OMG! ZIRIA! ZIRIA!! ZIRIA!!! IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED!! 34 YEARS LATER!! The epic/legendary Tengai Makyou/Far East of Eden: Ziria JRPG has finally been localized! Supper the Subtitler struck again! Simply unstoppable, NOTHING can prevent him from TOTAL PCECD localization domination!!!! WHACHA GONNA DO BROTHER?!?!
Main Menu

Anearth Fantasy Stories - Translation Project Thread

Started by SamIAm, 03/10/2013, 01:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NightWolve

Quote from: PixyJunket on 10/17/2014, 07:38 PMI would love to try it after the patch too, but my Duo-R won't read CDRs.
Needs a tuning job of the 3 CD laser-related potentiometers. Failing that, a new laser. Ask for a quote from one of our PCEFX modders: thesteve, turbokon, Keith Courage, etc.

PixyJunket

Quote from: NightWolve on 10/17/2014, 10:23 PM
Quote from: PixyJunket on 10/17/2014, 07:38 PMI would love to try it after the patch too, but my Duo-R won't read CDRs.
Needs a tuning job of the 3 CD laser-related potentiometers. Failing that, a new laser. Ask for a quote from one of our PCEFX modders: thesteve, turbokon, Keith Courage, etc.
Thanks, I figured it was something about that, but since it plays bought games okay I haven't had a dire need to do much about it. I'll ask around for a tune-up at some point when I can justify doing a few other things to it (RGB mod, perhaps).
Drink Craft Beer and Play PC-Engine.
Compile, Westone and Falcom.

clackattack

Id totally be down to Beta the patch once it drops.... Just let us know when you need the grunt work done
[If it's song and dance you want, song and dance you'll get!]

Nighttrate

Hi guy just wondering how the translation was coming along?

pixeljunkie

Quote from: Nighttrate on 11/03/2014, 07:05 PMHi guy just wondering how the translation was coming along?
a watched pot never boils.

clackattack

[If it's song and dance you want, song and dance you'll get!]

HailingTheThings

IMG

spenoza

I watched a pot boil, once. It was a small pot, admittedly, and I was really bored (and really tired). It was kinda cool to see it start generating air bubbles on the bottom and watch then get numerous enough to detach and float to the surface, and do that with increasing speed.

I was also really hungry and wanted to dump my ramen noodles in as soon as it was boiling.

SamIAm

Let's see.

At the moment, maybe 15-20% of the total text is done. It's hard to say. That's all the text that is currently dumped.

Right now, Esperknight is working on getting his dumper to get all of the text. The script in this game includes control codes that change the color as well as the printing speed, but it also contains icons and a sort of special word dictionary for common words. These things are tripping us up at the moment.

After that, we just have to get all the text on a load-by-load basis, which should be easy thanks to our savestate library.

SamIAm

Yay! Esperknight dumped a crapload more text!

seieienbu

Excellent news.  How long does it take you to translate a script, anyway?
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

esteban

IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

SamIAm

Quote from: seieienbu on 11/28/2014, 02:12 AMExcellent news.  How long does it take you to translate a script, anyway?
Totally depends on the game, and also how organized the script dump is. Like right now, because there is some reformatting in this latest script dump, I need to spend an hour or two just going through what I've done so far and updating things.

RPG dialogue tends to be very easy to translate. I once did some translating work for a modern art museum, and my job was to write up the curator's comments about/interpretations of individual works throughout the museum. THAT was hard.

The only problem with translating text dumps is that you are missing a lot of context. That's why either being deeply familiar with the source before starting, or play-testing and re-editing after making a finished draft, is really necessary IMO.

Quote from: m1savage on 11/28/2014, 11:49 PMAnearth? An Earth?
I don't know for sure, but I get the impression that in terms of meaning, it's almost like "Another Earth". Sort of a parallel universe kind of thing, or something. But it's not worth thinking about too deeply.

SamIAm

Piece by piece, progress is being made. Esperknight is still trying to get me a more complete script dump, so I am working on Tengai Makyo for a bit. This will take priority once the script is dumping a little better.

SkyeWelse

This looks amazing! I had never heard of this game until now. It has a very impressive and polished art style as well. I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for new project updates. :)

-Thomas

esteban

technozombie

I'm curious as to why Google translate calls this game Christmas eve story.

CrackTiger

Quote from: technozombie on 02/21/2015, 07:47 PMI'm curious as to why Google translate calls this game Christmas eve story.
Probably because it was released just before Christmas of 1995.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

poponon

Quote from: SkyeWelse on 02/21/2015, 02:06 AMThis looks amazing! I had never heard of this game until now. It has a very impressive and polished art style as well. I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for new project updates. :)

-Thomas
Agreed the graphics look real nice! Is anyone aware of a gameplay video of the battles? All the screenshots look really interesting.

SamIAm

Quote from: technozombie on 02/21/2015, 07:47 PMI'm curious as to why Google translate calls this game Christmas eve story.
This game sort of has two titles even though it was only released in Japan. The English title is Anearth Fantasy Stories, but the Japanese title is "Seiya Monogatari". "Monogatari" just means story or tale, but "Seiya" actually means literally "holy night" and in reality is used to refer to Christmas Eve.

As you see in a lot of Japanese games, Anearth Fantasy Stories twists Christianity into the plot in its own weird way. It opens on this "holy night" where a baby is left on some church steps, to be picked up by one of four groups of people, revealed as a savior, and raised into the ass-kicking hero who (surprise) saves the world from a big bad guy.

SamIAm

I have been working on this a lot over the past few days.

I'm thinking of posting updates more frequently, not as a grab at attention, but because it might motivate me to put in more time. I don't want to clog up this subforum, but logging my progress might encourage me. Just something like this:

February 26: Two hours translating. Primarily early dialogue for Priest scenario.

...on a regular basis. If I don't post for a while, you guys can berate me. Seriously, not wanting to embarrass myself works wonders. I have the time (my job involves lots of waiting), I just need the motivation.

esteban

Quote from: SamIAm on 02/26/2015, 05:15 AMI have been working on this a lot over the past few days.

I'm thinking of posting updates more frequently, not as a grab at attention, but because it might motivate me to put in more time. I don't want to clog up this subforum, but logging my progress might encourage me. Just something like this:

February 26: Two hours translating. Primarily early dialogue for Priest scenario.

...on a regular basis. If I don't post for a while, you guys can berate me. Seriously, not wanting to embarrass myself works wonders. I have the time (my job involves lots of waiting), I just need the motivation.
You asked for it. We are going to pester you.

:)

deubeul

Dicer

Quote from: SamIAm on 02/26/2015, 05:15 AMI have been working on this a lot over the past few days.

Go go go... we admire the dedication and the work, I'd help if I had any possible way to do so, I am giddy at the prospect of these projects getting finished.

Keeping people up to date is never a bad thing.

seieienbu

Short little updates like that are pretty nice and I wouldn't say are any worse at clogging up the boards than anything else.  It's on topic and shows the progress rather well.  Of course if I had to choose between a guy working on something or writing about working on something I'd generally choose the former, however a small status update wouldn't ever get in the way.

spenoza

You should call your updates TPS reports, and when we get on you about doing those TPS reports, well... You know what happens next.

SamIAm

Feb. 27th: An hour and a half. Into the second town, finally.

(The first town has, about four towns worth of dialogue at least, because of all the different characters you can start as.)

SamIAm

March 1st: 45 minutes. More work on the second town.

whisper2053

I just started playing though this (er...I should say 'attempt' to play through this...using a walkthrough always seems to defeat my enthusiasm), and this is amazing news, sir. I *greatly* look forward to one day being able to give this the full attention it deserves!
IMG
My Retro Gaming Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/whisper2053

SamIAm

March 3rd. 45 minutes. I don't even know where in the game.

SamIAm

March 4th: 30 minutes. Some extra dialogue for the first main town.

spenoza

ParanoiaDragon

Yeaaahhh..& OH, almost forgot!  I'm going to need you to play it over the weekend as well, that'd be great.
IMG

SamIAm

March 5th: 90 minutes. swordsman scenario dialogue.

SamIAm

March 7th: Two hours. Finishing up second town stuff

whisper2053

Definitely looking like a lot of progress being made!

Granted, I don't know *anything* about the translation/hacking process, but it certainly looks good on 'paper' though :)
IMG
My Retro Gaming Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/whisper2053

NecroPhile

Nice steady progress, unlike anything I do that sits for months between activity.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

SamIAm

March 10th. One hour or so. First major dungeon and nearby village stuff.

Opethian

Quote from: guest on 03/09/2015, 10:19 AMNice steady progress, unlike anything I do that sits for months between activity.
*cough*motteke*cough*

nice job sam I never played through this one cant wait to see the final product!
IMG

SamIAm

March 14th: 90 minutes. Not translating, but combing through the savestate library for undumped stuff.

We're actually quite close to having it all dumped.

esteban

Quote from: SamIAm on 03/14/2015, 05:39 AMMarch 14th: 90 minutes. Not translating, but combing through the savestate library for undumped stuff.

We're actually quite close to having it all dumped.
Take a break and play some Virtual Boy boxing.

SamIAm

Quote from: esteban on 03/14/2015, 06:42 AMTake a break and play some Virtual Boy boxing.
Yes, sir!

Actually, I just did a quick 20 minutes of translating. I often have down time at work, and I want to stay in the habit of using it to translate.

The only current problem with the script dump is that there are some special words in the game that are highlighted yellow, then are followed by a symbol. Almost every item of importance is displayed this way, even when brought up during normal conversations. Apparently, the game uses a weird sort of dictionary for these, but I don't know the details.

Anyway, in the dump, these are not only missing, but any remaining conversation that follows one of these is missing, so it adds up to being quite a lot. The scenes tend to be important, too.

Regardless, I'd estimate the dump to be about 70% complete, and the first draft of the translation is currently at 1/3 of the current dump. When this problem gets fixed, I think we'll have 90-95% of the script.

M1Savage

All the magic scrolls, gear and special items are shown that way in the game (yellow text followed by a picture of said item) so yep, very important. Carry on!

seieienbu

Perhaps this is a dumb question, but do you play through the game before trying to translate dumped text?  Just curious;  I would imagine that doing so would help you see what text goes where and what text is missing.

SamIAm

Quote from: seieienbu on 03/16/2015, 04:31 AMPerhaps this is a dumb question, but do you play through the game before trying to translate dumped text?  Just curious;  I would imagine that doing so would help you see what text goes where and what text is missing.
Oh yeah, I've played this before. But it's a lot harder to remember every scene than you might imagine...especially when the script dump doesn't even include the names of the characters speaking the lines, which is the case here.

Also, there are minor differences between the scenarios depending on which of the four characters you chose to play as, and I haven't (and likely won't) play all four scenarios. I don't have that kind of time at home, sadly.

pnauts

IMG

SamIAm

March 22nd: 90-ish minutes. I think I've got everything for the first three towns and the first dungeon area done.

SamIAm

March 24th. 30 minutes. Not much, but I am into the 4th town now. It's the port town, for those of you who know the game.