Getting into TG16

Started by T.A.P., 09/07/2012, 02:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

T.A.P.

Hi guys. I just joined this forum after having several members recomend it as the best place to read and talk about TurboGrafX stuff.

Outside of buying one guy's collection a few years ago I'm basically new to TG16. I'd wanted one since the late 90's when I first learned Working Designs had released games for it. Over the years I managed to pick up a couple of them, but Vasteel (the one I wanted to play the most) and Exile 2 have and continue to elude me.

I like what little I have for the system, but I'm tired of playing the same few games. I never see any games for sale locally and practically never on the other forums I frequent (when I do, they're already sold by the time I PM the guy), so it's been hard to find much. Until recently I'd turned my attention to other systems, but now I'm in the mood to play with my Turbo Duo, and I'm looking for some new (to me) stuff to play.

What are the good games for the system? What are the bad ones? What are the absurdly expensive ones that I can never hope to own?

Firebomber7

Well, this is the right place to be for sure! What games do you have now? I guess the easiest way to recommend games is to send you here: http://www.pcengine.co.uk/. It's run by one of the forum members here. He's done a brilliant job rating games, giving mini-reviews of a ton of them and has linked to Youtube videos showing some gameplay and music from the majority of them.

Magical Chase is the quickest game I can think of it "too expensive to own for most people" category. If you do want it, the Japanese PC Engine version is much cheaper. Still not cheap, but it's at least doable. Bonk 3 and Soldier Blade are a couple other games that comes to mind where the US one is stupidly expensive, but the Japanese versions are affordable. Sapphire is one that is quite expensive, but if you hang around here you just might find a factory pressed bootleg version. ;) I guess what I'm saying is that you should get a PC Engine, if you don't have one already. A TON of games that were released in Japan never made it to the TG-16/Duo. If sounds like you might already have access to CD games, so that's good.
IMG
IMG
IMG
Wants:
-region/s-video modded PC Engine Duo w/Arcade Card at www. multimods .com
-region modded Super Grafx
-region modded PC Engine original
-PC-FX w/Zenki, Zeroigar, Chip-Chan, Battle Heat, Der Langrisser FX

Will this complete me?

T.A.P.

I've got a decent mish-mash of stuff. Most of it is packed away in my dad's basement, but I remember a couple of my favorites like Lords of Thunder and that one pinball game. I had some of the Bonk games, but I never played them much. There were a couple of Japanese games too, but they were RPGs or something and I couldn't really do anything in them.

Honestly, I'm down for trying pretty much anything so any suggestions would be welcome.

sheath

Awesome, love it when another gamer starts looking into the Turbo.  I take it from your post that you have the Turbo CD or a Turbo DUO.  Based on forum member comments here and elsewhere, most of US library is worth looking into for gameplay related reasons.  

What kind of games do you like?

T.A.P.

I like pretty much everything other than sports titles (nothing's gonna top Super Baseball Simulator 1000 and Tecmo Bowl).

I've got a Turbo Duo, so that means I should be able to play any US release, right (at least that's what I've been told)?

Arkhan Asylum

China Warrior.

If you don't get it, I will find you and jump kick your face.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Sadler

Quote from: T.A.P. on 09/07/2012, 10:20 AMI like pretty much everything other than sports titles (nothing's gonna top Super Baseball Simulator 1000 and Tecmo Bowl).

I've got a Turbo Duo, so that means I should be able to play any US release, right (at least that's what I've been told)?
Yeah, that's right. You can also play PCE CD and SuperCD games! As far as which games to play, you might want to check out this thread.

turboswimbz

Looking at your wants from your other post, and given the current market, your not going to find those titles easily, each goes for $50-$150 right now, (in the world of e-bay and resellers any more) if the members here have any they might cut you more of deal. (i've been in the mareket for them too)

Your Turbo Duo will play all the american releases as well as the Japaneese CD's as they were not region protected however, some may not work, there are few exceptions. (like games that require an arcade card)

My suggestions, There is a ton of cool games that don't get much attention for the TG-16, or are reasonably priced and easy to get your hands on.  Try some of these:

Fighting Street
Final Lap Twin
Blazing Lazers
Sidearms
Legendary Axe
Aero Blasters
Ninja Spirit
Pac Land
Splash Lake
And so many more,

Also try these videos for Great Game Reviews

www.turboviews.com  also all on youtube under turboviews.  

Oh and welcome.  

as and edit: seriously listen to everyone like vestcunt, arkhan, firbomber, HercTNT, 420goat. sorry if i left anyone out who's been here a while and really helped me out.  I've learned a lot about the TG and PCE stuff just from thier posts, you can also get a lot of info by asking too.
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)
BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere. You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

bartre

it is absolutely necessary to import Dracula X.

additionally, give Bloody wolf and last alert a try, two games kind of like mercs or ikari warriors, great fun.

VestCunt

Quote from: T.A.P. on 09/07/2012, 02:31 AMHi guys. I just joined this forum after having several members recomend it as the best place to read and talk about TurboGrafX stuff.

Outside of buying one guy's collection a few years ago I'm basically new to TG16. I'd wanted one since the late 90's when I first learned Working Designs had released games for it. Over the years I managed to pick up a couple of them, but Vasteel (the one I wanted to play the most) and Exile 2 have and continue to elude me.

I like what little I have for the system, but I'm tired of playing the same few games. I never see any games for sale locally and practically never on the other forums I frequent (when I do, they're already sold by the time I PM the guy), so it's been hard to find much. Until recently I'd turned my attention to other systems, but now I'm in the mood to play with my Turbo Duo, and I'm looking for some new (to me) stuff to play.

What are the good games for the system? What are the bad ones? What are the absurdly expensive ones that I can never hope to own?
Welcome TAP. Turbo games are hard to find in the wild because the system wasn't very popular. Ebay prices generally suck, but that doesn't mean you can't find reasonable deals if you're patient.

If you browse back a few pages, you'll see plenty of discussion about good and bad games. Searches will reveal threads on the best two-player games, the best shooters, the best two-player shooters, the best brawlers, the best RPGs, sports games, PCE worth importing, etc.

Best games:
https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=12498.0
Worst games:
https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=10306.0
One recent discussion about expensive games:
https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=12475.0
Topic Adjourned.

HercTNT

Welcome T.A.P.

Please allow Arkhan to kick you in the face and get it on video to have it posted here. However, only if he agrees to give you three turbo games of your choice :)  Seriously though, Welcome aboard. Don't forget to check out the mod section if you have any trouble with your turbo equipment. One of our techs can fix you up in a jiffy.

RegalSin

QuoteWhat are the good games for the system? What are the bad ones? What are the absurdly expensive ones that I can never hope to own?
I would start with what I know, and then read up on what you do not know. Most of the earlier titles are NES, and "Computer" ports. Giving many people the best absolute console version. Take Addams Family for example, nobody knows how long or cool the game is really unless they actually watched the series. It is best to play before you, pay. Unless you want to end up with Tailspin or Duckwing duck, sounding like a bad Gameboy port, or worst then a gameboy port. If you can't play then preview the game on video, or the images, to see what you are getting. Many people write reviews.
IMGIMG

420GOAT

Quote from: guest on 09/07/2012, 10:30 AMChina Warrior.

If you don't get it, I will find you and jump kick your face.
hiiii--yayaya!!!
I want to be more like 337.

The Wolf: If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the fucking car.

PCEngineHell

Good starter hucards that have always been in a reasonable price range have been Splatterhouse, Bonks Revenge, Alien Crush, Legendary Axe, Bloody Wolf, Side Arms, Blazing Lasers, and R-type.

Sadler

Quote from: T.A.P. on 09/07/2012, 02:31 AMWhat are the absurdly expensive ones that I can never hope to own?
I can't say what you'll eventually own, but the following games either aren't easy to find and/or are quite expensive:

Beyond Shadowgate
Bonk 3
Bonk 3 CD
Cotton
Dynastic Hero
Legend Of Hero Tonma
Magical Chase
Might And Magic 3
Soldier Blade
Super Air Zonk
Terraforming

T.A.P.

Darn. I was kind of interested in Beyond Shadowgate. :(

How expensive is Dynastic Hero? Is it worth getting that one over the Genesis version?

Firebomber7

Do you have the Gate of Thunder disc (with Bonk, Bonk's Revenge and the hidden Bomberman)? If not, definite get Gate of Thunder. You can usually get the Japanese version cheaper.

Also, if you don't have them, here are some CD games you should get that are either Japan-only, or cheaper on the PC Engine CD than Turboduo:
Lords of Thunder (JP version is Winds of Thunder)
Dracula X: Chi no Rondo (Rondo of Blood)
Spriggan
Ai Cho Aniki
Star Parodier
Shubibinman 3 (the sequel to Shockman)
CD Denjin (aka. Super Air Zonk)
Pomping World (aka. Buster Bros. or Pang) *it's super cheap and fun!*
IMG
IMG
IMG
Wants:
-region/s-video modded PC Engine Duo w/Arcade Card at www. multimods .com
-region modded Super Grafx
-region modded PC Engine original
-PC-FX w/Zenki, Zeroigar, Chip-Chan, Battle Heat, Der Langrisser FX

Will this complete me?

TR0N

Quote from: T.A.P. on 09/08/2012, 01:20 AMHow expensive is Dynastic Hero? Is it worth getting that one over the Genesis version?
The most advantage that dynastic hero has over wounderboy in monster world is the music that's all.Also the u.s version can be very expensive,but the jpn version can be had for very cheap prices.
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

TheClash603

Was anyone else expecting this thread to be about a contortionist fitting inside a TG16?

...anyway, I see Cadash has not been mentioned.  Usually when I show people the TG16, that ends up being a favorite of theirs.  Great game if you have someone to play with.  A cheapo CD puzzler I really enjoy is Splash Lake, I have full cleared that bad boy several times.

Dynastic Hero sells only a few times a year, so it is hard to set a price.  However, coincidentally one just ended yesterday at $500, after having a starting price around $200.

T.A.P.

Man Turbo prices are discouraging. It's worse than Neo Geo prices. :(

turboswimbz

Hang in there. You'll find deals, it's about being patient
BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere. You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

thesteve

also your system can be modded to play all the PCE cards as well.
there are several methods for the mod, each with its points.
DIY instructions, kits and mod services can be found in the sales thread and repair/mod thread

Sadler

Quote from: T.A.P. on 09/08/2012, 09:28 AMMan Turbo prices are discouraging. It's worse than Neo Geo prices. :(
I'm not familiar with Neo Geo prices, but the reality is the vast majority of the TG's library can be had for cheap. There's maybe 10 games or so that really get expensive. There are lots of great games you can get for under $20. See the thread myself and vestcunt linked to earlier—most of the top titles aren't that expensive. Wanting boxed games does tend to up the price quite a bit though. The pricier Hucard games I have were mostly bought loose. I commandeered cheaper game cases and used Sparky's stickers and inserts for those. Looks great and you won't be dropping $300 for Soldier Blade or Legend of Hero Tonma. :)

Of course, as others have said, getting PCE games is almost always vastly cheaper. Unless you have a serious attachment to the US games (which I fully understand :D ), I'd seriously look at getting the Japanese versions. That's what I've done for Terraforming and Super Air Zonk. And, of course, a flashcard for Magical Chase.

EDIT: I guess I should mention that for Beyond Shadowgate and Bonk 3 CD you are sort of screwed. Those titles (and a few others that don't usually go for that much) were only released in the US.

T.A.P.

I like being able to read the text in games, which is why I try to buy US when I can.

I'm reluctant to spend money on something I'm not completely satisfied with when the poor-man's option of flash carts and the even poorer-man's option of emulation are readily available (which it looks like I'll have to rely heavily upon. :().

Bloody Wolf

Just getting back into it myself! I know Bomberman 93 was sick!!!! Haha

turboswimbz

Quote from: T.A.P. on 09/08/2012, 08:46 PMI like being able to read the text in games, which is why I try to buy US when I can.

I'm reluctant to spend money on something I'm not completely satisfied with when the poor-man's option of flash carts and the even poorer-man's option of emulation are readily available (which it looks like I'll have to rely heavily upon. :().
Maybe for some of them you will, But MUCH of the library is reasonable.  And deals are out there.  I just scooped up YS III for $36.   Many members here have also had great sucess with garage sales, flea markets, thrift stores and craigslist.

T.A.P.

Quote from: turboswimbz on 09/08/2012, 09:25 PM
Quote from: T.A.P. on 09/08/2012, 08:46 PMI like being able to read the text in games, which is why I try to buy US when I can.

Maybe for some of them you will, But MUCH of the library is reasonable.  And deals are out there.  I just scooped up YS III for $36.   Many members here have also had great sucess with garage sales, flea markets, thrift stores and craigslist.
In the 20+ years I've collected games, I have seen TG16 stuff for sale in person twice. One was some crappy sports titles, the other time the store wasn't even selling them, they were immediately putting them on eBay. Southeast MI is a barren place for Turbo stuff.

VestCunt

You have nothing to worry about. There are only a handful of games where the combination of high price and English text combine to screw the potential gamer: Might and Magic III, Dynastic Hero, and Dungeon Explorer 2. Beyond Shadow is a U.S. exclusive, as already mentioned, and Exile 2 and Vasteel also seem to be getting too expensive. Otherwise, you're fine.

Dynastic Hero and DEII are pretty light on the text and it's worth picking up the PCE versions for $10-20 each.

The import versions of Bonk 3, Bomberman 93, Hero Tomna, Cotton, Terraforming, Godzilla are all completely playable and affordable. They generally go for $50 or less. No one has any business looking for U.S. versions of these games in 2012. And Super Air Zonk is a terrible game.
Topic Adjourned.

tpivette

Quote from: turboswimbz on 09/08/2012, 09:25 PM

Maybe for some of them you will, But MUCH of the library is reasonable.  And deals are out there.  I just scooped up YS III for $36.   Many members here have also had great sucess with garage sales, flea markets, thrift stores and craigslist.
Bastard! Where'd you score this game for such a good price? I can only find it for $50 or more shipped!
Original owner of a TG-16 since 1989!

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
Vita - Conception 2
PS3 - Tales of Graces f
Wii U - Monster Hunter 3 Ulltimate

turboswimbz

The ebay, it was under Y's III wanders, no tg-16 tag.  I bid 36 as a top bid with 5 days left. And scored it today at 36 exactly. Talk about luck. 
  I've been pretty lucky so far.  Hope this luck doesn't run out. To be safe with my turbo karma maybe I should run a few more raffles. Lol.

tpivette

Quote from: turboswimbz on 09/08/2012, 11:25 PMThe ebay, it was under Ys III wanders, no tg-16 tag.  I bid 36 as a top bid with 5 days left. And scored it today at 36 exactly. Talk about luck. 
  I've been pretty lucky so far.  Hope this luck doesn't run out. To be safe with my turbo karma maybe I should run a few more raffles. Lol.
Well, if you ever find another one for cheap, let me know!

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
Vita - Conception 2
PS3 - Tales of Graces f

T.A.P.

Great, so the three games I actually really want (Exile 2, Vasteel, and Ys 3) are all outside of my price range. :(

Heck, the reason I got interested in TG16 stuff in the first place was because I found out back in the late 90's that Working Designs released some games for it.

TR0N

Quote from: T.A.P. on 09/09/2012, 12:41 AMGreat, so the three games I actually really want (Exile 2, Vasteel, and Ys 3) are all outside of my price range. :(

Heck, the reason I got interested in TG16 stuff in the first place was because I found out back in the late 90's that Working Designs released some games for it.
Yeah prices for those games you mention are out of controll.Still,as most mention pc-engine version of those games can be had fairly cheap.Just keep checking the selling section here 'since most sell TG16 games here at the right price unlike ebay.About the only suggestion i can give is start with a duo-r or rx since there the most reliable setup.

By the ways as for (exile 2) you're not missing much on the u.s. version.The difficulty for it is broken because wd had telenet change it's code which made it hard to complete.
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

8bitForLife

if you can get a system card for the cdrom i would diffidently get Dracula x
Turbo Duo Rx Turbo Grafx 16, Atari 2600 5200 7800 Jaguar + CD Starpath Supercharger, Gba DS DSI 3Ds Nes Snes N64 VB GC Wii, Xbox Xbox 360, Ps1 Ps2 Ps3 Psp Fat Psp slim, GenesisV3 CDX Nomad Saturn Dreamcast JP USA, NGPC

http://www.pcedaisakusen.net/2/34/530/show-collection.htm

T.A.P.

What are some of the good US CD and Super CD games that wont cost me $50+?

Besides the pack-ins that originally came with the Duo, all I have are Cosmic Fantasy 2, Exile, and Lords of Thunder.

tpivette

Valis 2 and 3 zre good and should be had for under $30

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
Vita - Conception 2
PS3 - Tales of Graces f

VestCunt

Quote from: T.A.P. on 09/09/2012, 12:41 AMGreat, so the three games I actually really want (Exile 2, Vasteel, and Ys 3) are all outside of my price range. :(

I understand your price frustrations - we're all frustrated - but I don't understand your surprise or "woe is me!" attitude. Are you phishing for pity sales? It's hard to believe you haven't searched for these games on ebay before or read the dubious "rare and valuable" guide on Racketboy. It's 2012 and everyone knows retro prices are outrageous. It's a terrible time to dive into good underdog consoles. That's why I don't play Sega CD or Saturn - they look awesome and I'd love to have the Working Designs games, but I know I missed the boat and I don't feel like spending thousands of dollars. If you're on a budget, go check out 3DO, 32X, or Master System. None of this should come as a surprise to you.

On the bright side, this isn't an entirely bad time to discover the Turbo scene:
1) many PCE games continue to fall in price. Games like Dracula X and Rainbow Islands sell for half of what they once did.
2) the most advanced homebrew just came out.
3) forum raffles and freebies are out of control.
4) there's never been a better time to repair your console or buy aftermarket goods (hucard sleeves, power supplies, inserts, manuals, etc.)
5) over one-third of the U.S. library is available on the Virtual Console.
6) flash cards are better than ever.

Going back to your want list, there are four copies of Ys III immediately available on mainstream websites for $45-56. Wait for an auction or forum sale and you'll find it even cheaper. The going rate for Exile 2 is unfortunate, but, like Tron said, the difficulty is messed up. Take comfort in the fact that the first one is the better game and buy the PCE version of the sequel which literally only costs $10. WD's Vasteel was a $30-50 game for YEARS and is a very recent addition to the $100+ club. Be patient and you might yet find a reasonable price.

Quote from: T.A.P. on 09/09/2012, 01:29 PMWhat are some of the good US CD and Super CD games that wont cost me $50+?
The good news is that we've already mentioned every $100+ CD and SCD in this thread. I'm pretty sure any CD we haven't mentioned can be found for <$50.
Topic Adjourned.

T.A.P.

I'm an incredibly insulted that you think I am phishing for pity sales.

I don't read Racketboy (never heard of them), nor do I spend all my free time searching for video games and tracking price fluctuations in the market. Up until recently, I never bothered with eBay. I buy 90% of my video game stuff locally, where most things I want can still be had for $20 and under. The rest I buy off of forums for not much more.

I bought my Turbo stuff 4-5 years ago off of a guy on one of the other forums I go to (for prices that were in line with every thing else at the time). Since then I'd been occupied with other systems (namely all of the ones you listed) as well as other interests. This is the first time in years I've put any real effort towards looking at the TG16 stuff, so yes, frankly I am shocked and disapointed by how shitty the pricing is for this system (just like I am for SNES stuff).

VestCunt

Quote from: T.A.P. on 09/09/2012, 04:11 PMI'm an incredibly insulted that you think I am phishing for pity sales.
Up until recently, I never bothered with eBay.
In that case, you truly are a rare breed. Welcome to the forums. I hope my information was useful at least.
Topic Adjourned.

esteban

Welcome T.A.P.

You will find peace & harmony here.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

TheClash603

Quote from: esteban on 09/09/2012, 10:12 PMWelcome T.A.P.

You will find peace & harmony here.
and insults.  But that is good, because what doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

It is really funny, I almost posted the "woe is me" comment, but vestcunt beat me to it.

Drakon

Well with flash carts and cd burning you can always illegally play a game until you save up enough funds to feel like buying it.  I don't mind spending the money on these games but I like to spread it out, makes it more fun that way.  If you want disappointment you should get into collecting arcade pcbs.  It's next to impossible to find most pcbs for sale and if you're lucky enough to find them up for sale they'll cost a small fortune.  And they'll be sold by some random person with zero history who could be making it up for all we know.
https://16bitgamer.canadian-forum.com/

NightWolve: "I'd say ole XGay fears another relapse, hence the need for strong, daily hetero reinforcement on his desktop. ;)"
Jibbajaba: "The problem with trying to flame Regal is that it's like trying to gut-punch a really fat person."

Arkhan Asylum

Most of the good games can be had cheaper on the PCE and are arcade games so the text doesn't mean two shits.    What do you need to read in a game like R-Type!? :)

You should consider region modding your TG-16 and getting the CD stuff, or just go for a duo-r.

At the very least with the region mod, you can buy a way-cheaper System Card 3.0 that will work on your US hardware.   The US card is stupid expensive.

You can also burn games to play on real hardware if you aren't sure how you feel about them.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

T.A.P.

Quote from: Drakon on 09/10/2012, 10:01 AMWell with flash carts and cd burning you can always illegally play a game until you save up enough funds to feel like buying it.  I don't mind spending the money on these games but I like to spread it out, makes it more fun that way.  If you want disappointment you should get into collecting arcade pcbs.  It's next to impossible to find most pcbs for sale and if you're lucky enough to find them up for sale they'll cost a small fortune.  And they'll be sold by some random person with zero history who could be making it up for all we know.
I got out of PCBs about a year back due to the absurd amount of space, money, and effort involved in keeping them working.