@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

Turbo Duo-R not powering on ???

Started by Nec.Game.head, 11/22/2012, 04:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nec.Game.head

Hey everyone .. So yesterday I received my very first Turbo Duo-R .. I tested it out with some Hu card games and a few Cd games, it all seemed to work fine .. I opened it because I heard a rattling sound from the inside of the Duo-R .. It was a small plastic pin that had broke off from the cd laser assembly .. I screwed it back up together and it worked fine .. I then went to power it on again after a hour or so of not using it .. Their was no power on the unit .. No light turning on or anything .. It came with a Sega ac adapter model sa-190 rated input ac100v 50/60hz 18va and output rated at dc10v 850ma .. I also then noticed the ac adapter was pretty hot and smelled funny, so I disconnected it .. Let it cool down completely and tested it out on a different outlet .. And nothing no power at all .. My girlfriend mentioned to me that the power outlet I had plugged into had been acting screwy the past few days, at times not feeding power to our Tg16 .. Is it possible that my ac adapter got damage ?? I tried that power supply on a sega game gear that requires 9 volts and it powered that right up ?? Any help or suggestions on what may be the possible problem ???
Finally playing these games I couldn't get my hands on back in 91' !!! Nec fan always !!!

Bernie

First off, you need to check that outlet.  The console issue can wait.  If you arent sure how to do it safely, have someone that can.  Last thing you want is an electrical fire that could cause loss or death.

Nec.Game.head

Thank you for the concerned issue on a totally dangerous situation ..  I actually turned the breaker off for that area in my apt and disconnected the power outlet and capped it off with some electrical caps .. Gonna go to Home Depot and buy a new power outlet .. I'm still super concerned/ very disappointed  :( that my Duo-R I spent the past 8 months plus trying to acquire for a reasonable price after a few hours of owning isn't working .. I even got lucky and was able to purchase it from a very trusted person from this awesome forum .. I'm just trying to get some suggestions/help on what might be wrong with my Duo-R .. I'm just hoping nothing on my Duo's pcb didn't get damaged from that faulty outlet ..
Finally playing these games I couldn't get my hands on back in 91' !!! Nec fan always !!!

turbokon

Try another outlet, with volt meter, check if you getting voltage from the ac plug.
Turbo fan since 1991 after owning my first system.

Check out my website:)
www.tg16pcemods.com

Keith Courage

If the problem turns out to be the DUO -R itself then most likely the fuse blew or one of the 7805 voltage regulators went bad.

Nec.Game.head

Right on guys thanks for the suggestions .. I opened it up and checked the fuse and it's fine .. Gonna try testing the ac adapter on a different outlet with a voltage meter, and hopefully it's not those 7805 voltage regulators ..lol what do those 7805 voltage regulators look like ??? I already ordered a new ac adapter from retrogamecave.com just in case it was fried by the faulty outlet ...

Thank you guys for the help  :dance: !!!

BlueBMW

I've seen a few Duo R power supplies go bad, so I'd say its not out of the question that the adapter failed.
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

Todd Gill

Nec.Game.head

Thank you for the pic .. It came with a Sega ac adapter model sa-190 rated input ac100v 50/60hz 18va and output rated at dc10v 850ma .. I tested it out with my Game gear and it seem to work fine with it, maybe because it requires only 9volts to power it on .. Ahh man, I really hope it's that old ass Sega ac adapter that just crapped out on me because of that bad power outlet in my apt which I already fixed today  [-o&lt;

BlueBMW

I wouldnt lose sleep over the problem.  If it ends up being something deeper, one of the tech guys here will get it sorted out no problem.
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

Nec.Game.head

Thanks BlueBMW .. I have been super bummed since last night, but now I actually feel a bit better .. It took me a really long time to find one for cheap .. I would almost be ready to hit the buy it now button when I would see them on ebay for $275/350 all the time .. I'm glad I didn't resort to paying top dollar just to own one .. And I'm really glad I came across this amazing site and all you awesome people that are here to share ideas, and help each other out in order to achieve Pce bliss !!! Hope you guy's all had a wonderful Thanksgiving  :D

Nec.Game.head

So I went out to Radio Shack and bought a Enercell rated Input 100-240VAC 50/60Hz 0.5A Output 9vdc 1.5A power adapter .. It's the new replacement for the old Radio Shack model 273-1771 .. Anyways I also bought the Adaptplug Tip c" and made sure it was set to positive tip polarity .. I tested it out and still nothing, the Duo-R did not power on  :-k .. The next thing I'm doing is ordering 2 7805 voltage regulators .. I had a hard time finding then until I realized their screwed onto the heat sinks .. Do I need to replace both ?? I'm ordering them today .. I'm also still waiting on my power adapter from Retrogamecave .. Gonna test it out with that one first before I start extracting the 7805 voltage regulators .. Gonna go return the Enercell power adapter, I just bought it to test it out today .. Is their any other thing I need to test out on my Duo-R for diagnosing my broken beauty ???

Thanks for the help fellas !!!

Todd Gill

Radio Shack typically sells the 7805's in store...just in case you wanted them faster.

However, if you have a multimeter, I would advise testing them first to see if they are the problem before you go through the trouble of replacing them.

Would take but a few seconds to determine if they are outputting 5volts like they should.

Save you a hell of a lot of hassle if they are working fine.

Nec.Game.head

Cool man thanks .. Will test them out with a multi meter first .. Are all +5 volt 7805 regulators the same ?? Or are their different ratings on them ?? Having fun learning about working on these consoles one day at a time ... This noob is giving it his best !!!

turbokon

Don't forget to check out the fuse before doing anything else like Keithcourage pointed out earlier.
Turbo fan since 1991 after owning my first system.

Check out my website:)
www.tg16pcemods.com

Todd Gill

Quote from: Nec.Game.head on 11/23/2012, 08:44 PMCool man thanks .. Will test them out with a multi meter first .. Are all +5 volt 7805 regulators the same ?? Or are their different ratings on them ?? Having fun learning about working on these consoles one day at a time ... This noob is giving it his best !!!

More or less. At least in the context of what you would replace the ones in the duo with.

7805 takes an input voltage of from between 7 volts up to, maybe, 30 some old volts (or higher) and outputs 5 volts with max amperage of 1 or 1.5 amps. Allows flexibility of input voltage to get a steady 5 volts out.

Anyways, I would test the built in 7805's first (after double checking the fuse). Basically when its powered on, the output pin should read approx. 5 volts. If its substantially less (or no voltage) then the 7805 is most likely toast and needs replaced. Check the input voltage as well.

thesteve

the 7805 is a 78 series 05V regulator, they are all the same

Nec.Game.head

Hey everyone .. So I went ahead and tested both of my power adapters with a multi meter I borrowed .. These are the results in my voltage testing .. At this point I'm really confused and can't quite figure out what else I should test ??? So far I have checked the glass fuse, ac input jack on Duo-R, 2 different ac adapters, and both 7805 +5 voltage regulators .. Everything to me seems to be fine, and yet I am getting no power on light or anything on my beloved Duo-r ??? 

Sega ac adapter model Sa-190
Input Ac100V 50/60Hz 18VA
Output Dc10V 850MA
MULTI METER READINGS ...
9volt Duo-R input jack .. 12.85 volts
7805 voltage regulator closest to the input jack .. 12.82 volts and 4.71 volts
The second 7805 voltage regulator reads the same as the first one ..

Radio Shack ac adapter model 273-356
9volt Dc 1500mA
MULTI METER READINGS ...
9volt Duo-R input jack .. 8.52 volts
7805 voltage regulator closest to the input jack .. 8.45 volts and 4.71 volts
The second 7805 voltage regulator reads the same as the first one ..

I TRULY NEED SOME MORE ADVICE ON WHAT TO TRY NEXT :cry: !!!

thesteve

for starters, no power light (it doesnt have one)
try putting a disc in and pressing run

Nec.Game.head

Hey thestsve .. I just tested it out and I got no image, no spinning disc or red light on .. I also tried a few different Hu cards and also got no results ... I tried that with both ac adapters and on a few different power outlets in my apt ](*,) ...

Thanks for the reply ....

thesteve

ok, so it sounds like its not booting, and you have a picture problem.
no response from tv, not even a white screen.

the 5V means its powering on

Nec.Game.head

Cool thanks thesteve for explaining that to me, I understand what you mean now .. This is all new stuff to me, but I really enjoy learning from what you guys are teaching me here .. Is their anything else you guys suppose I can try/test out ??? Lol I'm a determined NOOB that's willing to give it my best !!!

Todd Gill

Had this duo been recapped?

If not, I'm wondering if a leaking cap has ate away at some traces causing this?

thesteve

when replacing the cap by the power switch, its easy to brake the video trace.
any region or cap work, can cause a no boot condition.

Nec.Game.head

Great news !!! I got it working again .. I received my ac adapter from retrogamecave today .. I wiggled around the 3 cd rom plugs that are hook up to the motherboard, then assembled my Duo-r .. I put a cd in and turned it on with the new ac adapter plugged in and pressed start .. The light went on and I got no video .. I powered it off .. So I took off the lid on my Duo-r and inserted a Hu card, powered it back on and applied pressure down onto the av port and I got my video signal back on .. I powered it off and I took the whole system apart and added new solder to the bottom of the av port .. And that was it, my Duo-r was up and running like a champ again :dance: !!!

Thank you all for the help .. I would have not known how to go about repairing my Duo-R without you guys !!!