RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

What PC-Engine Stuff did you get today?

Started by Shadow, 04/03/2013, 09:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

esteban

Quote from: SuperGrafx on 09/15/2014, 08:24 PMBrand new copy of Bikkuriman Daijikai (CD)

Pretty awesome getting a factory fresh game that was originally from 1988/1989! :)
IMG
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Samuray

Just got these!

IMG
2K: imageuuu6e.jpg

Yeah, I'm aware "Lords" is US and its photo would belong in the other sub forum, but I hope we can let it slide.

Anyway, I posting this because not only did I FINALLY get "Dracula X" for a decent price, but it triggered a nice family moment: So I'm sitting downstairs in my cinema / game room and try out all these new games. Meanwhile my wife and son (three years old) come home, he of course runs into my room and he sees "Dracula X" running on the Sony CRT.

Since I played a few minutes of NES with him recently, of course he wants to play this too, and I let him. Sure, he can't do much yet, a bit of walking, couple of jumps, but he loves it nonetheless.

Anyway, the point is: We go back upstairs and he can't wait to tell my wife that THIS is his favorite game. Well....good taste, young'un!  :dance:

SuperGrafx

Quote from: esteban on 09/16/2014, 09:27 PM
Quote from: SuperGrafx on 09/15/2014, 08:24 PMBrand new copy of Bikkuriman Daijikai (CD)

Pretty awesome getting a factory fresh game that was originally from 1988/1989! :)
IMG
=D>

nosorrow

With the PayPal money I received from selling my copy of Earthbound, I added Gate of Thunder (and PS2 Treasure Box collection).

Soon, I'll have in my possession: the aforementioned GoT, Spriggan, GunHed, Nexzr, Dracula X and Final Soldier.

Next on the list: Soldier Blade, Super Star Soldier, Sylphia, Devil Crash and (maybe) Image Fight II.

SuperGrafx

Brand new / sealed copy of Youkai Douchuuki (Shadowland).

SuperPlay

A few more Audio Soundtracks

IMG

Dragon Knight III: http://vgmdb.net/album/3040

Final Takahashi RX: http://vgmdb.net/album/10594
Final Takahashi RX: http://woodsoft.jp/html/ftakahashi.html

Saint Dragon (arcade): http://vgmdb.net/album/589

Super Takahashi: http://vgmdb.net/album/12725
Super Takahashi: http://woodsoft.jp/html/stakahashi.html

esteban

SuperPlay

Quote from: esteban on 09/20/2014, 12:16 PMSt. Dragon—chiptunes? Or MORE?!
It's the Arcade Soundtrack.

I have updated my original post with a few links and have pinged you over a PM

esteban

Quote from: SuperPlay on 09/21/2014, 07:13 AM
Quote from: esteban on 09/20/2014, 12:16 PMSt. Dragon—chiptunes? Or MORE?!
It's the Arcade Soundtrack.

I have updated my original post with a few links and have pinged you over a PM
L'awesome.  IMG

xcrement5x

Quote from: SuperPlay on 09/20/2014, 12:08 PMA few more Audio Soundtracks

IMG

Dragon Knight III: http://vgmdb.net/album/3040

Final Takahashi RX: http://vgmdb.net/album/10594
Final Takahashi RX: http://woodsoft.jp/html/ftakahashi.html

Saint Dragon (arcade): http://vgmdb.net/album/589

Super Takahashi: http://vgmdb.net/album/12725
Super Takahashi: http://woodsoft.jp/html/stakahashi.html
I thought that was a woodsoft CD!  I've been trying to find their doujin albums when I can, they're definitely not that common.

wolfman

Quote from: esteban on 09/11/2014, 09:39 PM
Quote from: wolfman on 09/11/2014, 12:18 PM
Quote from: guest on 09/09/2014, 05:51 PMPlease take and share some pics!
Ok, here it is. Just a quick one, cause I only have time on sunday for it this week  :wink:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/65709578@N06/sets/72157647073096347/

Box and inserts not pictured. I received it CIB.
L'Awesome!

I am still confused about how the IFU-30 suitcase attaches to the ROM ROM AMP. When you get a chance, please take a few pick of the mounting apparatus.

Thank you!
Hey, sorry for my late post. Was quite busy the last couple of weeks.

The IFU doesn´t really "attach" to it. You get 2 pieces of plastic that slide into holes on the ROM2 AMP. They are moulded in a way that you just lay the suitcase on top of it, e.g. there is no "click" or pin pushed in or lock switching.

It is just that simple and at the same time doesn´t look cheap. You can take off the suitcase anytime you want without hitting a button. Plus the ROM2 AMP has an additional power outlet, thru which one could power the whole IFU as well. A maximum of 100W is possible.

Since I live in Europe I bought a switching adapter that outputs 100V from a 230V line, quite cheap (I think I didn´t pay more than 15 Euros for it) also. Stay away from the obvious china fakes - best place is Amazon where I live.
recent addition: Japanese Language Skills, A1 proficiency level
-------------------------------------------------------------
CryptoCoin Warrior
My Setup: PC Engine LT, CD-ROM², IFU-30
AKA woolfman on AtariAge, PlanetVB, Circuit-Board.

esteban

Quote from: wolfman on 10/01/2014, 03:22 PM
Quote from: esteban on 09/11/2014, 09:39 PM
Quote from: wolfman on 09/11/2014, 12:18 PM
Quote from: guest on 09/09/2014, 05:51 PMPlease take and share some pics!
Ok, here it is. Just a quick one, cause I only have time on sunday for it this week  :wink:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/65709578@N06/sets/72157647073096347/

Box and inserts not pictured. I received it CIB.
L'Awesome!

I am still confused about how the IFU-30 suitcase attaches to the ROM ROM AMP. When you get a chance, please take a few pick of the mounting apparatus.

Thank you!
Hey, sorry for my late post. Was quite busy the last couple of weeks.

The IFU doesn´t really "attach" to it. You get 2 pieces of plastic that slide into holes on the ROM2 AMP. They are moulded in a way that you just lay the suitcase on top of it, e.g. there is no "click" or pin pushed in or lock switching.

It is just that simple and at the same time doesn´t look cheap. You can take off the suitcase anytime you want without hitting a button. Plus the ROM2 AMP has an additional power outlet, thru which one could power the whole IFU as well. A maximum of 100W is possible.

Since I live in Europe I bought a switching adapter that outputs 100V from a 230V line, quite cheap (I think I didn´t pay more than 15 Euros for it) also. Stay away from the obvious china fakes - best place is Amazon where I live.
Interesting.  :pcgs:

If you could take a series of 3-4 photos showing how this works, I would be grateful. Yes, I am that interested in the silly AMP AMP ROM ROM  :pcgs:

ROM ROM AMP

wolfman

Quote from: esteban on 10/01/2014, 04:10 PMInteresting.  :pcgs:

If you could take a series of 3-4 photos showing how this works, I would be grateful. Yes, I am that interested in the silly AMP AMP ROM ROM  :pcgs:

ROM ROM AMP
:-)  Ok, I'll see to it.
recent addition: Japanese Language Skills, A1 proficiency level
CryptoCoin Warrior
My Setup: PC Engine LT, CD-ROM², IFU-30
AKA woolfman on AtariAge, PlanetVB, Circuit-Board.

dallaspattern

Scored a console and a few games at a garage sale. Stoked to finally have one!

HailingTheThings

Quote from: dallaspattern on 10/04/2014, 08:16 PMScored a console and a few games at a garage sale. Stoked to finally have one!
Please, oh please write a song about it, Chad, please?
IMG

dallaspattern

ahem

(to the tune of Photograph, the number one single of all time)

LOOK AT THIS VIDEO GAME
EVERY TIME I DO I FEEL ASHAMED
I SHOULDA NEVER SOLD EM OFF
TEN YEARS AGO WHEN I WAS BACK IN SCHOOL
HAD TO REBUY JJ AND JEFF
HAD TO EBAY BONKS REVENGE
KIJIJI BECAME MY BEST FRIEND
GOT A SPARE COPY OF MAGICAL CHASE
AHHHH YEEEEAAAAAAAAHHHHHH

Thank you thank you, there's a reason I'm a millionaire and you are not

HailingTheThings

That was grrrreat, now please, go eff your soon to be ex-wife.
IMG

SuperPlay

Medic_wheat

Quote from: SuperPlay on 10/05/2014, 11:43 AMFew Games:

IMG

Monster Make Guide:

IMG
Man how I wish the monster maker series came to the us.

dallaspattern

Quote from: HailingTheThings on 10/05/2014, 02:08 AMThat was grrrreat, now please, go eff your soon to be ex-wife.
We broke up long ago. She wasn't a fan of my sultry voice and tasty guitar licks.

NightWolve

Quote from: nosorrow on 09/15/2014, 06:36 AMRandom question: is it truly not recommended to use the official Japanese PC Engine Duo-R power supply in North America? Doujindance (eBay seller) says one must use another power supply (e.g. X'Eye, Genesis model 2, etc.) for it to be less risky or something. What do you guys use/recommended?

Thanks in advance.
I recommend upgrading to a regulated model, there is worthwhile benefit in doing so.

You want a 9 VDC adapter that's rated at 1.5 Amps or more. Here's the one I purchased on Steve's (our resident Electrical Engineer and PCEFX turbo repairman!) recommendation and at a great price of $2.50:

www.ebay.com/itm/Adapter-AC-100-240V-to-9V-1500mA-Power-Supply-Charger-Converter

Then you'll want the Duo tip as well:

http://console5.com/store/parts/dc-power-jacks/turbo-duo-power-connector.html

Alternatively, if you don't care about preserving the original power supply, you can desolder the wire off of it and solder it on the new 9 VDC model once it arrives. Up to you. If you buy the tip and use a new wire, you'll have the option to make it nice and long, like 7 feet or so, as out of the box, only 3 feet is provided.

Another option: Don't have soldering skills or the time for a little DIY project ? You can buy ready-made power supplies then. Here's one at $13 (notice the price difference, but much worse at say RetroGameCave - don't buy from him, rip-off at $23!):

http://gamedoctorhk.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=69&products_id=817&zenid=9u50rdo757m65iolfl0epo1jg3

Here's why you should switch: I learned from Steve that the CD motor area receives unregulated voltage which will be much higher on your Japanese power supply because it's a cheap, linear, unregulated model. The 2 regulators inside a Duo console for 5 VDC and 8 VDC are for the motherboard and sound processing, but yeah, the CD motor area doesn't receive its power from one of those regulators surprisingly!

My Turbo Duo power supply for 120 VAC input outputs 13 VDC, despite the 10 VDC range that it's labeled with. Now, since yours is targeted for the VAC used in Japan at 100 Volts, you're possibly getting like ~16-19 or more VDC out, would simply be a little higher. Now that's fine, the internal regulators are designed to handle up to 35 VDC, they'll just run more hotter the higher the voltage, but this will add stress to that motor area since as Steve says, that part is unregulated.

Aside from that, it's better you give the internal regulators the least amount of voltage needed so they operate with less heat and last much longer. It's better for the regulator on your power supply to burn out than the one inside your unit which would force you to open it up and replace it. A burned out power supply is much more easily replaced obviously.

In short, a modern, regulated power supply is much better than the cheap, "retro" OEM power supplies from the 198Xs ("Retro" [power supplies] are NOT better in this case despite what say the Runyons of the Internet might think!). When used with the console, its internal regulators will produce less heat, and in principle, last longer and the CD motor area won't be subjected to varying voltages depending on what your incoming house voltage is (mine is 126 VAC). With all the extra smoothing capacitors, the new ones likely handle surges somewhat better as well.

FYI: I recently succeeded in upgrading my TurboExpress' power supply to the 6 VDC model that Steve also recommended. Also cheap at $2.59 and a million times better than the OEM brick model, which literally is big and heavy enough to kill somebody with! Here it is:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171414825591?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I was surprised, everything works fine thus far. He basically learned what the bare minimum voltage that the device will operate with. And logically, less is better, less heat, less wear, just what's needed with enough Amps.

mackdanger

Picked up a copy of Genpei 2 and Valis IV today. I don't have my CD situation squared away yet, but I have started to grab CDs I want when I find them cheap to get ready.

I couldn't find the "What PCE games are you playing thread." Is it buried somewhere on page 85?
Check out "Skill Sets" my 1CC / No Death video series:
https://www.youtube.com/user/richardgalactic

Digi.k

This came in the post,  Unfortunately I can't find anyone here in the UK to do a decent job of modding my console so this will have to do.  There are cheaper alternatives but I am not sure of how the picture and sound will be..

IMG

IMG

esteban

Quote from: Digi.k on 10/10/2014, 10:36 PMThis came in the post,  Unfortunately I can't find anyone here in the UK to do a decent job of modding my console so this will have to do.  There are cheaper alternatives but I am not sure of how the picture and sound will be..

IMG

IMG
Tonma.  :pcgs:

SuperPlay

Tengai Makyou - Ziria Hibaihin

IMG

Promo Items

IMG

Lochlan

Today's mail:
IMG
(click for full size)

All the arcade games are sealed, including Sapphire.
Quote from: ridgewood_general_store_1 on 08/15/2014, 11:12 AMI'm not sorry about this, as I'm not sorry about ANY attack by the goverrats.

pixeljunkie

Quote from: Lochlan on 10/11/2014, 04:09 PMToday's mail:
IMG
(click for full size)

All the arcade games are sealed, including Sapphire.
g'lawd! that picture gives me the vapors! [fans self]

PixyJunket

A few things from the eBay, another haul of (relatively) cheapies before I get the stones to start picking off some Compile games.

IMG

IMG
Drink Craft Beer and Play PC-Engine.
Compile, Westone and Falcom.

SuperGrafx

Great games.
How much did the 2 Dungeon Explorer games set you back?

cr8zykuban0

my most recent pc engine pickup! I did purchase this about 2 weeks ago but didn't post it on this thread. Been having lots of fun with this badboy along with the everdrive and mvs games of course

IMG

PixyJunket

Quote from: SuperGrafx on 10/12/2014, 10:09 PMGreat games.
How much did the 2 Dungeon Explorer games set you back?
$27 for both.

pixeljunkie

is it bad that I don't even know what all I've bought?

Opethian

IMG

elderbroom

Quote from: pixeljunkie on 10/15/2014, 04:35 PMis it bad that I don't even know what all I've bought?
I surprise myself if packages arriving in the mail all the time.  Don't drink and eBay !  I've bought off this forum, eBay, Kijiji, and Craigslist after consuming a few too many adult beverages.  My wife just rolls her eyes, when I have no clue what's in the box until I open it.  Luckily my drunk self is a rather shrewd negotiator  ;-)
-----------------------
Elderbroom
My TG-16/PCE Collection : http://www.pcedaisakusen.net/2/34/615/show-collection.htm

SuperGrafx

My PCE Briefcase CD ROM system arrived today.
Super stoked!
 8)

PixyJunket

Quote from: Opethian on 10/15/2014, 05:12 PMDragon Knight III rox!
A friend of mine used to have an English version on PC back in the 486 days.

SuperGrafx

Rom Rom Stadium - brand new and still sealed

esteban

Oopskie!

esteban

Quote from: SuperPlay on 10/11/2014, 11:03 AMPromo Items

IMG
What is the cute blue bag for? Any specific PCE purpose? Or general use?

Quote from: SuperGrafx on 10/29/2014, 05:20 PMRom Rom Stadium - brand new and still sealed
I can't recall...os that a regular baseball game or a simulation/managing sort of game.

SuperGrafx

Quote from: esteban on 10/29/2014, 06:05 PM
Quote from: SuperPlay on 10/11/2014, 11:03 AMPromo Items

IMG
What is the cute blue bag for? Any specific PCE purpose? Or general use?

Quote from: SuperGrafx on 10/29/2014, 05:20 PMRom Rom Stadium - brand new and still sealed
I can't recall...os that a regular baseball game or a simulation/managing sort of game.
Haven't had a chance to actually try it out yet...got some work to catch up on first.
From the screenshots on the back, definitely looks like a regular baseball game (similar to the Power League series -- no fat, pudgy Famista style players) with perhaps some enhancements thrown in for the CD format.  Strangely enough, I see no youtube vids of this particular title online.

Either way, I really love baseball games on the PCE, so I'm sure I'll love it. 
Been playing a partial season of Intec's baseball game on the PCE CD ROM while waiting for this one to arrive.

Regarding that blue bag in Super Play's post, I was also wondering if it had a specific purpose.  Perhaps it's for the PC Engine GT handheld?  Or maybe it's one of those Japanese style pen cases (see www.jetpens.com for similar items)?

jtucci31

Quote from: SuperGrafx on 10/29/2014, 06:53 PMHaven't had a chance to actually try it out yet...got some work to catch up on first.
From the screenshots on the back, definitely looks like a regular baseball game (similar to the Power League series -- no fat, pudgy Famista style players) with perhaps some enhancements thrown in for the CD format.  Strangely enough, I see no youtube vids of this particular title online.

Either way, I really love baseball games on the PCE, so I'm sure I'll love it. 
Been playing a partial season of Intec's baseball game on the PCE CD ROM while waiting for this one to arrive.

Regarding that blue bag in Super Play's post, I was also wondering if it had a specific purpose.  Perhaps it's for the PC Engine GT handheld?  Or maybe it's one of those Japanese style pen cases (see www.jetpens.com for similar items)?
I'd say that bag looks too small for a GT. That would be really cool if it did fit though.

Also what baseball game on the CD rom are you reffering to? I've tried a few baseball games on the everdrive. Liked Naxat Stadium and the Power Leagues, but didn't know it went beyond that. For a season, are you able to save or have a password?

Opethian

Quote from: PixyJunket on 10/17/2014, 07:20 PM
Quote from: Opethian on 10/15/2014, 05:12 PMDragon Knight III rox!
A friend of mine used to have an English version on PC back in the 486 days.
Knights of Xentar its abbandonware now im sure you can find it for freee somewhere...
IMG

SuperGrafx

Quote from: guest on 10/29/2014, 07:41 PMAlso what baseball game on the CD rom are you reffering to? I've tried a few baseball games on the everdrive. Liked Naxat Stadium and the Power Leagues, but didn't know it went beyond that. For a season, are you able to save or have a password?
It's this one here (made by Intec circa 1990): eJsH6g~~60_1.JPG

I've seen it called "Pro baseball Stars" but I honestly have no idea what the name translates to.
Plays very similar to the Power League games, and yes, you can save a season without having to use passwords.

Opethian

the pro Yakyu

ザ・プロ野球

yakyu is basebol
IMG

SuperPlay

Quote from: esteban on 10/29/2014, 06:05 PMWhat is the cute blue bag for? Any specific PCE purpose? Or general use?
As far as I can tell it is just a belt bag for general stuff.   As jtucci31 has noted it is too small for a GT.

SuperGrafx

Quote from: SuperPlay on 10/30/2014, 12:10 PM
Quote from: esteban on 10/29/2014, 06:05 PMWhat is the cute blue bag for? Any specific PCE purpose? Or general use?
As far as I can tell it is just a belt bag for general stuff.   As jtucci31 has noted it is too small for a GT.
Oh well.  Still looks neat.
Could be handy to store and transport HuCards and extra batteries whilst on a road trip or something.

PCEngineFX

Just picked up these three mint w/spine Arcade Super CD-ROM2 games.  $20 for all.

IMG[/img]
// Aaron Nanto | The Ultimate Resource for NEC Console Information!
Papa PCEFX 1997-2020 [Retired]
IMG
IMG

Medic_wheat

Does it count if it was for my secrete santa? Lol

pixeljunkie

Sadly, I just got in Baby Jo...I thought "it can't be THAT bad!"

It is.

esteban

Quote from: pixeljunkie on 11/11/2014, 11:06 AMSadly, I just got in Baby Jo...I thought "it can't be THAT bad!"

It is.
It gets pretty damn challenging.

I have to revisit it...I have to determine if the controls/UI is fair or poorly implemented (cumbersome).

I actually don't mind games in this genre...but I usually played them on a computer with a keyboard + mouse.