OMG! ZIRIA! ZIRIA!! ZIRIA!!! IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED!! 34 YEARS LATER!! The epic/legendary Tengai Makyou/Far East of Eden: Ziria JRPG has finally been localized! Supper the Subtitler struck again! Simply unstoppable, NOTHING can prevent him from TOTAL PCECD localization domination!!!! WHACHA GONNA DO BROTHER?!?!
Main Menu

Best fast-paced / snappy Turbo music?

Started by Emerald Rocker, 09/02/2012, 12:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Emerald Rocker

Working on a project, and looking for a bit of information.

What's the best Turbo music that you can think of -- chip or CD, US game or Japanese -- that has a fast and snappy beat?  And preferably not ominous.  I'm looking for people to name specific tracks.

For example, Last Moment of the Dark from Ys is amazing, but totally not what I'm looking for.  Whereas stuff from Nexzr is fast, energetic, and optimistic.

Youtube clips that happen to include the music are totally welcome.
Official member of the PCEFX 4K Post Club

Bernie

Intro track to Lords of Thunder stands out for me.  Most likely cause it was the first game I had ever heard CD quality music to.

BigusSchmuck

First stage of Gates of Thunder? I always have liked that.
Or how about the boss music to Ys 4 the Ywenie Malmsteen sounding one?

esteban

Super-catchy and upbeat:
IMG

But this might match your request better:

Cyber Core (Title) GODDAMN, this is too short. But it is sweet. It brings tears to my jaded ears. Fast tempo and catchy. BASS DRUM!!!! TURN UP THE VOLUME ON YOUR HOME STEREO (real speakers can handle this relentless bass-percussion-drumbeat-of-death). Plug your gaming device into your home stereo, you pussies. Real speakers for the real sound, pussies. It's a cute, catchy tune, too. Done.

Cyber Core Stage 1 The urgency in this song is convincing. I love this quality in a composition. Nothing feels rushed in this song, though. It is restrained, actually, with the varied instruments and shifts (bridges?), but it always gets back to the ass-kicking chorus (where the urgency resides). (NOTE: chorus? bridge? whatever, I'm an imbecile with these musical terms).

Cyber Core Stage 8 SOARING, sweeping synth leads overlay a frenetic, ASS-KICKING tempo that could really be a disco song, if done correctly. Sure, lots of folks these days would easily re-work this with (Warning:  GENERIC IDEAS APPROACHING!) double-bass drums and screaming guitar solos, but the TRUE VISION of this chiptune is DISCO WITH AN EDGE. I'm still working on lyrics that would do this high-octane disco anthem justice. You think I'm joking but I'm 100% fucking serious. Disco with an edge.

UPDATED: I recently posted why I love these Cyber Core tracks, but I'm too lazy to find it via search. So I wrote a new blurb for each. :pcgs:
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

CPTRAVE

Gate of Thunder awesome sound, makes me want to pass the game.

Mathius

tpivette

Quote from: BigusSchmuck on 09/02/2012, 01:01 AMFirst stage of Gates of Thunder? I always have liked that.
Or how about the boss music to Ys 4 the Ywenie Malmsteen sounding one?
Malmsteen! I haven't heard that name or listened to any of his music since I was in high school... (goes into the basement to see if I still have any of his CDs)
Original owner of a TG-16 since 1989!

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
Vita - Conception 2
PS3 - Tales of Graces f
Wii U - Monster Hunter 3 Ulltimate

_Paul

One of the later level in Spriggan has a reeeealy fast tune. Track 19 I think.

fraggore

pretty much any of the tracks from lords of thunder and on hucard Kyūkyoku Tiger always loved the music on that but there so many to choose from.
I always wanted a thing called tuna sashemie

"All your base are belong to us"

Mathius

The level one theme from Tatsujin.

Emerald Rocker

Thanks for the information, guys!  Keep it coming!

And after seeing that Youtube clip of Coryoon, I think I've been missing out for all my life.

turbokon

Just to name a few

Aldynes stage 1 and 3
Super Star Soldier stage 4
Soldier Blade stage 4 & 5
Aero Blasters Stage 2
Turbo fan since 1991 after owning my first system.

Check out my website:)
www.tg16pcemods.com

VestCunt

Quote from: fraggore on 09/03/2012, 01:51 PMpretty much any of the tracks from lords of thunder...
[-X
Lords of Thunder music is shredding; Emerald Rocker is looking for snappy, i.e. Shockman!
:wink:
Topic Adjourned.

Keranu

Star Parodia fits fast, happy music more than any other game I can think of. This track especially -
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

reno5

Stage 5 from side arms hyper dyne hu card version

But I also love cyber core soundtrack

lord_cack

Is it too early to put Jungle Bros.?

Even if so, these tunes WILL be on this list at some point.... just saying :D
A dark tide will rise and she will walk again. He is coming.....

ParanoiaDragon

Quote from: lord_cack on 09/03/2012, 07:35 PMIs it too early to put Jungle Bros.?

Even if so, these tunes WILL be on this list at some point.... just saying :D
Hmmm, fast paced....none I can think of off the top of my head, though, the snappy description might apply.
IMG

esteban

I'll have more for you tonight/tomorrow. I'm on my phone now, but when I have my laptop I'll upload a few tracks I was listening to.  :pcgs:

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: Emerald Rocker on 09/02/2012, 12:17 AMWorking on a project, and looking for a bit of information.

What's the best Turbo music that you can think of -- chip or CD, US game or Japanese -- that has a fast and snappy beat?  And preferably not ominous.  I'm looking for people to name specific tracks.

For example, Last Moment of the Dark from Ys is amazing, but totally not what I'm looking for.  Whereas stuff from Nexzr is fast, energetic, and optimistic.

Youtube clips that happen to include the music are totally welcome.
Insanity!

Especially if you use the soundtrack versions that have better chiptune drums.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

reno5

esteban

roflmao

LostFlunky

The "beach" level tune on Dragon's Curse is pretty snappy.. Actually I sometimes play Dragon's Curse just for the music...

NecroPhile

Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Arkhan Asylum

This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

JoshTurboTrollX

Level 1 from Bloody Wolf.  I always dug the fast/snappy tunes from this game.  It gets you in the "I'm about to blow every son of a bitch to little pieces" kind of mood.  :D
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion/blackmail!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

ParanoiaDragon

The Bloody Wolf soundtrack is awesome.  Probably my favorite is for level 4:
Other snappy favorites of mine:
Level 6
Final Boss
Level 2
Level 3
IMG

Damon Plus

Quote from: Lost Monkey on 09/06/2012, 12:01 PMThe "beach" level tune on Dragon's Curse is pretty snappy.. Actually I sometimes play Dragon's Curse just for the music...
WB3... erh, Dragon's Curse music is amazing from beginning to end, but Side-Crawler's Dance (the beach song) is addictive. I could listen to it all day.

Gogan

Ostrich Theater in Splash Lake. I don't think I've ever heard anything anywhere that snappy.
Nothin beats the real thing.

NecroPhile

I love galactic dancing from Galaga '90 (not the old, inferior '88).
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Mathius

Quote from: guest on 09/07/2012, 03:42 PMI love galactic dancing from Galaga '90 (not the old, inferior '88).
Yeah, but Galaga '88 was more arcade-like.

geise

Here's some of my favorite tunes that might work for you:

Override (level 3):
Gate of Thunder (level 6):
Devil's Crush (Main Stage Theme):
Ys Book I & II - Ruins of Moondoria:
City Hunter - Groovy Track:
Soldir Blade - Operation 6:
I would also add the last level of Spriggan, but I can't find that level music.

Arjak

Area 9 of Blazing Lazers/Gunhed always gets me excited. It's such a perfect final level song!
He who dings the Gunhed must PAAAAY!!! -Ninja Spirit

PCEngineHell

I always liked most of the music to Aero Blasters. The soundtrack was just really well done on that one.

Emerald Rocker

Does anyone have a good link to where I can listen to that "Ostrich Theater" song from Splash Lake?  I don't own that one, so I couldn't check it out.

Meanwhile, thanks for the input.  Lots of cool music to listen to, here.  I'm generally a snobby CD elitist, so I'm especially digging the Card/Chip recommendations, since I've hardly played any of those games.

Gogan

Quote from: Emerald Rocker on 09/08/2012, 12:14 AMDoes anyone have a good link to where I can listen to that "Ostrich Theater" song from Splash Lake?  I don't own that one, so I couldn't check it out.

Meanwhile, thanks for the input.  Lots of cool music to listen to, here.  I'm generally a snobby CD elitist, so I'm especially digging the Card/Chip recommendations, since I've hardly played any of those games.
I couldn't find one either, else I woulda posted it as well. It's not long, but damn it's good

turboswimbz

Found It? this video starts with it, I believe.
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)
BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere. You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

esteban

SHAME ON YOU.

[Title Screen, Valis II] Invigorating. Urgent. Ass-kicking. Cranium-crushing. INSPIRING YOU TO FIGHT THE KOSMOS.

[Short, sweet, catchy and uplifting. Valis II] In the past, I complained that this song doesn't have enough of a somber side. It is saved by the slightest dash of melancholy (elevating it above the generic muck of saccharine pop songs).

[Second part of Megas Battle. Valis II] SHORT and SWEET. After you beat the first form of Megas, the standard boss tune goes into Adrenaline Overdrive. I guess this is a reprise of the title screen music? Anyway, it's great.

[Stage 1. Valis II] At the very least, wait until ~0:50 for the catchy melody to kick in. I like that there is a bittersweet undercurrent throughout the entire song. This was always my favorite track (when I first got the game), but I listened to it too many times. SO CATCHY.

[Bolts of electricity stage. Valis II] SPIKY. ODD, ECCENTRIC TRACK. And, it is catchy. Some may think it is goofy, but it's a nice break from the other tracks. XYLOPHONE.

[???. Valis II] I only remember the slow-jazz music (not listed here) during the ending credits scroll. However, there is no other place for this music in the game, so maybe this was also used in the ending credits (after the slow-jazz)? Otherwise, it's not used in the game. IT'S TOO HAPPY AND CATCHY for a Valis game, IMHO. I kinda hate that it is so happy, with no edge.

NOTE: As always, these songs are best appreciated by plugging your electronic device into a home stereo. Demand a Wall of Sound from your TurboGrafx-16. Don't be a pussyfooter.

Gogan

Quote from: turboswimbz on 09/08/2012, 04:13 PM
Found It? this video starts with it, I believe.
Yep. That's it. Short n snappy!