PC-FX issues

Started by chadti99, 01/16/2013, 06:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chadti99

Just got a PC-FX imported from Japan.  I don't have any games yet so I've tried a couple backups and the console seems to have issues with reading/loading the games.  For instance Zenki FX has issues with audio glitches or audio dropping out completely.  Zerogiar only seems to load after restarting the console about 10x and even then it won't load the second level.  Is the PC-FX known to have issues reading CD-R media or does this sound like something hardware related like bad caps or a failing laser?

SamIAm

For starters, try putting a music CD in the system and seeing if it can read it. Use a long one, and try all the tracks.

Maybe clean the lens, too.

NecroPhile

Like Sam said, you need to try some real discs.  PC-FXs generally don't have problems with CDRs, so maybe yours just needs some pot adjustments or doesn't like that particular brand of CDR.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

chadti99

Thanks guys, I tried a couple Audio CD's last night and they played perfect, no issues.  I'll try another brand of CDR media and keep my eyes on the marketplace and ebay for a some decent deals.

SamIAm

Glad your FX is OK. :)

Sometimes it's the burner's fault, too. If you have more than one available, by all means, give that a shot, too.

Bargain brand CD-Rs tend to be more problem-prone. Most of the moderately priced name-brands should be OK.

TDK CD-Rs have always worked well for me.

chadti99

Tried some Maxell media and was able to get Zeroigar working without issue, thanks again everyone!

cdamm

I use Taiyo Yuden discs exclusively for game burns. Always work flawlessly. Plus low error rate.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/taiyo-yuden-cd-r-52x-silver-thermal-lacquer-25-disc-spindle

also. i only burn at 1x.

chadti99

I went back and tried the Sony media at a slower burn speed and it helped quite a bit, still some odd issues with both media though.  I'll give these Yuden Media a try!