@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

NecroPhile's game clears and mindless musings

Started by NecroPhile, 07/11/2012, 12:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NecroPhile

Here's a thread for some personal navel gazing and braggadocio of my leet gaming skillz, along with my worthless thoughts about each game (unlike runin, my thoughts really are worthless).  The goal is to clear a game every two weeks or so, but we'll see how that goes when I run out of the easy stuff.

Clear #1 - The Legend of Xanadu

IMG

To belatedly start the ball rolling ('twas finished just before the end of the June), it's teh LoX!  This is a fantastic adventurey rpg that any fan of the Ys games should take a look at; it's cutscenes are amongst the best you'll find on the PCE, the music is pretty good (though mostly chip tunes and not red book), the puzzles are plentiful and tricky but not frustratingly so, and the side scrolling bits and boss fights are absolutely beautiful.  Just one word of warning for those that find moon runes incomprehensible (like me): it's a bit hard to get started out, but the pace picks up considerably once you learn the ropes; I suggest starting with blueraven's walkthrough to get you started with minimal fuss and consulting it (whenever it's finished) or the one at mindrec when you get stuck (it will happen).
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Arkhan Asylum

why did you put this in the Turbob section!  Xanaduder is a PCE game!

WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

soop

Quote from: esteban on 04/26/2018, 04:44 PMSHUTTLECOCK OR SHUFFLE OFF!

JoshTurboTrollX

Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 07/11/2012, 05:01 PMwhy did you put this in the Turbob section!  Xanaduder is a PCE game!

WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE.
He PROLLY didn't know that there are DIFFRENT forum sections coz he's a NUB with only 10,000 POSTSTS.....

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

;)
Necro:  next is Emerican Dragoon?
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion/blackmail!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: JoshTurboTrollX-16 on 07/12/2012, 09:29 AMNecro:  next is Emerican Dragoon?
EMERALD DRAGON!112

fuck, that game is badass.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

NecroPhile

Clear #2 - The Legend of Xanadu II

IMG

This one is more of the same, only less so; it was almost disappointing after playing LoX I, but it's a fine game taken by itself (think Air Zonk and Super Air Zonk, but not that disappointing).  Though much shorter, more linear, with less impressive cut scenes, lacking the clever puzzles of the original, and missing the side scrolling sections before the boss fights, it's still lots of fun and has stayed the course (tunes and boss fights) or made minor improvements (overhead scenery).  All in all it's a fantastic ride, but I'd advise peeps to play this one first as an appetizer for the main course that is LoX I.

esteban

Necro, I'm enjoying this thread so far. :pcds:

Especially your OUI OUI JUMBO-sized screenshots.

IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Mathius

geise

esteban

NecroPhile

Clear #3 - Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego?

IMG

It's not terribly difficult or very long, but it was still kinda fun.   The presentation is rather primitive (about what you'd expect from an early CD-ROM2 title), but most of the backdrops look good or at least okay, and the little animated scenes when you're on the right track are cute (unfortunately there's only three of 'em).  It's too bad they didn't bring this one to the US; it would've fit in nicely with their edutainment stuff, and there's already an option to play in English anyway, though a few minor things are still in Japanese.

esteban

Yes! Carmen SanDiego. I never thought I would play the PCE version, but I picked it up on a whim. So, you actually played this game. I can't believe it.

I played PC/C64 versions when I was a kid in the 80's.

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: NecroPhile on 08/02/2012, 11:05 AMClear #3 - Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego?

IMG

It's not terribly difficult or very long, but it was still kinda fun.   The presentation is rather primitive (about what you'd expect from an early CD-ROM2 title), but most of the backdrops look good or at least okay, and the little animated scenes when you're on the right track are cute (unfortunately there's only three of 'em).  It's too bad they didn't bring this one to the US; it would've fit in nicely with their edutainment stuff, and there's already an option to play in English anyway, though a few minor things are still in Japanese.
I have to admit, I kind of want this version of it.
--DragonmasterDan

Mathius

I LOVED the Apple II version way back when. I didn't know the PCE version had an English language option! Looks like I will have to pick this one up.

reno5

Was playing Carmen Sandiego on a Tandy 1000 EX in 1984.. Need to find a copy for the PCE !

NecroPhile

I highly recommend it to you guys; it's cheap enough that everyone should give it a try, even if they don't have any nostalgic feelings for it.  The tunes are pretty funky too - each location gets its own unique song, but they unfortunately stop when you do anything in the menu.

reno5

That's what i just did. Found one for 10$ shipped ! Love the "make offer" option in ebay !

SMF

Welcome to Prime Time B!tch

esteban

For folks interested in this game: It should be super cheap (a few dollars) if you look in the right places. :pcgs:

roflmao

I have fond memories of playing this as a young'un.  Another title to add to my wishlist... :wink:

NecroPhile

Clear #4 - Emerald Dragon

IMG

Not a bad RPG and close enough to the SF version that even a dummy like me could use its walkthrough and get to the end.  The cut scenes are quite nicely done, it's colorful (sometimes a bit too colorful, looking like a unicorn exploded or something), and its battle system is rather unique - it's turn based like most RPGs but attacking enemies is directly controlled by ramming into them (kinda like in Ys), and you control only the main character while the computer does a mostly competent job of controlling the rest of your party (healing where appropriate, running away when injured, and ganging up on whoever is closest).

reno5

Nice, waiting for mine to come in and i'll play it

NecroPhile

Clear #5 - Dracula X

IMG

There's not much new to say about this one - if you like platformers at all, you owe it to yourself to get this one.  It's about as perfect as a game can get: fantastic scenery, nicely done cut scenes, an awesome soundtrack, superb controls, beautifully animated sprites, and excellent replay value with hidden exits, branching paths, and two playable characters.

esteban

PunkCryborg

Carmen San Diego is about one of the easiest clears. That and Alzadick. I loved Carmen San Diego on pc when I was a kid so I really liked this version. Too bad the songs don't play for more then a few seconds because I really liked some of the tracks.

esadajr

Quote from: NecroPhile on 08/28/2012, 11:02 AMClear #5 - Dracula X

There's not much new to say about this one - if you like platformers at all, you owe it to yourself to get this one.  It's about as perfect as a game can get: fantastic scenery, nicely done cut scenes, an awesome soundtrack, superb controls, beautifully animated sprites, and excellent replay value with hidden exits, branching paths, and two playable characters.
I like those old school TV screen pictures. Best way to prove an emulator was not used.
Gaming since 1985

NecroPhile

Clear #6 - Bazaaru de Gozaaru no Geemu de Gozaaru

IMG

This fun if easy puzzler is cuter than a bug's ear, just like the lil' NEC mascot it features.  It's hard not to smile while making Bazzy jump, dance, and spin his way to the exit, dodging barking doggies and mean warthogs along the way, and there's a decent amount of replay value in trying to collect all the money bags too (to spend on furnishings for the monkey bachelor pad).

If you get stuck: Bazzy Guide.

Arkhan Asylum

When you gonna beat Circus Lido and post that up!?

PunkCryborg

you should raffle off that bazzy now you are done with it! and only enter me into the raffle.

esteban

Bazzy is one of those games that I want to play...but not sure when I'll ever get a chance to... WOE IS ME IMG

Also, Rover and I know that Bazzy loves platanos, not bananas (a common misconception we have been trying to dispel for years now).

NecroPhile

Clear #7 - Dragon Slayer: The Legend Of Heroes

IMG

Though definitely not perfect, it's a pretty good RPG if you have a sense of humor and enjoy cheesy dialogue.  I like to think of it as turn based Ys, as it has similarly cute little Falcom sprites, a bordered play field, and great tunes; and even though it's not ram 'em style fighting, the battles are quick and painless, even automatic if ya want.  Plus, you never really need to grind for hours on end just to make headway, and there's a handy item to reveal monsters when a little grinding is in order (bring the fight to the beasties!).  My only gripes are that it could use more cutscenes and that the voice work is ill fitting, but overall it's good fun and well worth a play through.

reno5

I still need to fin a copy of this game at a good price. Seem to be a great game.

PunkCryborg

damn NecroPhile you are knocking them out! Next game should be MOTHER F'N ENERGY!!!!!!!!!!

NecroPhile

Clear #8 - Dragon's Curse

IMG

It's a bit primitive looking, but not offensively so, as everything is colorful, cartoony, and cute as hell.  It's fun too, with enough wandering around and back tracking to feel more adventurey than tedius (quick warps back to town help a ton); I just wish it were a bit longer.

NecroPhile

Clear #9 - Urusei Yatsura - Stay With You

IMG

Not bad as far as digital comics go, with the action moving along at a fair pace, few (and easily avoided) game overs, a handful of not terribly difficult puzzles, and a few cute and/or funny scenes.  It's definitely worth a look for anyone interested in the genre, or at least anyone that's interested in Lummy.  :D

Now I gotta get me a copy with the bonus music disc, which is what I should've bought in the first place.

Nando

NecroPhile

I can't read a lick of those squiggly things, yet I didn't have any problems following the story from the pictures or making consistent headway by methodically clicking away at commands until something happens.  There's only a handful of spots where you can 'die', but I only had to see the game over screen a couple of times before being able to recognize what I shouldn't be clicking on; just remember to save often.

NecroPhile

Clear #10 - Splatterhouse

IMG

I really dig this one, and it's a good one to clear for Halloween, albeit a bit belatedly.  It's a bit grainy looking, but the gore and beastly badies make up for it, as do the creepy tunes and sound effects (my favorites being Jennifer's "help me" and the squeal of the fetus thingys).

P.S. - Is it just me or does that look a bit like Robin Williams?

Mathius

I think my favorite track in the game is during the final boss fight.

esteban

Ha! Robin Williams!

And, yes, the most awesome moment in the game is when you have to kill Jennifer after she pleads for your help. Twisted.

:pcgs:

PunkCryborg

Necro you need to play splatterhouse wanpaku graffiti next on famicom its so awesome

NecroPhile

Quote from: PunkCryborg on 11/06/2012, 04:27 PMNecro you need to play splatterhouse wanpaku graffiti next on famicom its so awesome
Famicom is not OBEY.  :P

esteban

Quote from: NecroPhile on 11/06/2012, 04:39 PM
Quote from: PunkCryborg on 11/06/2012, 04:27 PMNecro you need to play splatterhouse wanpaku graffiti next on famicom its so awesome
Famicom is not OBEY.  :P
Speaking of OBEY, you played Splatterhouse on HARD MODE, yes? If not, you haven't really beaten it properly. GO BACK AND BEAT IT LIKE A MAN (see what I did there?), NECRO.

IMG

VestCunt

Topic Adjourned.

NecroPhile

Quote from: esteban on 11/06/2012, 06:21 PMSpeaking of OBEY, you played Splatterhouse on HARD MODE, yes? If not, you haven't really beaten it properly. GO BACK AND BEAT IT LIKE A MAN (see what I did there?), NECRO.
Like all my clears, it was beaten on the normal difficulty level and without continues, but I'm willing to give it a go.  :mrgreen:

PunkCryborg

well even though wanpaku graffiti isn't OBEY it's still awesome if you are a splatterhouse fan

csgx1

Quote from: NecroPhile on 11/07/2012, 10:09 AM
Quote from: esteban on 11/06/2012, 06:21 PMSpeaking of OBEY, you played Splatterhouse on HARD MODE, yes? If not, you haven't really beaten it properly. GO BACK AND BEAT IT LIKE A MAN (see what I did there?), NECRO.
Like all my clears, it was beaten on the normal difficulty level and without continues, but I'm willing to give it a go.  :mrgreen:
Hard mode isn't that much harder than normal, from what I remember when I beat it on hard.  Enemies just take a few more hits.

NecroPhile

Do you get more points or a different ending on hard mode?

esteban

Quote from: csgx1 on 11/07/2012, 06:36 PM
Quote from: NecroPhile on 11/07/2012, 10:09 AM
Hard mode isn't that much harder than normal, from what I remember when I beat it on hard.  Enemies just take a few more hits.
One-hit-death for poor Rick would be the best test of your skills.

NecroPhile

Clear #11 - Dungeon Explorer

IMG
(started with the fighter and switched to the princess after freeing her)

A top ten huey that everyone should have, but y'all knew that already.   So much fun (by yourself or with friends), with some of the best chippy tunes around and good replay value with the different characters (the princess and hermit are my favorites).  My only complaint is that it's a bit short, but that's where the sequel comes in.