OMG! ZIRIA! ZIRIA!! ZIRIA!!! IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED!! 34 YEARS LATER!! The epic/legendary Tengai Makyou/Far East of Eden: Ziria JRPG has finally been localized! Supper the Subtitler struck again! Simply unstoppable, NOTHING can prevent him from TOTAL PCECD localization domination!!!! WHACHA GONNA DO BROTHER?!?!
Main Menu

Invasion of the newbies

Started by Spector, 03/12/2006, 04:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seldane

PC Genjin is an awesome name! Why?

QuoteBonk's Adventure in Japan was called PC Genjin, a play on words - it rhymes with PC Engine, and means Primitive Man. The shmup sequel was called PC Denjin, which means Electric Man.
Quote from: Seldane on 04/21/2007, 07:28 PMDVDs are for suckers. Illegally pirated and stolen videos all the way. No menus. No "DO NOT PIRATE THIS!" screens. No fuss. Only perfection. I honestly only pirate movies because that "don't pirate this" screen annoys me. :wink:
IMG
Indeed, it's AV time. Check out: IMG! Sir, the door was open.

_Paul

Quote from: "Keranu"The biggest deal is that Japanese love to throw random English words together in their title names, and this just doesn't work out for America and Europe really :lol:
Here's a fun one to compare: Devil's Crush or Devil's Crash? I'll leave that up to you guys.

I would say that in my experience the odd Japanese names work far better for Europeans than they do for Americans who seem to have a lot of trouble with anything that's not plainly s-p-e-l-l-e-d o-u-t for them. At least that's the stereotype, but it does seem you lot prefer what I would term as awfully cheesy and almost childish names to unique and weird sounding Japlish ones. So maybe it just is a cultural thing. (Demanicus? dear lord...)

I may well have to give this some time in a future podcast :wink:

And it's Devil Crash, not Devil's Crash in Japan.

Spector

Wasn't the US version of Devil Crash 'softened'? Did they not remove certain graphics from the jap version that they thought weren't 'safe' for US audiences? I remember reading it in a retro-mag a couple of years ago.
You've got to feel the thrill... of disgust!
The beauty... of obscenity!

esteban

^ Oops, I got the name wrong. Anyway, as far as names go, "Devil's Crush" is way kooler-sounding than "Devil Crash".

And, to clarify another point: In my earlier post, I was saying that I like the title (name) "Bravoman" more than I like the name "Shockman". I wasn't judging the games themselves :). I can see how the confusion arose, so I just wanted to clear that up.

Quote from: guest
Quote from: "Keranu"The biggest deal is that Japanese love to throw random English words together in their title names, and this just doesn't work out for America and Europe really :lol:
Here's a fun one to compare: Devil's Crush or Devil's Crash? I'll leave that up to you guys.

I would say that in my experience the odd Japanese names work far better for Europeans than they do for Americans who seem to have a lot of trouble with anything that's not plainly s-p-e-l-l-e-d o-u-t for them. At least that's the stereotype, but it does seem you lot prefer what I would term as awfully cheesy and almost childish names to unique and weird sounding Japlish ones. So maybe it just is a cultural thing. (Demanicus? dear lord...)

I may well have to give this some time in a future podcast :wink:
Well, I think you'll find that we appreciate kool names as well as cheezy names.

Yo' Bro, as I have often said, is one of the most offensive titles ever concocted. And yet, for that very reason, I have grown to love it. "Bonk" works for North American audiences because it doesn't have any other connotations here in the States ("bonk" is like "snog" over in Britain, isn't it?). Now, "Bonk" is certainly not a sophisticated name... but it seemed to really fit the protagonist in the game (and his attitutude), so it worked. It's a lot better than "Aero the Acrobat", anyway. Call me "easilly amused". :)

As I noted in my initial post, slapping two words together can produce very kool results ("Blood Gear" is a great-sounding name, IMO, and I like "Radiant Silvergun" as well, even if it is a mouthful).

-----------

I really don't think there is a big European / American cultural divide when it comes to video game titles. On both sides of the Atlantic, you'll find equivalent portions of the population who detest the bastardization of imported cultural products. I agree that there are stereotypes of the "unsophisticated American masses", but this image is fueled by the companies who insist on marketing / localizing / sanitizing products as if they were Kung-Fu films in the 70's. So, it's not so much that we "want" corny stuff, but rather that it has been marketed to us as "corny".

As a result, I'd say that there is a greater appreciation for cheezy stuff here in the states because we grew up with cheezy marketing and localization of content (Godzilla, Speed Racer, Kung Fu films, Ninja fads, etc.). The only imported cultural products we got to see were things that were seen as "marketable" (i.e. sci-fi and action films yes, historical dramas no) -- and even then the localization usually added a thick layer of cheese on top (witness the dubbing of any action film from 50's - 80's).

But, and here's the important distinction: we in the States can appreciate both the orginal art as well as the bastardized art. I loved watching Battle of the Planets when I was a kid. I didn't know that the stupid R2D2-esque robot wasn't in the original Japanese cartoon! I loved Robotech as well -- but I had no idea that it was a melange of different series! Guess what? I still like BotP, including Bleep or Zark or whatever that R2D2 robot was called. And I like Robotech as well, even if it was hacked together.

I think most folks differentiate original art vs. bastardized art. They often find a way to appreciate the bastardized art, on some level. :) It might be kitsch, but it becomes something more -- it finds a way into our hearts. It's hard to explain. We're not simply mocking something that's cheezy, we're appreciating the cheeziness. Ahhhh, it's hard to put into words :).

On a somewhat related note: I wouldn't give up the TG-CD localizations of Final Zone II, Last Alert (Red Alert) or Valis II for the world :)
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Keranu

To put it simply, we Americans consume a lot of cheese, therefore we enjoy cheese, whether it be the food or in the bad fashion :D . I purposely go to old video stores to find a movie with the cheesiest looking cover and description so I can go home and watch it with my bros and have a good laugh  :lol: .
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

PC Gaijin

Quote from: guestI would say that in my experience the odd Japanese names work far better for Europeans than they do for Americans who seem to have a lot of trouble with anything that's not plainly s-p-e-l-l-e-d o-u-t for them. At least that's the stereotype, but it does seem you lot prefer what I would term as awfully cheesy and almost childish names to unique and weird sounding Japlish ones. So maybe it just is a cultural thing. (Demanicus? dear lord...)

Or perhaps you're just an elitist Japanophile?

pixeljunkie

While I am tempted by the new PCE flash cart....I am passing on it. I like the anticipation of getting a game in the mail I've never played and popping it in for the first time. What fun would it be to get Terra Cresta 2 having already played it?

Still cool though...but I am happy with my HuCard collection as it is to be honest. Been on a bit of a craze as far as buying goes lately. Still a good handful of CD games I need though.

_Paul

Quote from: "PC Gaijin"
Quote from: "sunteam_paul"I would say that in my experience the odd Japanese names work far better for Europeans than they do for Americans who seem to have a lot of trouble with anything that's not plainly s-p-e-l-l-e-d o-u-t for them. At least that's the stereotype, but it does seem you lot prefer what I would term as awfully cheesy and almost childish names to unique and weird sounding Japlish ones. So maybe it just is a cultural thing. (Demanicus? dear lord...)

Or perhaps you're just an elitist Japanophile?

That's probably true  8)

After thinking about it, I'm not sure that what you prefer depends on all the culture business, but rather depends on what you saw first. If you grew to love PC Genjin as 'Bonk' then you will prefer the name, however if you knew it as 'PC Kid' then you would prefer that instead.

I have no problem with the anime Robotech, despite it being a shredded version of Macross, purely because Robotech is how I first encountered it. But the PCE/TG16 was never released in the UK (which had a big import scene at the time) so I am more familiar with, and prefer the original Japanese titles.

esteban

Quote from: guestAfter thinking about it, I'm not sure that what you prefer depends on all the culture business, but rather depends on what you saw first. If you grew to love PC Genjin as 'Bonk' then you will prefer the name, however if you knew it as 'PC Kid' then you would prefer that instead.

I have no problem with the anime Robotech, despite it being a shredded version of Macross, purely because Robotech is how I first encountered it. But the PCE/TG16 was never released in the UK (which had a big import scene at the time) so I am more familiar with, and prefer the original Japanese titles.
Oh snap, I think you nailed it. :)

From your perspective, I can totally see how goofy we must seem. JJ & Jeff! Chew Man Fu! Cratermaze! Boxyboy! Man, the list goes on and on :) .  

I should also point out that Keranu and I are not representative of most TG-16 fans. Some North Americans actually have good taste ;) .  Sadly, we do not.

pixeljunkie

not to mention the AWFUL, I mean absolutely AWWWFFFUUULLLL US cover art for turbo games.

TurboXray

QuoteI should also point out that Keranu and I are not representative of most TG-16 fans. Some North Americans actually have good taste ;) . Sadly, we do not.

It's true, believe or not, Americans are not clones of each other :lol:  :shock:   ....:wink:

I for one always found more appeal in the japanese counter parts. I never liked the botched art they replaced on the boxes, that's one of the reasons why I like Working Designs so much. There are excepts though, Robotech definitely being one of them - I love Robotech and the names and musics they created/changed in the series(Macross) are very memorable for me. Man, the opening theme track brings tears to my eyes  :D

esteban

Quote from: "pixeljunkie"not to mention the AWFUL, I mean absolutely AWWWFFFUUULLLL US cover art for turbo games.
I agree. But of course, now I really love the fact that we got that artwork -- at least we got something *special* to cherish all our own.

North America's wonderful contribution to the PCE world!

I'm not joking.

esteban

Quote from: "pixeljunkie"not to mention the AWFUL, I mean absolutely AWWWFFFUUULLLL US cover art for turbo games.
I agree. But of course, now I really love the fact that we got that artwork -- at least we got something *special* to cherish all our own.

I'm not joking, but feel free to mock me :)

CrackTiger

Quote from: "stevek666"

I'm not joking, but feel free to mock me :)

Just look at this guy's avatar.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

MotherGunner

-MG

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM (If you want peace, Prepare for war)
SI VIS BELLUM, PARA MATRIMONIUM (If you want war, Prepare for marriage)

Seldane

Oh wow, that's got to be the most appealing packaging for any product I've ever seen. I wonder how many minutes it took for that game to sell out completely.
Quote from: Seldane on 04/21/2007, 07:28 PMDVDs are for suckers. Illegally pirated and stolen videos all the way. No menus. No "DO NOT PIRATE THIS!" screens. No fuss. Only perfection. I honestly only pirate movies because that "don't pirate this" screen annoys me. :wink:
IMG
Indeed, it's AV time. Check out: IMG! Sir, the door was open.

Keranu

Actually I kind of really dig that cover for Takin' it to the Hoop, in a serious manner. It's not so much cheesy, as the Bomberman cover was for example, but you know, it's basic and it has a nice 80's basketball touch to it, reminds me of Teen Wolf.  8)

American botched cover art rulez hardcore.
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG

esteban

Quote from: "Seldane"Oh wow, that's got to be the most appealing packaging for any product I've ever seen. I wonder how many minutes it took for that game to sell out completely.
Seriously -- nothing like a FULL FRONTAL NOSTRIL SHOT to help sales :)

TRIVIA: Taken it to the hoop is one of the very few covers that were based around "realistic" photographs... Addams Family, Jack Nicklaus, Takin it to the Hoop... and then there's Exile 2, which has a clay diorama :)

Keranu

Clay Art covers are the best :D .
IMG

GUTS

I still think that ungodly artwork on the original Mega Man NES game is the worst American box art ever.  He looks like he's 40, his pose is anatomically impossible, and the guy (I won't insult real artists by calling him an "artist") who drew it obviously didn't know anything about the game other than it was called "Mega Man".

VestCunt

Quote from: "stevek666"
Quote from: "Seldane"Oh wow, that's got to be the most appealing packaging for any product I've ever seen. I wonder how many minutes it took for that game to sell out completely.
Seriously -- nothing like a FULL FRONTAL NOSTRIL SHOT to help sales :)

Nostril AND Armpit.
no way dude.  i like cheesy covers.  i even like the mega man 1 cover...but if i could wipe every copy of Takin it to the Hoop from the face of the earth, i would.  and it still wouldn't heal the scars that photo burned into my brain.
Topic Adjourned.

Keranu

C'mon guys, that Takin' it to the Hoop cover is great. Maybe if it didn't expose the armpit hair so much, you guys could dig it more. But for me, I still love it because of how it captures that 80's basketball feel :D .
IMG

esteban

hahhahaha. what's funny is that the Takin' it to the Hoop photograph is supposed to convey "action" -- but it looks so static and staged to me. There's nothing dynamic in the photo to suggest "fast basketball fun". In fact, I think the basketball is glued to the rim.

Furthermore, I suspect that the model's hand is glued to the basketball as well. :)