RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

Can a failed region mod damage a HuCard?

Started by tpivette, 07/12/2012, 07:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tpivette

So I found a copy of Neutopia real cheap... however the owner claims a failed region mod damaged the game, resulting in a white screen only upon powering on with this game. Is this possible? what are the chances he just F'ed up his Turbo or the contacts just need to be polished or cleaned? Would it be worth it to purchase and try to fix if its likely damaged?
Original owner of a TG-16 since 1989!

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
Vita - Conception 2
PS3 - Tales of Graces f
Wii U - Monster Hunter 3 Ulltimate

Keith Courage

There is really no way to know without trying it on a working system. I could see a bad region mod messing up the card however I have never had it happen to me. There have a been a few times here and there where I have accidentally got one wire swapped with another when testing out a region mod. Card always worked fine after fixing the mix up. So it's a tough gamble.

Tatsujin

Messing up yes, destroying it rather less. Unless you switch the region mod while the game is turned on, who knows.

All you can do is cleaning it as much as possible (rubber, alcohol etc.) and testing it on a 100% working system.
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

MottZilla

It is unlikely but it really depends on how exactly it messed up. I'd say it's worth a shot on a known working system. Unless he wants too much money for the card.

Bernie

Anything more than FREE for a known non-working card is too much.

Tatsujin

www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

soop

Quote from: Bernie on 07/13/2012, 05:44 AMAnything more than FREE for a known non-working card is too much.
I beg to differ - on the off-chance it works you get a game, if it doesn't, you get a neat keyring :)  And it has actually been quite useful having a HuCard with me at all times.
Quote from: esteban on 04/26/2018, 04:44 PMSHUTTLECOCK OR SHUFFLE OFF!

Bernie

soop.. you have to be kidding right?

soop

Quote from: Bernie on 07/13/2012, 06:56 AMsoop.. you have to be kidding right?
Nope!

IMG

I love it!  It's getting a tad scratched now, but I always have a Hucard with me.  Good conversation topic (most people have never seen one), it makes me happy, and if you ever need to know the dimensions of a HuCard, you have one in your pocket!
Quote from: esteban on 04/26/2018, 04:44 PMSHUTTLECOCK OR SHUFFLE OFF!

meka

turbokon

I accidentally switch the region while still powered on once, game and system still works after that.

Quote from: soop on 07/13/2012, 07:07 AM
Quote from: Bernie on 07/13/2012, 06:56 AMsoop.. you have to be kidding right?
Nope!

IMG

I love it!  It's getting a tad scratched now, but I always have a Hucard with me.  Good conversation topic (most people have never seen one), it makes me happy, and if you ever need to know the dimensions of a HuCard, you have one in your pocket!
That's cool!!
Turbo fan since 1991 after owning my first system.

Check out my website:)
www.tg16pcemods.com

tpivette

Well, I overslept this morning and missed the auction. It was only going for $1 with no bids when I checked last night (complete with manual/case too). Oh well, maybe he"ll repost it if nobody bids. Would have been interesting to purchase it, clean it, and try it on my system
Original owner of a TG-16 since 1989!

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
Vita - Conception 2
PS3 - Tales of Graces f
Wii U - Monster Hunter 3 Ulltimate

kiketonto

Buy it! a t least it's a good way to have a keychain like soop