the chart data is skewed and it looks like Keith Courage sold for $100.

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: FiftyQuid on 06/01/2012, 01:59 PM
Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 06/01/2012, 01:32 PM
Yeah I noticed this on a few of the bullet points.  I'm not sure how it scraps/pulls data, but it seems to just use the title.  So if someone is selling Keith Courage w/ TurboGrafx console and it sells for $100 then the chart data is skewed and it looks like Keith Courage sold for $100.
Yep. And it goes both ways, it can inflate the price listed and de-flate it.

For NES games for example it throws off pricing. the US version of Stadium Events for example is extremely rare 99%  of auctions are for European copies (or reproductions). European copies generally sell for a lot less, however because PriceCharting doesn't seperate territories, all games labeled as Stadium Events NES get mixed into it's pricing.
--DragonmasterDan

xcrement5x

Yeah, VGPC is all over the place for some stuff.  It's especially hard to price loose vs. complete for things, and I've seen plenty of auctions where they never even show up in the listing. 

I used to use it a bit when I was out and about looking in thifts, but for some reason the mobile version of the site doesn't work on my Blackberry anymore.  I think they're pretty close to tiering the data for free and paid and making their own mobile app, which is kind of lame IMHO.
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

guyjin

As others have said, this is less than completely accurate - the figures on Dynastic Hero were particularly strange - but this could be cool with some more work :)

grimm

Personally i find price charts inaccurate by the very nature. Prices go up and down all the time, and something is always "worth" just as much as 1 person is willing to pay for it. Even if everyone else disagrees with that pricing, its that person who will get it. However, a generic price GUIDE is a better route, preparing people on what to expect to pay.

FiftyQuid

Sites like this are starting to worry me.  I've been looking for about 5 minutes and I don't see where they are getting their information?

http://www.videogamepriceguides.com/blog/other/turbografx-16-tg16/

NecroPhile

Quote from: FiftyQuid on 06/12/2012, 09:03 PMI've been looking for about 5 minutes and I don't see where they are getting their information?
From eBay of course.  Click on any title and you'll see current (often inaccurate) auction listings and a list of previous prices.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

SMF

LOL what a total joke of a price guide.
Welcome to Prime Time B!tch

FiftyQuid

Quote from: SMF on 06/13/2012, 12:45 PMLOL what a total joke of a price guide.
Agreed, but I hate that they make it seem so "official".  People are seeing this shit and buying into it.  Then they go off and try to sell what they have and people scoop them up!  The price on World Sports Champions almost made me throw up.

xcrement5x

Their search terms are sketchy too, sometime it won't find auctions that I would assume show up, and sometimes they lump in lots for an individual item.
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)