The "I've got my PYRAMID PLUNDER" Thread

Started by _Paul, 03/13/2013, 01:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NightWolve

Quote from: Keranu on 03/13/2013, 04:31 PMThat is hands down the coolest homebrew packaging art! Love everything about it, especially the 80's style font!
Yeah, purty cool, looks very professional/authentic. I do find the "Prepare for your greatest adventure!" marketing bit a little suspect, though... ;) But yeah, it is very cool to see that fans can produce CD games for an old system and get them pressed.

esteban

HOLY LORD THIS RELEASE SOUNDS SO SAHHHHWEEEEEET. :pcgs:

IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

OldMan

QuoteA save file that isn't in all uppercase???
Is it supposed to be all uppercase? I swear I remember a few games being mixed case.....
I'm just sorry it's such a big file. That's  what happens when you save 40 scores.

Quote(running from those damn skeletons is quite exciting - and a pain they keep getting me)
Try using the dash button, and make some turns.

jlued686

It's a maze-style game, yes. But I wouldn't exactly call it a Pac-Man clone. It's closer to something like Cratermaze, IMO.

Mishran

Quote from: TheOldMan on 03/15/2013, 08:47 PM
Is it supposed to be all uppercase? I swear I remember a few games being mixed case.....
Just that every game I've played so far had the save files in all uppercase. I figured they were all like that. Not a big deal, just felt like picking is all. It's all good. :wink:

Game is great and a lot of fun, that's what really matters. Poses a challenge in the later levels which is good.

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: Mishran on 03/16/2013, 10:19 AM
Quote from: TheOldMan on 03/15/2013, 08:47 PM
Just that every game I've played so far had the save files in all uppercase. I figured they were all like that. Not a big deal, just felt like picking is all. It's all good. :wink:

Game is great and a lot of fun, that's what really matters. Poses a challenge in the later levels which is good.
\o/

Mission Accomplished.

bing .net/th?id=H.4974749857809085&pid=15.1
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Bernie

Keranu

Mine arrived! Happy to be Psycho Arkhan's guinea pig for the (INSANELY SWEET!) poster packaging!

IMG

The game arrived in one piece too. Aside from the sticky residue left on the front case from the packaging tape, there aren't any cracks, broken hinges or anything.

This was a really, really well done effort! The poster looks like it could easily pass as 80's/90's full page ad you'd find a gaming magazine, from the fleshed out hand drawn art down to the energy-driven marketing!

Amazing stuff, Aetherbyte raises the bar again! :D
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

ParanoiaDragon

I'd like to get that poster, but I already have a plethora of posters that I have no wear to hang. :?
IMG

Arkhan Asylum

Yeah, the sticky residue kinda sucks.  But, it was that or let the game flop around and break the poster.

It should come off, I hope.  If not, we can fix that.

I'm glad it arrived in one piece though.   The poster boxes are goofy.  They should've just made square ones.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

esteban

Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 03/16/2013, 10:58 PMThe poster boxes are goofy.  They should've just made square ones.
TELL ME MORE about this poster. As Keranu said, it perfectly captures the days of yore (which I love)...specifically, who created the artwork I see (zombie-cum-alien-cum-little-shop-le-horrors).

Anyway, the presentation in the poster is spot-on perfect (to my tastes, anyway) as a tongue-in-cheek homage to a past era.

TELL ME MORE. I love hearing about the process of designing/creating this stuff (source material/iterations/revisions/etc.) :pcgs:

Thanks in advance.

_Paul

The main image for the poster is one I originally painted for Inferno, it seemed appropriate to use it on this. The cheesy retro 80s triangles were something I seem to remember from old adverts somewhere so they seemed perfect to get that feel along with the cringeworthy strapline.

esteban

Quote from: guest on 03/17/2013, 07:20 AMThe main image for the poster is one I originally painted for Inferno, it seemed appropriate to use it on this. The cheesy retro 80s triangles were something I seem to remember from old adverts somewhere so they seemed perfect to get that feel along with the cringeworthy strapline.
Triangles + vibrant color + fun = 80's :pcgs:

I love the painting. LOVE IT! :pcgs:

Not that I have seen it in detail, in its entirety, mind you. :pcgs:

_Paul

Quote from: esteban on 03/17/2013, 09:45 AM
Quote from: guest on 03/17/2013, 07:20 AMThe main image for the poster is one I originally painted for Inferno, it seemed appropriate to use it on this. The cheesy retro 80s triangles were something I seem to remember from old adverts somewhere so they seemed perfect to get that feel along with the cringeworthy strapline.

http://sunteam.deviantart.com/art/Inferno-357682467

esteban

Quote from: guest on 03/17/2013, 10:19 AM
Quote from: esteban on 03/17/2013, 09:45 AM

http://sunteam.deviantart.com/art/Inferno-357682467
HOT DAMN ON RYE! Literally. That is what I see in the painting. THANK YOU.

:pcgs: :pcgs: :pcgs:

kiketonto

Got mine too. I received today, and comes with the  CD!  :dance:
Good music! Huge map! Dash button! Strategic Puzzle!
Great game!

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: kiketonto on 03/18/2013, 01:40 PMGot mine too. I received today, and comes with the  CD!  :dance:
Good music! Huge map! Dash button! Strategic Puzzle!
Great game!
Yay!

Glad at least one person likes the tunes so far.

Also, the unlucky test copy recipient was discovered, so noone has to worry anymore. :D

kiketonto

Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 03/18/2013, 01:43 PMGlad at least one person likes the tunes so far.
Man, the first notes are Indy Jones, that likes everyone.
or at least it should.

Arkhan Asylum

:D  Yeah, I thought it was funny, so I left it in. 

OldMan removed it from the loop though, because I think it annoyed him after awhile, lol.

jlued686

The music makes me laugh; and I mean that in a good way. I find myself humming along with it because it's pretty fun.

Anyway, I had my kid play this the other night. He's five and really getting into video games. I've had him play other "old-school" games like Bomberman and Bonk, and he's been pretty enthusiastic about them. But when he discovered that he could try to beat my high score in Pyramid Plunder, suddenly the game became even more appealing for him. He's now playing it with purpose!

Poor kid, though... Right now, the high score table looks like this (After the few stock initials, of course):

JAL
EAL
EAL
EAL
EAL

He just can't seem to knock his old man off the mountain quite yet!

Speaking of of the high score initials, I noticed "ARK" in there. Is there any significance to the other initials?

Arkhan Asylum

They're people who earned highscores during testing. :)

OldMan

QuoteOldMan removed it from the loop though, because I think it annoyed him after awhile, lol.
Mostly because it didn't sound right looping back to the indiana jones homage.
But yeah, it got pretty annoying/jarring.

QuoteSpeaking of of the high score initials, I noticed "ARK" in there. Is there any significance to the other initials?
All of the 'real' scores (ie, not even thousands/hundreds ) are real people who played the game.
Most of the others are people I know.
But no one made the high score table on suicide mode, so that's just an ad :)

turboswimbz

The Music has grown on me, actually every time I play it I enjoy it a bit more.
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)
BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere. You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

Opethian

IMG
cross posting for  awesome thanks man!!
IMG

mrhaboobi

game arrived, havent heard or seen anything on my MSR, GRRRR!! :)  game looks great, and that poster is sweet, wishing  i had of gotten that aswell ;)
Looking for (MINT ONLY)
US Manual : Magical Chase, Shockman 
US Box : Turrican,  Soldier Blade, New Adventure Island, Neutopia II
Other : Sapphire OBI, Turbo Play Aug/Sept 90, April/May 92, Turbo Edge Spring 90

PC Engine Special Cards : Bomberman User Battle

Alydnes Super Grafx

OldMan

Someone should let them know that that's not the whole story.....And give the pce homebrewers some exposure.

http://games.slashdot.org/story/13/03/23/1529209/meet-the-gamers-keeping-retro-consoles-alive

Bernie

Are there any posters left?  I wants one!

CrackTiger

Quote from: TheOldMan on 03/23/2013, 01:20 PMSomeone should let them know that that's not the whole story.....And give the pce homebrewers some exposure.

http://games.slashdot.org/story/13/03/23/1529209/meet-the-gamers-keeping-retro-consoles-alive
Has there even ever been any published homebrew SNES games?
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

hoobs88

IMG

Mine arrived last week but I haven't had a chance to photograph it until today. Was the poster only available with pre-orders? I like the brief Indiana Jones theme music intro. Suicide mode is insane!
1 title needed for a complete US Turbo Grafx collection: Magical Chase
Parasol Stars High Score = 119,783,770
https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=9292.0
League of Legends Summoner Name = DeviousSideburns

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: hoobs88 on 03/23/2013, 04:31 PMIMG

Mine arrived last week but I haven't had a chance to photograph it until today. Was the poster only available with pre-orders? I like the brief Indiana Jones theme music intro. Suicide mode is insane!
Nah dude, there were no preorders.

If you want a poster, they're just 10$ + shipping

They have to be shipped in these big stupid boxes because they're posters, lol.

I posted on Slashdot.

Arkhan Asylum

Or not.  My comment is apparently gone.

Arkhan Asylum

Slashdot is dumb.

Anyway, if anyone reading wants a poster, just PM me about it.   They are 10$ each + shipping in those goofy ass priority tubes.

mrhaboobi

hey man, how much to ship to the other side of the world ( a poster that is? ) or can you push forward your next game release so that i can get the poster included with that ;)
Looking for (MINT ONLY)
Other : Sapphire OBI, Turbo Play Aug/Sept 90, April/May 92, Turbo Edge Spring 90

Alydnes Super Grafx

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: mrhaboobi on 03/26/2013, 07:45 PMhey man, how much to ship to the other side of the world ( a poster that is? ) or can you push forward your next game release so that i can get the poster included with that ;)
Where is other side of the world?  Australia?

It ranges between 11 and 15 bucks to tube these things internationally, first class.

Blame the USPS.  They're jerks.

mrhaboobi

well aussie is close.  NZ is where im talking
Looking for (MINT ONLY)

Alydnes Super Grafx

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: mrhaboobi on 03/26/2013, 11:30 PMwell aussie is close.  NZ is where im talking
Yeah it looks like it's about 13 bucks to ship these tubes over there, first class.

FiftyQuid

Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 03/26/2013, 11:24 PMBlame the USPS.  They're jerks.
I can confirm that this is an accurate statement.  I believe they get their training from Canada Post.
I'm busy playing pinball, but I still drop by to visit.

Arkhan Asylum

Their rates went up, and their customer service went down.

DesmondThe3rd

I got mine no problem despite Canadian shipping and it plays great. Damn, I wish I knew aboot the poster before ordering too, eh?

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: DesmondThe3rd on 03/29/2013, 01:02 PMI got mine no problem despite Canadian shipping and it plays great. Damn, I wish I knew aboot the poster before ordering too, eh?
:(

I am going to experiment this weekend with the poster boxes and see if I can get the shipping rate down by cutting the box size in half.

_Paul

You could always *gasp* fold them and offer cheaper options for envelope shipping. I know that sucks though.

Arkhan Asylum

Yeah.  Folding them would make it beyond easy to ship them out, but then you get a lame ass, super creased poster :(

Bardoly

Well, I got Pyramid Plunder a week ago, but other than a 2-minute try at MGC, I hadn't had a chance to play it until last night.  I really enjoy the dash button a lot.  The game seems too easy on 'Easy' mode and too difficult on 'Suicide' mode, so that's good I suppose.

Three immediate thoughts after playing it with a friend and one of my sons for about 45 minutes:

1.  This Pac-man clone is great!  Dash button and powerups are awesome!  Warps?  Cool!

2.  If there were some possible way that 2-player simultaneous and/or alternating were included in this game, then it would be even better.

3.  I wish that Lootin' Larry were always in the middle of the screen, rather than the screen only scrolling when he gets 'close to the edge.

Arkhan Asylum

You can change the scrolling.

You just have to find the cheat code first.

:)

OldMan

Quotewere some possible way that 2-player simultaneous and/or alternating were included in this game
Ummmm. I remember trying for 2 player alternating (simultaneous causes other, major problems), but iirc we were already pushing the memory limit on the ram page. Maybe next time :(

Quote....wish that Lootin' Larry were always in the middle of the screen,
Then how do you handle the situation where you need to move him right, but the screen can't scroll anymore?
There was a discussion about that already, and the scroll borders seem okay to about half the people who chimed in.
It does pay to check the radar map when you're close to the edge, though :)

QuoteYou just have to find the cheat code first.
Yes, the debug menu is still in there. You can change some of the game parameters, including the scroll area.
Just be aware: Cheating turns off the high-score save. And the free guy code is considered cheating, too :)

QuoteThe game seems too easy on 'Easy' mode and too difficult on 'Suicide' mode, so that's good I suppose.
<LOL> I can just barely beat it on Easy, starting with about 30 guys. (Yes, I suck at it). It's really there for people who just have to see the end-credits.
My high score on Suicide is about 700 pts. And I can't finish level 1 on Hard, either...

Arkhan Asylum

Suicideeeeeee *pew pew pew*

We should release a demo ISO of all our games on super-hard-modes so people can hate us forever.

Hopefully someone will figure out the debug menu soon :)

I don't think anyone figured out the life code in Insanity til I told someone, lol.

RayXambeR

Pyramide Plunder is a really good Pac-Man like. Usually I don't really love this type of game (except of Revival Chase of course, and all Lock'n chase clones) but here, the fact that you can speed the character and other good ideas (changing bonus item, etc.) put the game at a higher level.
Perhaps some levels are too big and the radar is not very useful in the action. Realization is really good (really like tha animation and the graphics of ennemies).

Keranu

Quote from: RayXambeR on 04/04/2013, 02:54 PMRealization is really good (really like tha animation and the graphics of ennemies).
Thanks! lol
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

SeymorOnion

Ya might wanna hit up google maps and try and find a local place that sells shipping supplies (not a UPS Store or USPS or Fedex/Kinkos). They usually have cheap poster tubes that you can cut down with a hacksaw or jigsaw, that'll qualify for first class international.

They might be called something like Boxes & More, or Moving Supplies, or Half Priced Boxes of "Insert town name here".

Arkhan Asylum

The USPS ones qualify as well, provided you wrap them in paper first.

The post office is so dumb.