If you sent your PCE overseas to be fixed

Started by soop, 06/20/2013, 12:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

soop

How do you send it?  Is there a specific category you can send it under so they know it's coming back?

On the one hand, you don't really want to send something like an LT abroad, declare it's full value, and potentially get stung once each way for customs.
On the other, if it goes missing thanks to the USPO, you want to be insured.

I was just thinking that if I had an LT, I wouldn't want to trust it to anyone that wasn't on these forums, but everyone that I'd hand it over to is in NA.
Quote from: esteban on 04/26/2018, 04:44 PMSHUTTLECOCK OR SHUFFLE OFF!

PCEngineHell

If its broke/non working you cant insure it for the full value anyway in shipping. Technically that would be mail fraud otherwise. You'd rally need to insure it for like 1/4th the value original value or something more along the line of parts value only.

soop

True, I didn't think of that.  But even a faulty LT is still worth a fair bit.

PCEngineHell

Quote from: soop on 06/20/2013, 12:23 PMTrue, I didn't think of that.  But even a faulty LT is still worth a fair bit.
Only if you can prove faulty LT's sell for a fair bit. When you file a insurance claim for something outside of an actual sale of your own, the burden of proof will be on you to prove that the item that was lost\damaged\burned to crisp by the postal system was indeed worth what you state it was when you originally shipped it out. They just don't hand out checks freely on your word alone. That means you will need documented proof detailing non-working LT's have a common selling price, and be able to show what that price is.

soop

Quote from: PCEngineHell on 06/20/2013, 02:56 PM
Quote from: soop on 06/20/2013, 12:23 PMTrue, I didn't think of that.  But even a faulty LT is still worth a fair bit.
Only if you can prove faulty LT's sell for a fair bit. When you file a insurance claim for something outside of an actual sale of your own, the burden of proof will be on you to prove that the item that was lost\damaged\burned to crisp by the postal system was indeed worth what you state it was when you originally shipped it out. They just don't hand out checks freely on your word alone. That means you will need documented proof detailing non-working LT's have a common selling price, and be able to show what that price is.
Ok, another good point - say the LT worked, but you wanted it recapped, because it wasn't A1.  So it's basically a fully working LT now, but the screen is bright and the sound is low.  That's what I'm getting at

PCEngineHell

I basically just told you what you needed to know. You either have the choice of lying and say it was fulling working when you sent it, and insure it as such, or try to insure it for the common going rate for one with cap failure. Either way you will need to provide documented proof of value if something happens to it. How you decide to go about it is up to you.

Tatsujin

Teh Prof has a lot of good points.

Why not take video of the LT showing its actual status of working. If anything happens to it, so that the it does not work anymore as it did pre-shipping, then you would have at least a proof in your hands.

But I think, you just worry a bit too much about a half working, probably even loose LT?
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

spenoza

Nobody has addressed his primary question, which is, is there some way to mail something that he intends to have returned such that there isn't a hit from customs on both ends.

Soop, you'll have to check with your local post office to be sure. We're probably not the most knowledgeable bunch in that particular area.

PCEngineHell

Most any postal service does not have any policy concerning items that will be doing some kind of round trip. There is too many factors at hand and it involves more then one countries post office to accept the item. Plus, once the item would be repaired the value would increase on the item on the return trip. The fact of the matter is if he wants to avoid fees he will have to claim it as a gift. Otherwise he will have to state the items actual value, which would be ideal for insurance reasons anyway.