10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

Top TurboGrafx-16 games (as voted by users)

Started by Damon Plus, 07/28/2012, 07:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HercTNT

Quote from: Damon Plus on 08/10/2012, 04:37 PMWell, I didn't count your list because:

Dungeon Explorer Two this is just two dungeon explorer cards glued one on top of another. Rumored to be the sixth secret Supergrafx game.
Dungeon Explorer II this was to be the pack-in for the Snes CD, so it doesn't count for this list.
Dungeon Explorer Dos this is the extremely rare spanish translation of the second part, not even one has surfaced, ever. Magical Chase rare? Ha!
Dungeon Explorer the Second was the never released sequel of the sequel (sort of like Street Fighter: the movie: the game)

Of course you can redo your entire list and I'll count it.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: =D> =D> =D>

motdelbourt

Quote from: Damon Plus on 08/10/2012, 04:37 PMWell, I didn't count your list because:

Dungeon Explorer Two this is just two dungeon explorer cards glued one on top of another. Rumored to be the sixth secret Supergrafx game.
Dungeon Explorer II this was to be the pack-in for the Snes CD, so it doesn't count for this list.
Dungeon Explorer Dos this is the extremely rare spanish translation of the second part, not even one has surfaced, ever. Magical Chase rare? Ha!
Dungeon Explorer the Second was the never released sequel of the sequel (sort of like Street Fighter: the movie: the game)

Of course you can redo your entire list and I'll count it.
You forgot Double Dungeon Explorer.

420GOAT

rtype
devils crush
legendaryh axe
devils crush
sidearms
I want to be more like 337.

The Wolf: If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the fucking car.

FiftyQuid

Am I too late?  Well I gotta start with the obvious games, these are the ones I enjoyed as a kid and the ENTIRE reason I purchased a TG-16 back in the '90's.

Bonk's Adventure
Splatterhouse
Devil's Crush
Ninja Spirit
Bonk's Revenge
R-Type
Legendary Axe
Neutopia
Raiden
Keith Courage
I'm busy playing pinball, but I still drop by to visit.

Damon Plus

Of course not, I will update the list periodically. 420GOAT, there must be 10 games on your list, they must be US releases and be in descending order for your list to count.

Update!

Air Zonk takes the top spot by a hair, while Bonk's Adenture regains terrain to end at 4th place. The top 10 doesn't change much other than Alien Crush leaving it for Dungeon Explorer and Military Madness falling two positions. Also, I've only done a Top 15 CD games as there is roughly 40 releases, and 7-8 entries lists are fine from now on.

Top Turbografx-16 games

1-Air Zonk (88)
2-Bonk's Revenge (86)
3-Neutopia (73)
4-Bonk's Adventure (64)
5-Bomberman 93 (62)
6-Blazing Lazers (58)
7-Ninja Spirit (53)
8-Dungeon Explorer (50)
9-Military Madness (48)
10-Devil's Crush (45)

11-Splatterhouse (44)
12-Alien Crush (41)
13-Neutopia 2 (39)
14-Soldier Blade (36)
14-Legendary Axe (36)
16-Cadash (33)
17-Magical Chase (28)
18-Dragon's Curse (24)
19-Final Lap Twin (22)
20-New Adventure Island (19)

21-R-Type (17)
22-Bloody Wolf (14)
22-Bomberman (14)
24-Legendary Axe 2 (12)
25-Double Dungeon (11)
26-Silent Debuggers (10)
26-Order of the Griffon (10)
26-AeroBlasters (10)
29-Parasol Stars (9)
29-Raiden (9)

Other games:
-JJ and Jeff (7)
-Legend of Hero Tonma (7)
-Sidearms (7)
-Cyber Core (6)
-World Class Baseball (6)
-Andre Panza Kickboxing (5)
- Jackie Chan's Action Kung Fu (4)
-Bonk 3 (4)
-World Court Tennis (3)
-Chase HQ (3)
-Takin it to the Hoop (3)
-Hit the Ice (3)
-Super Star Soldier (2)
-Time Cruise (2)
-Victory Run (2)
-Keith Courage in Alpha Zones (2)
-Psychosis (1)
-Dragon Spirit (1)
-Cybercore (1)
-Shockman (1)
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top Turbo-CD games

1- Ys I & II (64)
2-Gates of Thunder (61)
3-Lords of Thunder (40)
4-Dynastic Hero (39)
5-Dragon Slayer (26)

6-Ys III (25)
7-Dungeon Explorer 2 (20)
8-Vasteel (16)
9-Beyond Shadowgate (14)
10-Valis III (13)

11-Forgotten Worlds (11)
12-Exile (10)
13-Cotton (9)
13-Last Alert (9)
15-Riot Zone (8)

Other games:
-Cosmic Fantasy 2 (7)
-Splash Lake (7)
-Camp California (6)
-Buster Bros (6)
-Monster Lair (4)
-Shape Shifter (4)
-John Madden Duo CD Football (3)
-Super Air Zonk (5)
-Lords of the Raising Sun (2)
-Final Zone 2 (2)
-Addams Family (2)
 -Insanity (1)
 -Prince of Persia (1)

Paisa49

Blazing Lazers
Bonk's Revenge
Ninja Spirit
Devil's Crush
Bomberman 93
Splatterhouse
Dragon's Curse
Soldier Blade
Legendary Axe II
Magical Chase

FraGMarE

1 Ninja Spirit
2 Bonk's Revenge
3 Soldier Blade
4 Bomberman '93
5 Blazing Lazers
6 Devil's Crush
7 Military Madness
8 R-Type
9 Bloody Wolf
10 Legendary Axe

Just couldn't fit in Neutopia 1 or 2, Aeroblasters or Air Zonk anywhere  :(  I tried.

VestCunt

Quote from: Damon Plus on 08/13/2012, 04:13 AMUpdate!
Thanks for dong this Damon. It fulfills the deep, spiritual need for Top 30 lists that I've felt since failing to renew my Nintendo Power subscription in 1991. See if you can talk Keranu or Joe into making this a sticky.
Topic Adjourned.

MrFlutterPie

1. Splatterhouse
2. Bonk's Revenge
3. Cadash
4. Bloody Wolf
5. Ninja Spirit
6. Legendary Axe 2
7. R-Type
8. Air Zonk
9. Blazing Lasers
10.Galaga 90

Damon Plus

Quote from: guest on 08/14/2012, 03:58 PM
Thanks for dong this Damon. It fulfills the deep, spiritual need for Top 30 lists that I've felt since failing to renew my Nintendo Power subscription in 1991. See if you can talk Keranu or Joe into making this a sticky.
I really love this kind of lists. The top 100 Atari 2600 games that is a sticky in Atariage is also mine, altough that one is from 2004 or so.

Quote from: MrFlutterPie on 08/14/2012, 04:05 PM1. Splatterhouse
2. Bonk's Revenge
3. Cadash
4. Bloody Wolf
5. Ninja Spirit
6. Legendary Axe 2
7. R-Type
8. Air Zonk
9. Blazing Lasers
10.Galaga 90
Now that I think about it, that is the lone point Galaga 90 has gotten!

hizaygizirlz

Quote from: Damon Plus on 08/14/2012, 05:33 PM
Quote from: guest on 08/14/2012, 03:58 PM
I really love this kind of lists. The top 100 Atari 2600 games that is a sticky in Atariage is also mine, altough that one is from 2004 or so.

Quote from: MrFlutterPie on 08/14/2012, 04:05 PM1. Splatterhouse
2. Bonk's Revenge
3. Cadash
4. Bloody Wolf
5. Ninja Spirit
6. Legendary Axe 2
7. R-Type
8. Air Zonk
9. Blazing Lasers
10.Galaga 90
Now that I think about it, that is the lone point Galaga 90 has gotten!
I'll fix that when I do my list it will be top 5 i think.  It gets hard, you widdle it down to 15-17 games and quality gets left on the chopping block.  Galaga won't though.
Gypsies did it.

Got no luv for the krackers only slugs for the krackers!

MrFlutterPie

What can I say I love me some some Galaga 90 :P  A simpler but fun shooter.

DildoKKKobold

I find it interesting that Neutopia 2 is rated lower than Neutopia 1, since Neutopia 2 is such a better game.

Also, I'd like to contribute my list, since evil has hit the list, dropping DE2 from the top 5.

1. Dungeon Explorer 2
2. Dungeon Explorer 2
3. Dungeon Explorer 2
4. Dungeon Explorer 2
5. Dungeon Explorer 2
6. Dungeon Explorer 2
7. Dungeon Explorer 2
8. Dungeon Explorer 2
9. Dungeon Explorer 2
10. Dungeon Explorer 2
For a good time, email: kylethomson@gmail.com
Dildos provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
DoxPhile .com / chat
IMG

TheClash603

Dungeon Explorer is an overrated franchise.  I've said it before and I am sure I will say it again.

hizaygizirlz

Quote from: TheClash603 on 08/14/2012, 11:30 PMDungeon Explorer is an overrated franchise.  I've said it before and I am sure I will say it again.
Then whenever I make my list official you aren't gonna like number 1.

QuoteI find it interesting that Neutopia 2 is rated lower than Neutopia 1, since Neutopia 2 is such a better game.

Also, I'd like to contribute my list, since evil has hit the list, dropping DE2 from the top 5.
Probably more people played that when they were little and got the "wow" factor out of it.  The sequel is a much better game, but less "wow" factor since it improves on the foundation set by the first one.
Gypsies did it.

Got no luv for the krackers only slugs for the krackers!

CrackTiger

I was disappointed by Neutopia II. I love the first game and have been meaning to give the sequel another shot, but it just wasn't as fun or special. Like Bomberman '94, it seemed to be a case of throwing a bunch more stuff into a sequel without narrowing down the magic that made the previous game so timeless.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

DildoKKKobold

Quote from: CrackTiger on 08/15/2012, 01:28 AMI was disappointed by Neutopia II. I love the first game and have been meaning to give the sequel another shot, but it just wasn't as fun or special. Like Bomberman '94, it seemed to be a case of throwing a bunch more stuff into a sequel without narrowing down the magic that made the previous game so timeless.
Having played both at approximately the same time, I have a different view. Neutopia 2 just improved on so much of the first one.

First, the Moonbeam moss mechanic was absolutely obnoxious in the first one - every 6 rooms you have to pause, switch to the MBM, and re-light, then switch back to your other item. Irritating! I believe it lasts longer in N2, and faaaar less rooms use the lights-out mechanic.

Second, you don't get the speed-boots until the 4th plateau in Neutopia, 6 dungeons in. So it is sloooow walking for 3/4 of the game. In N2, you get them after the 3rd dungeon, which means you get them 3/8ths of the way through - much better.

Story wise, there is a reason to go through each dungeon in N2. Get the MacGuffin to get around the next hurdle, which is at least slightly more interesting then "Collect 8 MacGuffin's in order, because we said so."

Finally, the boss fights in N2 are just far, far more interesting. I feel like N1 the bosses were just sorta "Welp, we need a boss, what is the most generic thing we can think of?" N2 had far more interesting battles.

That said, I can see where N2 is just N1 plus a few improvements - filtered through the glasses of nostalgia, it would seem better than a mediocre sequel.

For a good time, email: kylethomson@gmail.com
Dildos provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
DoxPhile .com / chat
IMG

Gao

1. Dragon's Curse
2. Legendary Axe
3. Devil's Crush
4. Aero Blasters
5. Blazing Lazers
6. Galaga '90
7. Bonk's Revenge
8. Parasol Stars
9. Bonk's Adventure
10. Ninja Spirit

Sadler

I really struggled with this one, too many awesome games!

US CD games:

1. Ys III
2. Lords of Thunder
3. Gate of Thunder
4. Dungeon Explorer 2
5. Ys I & II
6. Exile
7. Splash Lake
8. Shape Shifter
9. Dragon Slayer
10. Beyond Shadowgate

Bardoly

I will vote in this, but not until I've played a few more games a bit more.  I do know that Cadash will be in my top 10 (if not my #1), and I really enjoyed both Neutopia games, both Bonk games, and Air Zonk, along with others, but I really need to get some more play time in before I can post up a top 10.

Bardoly

Bump, because I'd really like to see some more votes cast (especially for Turbo CD).

turboswimbz

So far here are mine (Hu only as you should be able to tell):

1 Bonk's Revenge
2 Splatterhouse
3 Bonk's Adventure
4 Bloody Wolf
5 Bomberman
6 Parasol Stars
7 Boxy Boy
8 Fantasy Zone
9 Dungeon Explorer
10 Dead Moon
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)
BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere. You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

reno5

I'll change mine when i'll have played more games. My top 10 is based on the games i owned in the past and had time to play a lot.

I now have more games so my top ten will probably change :)

Damon Plus

Update! Bonk's Revenge has received A LOT of points and has skyrocketed to the first position, and is now ahead of the second spot by 36 points! Ninja Spirit is another one that has gotten a big bost, along with Blazing Lazers, Splatterhouse and Devil's Crush. Things are getting tight in the top ten, with a handful of games separated by just a few points. Not much changes to the CD games list, as just one list was added. Keept those votes coming!

Top Turbografx-16 games

1-Bonk's Revenge (127)
2-Air Zonk (91)
3-Blazing Lazers (84)
4-Ninja Spirit (78)
5-Bomberman 93 (75)
6-Bonk's Adventure (74)
7-Neutopia (73)
8-Splatterhouse (68)
9-Devil's Crush (65)
10-Military Madness (52)
10-Dungeon Explorer (52)

12-Soldier Blade (47)
13-Legendary Axe (46)
14-Alien Crush (41)
14-Cadash (41)
16-Neutopia 2 (39)
17-Dragon's Curse (38)
18-Bloody Wolf (30)
19-Magical Chase (29)
20-R-Type (24)

21-Final Lap Twin (22)
22-Bomberman (20)
23-New Adventure Island (19)
23-Legendary Axe 2 (19)
25-AeroBlasters (17)
25-Parasol Stars (17)
27-Double Dungeon (11)
28-Silent Debuggers (10)
28-Order of the Griffon (10)
30-Raiden (9)

Other games:
-JJ and Jeff (7)
-Legend of Hero Tonma (7)
-Sidearms (7)
-Cyber Core (6)
-World Class Baseball (6)
-Galaga 90  (6)
-Andre Panza Kickboxing (5)
-Jackie Chan's Action Kung Fu (4)
-Boxy Boy (4)
-Bonk 3 (4)
-World Court Tennis (3)
-Chase HQ (3)
-Takin it to the Hoop (3)
-Fantasy Zone (3)
-Hit the Ice (3)
-Super Star Soldier (2)
-Time Cruise (2)
-Victory Run (2)
-Keith Courage in Alpha Zones (2)
-Psychosis (1)
-Dragon Spirit (1)
-Cybercore (1)
-Shockman (1)
-Dead Moon (1)
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top Turbo-CD games

1- Ys I & II (70)
2-Gates of Thunder (69)
3-Lords of Thunder (49)
4-Dynastic Hero (39)
5-Ys III (35)

6-Dragon Slayer (28)
7-Dungeon Explorer 2 (27)
8-Vasteel (16)
9-Beyond Shadowgate (15)
10-Exile (15)

11-Valis III (13)
12-Forgotten Worlds (11)
12-Splash Lake (11)
14Cotton (9)
14-Last Alert (9)

Other games:
-Riot Zone (8 )
-Cosmic Fantasy 2 (7)
-Shape Shifter (7)
-Camp California (6)
-Buster Bros (6)
-Super Air Zonk (5)
-Monster Lair (4)
-John Madden Duo CD Football (3)
-Lords of the Raising Sun (2)
-Final Zone 2 (2)
-Addams Family (2)
 -Insanity (1)
 -Prince of Persia (1)

roflmao

If I only had the current top ten, I'd be a mighty happy camper, though all 30 are good games. :D

kazekirifx

TG16
1. Soldier Blade
2. Air Zonk
3. Magical Chase
4. Bonk's Revenge
5. Bonk's Adventure
6. New Adventure Island
7. Dragon's Curse
8. Bonk 3
9. Bomberman
10. Cadash

TGCD
1. Lords of Thunder
2. Cotton
3. Ys Book I&II
4. Gate of Thunder
5. Cosmic Fantasy 2
6. Ys III
7. Exile
8. Valis 3
9. Super Air Zonk
10. Monster Lair

Damon Plus

Nobody interested in posting their lists?:(

Bardoly

Quote from: Damon Plus on 09/04/2012, 02:14 AMNobody interested in posting their lists?:(
I really want to, but with my limited experience, I really want to get some more play time in before voting.
(I already know that Cadash will definitely make the top 10 - if not the number 1 slot.)

Damon Plus

I'm still interested in updating this thread. If no more votes are posted I'll let the list sink in the deep waters of the Turbografx discussion board, where it would go on to make company to Deep Blue Sea.

Bardoly

Quote from: Damon Plus on 09/17/2012, 02:47 AMI'm still interested in updating this thread. If no more votes are posted I'll let the list sink in the deep waters of the Turbografx discussion board, where it would go on to make company to Deep Blue Sea.
I'm still interested in following this thread.  If no more votes are posted, then I'll let myself sink in the deep cushion of my couch, where I'll go playing Turbo games with my friends.

jlued686

Bonk's Adventure
Bonk's Revenge
Parasol Stars
Dungeon Explorer
Bloody Wolf
Neutopia 2
Air Zonk
Alien Crush
Blazing Lazers
Dragon's Curse

Gate of Thunder
Lords of Thunder
Cosmic Fantasy 2
Ys: Book 1&2
Dungeon Explorer 2
Dynastic Hero
Ys 3
Dragon Slayer
Shape Shifter
Super Air Zonk

kazekirifx

Why is Soldier Blade way down at 12?! This is an injustice of the highest order.

TheClash603

I love when people post their lists, the variety is a lot of fun to see.

Keep posting people!

Bardoly

I'm really tempted to post my current favorites, and then a few months from now after I've tried more, compare lists with myself.  It's just that there are so many that I haven't tried yet.  I feel that to be worthy to post a top 10 in this situation, one should have actually played at least half or more of the system's library.

jlued686

Parasol Stars being all the way down at 25 is offensive. You've all offended me. I'm offended.

Poo...

esteban

QuoteParasol Stars being all the way down at 25 is offensive. You've all offended me. I'm offended.

Poo...
Agreed. I haven't voted yet. It's too difficult. BUT PARASOL STARS WILL BE IN MY TOP 10. :pcgs:
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

FraGMarE

I think this list should be an annual thing we do.  :)

Bardoly

Quote from: fragmare on 09/22/2012, 09:14 AMI think this list should be an annual thing we do.  :)
That might work.  I means, people's tastes change.  Right?
My biggest problem is that I don't feel that I've played enough games to give a very accurate vote.

CPTRAVE

I have not played enough games to make a list yet. But I am working on it.

arex

My top 10:

HuCards
1) Bonk's Adventure
2) Aero Blasters
3) Military Madness
4) Dungeon Explorer
5) Bomberman '93
6) Galaga '90
7) Blazing Lazers
8.  Ninja Spirit
9) Devil's Crush
10) Neutopia

Honorable mention: Alien Crush, Bonk's Revenge, Battle Royale, Veigues Tactical Gladiator, Klax

PCE games that would be in my top 10--Parodius, Street Fighter II', Dodge Ball

Turbo CDs
1) Ys Book I & II
2) Lords of Thunder
3) Gate of Thunder
4) Ys III
5) Monster Lair

PCE CDs that would be up there: Dracula X, Shubibinman 3, Cho Aniki, Spriggan

Marll

My top ten lists (this is tough!)

TG-16:

1. Dungeon Explorer
2. Military Madness
3. Ninja Spirit
4. Blazing Lazers
5. Parasol Stars
6. Bonk's Adventure
7. Neutopia
8. Legendary Axe
9. Splatterhouse
10. Veigues Tactical Gladiator

(PCE that would be up there as well: Street Fighter 2)

TG-CD/Duo

1. Ys Book I & II
2. Splash Lake
3. Gate of Thunder
4. Dungeon Explorer II
5. Dragon Slayer
6. Cosmic Fantasy 2
7. Lords of Thunder
8. Last Alert
9. Lords of the Rising Sun
10. Exile

(PCE game that should be up there too: Dracula X)
Take into account that these are titles that I actually own and have played. I'm not commenting on ones that I haven't played or don't own, as I'm sure the list would change a bit.
Rabid Turbo fan since 1989!
Happy F@ck eBay member since 2010

kazekirifx

Kinda sad when an inferior port is one of the top games on a system (Dynastic Hero).
(Yeah. I know it's not a bad game, but the Genesis version is better, and was released much earlier.)

FraGMarE

TGCD
-----
Gate Of Thunder
Ys Book I & II
Lords Of Thunder
Beyond Shadowgate
Dungeon Explorer II
Cosmic Fantasy 2
Ys III
Dragon Slayer
Cotton
Exile

CrackTiger

Quote from: kazekirifx on 10/03/2012, 09:03 PMKinda sad when an inferior port is one of the top games on a system (Dynastic Hero).
(Yeah. I know it's not a bad game, but the Genesis version is better, and was released much earlier.)
The same can be said of the Sega-CD games Lords of Thunder, Cobra II and depending on personal taste, Snatcher.

Mega Bomberman is also one of my favorite Genesis games.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

kazekirifx

Quote from: guest on 10/04/2012, 01:01 PMThe same can be said of the Sega-CD games Lords of Thunder, Cobra II and depending on personal taste, Snatcher.
100% agreement on Lords of Thunder. Haven't played both versions of the other two though.

CGQuarterly

I'll probably have a different list once my turbo palette gets more refined.

1. Galaga 90
2. Bonk's Revenge
3. Legendary Axe
4. Military Madness
5. Neutopia
6. Dungeon Explorer
7. Bonk's Adventure
8. Devil's Crush
9. Ninja Spirit
10. Splatterhouse

Chris

esteban

Quote from: guest on 10/04/2012, 01:01 PM
Quote from: kazekirifx on 10/03/2012, 09:03 PMKinda sad when an inferior port is one of the top games on a system (Dynastic Hero).
The same can be said of the Sega-CD games Lords of Thunder, Cobra II and depending on personal taste, Snatcher.

Mega Bomberman is also one of my favorite Genesis games.
Continuing the discussion...

Even with the crappy direction pad, SMS Wonderboy is probably my favorite compared to its "related kin". I know this isn't a fair "apples-to-apples" comparison, but it's close enough.

That said, I still adore all iterations of Wonderboy 1.

Then, when we move to Dragon's Trap vs. Dragon's Curse... well, I adore both, but there's a part of me that loves the TG-16 version just a bit more.

There's one extra molecule of love in my heart for Dragon's Curse... :pcgs:

Finally, when it comes to SHINOBI, I love the SMS version so much more than the PCE version. I'm not saying the PCE version is objectively weaker, I'm just saying that the SMS version is my favorite. I suspect that my disappointment in the PCE HuCard has made me criticize it more harshly than I would otherwise. This isn't fair, but DAMN, the PCE HuCard could have (and should have) been AWESOME.

CrackTiger

I like Wonderboy SMS more than the arcade or any other Adventure Island variant. The SMS screw in knob controls perfectly fine (I prefer it to the NES1 stock d-pad), but the d-pad is irrelevant as you can use a Genesis or other pads/sticks.

Dragon's Trap is technically designed better with the open end content, but the gameplay is inferior due to the low framerate and the already great aesthetics got a big boost. Both versions are two of the greatest games ever.

esteban

Quote from: guest on 10/06/2012, 12:57 PMI like Wonderboy SMS more than the arcade or any other Adventure Island variant. The SMS screw in knob controls perfectly fine (I prefer it to the NES1 stock d-pad), but the d-pad is irrelevant as you can use a Genesis or other pads/sticks.

Dragon's Trap is technically designed better with the open end content, but the gameplay is inferior due to the low framerate and the already great aesthetics got a big boost. Both versions are two of the greatest games ever.
Agreed. Also, poor SMS can't touch warm PSG tunes...

Damon Plus

Update! Bonk's Revenge solidifies itself at #1, with more than 40 points above the second. The next 10 games are widening the gap above the rest of the list as well. Galaga 90 enters the list, while Raiden leaves it. As for CD games, both Thunder games and Y's I&II are fan favorites by far. Cosmic Fantasy 2 is a big surprise: from not having 7 points to being at #7 spot just in this update.

Top Turbografx-16 games

1-Bonk's Revenge (152)
2-Bonk's Adventure (109)
3-Air Zonk (104)
4-Blazing Lazers (97)
5-Ninja Spirit (91)
6-Neutopia (86)
7-Bomberman 93 (81)
7-Dungeon Explorer (81)
9-Military Madness (76)
10-Splatterhouse (71)

11-Devil's Crush (70)