2/13/2025: Localization News - Cosmic Fantasy 3-4!

Rather earth-shattering news in the PC Engine / TurboGrafx-16 community: Cosmic Fantasy 3 & 4 has been officially localized to English by Edia 30 years later for the Switch! Hard to believe! I know their script quality is poor given the 1&2 port but still good to see.
nintendo.com/us/store/products/cosmic-fantasy-collection2-switch/
Main Menu

Any Vigilante fans?

Started by PukeSter, 01/27/2013, 04:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 0 Guests are viewing this topic.

PukeSter

Vigilante is a fun little game. Great to play for 10 minutes. Nice variety(black dudes with chains 8) ). Jump kicking is badass. Judged as an arcade game/port, it's excellent. I feel good whenever I get the ending. :)

Haters gonna hate, but anybody else ever play this gem?

PCEngineHell

https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=12700.0

I've loved the game since it came out in the arcade. A true classic arcade title, and it has been discussed often here, including when it was released for the Virtual Console:
https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=2653.0

You get in, you play, you have fun. It is beatable after you build some skill and good timing, and you get out when you are ready to put it down and move on to something else. When you play again, you play to improve your high score and lessen your death count until you can build up to that 1cc clear if possible. That is how an arcade title should be in most cases.

Bernie

I love it.  Would've like to seen Double Dragon ported, bit this does the trick.

esteban

I wrote about this in the past. So here is "abridged" (ha!) version:

(1) Picked it up as a launch title.
(2) Not overly impressed (circa 1989).
(3) Play game a lot due to no $$$.
(4) Realize that game is best without turbo/autofire.
(5) Still not impressed.
(6) Years pass.
(6.5) Talk about old games with random person.
(7) He praises the game and I say, "WTF?!"
(8) I give Vigilante a second (or, at this point, a fifteenth) chance.
(9) I totally have fun with Vigilante.

STATUS: Back in the day, I wanted more from the game. Now I appreciate it for what it is.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Keith Courage

I love Vigilante. I always come back to the game even though I have beaten it  over and over again.

VestCunt

My Vigilante history, esteban style:

1992: Drooled over the pictures of Vigilante on my TurboGrafx packaging
1997: Bought for $10 used. Hated it.
2005: Liked it.
2013: Bought SMS version. Hated it.

Turbo version is good. SMS version looks good.
I'm a cunt, always was. Topic Adjourned.

Tatsujin

www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

Tatsujin

Quote from: Bernie on 01/27/2013, 05:00 PMWould've like to seen Double Dragon ported, bit this does the trick. 
but you've got double dragon 2 instead :)
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

PunkCryborg

If you don't like Vigilante go back to playing your N64 WIMP!

tggodfrey

i enjoyed it, it was fun but not a game i would play over and over.
Games currently in play:
PS3: COD Ghosts
TG16: Boxyboy

ParanoiaDragon

Quote from: Bernie on 01/27/2013, 05:00 PMI love it.  Would've like to seen Double Dragon ported, bit this does the trick. 
With Dragon Arm being a brawler, it would be totally doable to do a souped up version of Double Dragon using DA's game engine.  Just would need someone interested in coding it when the time came.
IMG

seieienbu

I got it pretty cheap used about 10 years ago.  It was okay.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

pc_kwajalein

#12
Gaming in the 80's and early 90's was an absolute blast; and Vigilante was one the reasons why.

Like so many storylines of the time; you've got your hero trying to get back his girlfriend from a gang of no-good lowlifes. Even though the Double Dragon series, Renegade, Final Fight, and other brawlers had the same premise, I liked Vigilante's style of play. Plus, the graphics were pretty cool too.

One thing I'll always remember from the coin-op is that after defeating a boss, the Vigilante would walk up to the van holding Madonna, and her arms would reach out to him just as the van pulls away to the next stage. I can't count the number of times of wanted to yell at the sky, "DAMN YOUUUUUU!!!" with my fist shaking in the air.   :x

The first time I beat the game, there was a great sense of accomplishment.  :D I still like Vigilante to this day.
My past-life would've surely led to our demise, and I had left it not a moment too soon. Our escape, though dangerous, had gone well. The train ride, sunlight, and passing snow-covered pine trees came together in a flickering show of our bright, new future together. Her head rested on my shoulder as she soundly slept to the gentle rocking of the passenger car. We felt freedom. We felt peace.

Corredor X

Played a lot of the SMS version back in the day, liked it a lot.

Tatsujin

Vigilante is so good, hard to believe there are peeps
out there who can't like it.
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

majors

Quote from: Tatsujin on 01/28/2013, 07:50 AMVigilante is so good, hard to believe there are peeps
out there who can't like it.
I guess you'd say there are two type of ppl in this world, those that love Vigilante and those that not have played Vigilante enough.

I have not played it enough.
TG/PCE Collection.
"Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)

Arkhan Asylum

its one of the best arcade ports on the system.

and the best home version of the game in general.

This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

CPTRAVE

Oh yeah Vigilante is awesome loved playing when I was a kid and love playing it now. :P

SuperPlay

This makes me want to put down Maison Ikkoku for a while and head to the Junk Yard ;-)

pc_kwajalein

One of the enemies I came to respect on Vigilante was the red mohawked guy. He didn't come at you with knives, chains, guns, or pipes. Instead, he just wanted to straight-up brawl with you. I respect that... too bad I usually just caved his face in with the nunchaku.  :P
My past-life would've surely led to our demise, and I had left it not a moment too soon. Our escape, though dangerous, had gone well. The train ride, sunlight, and passing snow-covered pine trees came together in a flickering show of our bright, new future together. Her head rested on my shoulder as she soundly slept to the gentle rocking of the passenger car. We felt freedom. We felt peace.

PukeSter

The game is very easy, but fun. :)

Any idea if the arcade version is much harder?

PCEngineHell

Quote from: guest on 01/28/2013, 04:55 PMThe game is very easy, but fun. :)

Any idea if the arcade version is much harder?
Not really. Not for me anyway.

Tatsujin

Quote from: majors on 01/28/2013, 08:52 AMI have not played it enough.
Protip: play more Vigilante :)
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

esteban

#23
PROTIP: You will kick ass, but don't forget your overalls!

STATUS: You are a fool if you don't read this ancient post about THE GLORY OF VIGILANTE'S COVER ART

Seriously, it's been awhile since I recycled that post!
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: PukeSter on 01/28/2013, 04:55 PMThe game is very easy, but fun. :)

Any idea if the arcade version is much harder?
are you using turbo controls?

If so, you are cheating.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

jlued686

I remember first seeing screenshots for Vigilante; probably in EGM ads or something. There was a shot of the sunset in the background that I thought was incredible. At the time, my friends and I were obsessed with games like Double Dragon 2 and Contra; kick ass co-ops that had incredible levels and variety (relatively speaking). That is what I expected from Vigilante. What I got was a prettier Kung Fu.

I was disappointed.

Very, very disappointed.
Is it fun? Sure, I guess. But as beat-em-ups go, it's really basic; which is saying a lot for the beat-em-up genre.

420GOAT

i love the nunchucks!
I want to be more like 337.

The Wolf: If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the fucking car.

MrFlutterPie

I got Vigilante when I first got my Turbo.  I like beat em ups so it was an easy sell.  The game is simple but fun.

Turbo chucks for the win!!!!

PukeSter

Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 01/29/2013, 01:02 PM
Quote from: PukeSter on 01/28/2013, 04:55 PMThe game is very easy, but fun. :)

Any idea if the arcade version is much harder?
are you using turbo controls?

If so, you are cheating.
No turbo controls. I do have to use some continues. Currently I only have it on Virtual Console, and this is one game that I'd like to get a real copy of.

termis

It's good.  You beat the shit out of punks for 15 minutes, and you're done.  Short & sweet. 

I guess I just really liked the gameplay of these style of games - I was a huge fan of Kung-Fu Master, which is the spiritual prequel to this game.

Tatsujin

kung fu master / spartan x on the NES/FC was even better than its arcade pendant. it just hat the very right kick and Kiyaii!!
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

turbokon

Like most people, I first saw vigalante on the turbografx box and thought the graphic was cool back when we first picked the system. Didn't get to play it until I was an adult. I found it too hard especially when I get choked, it's hard to break free. I only played it a few times and have made it to stage 3. I guess I need to give it some more tries.
Turbo fan since 1991 after owning my first system.

Check out my website:)
www.tg16pcemods.com

MotherGunner

#32
You can always get Kung Fu 72 to continue your Vigilante fix!

https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=2649.0

IMG
-MG

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM (If you want peace, Prepare for war)
SI VIS BELLUM, PARA MATRIMONIUM (If you want war, Prepare for marriage)

MrFlutterPie

Ever since I read this thread I am going to beat this game.  Got to the final boss today.

Tatsujin

the final boss is the hardest hurdle of the game imo. he just let you open a very small time frame to attack.
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

Emerald Rocker

Official member of the PCEFX 4K Post Club

Arkhan Asylum

The author of that article needs to put down the thesaurus.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Emerald Rocker

He can't help it -- he's British.
Official member of the PCEFX 4K Post Club

kiketonto

I love this game since I played it first time on arcade.
I think it's a great conversion.

esteban

IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

GohanX

I remember when I got this game, I was getting R-Type on ebay a long time ago and grabbed Vigilante and Alien Crush just because they were cheap with combined shipping. I really had no idea what Vigilante was, I popped it in, and OMG IT'S KUNG FU WITH 80'S PUNKS AWESOMELOLWTF!!!!!

RainMaker

Very fun game. I remember buying a turbo grafx 16, battle royal and vigilante years back at PC Richard. The PC engine cover of vigilante is bad ass too.

WoodyXP

I love Vigilante.  Can you think of any other game that has black skinheads?
"I bathe in AES carts."

Tatsujin

Who does not love vigilante, does not love pce/tg at all :idea:
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

OldRover

I only have two gripes with the PCE/TG16 conversion of Vigilante:

-The audio lacks the "punch" of the arcade... that includes missing drums and such
-Lots of missing animation frames

Other than that... can't go wrong. It's the same game as the arcade gameplay-wise and is balanced pretty much the same as well. The only balance difference I know about is that the red mohawked brawlers take more hits in the arcade version.
Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: The Old Rover on 02/13/2013, 09:56 PM-The audio lacks the "punch" of the arcade... that includes missing drums and such
-Lots of missing animation frames
What'd you expect?! :)

At least the punching noise itself is still pretty awesome.  and the voice effects.   even though you can't really understand what the hell they're saying.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

ParanoiaDragon

The end level track has some surprising punch for the Turbo.  Not many games pulled off that much bass. Legendary Axe 2 comes to mind.
IMG

Gladiator316

Its basically Kung Fu for the Nes but its POWERED UP!! I love those cheesy promo kiosk vid!! :mrgreen:

and YES this game I consider to be a sequel to kung fu...
93/94 TurboChips

Bernie

Quote from: Gladiator316 on 02/20/2013, 01:49 PMIts basically Kung Fu for the Nes but its POWERED UP!! I love those cheesy promo kiosk vid!! :mrgreen:

and YES this game I consider to be a sequel to kung fu...
Are you sure about this?????

Gladiator316

Quote from: Bernie on 02/20/2013, 03:44 PM
Quote from: Gladiator316 on 02/20/2013, 01:49 PMIts basically Kung Fu for the Nes but its POWERED UP!! I love those cheesy promo kiosk vid!! :mrgreen:

and YES this game I consider to be a sequel to kung fu...
Are you sure about this?????
Not 100%...Well Unofficial sequel IMO :P
93/94 TurboChips