10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

Sony shuts down Psygnosis ( Studio Liverpool)

Started by Nando, 08/23/2012, 10:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NecroPhile

Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

soop

Oh snap!  I didn't realise Sony Liverpool were Psygnosis!  How dare they.
I remember I sent them my 30 page game design as a kid, and they sent it back with a nice letter and a free game.  Bless 'em.
Quote from: esteban on 04/26/2018, 04:44 PMSHUTTLECOCK OR SHUFFLE OFF!

CGQuarterly

This is like one of those situations where you find out that a celebrity died, but you thought they were already dead.

Psygnosis made a lot of cool early Playstation games that my friends and I enjoyed, so I'm sorry to see them go.

Chris

Nando

BlueBMW

Thats sad :(

My favorite game  by Psygnosis

Atomino.webp
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

CGQuarterly

I can't figure out how to embed youtube videos here, but this is cool anyway.

Chris

Edit:

Game intro animation:

420GOAT

Quote from: soop on 08/23/2012, 10:15 AMOh snap!  I didn't realise Sony Liverpool were Psygnosis!  How dare they.
I remember I sent them my 30 page game design as a kid, and they sent it back with a nice letter and a free game.  Bless 'em.
which game?
I want to be more like 337.

The Wolf: If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the fucking car.

esteban

Quote from: BlueBMW on 08/23/2012, 12:07 PMThats sad :(

My favorite game  by Psygnosis

Atomino.webp
I love this genre (action-puzzle) but I've never played (OK, I've never heard of) Atomino. Watching a video did not make the purpose of the challenge clear, so I had to read a review from some random Amiga magazine.

I must admit, the concept doesn't doesn't immediately win me over, but I'm hoping I'm surprised by this little game :pcgs:.

At least the coverart attempted to bring some drama to the game.

Quote from: 420GOAT on 08/23/2012, 02:01 PM
Quote from: soop on 08/23/2012, 10:15 AMOh snap!  I didn't realise Sony Liverpool were Psygnosis!  How dare they.
which game?
soop shared his thoughts with me in the SHOUTBOX. He said that he had plans for a Super Mario Bros. clone that featured famous "learned men" (soop's term) such as Archimedes and Carl Friedrich Gauss. Instead of collecting coins, you collect legumes. At the end of each world, instead of encountering a Boss (a la Bowser), the player would recite an excerpt from De unitate intellectus, contra Averroistas by Saint Thomas Aquinas.

soop said the working title for his project was Against the Averroistas as well as Eureka!. I don't know if soop personally is offended by Averroism, but, based on our short chat, he certainly seems to hold a grudge against the philosophy.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

soop

Heheh :P

The free game was Leander, which was pretty neat.  IIRC, it was the latest release.  Amiga version.
Quote from: esteban on 04/26/2018, 04:44 PMSHUTTLECOCK OR SHUFFLE OFF!

BlueBMW

Atomino is a puzzle game wherin you must build molecules using four different atoms.  Play field restrictions and size requirements keep it interesting.  The four atoms bond with each other orthogonally.  Blue atoms must make one bond, red two, green three and yellow on all four sides.  They bond automatically when placed but they bond arrangement can be switched.  You have to play fast as atoms to be placed start to stack up.  It gets very challenging at high levels.  If youre going to try it, try the dos version first.
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

esteban

Quote from: BlueBMW on 08/24/2012, 10:41 AMAtomino is a puzzle game wherin you must build molecules using four different atoms.  Play field restrictions and size requirements keep it interesting.  The four atoms bond with each other orthogonally.  Blue atoms must make one bond, red two, green three and yellow on all four sides.  They bond automatically when placed but they bond arrangement can be switched.  You have to play fast as atoms to be placed start to stack up.  It gets very challenging at high levels.  If youre going to try it, try the dos version first.
Heck yes I'm gonig to try it. DOS version, here I come. :pcgs:

Thanks for the scoop.

RegalSin

Dear god they killed the owl. Psygnosis was a great company, and if they had the balls, they would have been around longer. I think they made their mistake without making any of their ground breaking games, to the PCE, or more popular consoles, asides the Genesis. They had some really cool series.
IMGIMG

BlueBMW

Quote from: esteban on 08/25/2012, 12:44 PMHeck yes I'm gonig to try it. DOS version, here I come. :pcgs:

Thanks for the scoop.
Just played it some tonight.  Got to level 35, but made a fatal error...

If it asks you "Extra Round?" DONT press enter, unless either A: you're very good B: you're very stupid or C: You have a deathwish.

I pressed enter by accident :(

esteban

Quote from: BlueBMW on 08/25/2012, 11:19 PM
Quote from: esteban on 08/25/2012, 12:44 PMHeck yes I'm gonig to try it. DOS version, here I come. :pcgs:

Thanks for the scoop.
Just played it some tonight.  Got to level 35, but made a fatal error...

If it asks you "Extra Round?" DONT press enter, unless either A: you're very good B: you're very stupid or C: You have a deathwish.

I pressed enter by accident :(
What a cruel hand Atomino dealt you! I would love to believe that this was intentional sadism by the developer and not the result of sloppy programming/testing.

Also, just to clarify, it goes like this:

A: average difficulty
B: easy
C: extremely difficult

I was expecting the usual progression from easy --> difficult...ATOMINO DEFIES CONVENTIONS :pcgs: