Gonna play me some Astyanax tonight

Started by bob, 01/21/2013, 07:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bob

Picked this up for a fiver last week and I distinctly remember this being very similar to Legendary Axe. I had fun with it way back when and I hope it's as good as I recall. Meaning, I hope I can play it for more than 10 minutes without saying "wow, this is nothing like I remember".  I used to rent it a number of times, so I imagine I liked it enough to have a bit of staying power.

PukeSter

I think one of the lead designers from Legendary Axe actually worked on Astyanax. I could be wrong, however. I've never played the game myself...

esteban

Quote from: galam on 01/21/2013, 07:24 PMPicked this up for a fiver last week and I distinctly remember this being very similar to Legendary Axe. I had fun with it way back when and I hope it's as good as I recall. Meaning, I hope I can play it for more than 10 minutes without saying "wow, this is nothing like I remember".  I used to rent it a number of times, so I imagine I liked it enough to have a bit of staying power.
My friend had this for the NES and we played it alot (he was late to the NES...but I was grateful because I wouldn't have known about a lot of the later NES releases)...

Astyanax is OK, but it certainly falls into the "this game had potential, but squandered it" category.

IIRC, the biggest concerns are: controls and repetitiveness.

I definitely think fans of Legendary Axe should check it out. :pcgs:
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

SuperDeadite

Quote from: esteban on 01/21/2013, 09:59 PM
Quote from: galam on 01/21/2013, 07:24 PMPicked this up for a fiver last week and I distinctly remember this being very similar to Legendary Axe. I had fun with it way back when and I hope it's as good as I recall. Meaning, I hope I can play it for more than 10 minutes without saying "wow, this is nothing like I remember".  I used to rent it a number of times, so I imagine I liked it enough to have a bit of staying power.
My friend had this for the NES and we played it alot (he was late to the NES...but I was grateful because I wouldn't have known about a lot of the later NES releases)...

Astyanax is OK, but it certainly falls into the "this game had potential, but squandered it" category.

IIRC, the biggest concerns are: controls and repetitiveness.

I definitely think fans of Legendary Axe should check it out. :pcgs:
Great game imo.  Beat it many times.  And considering it's a completely different game from the original arcade game, I'd say it turned out very well.
Stronger Than Your Average Deadite

JoshTurboTrollX

Yay, Astyanax!!  I enjoyed the NES game with it's many (lengthy) cut scenes with lots of storyline AND the arcade game which is a bit different.  I remember when I got Legendary Axe for turbo and thinking- "Hmmm, this reminds me a bit of Astyanax!"  But, yeah- control, gameplay, grafx, sounds- all better in LA!!

Still, very cool!!
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion/blackmail!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

TR0N

Any body ever seen the japanese cover for astyanax  :-"
IMG
Funny it's cover makes the hero look like he-man.Not to mention why change the game title it sure is easier to pronounce  :roll:
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

NinjaCrackerX

Still have my cart and play it when I bust out the old box. One of my first experiences with the anime style in the cutscenes. I like the name Astyanax, "The Lord of King" sounds even goofier to me. Why not name it "The Warrior of Soldier"  :mrgreen:

bob

Arkhan Asylum

This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

bartre

his body was too busy growing his ridiculous left arm.
like when you trim a tomato plant to one tomato, the remaining one gets all the nutrients and grows to be huge.