10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

3D VPU Expansion, was there a protoype?

Started by chadti99, 01/17/2013, 04:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chadti99

I could have sworn I remember reading a few years back about a guy that got ahold of a prototype 3D expansion for the PCFX, it may have actually been PC based and was intended for development only.  I remember he had a few 3d demos working.  Does anyone else remember this?

NecroPhile

The PC-FX GA computer add-in cards included the 3D expansion.  Is that what you're thinking of?  I don't recall ever seeing something that worked in a real PC-FX.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Arkhan Asylum

That's the PC-FX GA setup.   It's basically a PC-FX kit for your computer and most of what you create with it is incompatible with the real thang, because of 3D.

There's some cool 3D demos.   I have the disc here somewhere.    There's some really promising stuff that I wish they would've capitalized on.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

chadti99

Thanks guys, thats what it was!  Would have been cool if NEC had released the same 3D chipset for the GA as an expansion to the PCFX.

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: chadti99 on 01/18/2013, 01:08 PMThanks guys, thats what it was!  Would have been cool if NEC had released the same 3D chipset for the GA as an expansion to the PCFX.
It was supposed to exist, but the PCFX tanked pretty hard...

I mean you could probably fanagle the GA thing into working with the PCFX, but any 3D games that get made would only work for the 3 people who also own the overpriced bullshit. :)
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

sabre470

Quote from: guest on 01/17/2013, 05:04 PMThat's the PC-FX GA setup.   It's basically a PC-FX kit for your computer and most of what you create with it is incompatible with the real thang, because of 3D.
Actually that's not entirely accurate some peeps have managed to use Gmaker/+ to create some code to run on a PC-FX emulator, I think it was frog game if memory serves me well. The SDK can create some game for the regular FX.

Secondly, I have both PC-FXGA games ie SameGameFX and Nnyu and they do boot on a stock PC-FX you can ear the music and even start the games but obviously the screen stays blank. Might be possible to gut a PC-FXGA from its 3D Chip and create an adapter but that's beyond my skills... way beyond.
Sabre470
PC-FX Fanatic
https://cdromrom.wordpress.com

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: sabre470 on 03/12/2014, 03:49 PM
Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 01/17/2013, 05:04 PMThat's the PC-FX GA setup.   It's basically a PC-FX kit for your computer and most of what you create with it is incompatible with the real thang, because of 3D.
Actually that's not entirely accurate some peeps have managed to use Gmaker/+ to create some code to run on a PC-FX emulator, I think it was frog game if memory serves me well. The SDK can create some game for the regular FX.
Yes, but if you use anything regarding 3D, you're screwed.

QuoteSecondly, I have both PC-FXGA games ie SameGameFX and Nnyu and they do boot on a stock PC-FX you can ear the music and even start the games but obviously the screen stays blank. Might be possible to gut a PC-FXGA from its 3D Chip and create an adapter but that's beyond my skills... way beyond.
Isn't that what incompatible means.

sabre470

You are correct on the SDK, the guy had to do a bit of hacking to get it to boot. The SDK can built CD isos and EX files but you don't have to use the 3d libraries though it doesn't help that the whole documentation for the kit in japanese.

You could say that, on my 2nd point, if it was totally incompatible, nothing would work ;) Everything works except the display so it's little difficult to play in the dark.
Sabre470
PC-FX Fanatic
https://cdromrom.wordpress.com