PCE Might and Magic 1 English Translation

Started by BigusSchmuck, 01/28/2013, 05:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigusSchmuck

In my travels in the interwebs I came across this:
http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,11157.msg166132.html#msg166132
I had no idea someone was even making an attempt on this...

Bernie

I have this...in its very incomplete form.  I believe it has been abandoned as nothing new has been heard from him in a long while.. not even an update to his torrent where he shared his progress.

NecroPhile

I'd love to see it completed, but it does look like it's been abandoned.  Maybe we'll get lucky and he'll pick it back up some year.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Keith Courage

He was also working on cosmic fantasy 1 right? I don't think anything has happened with that for a while either.

Bernie

This straight from his torrent.

QuoteHi!
I exclusive share with you my in progress PCE-CD Might & Magic Book One translation.
I hope help found someone, who good japanese to english translator. I use the original script when I found in original PC release, but this release has lots of additional texts. I use google translator and babylon9 site, but is not enough good, (because my english worst what you ever seen).  

This areas translated: B1, C1-3, D1, E1, Cave North Barrier, Dusk, Erliquin and Cave, Sorigal and Cave, in progress Portsmith.

All translated text is in the torrent in .jce file format, can use with JWPce (JWPce is a freeware japanese word processor). I use these format because easy to rip texts from the game to the ShiftJIS coded file.

I don't have enough time to translate and edit the rom at the same time. If i found any help the translation easy completed in 2-3 months, but only myself it easy to take a years.

The game start with run.bat, but if you familiar with the use mednafen, you can config yourself, just be sure use the SYSCARD3hacked.PCE with the 8x12 hacked system fonts.
IMG IMG

IMG  IMG

esteban

IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Bernie

If anyone wants the files, lemme know.  I have no clue what to do with them...  lol

spenoza

Aw hell. My Japanese is VERY rusty, but video game Japanese is usually pretty simple, and I've got all the dictionaries I need. I don't know that I can work on it right now, but maybe I ought to get those files and see about working on it once I have a little more time.

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: guest on 01/31/2013, 08:43 AMAw hell. My Japanese is VERY rusty, but video game Japanese is usually pretty simple, and I've got all the dictionaries I need. I don't know that I can work on it right now, but maybe I ought to get those files and see about working on it once I have a little more time.
The translating is easy

It's the putting-it-into-the-game that is not.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

NecroPhile

Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

BigusSchmuck

Quote from: guest on 01/31/2013, 08:43 AMAw hell. My Japanese is VERY rusty, but video game Japanese is usually pretty simple, and I've got all the dictionaries I need. I don't know that I can work on it right now, but maybe I ought to get those files and see about working on it once I have a little more time.
That would be really cool as I don't think this game was ever redone on any other system. At least not properly. :)

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: BigusSchmuck on 01/31/2013, 03:38 PM
That would be really cool as I don't think this game was ever redone on any other system. At least not properly. :)
This is the only version that has been all cracked out and anime'd out.   It's pretty nice overall, but the characters sort of make things weird since M&M has always been about making your own gimps.

The NES version is pretty good too, as are the PC ones. 

This version would be cool to see in english, if only for the interesting take on the plot/characters.     

... it's also got the best visuals of any M&M1
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

spenoza

Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 01/31/2013, 02:34 PMThe translating is easy

It's the putting-it-into-the-game that is not.
I've been looking for an excuse to learn how to start extracting/re-inserting scripts. If this one is one of the easier ones (from the technical standpoint, not the size standpoint), it might be a good starting place. Anybody have any know-how on the topic?

BigusSchmuck

Couldn't you just rip the text from the PC game our the nes version?

spenoza

Sure, but then it has to be re-inserted. I'd rather extract the text from the JPN version and translate it from that, in case they made any content or detail changes, and then re-insert it. If I extract it, I know where it is and where it goes. But I'm still looking for a good starting point to learn this stuff.

Arkhan Asylum

You can't rip it from PC or NES.   The game is different.

PC Engine's has a more JRPG approach with preset characters/names/text/story stuff.

ParanoiaDragon

What about the Wizardry's, does anybody know if they're straight up ports in regards to characters/story/etc.?
IMG

BigusSchmuck

Quote from: ParanoiaDragon on 02/03/2013, 08:31 PMWhat about the Wizardry's, does anybody know if they're straight up ports in regards to characters/story/etc.?
As far as I know yes. They are already 80% English anyway, those games shouldn't be a problem.

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: ParanoiaDragon on 02/03/2013, 08:31 PMWhat about the Wizardry's, does anybody know if they're straight up ports in regards to characters/story/etc.?
Those are straight up ports.

wizardry games pre Bane of the Cosmic Forge aren't exactly known for their lush character development....

BigusSchmuck

Quote from: guest on 02/04/2013, 01:04 AM
Those are straight up ports.

wizardry games pre Bane of the Cosmic Forge aren't exactly known for their lush character development....
Wizardry 4 did. :) And by far the best port ever, monsters gaining levels makes that game a little more tolerable. Back to the topic on hand, so we really can't take say the translated text from MM1 on the nes and then reinsert it back into MM1 for the PCE? What about like the commands, spells, monsters and locations? Are they really that different?

spenoza

Well, I suppose if the Japanese REALLY proved to be that difficult, the NES could provide a decent guide, but the thing is, simple RPG Japanese isn't that hard to translate at all. The challenge is the technical challenge. Finding the text and graphics in the PCE data and then swapping it out with English equivalents requires a decent bit of skill. It is also probably stored very differently from the data in the NES version.

In projects like this, technical issues trump translation issues.

Arkhan Asylum

The characters in M&M for PCE do not exist for any other M&M game.

You do not roll up your own party.   The entire layout is different than the NES.    Using the NES as a starting point is a waste of time.

http://www.unlimitedzigworks.com/480/pce-might-and-magic-cd.html

There's the review.   Compare that to the NES or any other version, and you'll see that you're kind of hosed.

However, this version is pretty good aside from a few oversights.  I like the Japanified changes.   

BigusSchmuck

Quote from: guest on 02/14/2013, 12:24 PMThe characters in M&M for PCE do not exist for any other M&M game.

You do not roll up your own party.   The entire layout is different than the NES.    Using the NES as a starting point is a waste of time.

http://www.unlimitedzigworks.com/480/pce-might-and-magic-cd.html

There's the review.   Compare that to the NES or any other version, and you'll see that you're kind of hosed.

However, this version is pretty good aside from a few oversights.  I like the Japanified changes. 
So its a remake of sorts minus the character creation. Damnit, it needs to be in English! :P I might just run this game on a emulator tonight just to see how it is before I go buy the actual game.

Arkhan Asylum

It was worth the 10 bucks.

It's not bad.  It's just all JRPG'd a bit with set characters and =3 animu crap

Edmond Dantes

Quote from: BigusSchmuck on 02/01/2013, 11:30 PMCouldn't you just rip the text from the PC game our the nes version?
It seems like that's what they actually did for the actual NES version, and... in some cases, that seemed to have caused errors (chests always have the "blade" trap, regardless of what actually happens to your characters, "Varn" mispelled as "Barn," among other errors).

I'd rather someone actually check and make sure the text actually fits, and make sure there isn't new text that has to be accounted for.

EDIT:  About that review... I'm not entirely sure if its as massively different as we're being led to think.  The NES version started you out with premades, but there was a way to customize them (basically make new characters in the process).  The guy says there's no alignment-changing and that there's an attempt at a storyline now, but outside of an opening cutscene I don't see any proof that this is true.  For all I know, he might have just not found the fountains or whatever that change alignment and allow you to customize characters.