Meteor Blaster DX Reprint

Started by jlued686, 04/02/2013, 09:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bernie

Damn!  Tetris sounds great!

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: VestCunt on 04/05/2013, 05:23 AMBT - I really appreciate your continued updates about this. Thanks for the PM too.

Are you dead set on a clear tray? I understand white is expensive, but black would be nice and it would at least match U.S. games.
Quote from: bt on 04/04/2013, 12:38 PMFor a PCE version of Xymati to happen, a lot of things would need to happen, not only in the game code, but also in the community.  .
I'm confused about the Xymati/Mindrec/Eponasoft relationship. It's great that you're considering work on Xymati again, but last I heard Fragmare and Eponasoft had already revived the project. I'm not even clear who Eponasoft is (a Rover side project?). Can anyone explain?
Eponasoft is Rover:

http://eponasoft.blogspot.com/

This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Bt Garner

Quote from: guest on 04/05/2013, 05:23 AMAre you dead set on a clear tray? I understand white is expensive, but black would be nice and it would at least match U.S. games.
MindRec has always used White Trays and tried to match the style of the Japanese releases (for artwork).  The backing art for the clear try is tasteful (in my opinion), it is a dense star field (this will show through to the front), and Coming Soon text, along with a few screen shots of Xymati.  The Xymati web address is also included (I need to get that site updated).

Quote from: guest on 04/05/2013, 05:23 AMI'm confused about the Xymati/Mindrec/Eponasoft relationship. It's great that you're considering work on Xymati again, but last I heard Fragmare and Eponasoft had already revived the project. I'm not even clear who Eponasoft is (a Rover side project?). Can anyone explain?
Here is the abbreviated history of Xymati.

2005: The concept of the game was started.  FraG and I bounced a lot of ideas back and forth, the basic game scenario was my idea, FraG came up with the multiple weapons and GFX to match.
2006: initial tests of Xy on the PCE were proving to be challenging, and times was short on my end.
2009: My life fell apart (literally): I was downsized, there were medical issues (started in 2008), and MAJOR family problems.  Only one of these issues has been resolved to date.
2009/2010: I released a few iPhone apps, and started thinking about Xymati again
2011: started doing so proof of concept work with XNA that proved promising
2012: started porting MSL3 to XNA, and working on the game itself.

Somewhere in the 2011-2012 timeframe I told FraG that the PCE version was not working out, and was going to focus on the PC/Xbox version.  He reluctantly agreed and started (without my knowledge) working with Rover on the PCE version.  I am not against this, but I have also not had any conversations with anyone about it, so I do not know what the status of it is, what their goals are, or how closely it is going to resemble the PC version.

At no time have I ever said that the PCE version was not going to happen.  As I have maintained all along, my goal is to make "PCE Like Games" for modern hardware.  The reason for this is simple: I doubt that there are that many PCE/Duo owners out there who do not own some sort of modern console, and the life expectancy of that hardware is much longer than the ever increasing number of Duos out there.  I want people to be able to play this game, and enjoy it.  For the limited PCE market, that number is 300-400.  For the PC/Xbox, that number is in the millions.

There was also the CDR issue for a long time too, I was not going to publish another PCE CDR title, it sounds like that may no longer be an issue.  Yeah for that, at least.

SMF

Ok I guess im an idiot, I keep trying to sign up but I get error messages lol. I will see what I can do. Love to get a worry free copy to play in my Duo.
Welcome to Prime Time B!tch

VestCunt

Quote from: bt on 04/05/2013, 12:23 PMHere is the abbreviated history of Xymati.
Thank you!
Topic Adjourned.

Mishran

I, as well as a bunch of others, would love to see an Ultima IV style RPG for the PCE. It was talked about on here, but has never happened. Someone here is sitting on his hands about the idea though...

:wink:

esteban

Quote from: bt on 04/05/2013, 12:23 PM
Quote from: guest on 04/05/2013, 05:23 AMAre you dead set on a clear tray? I understand white is expensive, but black would be nice and it would at least match U.S. games.
MindRec has always used White Trays and tried to match the style of the Japanese releases (for artwork).  The backing art for the clear try is tasteful (in my opinion), it is a dense star field (this will show through to the front), and Coming Soon text, along with a few screen shots of Xymati.  The Xymati web address is also included (I need to get that site updated).
bt, I wouldn't worry much about the jewel case itself, since folks can always swap out the inner plastic tray to any color their precious hearts desire at any given point. It's a simple solution. :pcgs:

Let me be selfish and just say that I am more interested in the game itself, and I am so pleased that you have reprinted it ...I've been listening to music from MB DX for years, but I haven't played the actual game on my hardware more than a handful of times (call me paranoid, or daft, or both).

I gotta order this, now.

QuoteHere is the abbreviated history of Xymati.

2005: The concept of the game was started.  FraG and I bounced a lot of ideas back and forth, the basic game scenario was my idea, FraG came up with the multiple weapons and GFX to match.

We appreciate this info; it truly helps put things into perspective. The development history of any game becomes hazy with each passing year, coupled with the senility plaguing the older folks on this forum...well, you know. Most people were mostly clueless about most things most of the time.

One, swift post cleared everything up. :pcds:

MOST IMPORTANT QUESTION IN THE WORLD: Do the names of the music tracks have any formal/informal titles? Or have they always been referred to by their respective string of numbers (a legacy from development/coding)? I have grown fond of the numbers-as-titles (machines-creating-art-vibe), but, sadly, I can't always differentiate between the titles of the tracks until I listen to a bit of them. Ha! My poor brain.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Bt Garner

Quote from: esteban on 04/07/2013, 08:50 AMMOST IMPORTANT QUESTION IN THE WORLD: Do the names of the music tracks have any formal/informal titles? Or have they always been referred to by their respective string of numbers (a legacy from development/coding)? I have grown fond of the numbers-as-titles (machines-creating-art-vibe), but, sadly, I can't always differentiate between the titles of the tracks until I listen to a bit of them. Ha! My poor brain.
They have titles:(that covers most of them, there may be a few left over tracks on

esteban

Quote from: bt on 04/07/2013, 12:17 PM
Quote from: esteban on 04/07/2013, 08:50 AMMOST IMPORTANT QUESTION IN THE WORLD: Do the names of the music tracks have any formal/informal titles? Or have they always been referred to by their respective string of numbers (a legacy from development/coding)? I have grown fond of the numbers-as-titles (machines-creating-art-vibe), but, sadly, I can't always differentiate between the titles of the tracks until I listen to a bit of them. Ha! My poor brain.
They have titles:(that covers most of them, there may be a few left over tracks on
Thank you! Awesome. :pcds:
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Bt Garner

I have received word back from the CD Pressing plant, and apparently the CD Mastering software did nto like the CD masters I sent.  When I asked for clarification, they replied that "They failed Eclipse."

Yeah, I could have told them that Eclipse would have failed  back when I first contacted them.   Awaiting word on next steps..

Arkhan Asylum

That's interesting that they're actually using the word Eclipse when reporting the error, as they didn't seem to do that with Keranu when MSR had issues.   But then again, the error reporting seems to be pretty hit/miss.

We could probably help straighten it out if you need. 
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Bt Garner

Quote from: guest on 04/08/2013, 02:16 PMThat's interesting that they're actually using the word Eclipse when reporting the error, as they didn't seem to do that with Keranu when MSR had issues.   But then again, the error reporting seems to be pretty hit/miss.

We could probably help straighten it out if you need. 
Any help you can offer would be appreciated.

A sample Cue sheet that you used (that worked?

Any additional info that I can provide them to get what I sent them to work.. .

It's 2004 all over again!

thank you.

Arkhan Asylum

well for starts, can they give you actual error messages instead of "It broked"?

if it's failing because of overlaps, that shouldn't be much to sort out.

also, can you describe how you made the master?

Bt Garner

Still awaiting that info from them.  Apparently the person I have been dealing with takes a late lunch.

Bernie

Quote from: bt on 04/08/2013, 02:50 PMStill awaiting that info from them.  Apparently the person I have been dealing with takes a late lunch.
Damn bastard!!!  :)

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: bt on 04/08/2013, 02:50 PMStill awaiting that info from them.  Apparently the person I have been dealing with takes a late lunch.
Who's your duder. 

Man, we've never had problems with them aside from:

Insanity:  The discs had a surface scuff so they refused to even try it.  Had to reburn the discs and make sure no little knicks happened.
PP: Someone said the disc wouldn't play in a CD player so I said "duh. its not supposed to.  Proceed.", and then they went OH, ok!  and then went "hey yeah its fine."

I included a note with the discs but apparently that note was lost in the shuffle between handlers.

Bt Garner

Quote from: guest on 04/08/2013, 03:05 PMWho's your duder. 
Dave was the original guy, but lately all contact has come from Shelly.  Or in context, lack of contact has not come from Shelly.

Arkhan Asylum

Dave was who I had the second time.

First time was Brian.

Hopefully we get some good info back. 

Bt Garner

Just received this cryptic response:

"Sending the physical masters straight to shop to cut metal. (no uploading)"

Um, okay, so we're back on?

NecroPhile

Tell those fuckers to lay off of the Lone Stars and speak plain English.  :lol:
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Bt Garner

Quote from: guest on 04/08/2013, 04:55 PMTell those fuckers to lay off of the Lone Stars and speak plain English.  :lol:
Some folks just do NOT know when to quit Spring Break.

OldMan

Quote"Sending the physical masters straight to shop to cut metal. (no uploading)"
Um, okay, so we're back on?
Yep. They're cutting the metal master mold to press the discs. Hope everything is okay <crossed fingers>

Arkhan Asylum

Hopefully they didn't just decide to press on without verifying that it's OK, lol.

That would be lame when 300 busted discs show up.

roflmao

Thanks for the links to the soundtracks on soundcloud, and the brief history lesson!  Hope all goes well with the new pressing.  I'll be ordering as soon as they are available. :D

Bernie

Quote from: guest on 04/09/2013, 08:36 PMThanks for the links to the soundtracks on soundcloud, and the brief history lesson!  Hope all goes well with the new pressing.  I'll be ordering as soon as they are available. :D
Me too!  :)

Bt Garner

Thanks guys, I will keep you informed as I learn more ....though a part of me just expects a large shipment to arrive at my door without too much announcement ....

Tatsujin

thx bt, now myself too will get the chance to have my hands on a copy some day /bazzy.gif
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

Bt Garner

Wow, Nationwide are just a pain the ass to work with.

After not hearing anything from them for a week, I wrote to as about their case pack and schedule for MB.

This was their response:

Since your gaming disc did not pass Eclipse, they will cut metal, but they are wanting to provide a one-off replicated sample for review prior to pressing the batch.

One-off (triple digit price deleted)

Please let me know if this is acceptable to proceed.

Classic redirection.  But seriously?  You guys said you could do this, you *have* done it ... and you still want to charge me an additional 30% over the agreed upon price?

Arkhan Asylum

That's what MSR went through also.

Tell them hell no on that option.  The disc should be able to pass eclipse.

Bt Garner

Quote from: guest on 04/16/2013, 10:39 AMThat's what MSR went through also.

Tell them hell no on that option.  The disc should be able to pass eclipse.
I have a well thought out response that I am waiting a few more minutes before sending that basically says "No, we agreed to this, changing the terms now is not acceptable."

Arkhan Asylum

yeah.  Did they ever give specific errors from Eclipse?

Bt Garner

Quote from: guest on 04/16/2013, 11:31 AMyeah.  Did they ever give specific errors from Eclipse?
Nope.

They are pretty bad at communicating.  I still don't know what the case pack is.

Arkhan Asylum

Have you asked specifically?  It's really strange, given the MSR pressing issues.

They gave specific errors out when that occurred.

Bt Garner

Quote from: guest on 04/16/2013, 12:47 PMHave you asked specifically?  It's really strange, given the MSR pressing issues.

They gave specific errors out when that occurred.
Yup.  Here is the message I just sent them where I quote the April 8 email asking about the errors:

This is not acceptable.

The agreement we have is that you would be able to replicate this type of CD at the agreed upon price, I do not appreciate the nickel and diming that is going on this point (although a 31% increase in price may push this beyond nickel and diming).

I provided you with a master CD which is compliant for the CD specification. Your software not being capable of supporting the full CD specification should not be the reason for you to keep me liable for a master failure, especially after assuring me that replicating this format of CD would not be a problem.  David knew ahead of time that this format was not within the realm of what Eclipse deems "Standard," and failed to mention that there would be any additional fees for replicating this format of CD.

I asked for the Eclipse error that you encountered (Apr 8: "Can you provide specific error information?") and I never did receive a reply to that question.  I was asking in an effort to help sort things or, or find an alternative layout that would be acceptable to both Eclipse and the systems for which these CDs are intended.

I went through a lot of effort to get the CD and artwork ready (ahead of my expected schedule) in order to meet the guidelines you have set out for replication.  Changing those guidelines and prices at this point is not appreciated.

Please advice on what we can do to resolve this issue as quickly as possible with a minimal amount of risk to both of our interests.  I have made every effort possible to show goodwill and work with you through this order, and would appreciate the same in return.

Fingers crossed.

Arkhan Asylum

ParanoiaDragon

Ugh, too bad you can't go to the factory itself, or maybe Skype them while they're working on it! :P
IMG

Bt Garner

They basically wrote back and said I had  three choices.

1.  Fix the errors so that eclipse did not give errors, or
2.  Pay the one off fee (which went up to $350) or
3. Have the order canceled

Considering that I cannot fix the Eclipse errors (since I do not even know what they are), they really did not give me any choice at all.

Last I heard, my masters were going to be returned to me.

VestCunt

Don't throw in the towel over one email exchange.

What your contact is calling a "fee", the contact for MSR simply recommended. You're dealing with the Three Stooges over there. They'll get it right eventually, but you've got to be persistent, take your time, and keep talking to multiple people until you find someone more accommodating. If you had been here for the hundred-plus-page MSR thread, you'd have a better perspective.

1) Keep talking to people until they give you the errors. When you find out what the errors are, forward them to Aetherbyte.
or
2) Insist that you don't need a test pressing and tell them to replicate the order. I have the MSR test pressing and it plays like a champ.
Topic Adjourned.

OldMan

QuoteYou're dealing with the Three Stooges over there.
I couldn't have said it better myself :)

Keranu

Also, very important, try to call them whenever possible! They're still pretty dumb on the phone, but at least you won't have to wait a week or longer for a response. I have no idea what this fee they're trying to pull on you is, it was never brought up to us during MSR, and we're getting the same old Eclipse shit too. As long as your time gaps and whatever else is accurate, there should not be a problem.
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

VestCunt

Quote from: Keranu on 04/16/2013, 09:38 PMI have no idea what this fee they're trying to pull on you is, it was never brought up to us during MSR,
They're trying to sell him the check disc.
Topic Adjourned.

CrackTiger

The game won't be produced correctly unless it has errors. But you have to confirm that it's only the expected ones. Even if you're up for a test disc, there's no point having one made until it sounds like they got it down to the correct format first. With Mysterious Song they said that a test disc must be purchased first, due to the unique format, or else they would not proceed. The salesman did drop the price though and a PCEFX forum raffle for the test disc (and a couple bonus prizes) covered the cost of it.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

TheClash603

Check disc raffle 2.0?

Seems like this might have to become a homebrew tradition!

Bt Garner

Quote from: guest on 04/16/2013, 11:42 PMThe game won't be produced correctly unless it has errors. But you have to confirm that it's only the expected ones. Even if you're up for a test disc, there's no point having one made until it sounds like they got it down to the correct format first. With Mysterious Song they said that a test disc must be purchased first, due to the unique format, or else they would not proceed. The salesman did drop the price though and a PCEFX forum raffle for the test disc (and a couple bonus prizes) covered the cost of it.
Yeah, they upped the price for me . ...went from $195 to $350.  Lovely people.

jlued686

WTF? Really? Did you respond, "What happened to $195?"

Anyway, I hope you don't give up. Arkhan seems to have the magic touch with these people, so hopefully he can help out somehow.

Bt Garner

Quote from: guest on 04/17/2013, 02:50 PMWTF? Really? Did you respond, "What happened to $195?"
There response to this question : "I quoted you the wrong price."

Arkhan Asylum

To be fair, we never had any actual disc layout issues, so we have never had to experience that portion of things first-hand.

They didn't specifically mention Eclipse in MSR's case. 

The disc should be pressable without error.

Bt Garner

Well, all is not lost ... not yet anyway.  I have found another CD pressing house.. .yes they use Eclipse.  However this one has one big difference,  The owner is a 20+ year TurboDuo fan.  I will be sending him a master tomorrow and working with him to figure out how to proceed.

Bernie

Bardoly

Quote from: bt on 04/17/2013, 08:29 PMWell, all is not lost ... not yet anyway.  I have found another CD pressing house.. .yes they use Eclipse.  However this one has one big difference,  The owner is a 20+ year TurboDuo fan.  I will be sending him a master tomorrow and working with him to figure out how to proceed.
That's great news!

(Now you just need to talk him into acquiring the rights to some of the CD games which need a press run and then press 'em.   [-o&lt;   )