Famicom Everdrive-N8

Started by TR0N, 02/07/2013, 04:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TR0N

Yes this flashcart is out finally.
http://www.retrogate.com
I was wondering if any body here has one yet to try with impression for it  :?: :!:

Also video of it in action.
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

PunkCryborg

This is the first flash cart I actually want to buy. There are a ton of great translated Famicom games I've been wanting to play.

ccovell

The more NES/Fami flashcarts, the better.   :dance:

I just (back) ordered mine.

KnightWarrior

How did you back order your's?

Does SAG take the money 1st or when it's back in stock?

ApolloBoy

I sold my PowerPak for one of these and I can't wait!
IMG

ElSeven

dang, i'll def pick one of these up with my next paycheck!  famicom games are generally pretty affordable, but this will be nice to play translated RPGs (Mother), NA Exclusives (Ironsword) and rare FDS games on a real famicom.
currently playing:
PCE - Raiden
SNES - Chrono Trigger
DC - Fast Striker

PCE LP

ccovell

Quote from: KnightWarrior on 02/07/2013, 10:05 AMDoes SAG take the money 1st or when it's back in stock?
Retrogate took my money and ran!  :-D

KnightWarrior

funny..

I'm thinking really hard selling Bonk on the NES for this

ElSeven

stone age gamer will be selling a deluxe version for....$175!  yikes, wtf could it possibly come with to justify that?  [-(
currently playing:
PCE - Raiden
SNES - Chrono Trigger
DC - Fast Striker

PCE LP

TheClash603

Quote from: KnightWarrior on 02/07/2013, 08:25 PMfunny..

I'm thinking really hard selling Bonk on the NES for this
That game somehow tripled in value in like 3 months.  It was always on my "I'll get it later" list, but it isn't worth $200.

This thing is going to kill the hilarious and awesome Black Market Mortal Kombat Famicom games.  Sucks!

KnightWarrior

Quote from: ElSeven on 02/07/2013, 08:28 PMstone age gamer will be selling a deluxe version for....$175!  yikes, wtf could it possibly come with to justify that?  [-(
Homemade Case
Micro SD Card - 4GB
Famicom Cart Case

Joe Redifer

I ordered mine. They haven't begun shipping yet I don't think. Probably within the next week or so they'll start going out if they haven't already. The expansion sound isn't perfect yet. I hope that Krikzz lets people develop mappers for the thing. I would like some anal-retentive fuck to develop perfect-sounding VRC-6 and LC88(? or whatever the chip in the disk drive is called) mappers. Krikzz is good but I think he's happy when things like that are "close enough".

TheClash603

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 02/08/2013, 07:57 PMI ordered mine. They haven't begun shipping yet I don't think. Probably within the next week or so they'll start going out if they haven't already. The expansion sound isn't perfect yet. I hope that Krikzz lets people develop mappers for the thing. I would like some anal-retentive fuck to develop perfect-sounding VRC-6 and LC88(? or whatever the chip in the disk drive is called) mappers. Krikzz is good but I think he's happy when things like that are "close enough".
Looks like you need to buy the Everdrive-N8 and Gimmick!

Duo_R

Question if I have a US NES should I use this with an adapter or wait for NES version? Like any feature differences or are they basically the same feature wise?
Add my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/sOg93QUtlg0
For sale trade list: https://tinyurl.com/2csm7kq

Joe Redifer

Got mine in. Doesn't work on my NES with the converter I have because the converter needs a real CIC and not a stun circuit. It works on the Twin Famicom.

Does anyone know where I can get a 60-to-72 pin converter with a real CIC on board? I will buy it from you if you are willing to sell.

Duo_R

I wonder if mine has that chip? I guess the NES version might be a good option then?

TR0N

Quote from: Duo_R on 02/22/2013, 04:08 AMI wonder if mine has that chip? I guess the NES version might be a good option then?
Unless you don't have the right adapter for using it on a nes,then i suggest waiting for the nes-everdrive.That is the next one krikzz will be working on now that the everdrive-N8 is out.
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

KnightWarrior

Joe Redifer

Basically it uses a voltage spike of sorts to tell the 10NES lockout chip inside the NES to STFU and just run the game. Many unlicensed carts used this, like stuff from Color Dreams. It's just basically a transistor, a few resistors and capacitors.

KnightWarrior

What converter do you have Joe?

Joe Redifer

It looks like this one. However I have seen those have a chip inside instead of a circuit, no idea if they'd work.

PunkCryborg

what are the advantages of this over the powerpack for NES?

Joe Redifer

Better/less buggy mapper support for one. Also Krikzz (developer of the Everdrive) actually responds to feedback with new OS updates. This Everdrive just got it's 2nd update and it hasn't even been out a month yet. Also I have heard that the Everdrive N8 consumes less power than the Powerpak. A person who has both has said that on his RGB-modified NES, the Powerpak has jailbar type lines in the image whereas the EverdriveN8 does not.

PunkCryborg

Interesting, thanks Joe. Since I pretty much only use my famicom anyways this would be my only option. Hopefully all these new flash carts will jumpstart more translation projects!

Mathius

I have been meaning to pick up a Power Pack from RetroUSB but maybe I'll wait after hearing your guys' feedback.

KnightWarrior

Joe, try to get the Converter out of a Gyromite cart or just buy a Honeybee Converter

Joe Redifer

Yeah I've got a Gyromite one and the whole thing fits inside the cart nicely! An NES Everdrive is due soon.

Duo_R

Wait what if you disable the lockout chip in the NES? Would any converter work then?

Joe Redifer

I don't know. I was wondering that myself. Krikzz aluded that it would possibly work. I would disable the lockout chip in mine but the pin is way too small for me to cut and bend up in order to try it. I guess I just don't have the proper tool to do it.

Mishran

All you need is an Xacto knife to cut the pin and then bend it back away from the chip. Just gotta be careful not to cut into the board. That's how I disabled the chip in my NES.

Joe Redifer

It didn't look like the pin could be cut with an X-acto. Can it really? If disabling this chip would make the stun circuit bypass not activate, it should work. Does the 10NES in the NES request information first? If so that should keep the stun circuit from firing.

Mishran

The two chips, one in the NES and the other in the cartridge, act as a pair. The "lock" in the NES looks for the "key" in the cart. Disable the lock, the door is always open. If the 10NES in the system does not detect the chip in the cart, it prevents the system from continuing to "boot". If the chip is disabled, then any converter should work.

I only have two "official" converters, both in a Gyromite and a Duck Hunt cart. I modified the one in the Gyromite to allow connecting Famicom games to it with the cases. Just requires removing about 1/8" off the ends of the fami side of the connector to allow the cart to slide over the connector. My dremel assisted me in that act.

Joe Redifer

The Gyromite converter definitely works since it has a 10NES/CIC on it. That's what I use for my NES Everdrive. Except my Everdrive now lives inside the Gyromite cart. I'll eventually dremel the plastic for easy access to the micro SD.

KnightWarrior

Joe, L__E__T from Famicom World is doing I think from request Pre-Made Famicom Shells for the EverDrive N8

SNKNostalgia

A lot of Famicom/NES stuff has been going on lately. The release of the N8 and soon NES Everdrive is damn great. Now, there's an HDMI/Online Scoreboard (mini USB) board about to come out for the Toploader NES/AV Famicom. On top of that, there's a NES Powerpak 2.0 coming out. Awesome times for Nintendo 8-bit greatness.

I am basically sitting this out till I know for sure which flash cart and video board to get. I have been wanting to RGB mod my NES, but I much rather sacrifice 240p with scanlines than go through the whole hellishness of finding a PC-10 PPU and paying out the ass just to get off-looking colors. I hope they make an S-video/Component version of the HDMI board with 240p. That would be awesome sauce!!!

CGQuarterly

The HDMI board still requires a new PPU...

Chris