Skateboarders Can Also Be Retro Game Nerds ...

Started by Nec.Game.head, 01/07/2013, 12:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nec.Game.head

Raffle sounds perfect.. Count me in !!!
Finally playing these games I couldn't get my hands on back in 91' !!! Nec fan always !!!

Tatsujin

that's rad to hear. now I need me one of these hill decks :D
apparently it seems that his page is down atm: www.hillskateboards.com
I've always thought he was into sk8eboarding all the time. watched some vids here and there on YT as he became a real grown up. but he just looked the very best in ban this.. such a cool hair style..lol.

I also liked lil kid guy mariano. seems he's also back on truck again and founded some shit together..hehe.

btw. nice pic of you :)
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

bob

Quote from: Tatsujin on 01/10/2013, 07:14 PMthat's rad to hear. now I need me one of these hill decks :D
apparently it seems that his page is down atm: www.hillskateboards.com
I've always thought he was into sk8eboarding all the time. watched some vids here and there on YT as he became a real grown up. but he just looked the very best in ban this.. such a cool hair style..lol.

I also liked lil kid guy mariano. seems he's also back on truck again and founded some shit together..hehe.

btw. nice pic of you :)
Guy Mariano is my all time hero.

soop

I've been watching Mullen vids. what a legend.

Flatmate actually picked up his stuff, but even so, shipping that thing from the UK would have cost about £50.  Had thunder trucks and.. can't remember the wheels, but they were big and rubbery.
Quote from: esteban on 04/26/2018, 04:44 PMSHUTTLECOCK OR SHUFFLE OFF!

Nec.Game.head

@ galam .. You gotta watch Mariano's part on the new Girl and Chocolate video called Pretty Sweet !! His part on the Mouse video to date is still pretty epic .. Actually every freaken part that he has ever released is banging !! That dude has not slowed down at all over the years .. Vice.com has a really good Epicly later'd episode on his life and career in sk8boarding .. Gotta peep that one out also .. This is on of my favorite Guy Mariano Blind decks from back in the day ..

/blindguymarianodeck.jpg
Finally playing these games I couldn't get my hands on back in 91' !!! Nec fan always !!!

Sadler

Quote from: Tatsujin on 01/09/2013, 10:21 PMdo you guys have any pictures from the old sk8ing times?

I have had only about two or three from the late 80s, but coulnd't find any of them so far :(

@NGH, yeah frankie hill (literally) rocked big times in ban this (and the soundtrack was so awesome too). even uploaded his part somewhere on youtube once.
also always was a fan of lance mountain. very oldskoolish guy. not the best, but instead probably the funniest sk8er of all time :lol:

I really would like to do some skateboarding again, but now I'm going towards the 38, and not the most flexible and light person anymore. probably will teach my son some few stuff, when he's bit more grown up.
I think I've got some pics from back when, lemme see if I can dig 'em up :)

Tatsujin

just watching the hill documentary.. so legendary stuff :)
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

Tatsujin

Damn, DAMN. speaking of Skateboarders Can Also Be Retro Game Nerds ... Watch this @ 1:00
HAHAHA!! :D :D :D

turboswimbz

Quote from: Tatsujin on 01/12/2013, 09:34 AMDamn, DAMN. speaking of Skateboarders Can Also Be Retro Game Nerds ... Watch this @ 1:00
HAHAHA!! :D :D :D
that was amazing!  obey!
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)
BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere. You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

TurboCro

Tatsujin

kinda embarrassing to show that in here, but that was me first time on a sk8 after a good 10 year break. my friend borrowed me his deck at a game night. so I tried to pull off some old tricks without avail and my leather shoes.

gallery.lightspeed .ch/albums/Event_JAN_2004_05_01/jan04_movie_003.mpg

:lol:

damn, and now it's almost 10 years later again.

Nec.Game.head

That's right Turbo Expresses up in the house !! Paid sk8boarders have always had the cool toys ... Damn I had forgot about that part when I saw the documentary a few months back ... Too sick reppin that shit hard in 90' !!

bob

Quote from: Nec.Game.head on 01/11/2013, 08:44 PM@ galam .. You gotta watch Mariano's part on the new Girl and Chocolate video called Pretty Sweet !! His part on the Mouse video to date is still pretty epic .. Actually every freaken part that he has ever released is banging !! That dude has not slowed down at all over the years .. Vice.com has a really good Epicly later'd episode on his life and career in sk8boarding .. Gotta peep that one out also .. This is on of my favorite Guy Mariano Blind decks from back in the day ..
I ripped this out of Transworld years ago and held on to it ever since

/turbo/skate/check.jpg[/img]

Oh, and a couple from my collection...

/turbo/skate/guy.jpg[/img]

Nec.Game.head

That Hawk board is pretty sick, that was released around the time Ban This dropped if I remember correctly .. That nose looks crazy steep !! I was thinking about buying one of those Guy Mariano reissue decks .. It's a toss up between that one and the High Guy deck .. I'll probably end up getting them both once I have a chance to drop some cash on them .. Lately I've been trapped in this Pc Engine life .. Buying all types of goodies .. Good stuff galam ...

bob

Quote from: Nec.Game.head on 01/12/2013, 10:16 PMThat Hawk board is pretty sick, that was released around the time Ban This dropped if I remember correctly .. That nose looks crazy steep !! I was thinking about buying one of those Guy Mariano reissue decks .. It's a toss up between that one and the High Guy deck .. I'll probably end up getting them both once I have a chance to drop some cash on them .. Lately I've been trapped in this Pc Engine life .. Buying all types of goodies .. Good stuff galam ...
Yeah, I grabbed it a couple years ago when Blind released it.  I didn't see the High Guy one.  Did they do all the F'd Up Blind Kids?

Tatsujin

hey HEY, Mariano, hey HEY Hey, Mariano.

TurboCro

Tatsujin

such a cute lil boy and yet a king of streets :D

where I met him the first btime :)

Nec.Game.head

Hell yeah Tatsujin !! That little Mariano verse is from Ban This !! I use to hyme that all the time .. That part was super epic .. It was the first time I saw Rudy Johnson, Palo Diaz and Guy sk8n in the streets of LA .. They were the pioneers of street sk8n in the hood ... Galam I believe in this past year they released the Blind F-UP Kids series .. Not too sure though .. Dude those board graphics were the business !! Roco's art guy always came up with the craziest shit for deck art and adds ... Those were the good ol days when adds could be offensive to the untrained sk8r eye and no one got in trouble or sued for it !! Us 90's sk8rs had the best sense of humor by far !! We were all pretty raw kids !!!

/39964193s.jpg

Tatsujin

soo good :D

btw. nice guy & co docu:
:)

Nec.Game.head

Felt like sharing this quick little video of myself rocking a fucked up tight bunny suit for the drunks and bar fly's at the Pow Wow Saloon down the street from my place ... loaded on whiskey and coke while riding my board in the streets in a bunny suit is pretty fun !!!

Tatsujin

nice stuff, but I've expected some heavier tricks out of that rabbit :D

soop

Quote from: esteban on 04/26/2018, 04:44 PMSHUTTLECOCK OR SHUFFLE OFF!

Nec.Game.head

@ Tatsujin .. lol Dude I could barely fit into that tight ass bunny suit .. My junk was trying to bust out, that's why I put the carrot in front of my package .. lol well that and my girl wasn't down with me running around like that .. I couldn't squat down that low to bust out any kick flips .. That shit felt like at any minute I was gonna bust threw that outfit and bare all to the public .. Here's a quick clip of me in a trow away footy montage .. You can fast forward to my few tricks starting at 57 seconds .. I'm gonna most definitely post up my full video part when I'm done filming in the next month or so ..

bob

Hard ankle sprain the other day doing a stupid switch heel on FLAT!
My toe wedged into the ground and the weight of my body pushed me forward and rolled it.
Weather finally gets perfect and this happens. FTW.

jlued686

Ouch!

I forgot to post the board I got this summer. Here it is:
http://landyachtz.com/D25.cfm?PID=523

Again, I'm old and out-of-shape, so I went with the Cadillac of skateboards. This thing is so cozy to cruise on. Bamboo deck, cushioned grip-tape. It's the perfect old man board. ;)

Tatsujin

I could NEVER ride such a ..thing..srsl & sry

bob

Quote from: guest on 09/23/2013, 10:21 AMOuch!

I forgot to post the board I got this summer. Here it is:
http://landyachtz.com/D25.cfm?PID=523

Again, I'm old and out-of-shape, so I went with the Cadillac of skateboards. This thing is so cozy to cruise on. Bamboo deck, cushioned grip-tape. It's the perfect old man board. ;)
cushioned grip tape??  I have never heard of such a thing.
do you wear these shoes when riding it?  :lol: :lol: :lol:

SkechersShapeUps.jpg

I'm just kidding, those long-boards are super fun.

jlued686

Ha! I should get some orthopedic shoes.

But yeah, the grip tape is slightly thicker than the normal stuff and has a little sponginess to it. Combine that with the flexibility of the bamboo deck and it's a sweet-ass ride!

Arkhan Asylum

2013 /Powell-Peralta-Skull-and-Sword-Ripper-Skateboards.png

The one on the left is what I'm using.

Powell or gtfo.

I also don't use any of those newer skateshoes.

vans or gtfo.

This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

jlued686

I'm resurrecting this thread because Minnesota is finally thawing out and I spent all weekend skating around our neighborhood with my kids. What a fuckin' great time!

I bought a board for my oldest (6) and he's doing surprisingly well, considering his age. He picked out this board: http://thumbs3.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/m0v9CDWdKoY-BdBLmOS1zMQ.jpg

What can I say? The kid loves zombies.

But shit, after a good 6+ hours of skating, my tubby old body is sore today!

jtucci31

Quote from: guest on 03/31/2014, 11:07 AMI'm resurrecting this thread because Minnesota is finally thawing out and I spent all weekend skating around our neighborhood with my kids. What a fuckin' great time!

I bought a board for my oldest (6) and he's doing surprisingly well, considering his age. He picked out this board: http://thumbs3.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/m0v9CDWdKoY-BdBLmOS1zMQ.jpg

What can I say? The kid loves zombies.

But shit, after a good 6+ hours of skating, my tubby old body is sore today!
With the weather finally getting nice in the Chicagoland area, i plan on skating a little today. As much as i love staring at the tv for hours, riding around has its perks too.

HailingTheThings

Skated from age 12 to 20. First deck was a yellow Foundation "Yuck Fou." Damn, I wish I still had that thing. Got decent for a while and almost got sponsored by a local shop when I was 16, but shit happens when too many damn kids are gunning for the spot. The shop still gave me a ton of free shit when they could, so I was unofficially on or something, not really. lol Met a lot of really cool people through skating back in the day, sadly I don't talk to a damn one of them besides my oldest and best friend. Actually painful to sit here and think about all those people whom I miss dearly, yet can't bring myself to look up. Been way too long, I feel sometimes its better to just move on. I associate skateboarding with pain now, wish I didn't. Damn. just, damn. Damn.
IMG

geise

My first board was an Alva.  The boards I had in the 80's used to last quite a while.  Then, when all the decks went the same style I was going through one every couple months.

ToyMachine78

My first deck was an Alien Workshop Lab Rat. I loved their original designs. Their artwork sucks now.

bob

My first board was a chris livingston h-street.

jtucci31

Quote from: HailingTheThings on 03/31/2014, 11:35 PMSkated from age 12 to 20. First deck was a yellow Foundation "Yuck Fou." Damn, I wish I still had that thing. Got decent for a while and almost got sponsored by a local shop when I was 16, but shit happens when too many damn kids are gunning for the spot. The shop still gave me a ton of free shit when they could, so I was unofficially on or something, not really. lol Met a lot of really cool people through skating back in the day, sadly I don't talk to a damn one of them besides my oldest and best friend. Actually painful to sit here and think about all those people whom I miss dearly, yet can't bring myself to look up. Been way too long, I feel sometimes its better to just move on. I associate skateboarding with pain now, wish I didn't. Damn. just, damn. Damn.
That's really cool that you were getting stuff for free. I'm sorry that you associate bad with skateboarding now :/

geise

Haha! Yeah, now it's like "Man I really hope my insurance covers this..."

HailingTheThings

Quote from: guest on 04/01/2014, 05:18 PM
Quote from: HailingTheThings on 03/31/2014, 11:35 PMSkated from age 12 to 20. First deck was a yellow Foundation "Yuck Fou." Damn, I wish I still had that thing. Got decent for a while and almost got sponsored by a local shop when I was 16, but shit happens when too many damn kids are gunning for the spot. The shop still gave me a ton of free shit when they could, so I was unofficially on or something, not really. lol Met a lot of really cool people through skating back in the day, sadly I don't talk to a damn one of them besides my oldest and best friend. Actually painful to sit here and think about all those people whom I miss dearly, yet can't bring myself to look up. Been way too long, I feel sometimes its better to just move on. I associate skateboarding with pain now, wish I didn't. Damn. just, damn. Damn.
That's really cool that you were getting stuff for free. I'm sorry that you associate bad with skateboarding now :/
Getting free stuffs is always cool, for the most part, deep down I feel bad to feel indebted to anyone, though. I was young so whatev.

No need to feel sawrs about the way I feel nowadays, mister, it's just my evolution into mean-old-coot-hood, ya know? lol
IMG

Tatsujin

my first deck was a powel peralta McGill back in 1988

bob

ok...im back in full throttle.  i have been down and out for 6 months due to ankle injury.
weather is nice and im out there.  i worked for 2 hours on one stupid trick.  2 HOURS.
6 Foot slant bank-switch hard flip and couldnt nail it.  a couple of sloppy ones, but i wanted to stick it effortless (looking).
i used to have this trick DIALED and on point.  havent tried it in 5 years.
maybe i need to work it on something smaller for conditioning.
GRRRRRRRRRR

PCEngineHell

I had a few skateboards as a kid, but my main fav one was a Santa Cruz one that was purple and had melting clocks chasing a guy on the bottom of the board. The board, some set of pro wheels and trucks ran about $700 or so back in 1988 or so when my sister got it and gave it to me. I road the hell out of the thing, probably until the wood started to grind down too much around early 1995. I had no grip tape, side rails or nose guard on the thing, just straight wood.

I'd either ride wearing combat boots or Converse All Stars high tops. Even without grip tape I was able to stay on the board fine, even in rainy type weather. Damn I miss that board. It looked pretty damn cool. I got out of skateboarding in early 96. It was fun when I was younger, but its not something I care to do anymore.

Tatsujin

so how did you do any tricks without the grip-tape? :)

PCEngineHell

Quote from: Tatsujin on 05/09/2014, 10:23 PMso how did you do any tricks without the grip-tape? :)
I managed just fine. Grip tape was just for adding friction, and even then just not really needed, for me. I could skid and grind fine. Just depends on what kinda shoes you wore I guess, and personal preference. Also, I was goofyfoot and mainly did street skating. We did not have many half pipes around back then, one on the air base, and one near a Wal-Mart that got damaged and could not be used, and no skate parks. Now we have enough of both in most major cities here. After the Tony Hawk games started coming out, shit just got really popular everywhere and all.

Tatsujin

lol, some ol' dude uploaded very ol' pics on FB:

/1796530_303532253127354_508590455_n.jpg
/1925341_303532283127351_1877110570_n.jpg
/1456041_303532183127361_1666890505_n.jpg

jlued686

My wife and kids got me a new board for my birthday.

IMG

It's a Foundation deck with Independent trucks and Swiss bearings. I love it. I took it out last weekend and almost immediately did this:

IMG

Fuck I'm old!

ToyMachine78

Quote from: guest on 08/06/2014, 11:30 AMMy wife and kids got me a new board for my birthday.

It's a Foundation deck with Independent trucks and Swiss bearings. I love it. I took it out last weekend and almost immediately did this:

Fuck I'm old!
Yeah... I finally decided to hang my board up. At 36 the falls were getting harder to recover from, and the shit started to fuck with my head. Got a bad case of chicken foot. My last deck still looks brand new. :-(

MrFulci

"Damnit, Beavis, put that away. You're not supposed to have your _____ out when you're cooking".

esteban

Quote from: guest on 08/06/2014, 11:30 AMMy wife and kids got me a new board for my birthday.

IMG

IMG

Fuck I'm old!
Fuck, you're an albino!  :pcgs:
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG