The Analogue Turbo Duo clone shipped in time for Christmas 2023. Are you happy with yours ?? Find firmware updates here.
IMG
Main Menu

Protecting your collection

Started by xcrement5x, 06/13/2013, 05:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VestCunt

Either way, sounds like a compelling argument for pepper spray.
Topic Adjourned.

turboswimbz

Quote from: tggodfrey on 06/19/2013, 02:11 PMThe ultimate protection is just chain your nagging wife to the room you keep your collection in......if someone can take that abuse......They can have it!
This MADE my day.  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)
BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere. You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

tggodfrey

Guys, lets not argue gun control here.  Neither side of the topic is 100% right.  Frankly guns are a hobby like any other and no one has the right to tell someone they cant own something.  You can argue the same with cars and bikes that go over 200MPH.  Lets just call it a stalemate and go back to doing whatever you homo's do.

:)
Games currently in play:
PS3: COD Ghosts
TG16: Boxyboy

RoyVegas

Quote from: guest on 06/19/2013, 02:52 PMEither way, sounds like a compelling argument for pepper spray.
To each their own. Hope pepper spray works out for ya.
All is well. :)

NecroPhile

When it comes to owning guns, VestCunt is clearly an idiot.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

VestCunt

Roy - let me know if guns EVER work out for ya.
tggodfrey - I'm not arguing about gun control. I'm not a gun fan, but I absolutely support our right to own guns. My beef is with the terrified people clinging to guns for "protection." There's nothing safe about guns and they increase your chances of getting shot.
Topic Adjourned.

RoyVegas

Quote from: guest on 06/19/2013, 03:33 PMRoy - let me know if guns EVER work out for ya.
Sure, the guy who was trying to kill us, and had just murdered a guy and raped and tried to kill his wife, was scared away by a wonderful person with what item? A gun. If they didn't stop to help and pull a gun on the guy, my mother and I would be dead.

RoyVegas

Quote from: guest on 06/19/2013, 03:33 PMRoy - let me know if guns EVER work out for ya.
One more to add to that.  The wonderful guy who tried to kill us was sent to prison. While in prison he was being transported to a Dr's appointment when he got out of his cuffs, jumped out of the prison van.  Being chased by officers, he was shot and killed. I can't find the article that originally said it but one did say he was running towards a woman with a baby getting in their car.  Now the article I did find, the lady actually said this: "Dey said the woman yelled at the officers: "You could have done it away from the baby."  I wonder if she had known that the man running towards her was 1x murder, 3x attempted murderer, 1x rapist  (and god knows what else). Even facing down the danger she was in she chose to complain about the officers and the guns that possibly saved her life. Vestcunt, I view you like this lady, a ignorant fool.

I'd say that gun did me some good also, as well as the woman and her baby.

http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/1998/apr/03/guard-kills-prisoner-during-escape-try/#axzz2Wh7j3Lma

http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/1998/apr/04/lock-picking-device-found-on-inmate-killed-in-esca/#axzz2Wh7j3Lma

Oh, and if you wish to discuss this further, lets maybe make a thread in Fighting Street as it has no use here.

tggodfrey

tggodfrey - I'm not arguing about gun control. I'm not a gun fan, but I absolutely support our right to own guns. My beef is with the terrified people clinging to guns for "protection." There's nothing safe about guns and they increase your chances of getting shot.
I will aggree with you on that for the most part.  The statistics of an owner being shot with his own gun probably isnt very supportive of gun ownership.  I am just guessing, i am not currently away of that actual statistic.  That is why i am an advocate of every gun owner being required to take an extensive firearm safety course (which typically included safe storage and keeping the firearm out of the unintended hands they fall into).

Some people feel a FOID card is enough.
Games currently in play:

RoyVegas

Quote from: guest on 06/19/2013, 03:33 PMThere's nothing safe about guns and they increase your chances of getting shot.
Walking increases your chance of falling down.
Cutting a steak increases your chance of stabbing/cutting yourself.
Driving increases your chance of an accident.
Cooking increases the chance you might burn yourself.
Writing increases the chance you might accidentally poke yourself with a pencil/pen.

As with everything in life, a certain amount of care is to be used or things could go wrong. Guns are no different.

RoyVegas

Here's the thread in fighting street about GUNS if you'd like to continue:

https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=14903.0

NecroPhile

Quote from: tggodfrey on 06/19/2013, 05:12 PMThe statistics of an owner being shot with his own gun probably isnt very supportive of gun ownership.
The only way the statistics look bad is if you look only at fatalities and include suicides (big surprise: most gunshot suicides are by their own gun).

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: NecroPhile on 06/19/2013, 05:45 PM(big surprise: most gunshot suicides are by their own gun).
Mind = Blown.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

RoyVegas

esteban

STATUS: The best way to protect your video games is with a flamethrower. True story!
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: esteban on 06/19/2013, 06:15 PMSTATUS: The best way to protect your video games is with a flamethrower. True story!
Or a hair dryer.

Ask bernie!

:D
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

esteban

Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 06/19/2013, 09:06 PM
Quote from: esteban on 06/19/2013, 06:15 PMSTATUS: The best way to protect your video games is with a flamethrower. True story!
Or a hair dryer.

Ask bernie!

:D
Aahahahahahahahahha.  :pcgs: IMG

tggodfrey

Games currently in play:

Tatsujin

Quote from: Nulltard on 06/19/2013, 10:03 PMI just peed a little. True story!
And I believe you that. True story!
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

Tatsujin

he f.e. used a sega phaser light gun to protect his collection:

IMG
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

jeffhlewis

Quote from: Tatsujin on 06/19/2013, 11:13 PMhe f.e. used a sega phaser light gun to protect his collection:

IMG
Hey bootlegs of Mortal Kombat for the SMS ain't cheap. gotta defend 'em somehow

Arkhan Asylum

Lady on the bottom right is like WE JUST TRYING TO PLAY SAFARI HUNT

esteban

Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 06/20/2013, 02:35 AMLady on the bottom right is like WE JUST TRYING TO PLAY SAFARI HUNT
True story.

xcrement5x

Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 06/20/2013, 02:35 AMLady on the bottom right is like WE JUST TRYING TO PLAY SAFARI HUNT
BWAHAHAHA!  Okay, that time I just peed a little too.
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

Sparky

i just picked up this for my game room... 

Nothing fancy but a deterrence if some f@ck breaks into the basement, this would be set up in the corner of my game room shooting out into the hall, has a range of 23 feet.
Surprisingly the sound these things produce is instant headache for me, hopefully i can secure it really good to the wall so it wont be ripped off and smashed to the ground in a time i really need it. :)

IMG

NecroPhile

Don't forget to hook it up to a cattle prod for something kinda like this:

Sparky

Quote from: NecroPhile on 07/10/2013, 04:03 PMDon't forget to hook it up to a cattle prod for something kinda like this:
hahaha.. or a cattle electric line at dick level...

BigusSchmuck

My cat Baldrick is all the security I need. If anyone goes near my Laseractive its instant chomp, claw chomp on the ankles and no one likes that.

esteban

Quote from: NecroPhile on 07/10/2013, 04:03 PMDon't forget to hook it up to a cattle prod for something kinda like this:
I finally watched this! What is this from? It seems familiar, but I can't figure it out. Frustrating.  :pcgs:

jeffhlewis

Quote from: esteban on 07/20/2013, 02:51 PM
I finally watched this! What is this from? It seems familiar, but I can't figure it out. Frustrating.  :pcgs:
It's one of the fake commercials from Robocop - all the more relevant now that Detroit is bankrupt, and presumably OCP is going to bail them out.

esteban

Quote from: jeffhlewis on 07/20/2013, 05:13 PM
Quote from: esteban on 07/20/2013, 02:51 PM
It's one of the fake commercials from Robocop - all the more relevant now that Detroit is bankrupt, and presumably OCP is going to bail them out.
Holy crap, that's awesome I knew I had seen it! I gotta watch Robocop again...it's been 20? years...

JoshTurboTrollX

I've noticed that our basement gets a bit wet (sweaty walls) and it feels slightly damp after a hard rain so we purchased a dehumidifier.  I ran it from Saturday morning up through this morning and have removed 9 gallons of water SO FAR from our game room!!  O_O

The walls are now incredibly dry and the floor is dry and almost warm now.  The humidity went from 62% to 45% in about 48 hours.  Anybody else use a basement room for gaming in?  If so, I'd recommend a dehumidifier.

If anyone's wondering also- I've never noticed any damp/basementy smells to games stored down here or any dampness to magazines or boxes, then again I've only been using this room for gaming in since mid March... so who knows if it could have gotten worse the longer we used this room.  I'm hoping having this running continuously keeps things under control.
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion/blackmail!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

jeffhlewis

Quote from: JoshTurboTrollX-16 on 07/22/2013, 11:02 AMI've noticed that our basement gets a bit wet (sweaty walls) and it feels slightly damp after a hard rain so we purchased a dehumidifier.  I ran it from Saturday morning up through this morning and have removed 9 gallons of water SO FAR from our game room!!  O_O

The walls are now incredibly dry and the floor is dry and almost warm now.  The humidity went from 62% to 45% in about 48 hours.  Anybody else use a basement room for gaming in?  If so, I'd recommend a dehumidifier.

If anyone's wondering also- I've never noticed any damp/basementy smells to games stored down here or any dampness to magazines or boxes, then again I've only been using this room for gaming in since mid March... so who knows if it could have gotten worse the longer we used this room.  I'm hoping having this running continuously keeps things under control.
I had a two level townhome right on Lake Michigan before I moved to Milwaukee (where the bedroom and office were technically in the basement) - I picked up a $120 cheapo dehumidifier and used to routinely dump about 5-6 gallons on water a day from that thing in the summer. It was unreal.

Makes a HUGE difference with regards to the place not smelling like a mildewy sock

xcrement5x

Yeah, my folks live in northern Illinois and my Dad has always run a dehumidifier in the basement next to his workbench to keep it from getting damp down there.

I live in Colorado now, so extra humidity is not really an issue for me. 
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

majors

Quote from: jeffhlewis on 07/22/2013, 03:40 PMI picked up a $120 cheapo dehumidifier and used to routinely dump about 5-6 gallons on water a day from that thing in the summer. It was unreal.
Same here. A friends dad gave me a dehumidifier he did not need and I promptly set it up to run in the basement (two rooms). It would cut off daily with it's bucket full. I installed a hose that drains into the downstairs shower so it can keep on keeping on. It definite make the area more comfortable in the summer.
TG/PCE Collection.
"Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)

glazball

On topic: I keep my games stored in sealable plastic underbed-storage-type containers and I throw in several dessicant packets (you know, the ones that say Do Not Eat) to help keep them dry.  I read they help keep pests away like silverfish and it's worked fine for me so far.

Off topic: can one of you creative folk please make a meme pic that reads THEY'LL GET MY DUO WHEN THEY PRY MY COLD DEAD HANDS OFF OF IT.  kthx

Also, Ark you're Safari Hunt joke made me lol.  Holy shit that was funny!
glazball's game collection and wantlist

xcrement5x

So, bumping this back up as I finally talked to my insurance guy about this. 

Like others mentioned, a home security system is nice (and I already have one of those), but if your house really does get robbed or burns down having insurance is a good thing too.  Here's what I came up with finally (I own my home and have Farmers as an insurer, it may not apply to everyone).

Originally I talked about adding a floater to my home insurance policy.  Normally that covers specific items after they have been appraised for a set amount.  However, it looks like you can only get floater policies for certain things in a specific category like jewelry, art, guns, etc.  Video games were not one of them.

After talking with the insurance underwriter, they said that my games would be covered under my home owners (property) insurance as long as I had documentation of everything.  So, after snapping some basic photos and providing lists to my agent everything seems like I would be okay monetarily in case something happened.  He said the more documentation you can provide the better regarding condition and quantity, so I may try and work up something a bit more in depth when I have time.

Also, an aside, but my agent had never even heard of video game collecting a thing and was quite surprised to hear about the prices of some things.  I told him some stories about the great times where games were cheap and plentiful, and now everything costs way too much and is overpriced.  He actually collects Jordan sneakers I guess, you learn something new everyday.

Hope this helps anyone who was still interested.

Medic_wheat

You know I think about how to protect my collection more so now that I get some of those more high dollar games and the over all library grows.....

My game collection vastly over shadows my comic and toy collection.

munchiaz

I spoke with my insurance (travelers) a few weeks ago. I am currently renting and have renters insurance. I asked about floater as well, and like you said  Xele the games would be covered under my property insurance. I have all my stuff documented with list, and pictures. I still need to get something going for condition. They said i could try to get it appraised, but I don't think there is anything really official out there for video games.

esadajr

thanks to collectardism, insuring the game collection will be as expensive as insuring that Picaso
Gaming since 1985

xcrement5x

Saw this this other day and it reminded me of this thread:
http://www.thenewstribune.com/news/local/crime/article98741242.html

The initial quote is kind of funny though "I can't believe this. My life's work of collecting stuff is gone,". 
LOL. If your life's work is collecting stuff bruh...

NoSexGex

Quote from: guest on 06/13/2013, 05:38 PMAfter reading the thread from Mathius about having had many games stolen from him
Where was this? I would be interested reading this. Do you have a link? O:)
For a good time, reach out to this wily KKKFarm-crankcaller at (780) 717-9274 or Ryleystuartreynolds@gmail.com up in Alberta, Canada!
His last crank-voicemail: "Gimme a call back when you can. This is Ryley by the way... *giggles*"
He then followed it up with 8 WEEKS of ~DAILY calling! BAN ON SIGHT!!!

NecroPhile

"... where he attended Grand Canyon University to study digital film production.  Cline lived there for about five years before moving back to Tacoma earlier this year as he finished up a master's degree in entertainment business from Full Sail University online."

Translation: this guy ain't bright enough to have had insurance.

Medic_wheat

Much of Cline's video game collection — about 1,500 games with their systems, which he estimates is worth $65,000 — was gone.

i like how he doesn't give any specifics as to WHAT was in the locker apart from 2600 games and that "some were never taken out of the box" as well as "these were my games from childhood". He is now having to go off "memory".

Now I know why a I say will sound dickish. But I don't know how not to sound like a pessimistic dick.

So when he goes to claim insurance why is it I feel he is GREATLY I flaunting the number when it comes to cost of games wth the whole "some games ranging from in the $650".

I would expect to have seen some "rare" titles thrown around in the article where a collector or such could say "yeah that's become expensive" or that there would have been at lest one picture of him with some of the stuff before it was stolen.

This just screams scame job to get a big insurance check then to go and buy up all the rare expensive shit to "build back up his collection".

crazydean

Good point, Medic. 2600 games don't typically go for big money. This guy estimates that his games are worth an average of $43 each. Looking at pricecharting.com *shudder*, the average NES and 2600 game price is about $25. However, this means that he would be just as likely to have Stadium Events as Mario/Duck Hunt. It's easy to deduce that unless he was a Neo Geo collector, his $65k was way way high.

esteban

Quote from: ButtsniffMcNipplegrinder on 08/31/2016, 11:22 PMBloody wolf is enough with saving president.

This time is to saving with games.
That, actually, is a good point.

HINT: Don't forget to stockpile muscle emphasis pills as well as bullets when you defend your storage locker.

ToyMachine78

The sad thing is the perp is most likely someone he knows.

Medic_wheat

Quote from: guest on 09/01/2016, 06:54 AMThe sad thing is the perp is most likely someone he knows.
Had to have been other wise they wouldn't have known to hit the locker or if it was worth their time. Sure they might bust randomly picked the locker by noticing that the owner was hardly there as well. But it is much more likely to be someone you know.

It's why I don't post pics of my stuff on social media. I prefer my friends and family not know I am a horrder.  I mean collector.

Gypsy

Quote from: Medic_wheat on 09/01/2016, 09:20 AM
Quote from: guest on 09/01/2016, 06:54 AMThe sad thing is the perp is most likely someone he knows.
Had to have been other wise they wouldn't have known to hit the locker or if it was worth their time. Sure they might bust randomly picked the locker by noticing that the owner was hardly there as well. But it is much more likely to be someone you know.

It's why I don't post pics of my stuff on social media. I prefer my friends and family not know I am a horrder.  I mean collector.
Sad to say but it really is just marking yourself as a target.

jonebone

Quote from: Medic_wheat on 08/31/2016, 08:00 PMThis just screams scame job to get a big insurance check then to go and buy up all the rare expensive shit to "build back up his collection".
Yup, anyone with a collection that expensive is going to have a very good idea of what they have.  I'd assume most would have a nice up to date collection tool of some sort (Excel, App, Word Doc, etc.), but maybe some don't.  It's not even about value, it is just about understanding what you have and the condition it is in when you get to that many games.  No one wants to rebuy something they already own.