Free homebrew marketing

Started by spenoza, 06/21/2013, 10:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spenoza

I'm revamping the TurboGrafx 16 101 article for Racketboy. I'm correcting some of the errors I made when I originally wrote it (the ones I know about, at least) and I'm adding in all sorts of info about the PC Engine that wasn't included in the original article. But here's the important bit for this particular forum area: I'm including a short section on the homebrew scene (and I'm planning a larger article on the homebrew, translation, and hacks and mods scene). I'm only listing current releases, but I'm including links to the developers so that people can purchase them. I have some small hope that maybe some of you will get a little extra business as a result. Fingers crossed, OK?

If any of you have a one-sentence blurb/bio to describe your studio/team, whatever, I would happily replace the descriptions I've already penned.

Note that I'm only listing the 6 current commercial releases:

Mindrec's Implode and MB DX
Atlantean's Insanity and PP
FU's Mysterious Song
Touko's Revival Chase

OldRover

Well first of all, Insanity and PP are made by Aetherbutt, not Atlantean. ;)
Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

Arkhan Asylum

Yeah, that should read Aetherbyte's Atlantean, PP, and Insanity. ( you could mention Inferno too )

As for a one sentence blurb... 

We're a small retro gaming studio dedicated to the longevity of the Turbo Grafx-16/PC Engine, and MSX. 
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

spenoza

Quote from: The Old Rover on 06/21/2013, 11:48 AMWell first of all, Insanity and PP are made by Aetherbyte, not Atlantean. ;)
That is already correct in the article, just not in the ends of my fingers when I'm in a hurry  : )

Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 06/21/2013, 12:09 PMYeah, that should read Aetherbyte's Atlantean, PP, and Insanity. ( you could mention Inferno too )

As for a one sentence blurb... 

We're a small retro gaming studio dedicated to the longevity of the Turbo Grafx-16/PC Engine, and MSX. 
I'm planning on doing a separate article later that will sum up homebrew stuff that's still in development and include some of the smaller, ROM-only projects. I'm only listing titles for this that can be obtained RIGHT NOW, though I do hint occasionally at some future stuff.

Maybe tonight I'll paste in what I have and you guys can offer suggestions on it.

OldRover

What's the URL to the article in question? I can't find it.
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

VestCunt

spenoza - you might want to include this link:
http://www.gooddealgames.com/inventory/Turbografx.html
It's probably not the most direct method of supporting our developers, but it's the easiest way for a new gamer to find and buy all the games in one place and get reliable shipping.
Topic Adjourned.

CrackTiger

Quote from: VestCunt on 06/21/2013, 02:56 PMspenoza - you might want to include this link:
http://www.gooddealgames.com/inventory/Turbografx.html
It's probably not the most direct method of supporting our developers, but it's the easiest way for a new gamer to find and buy all the games in one place and get reliable shipping.
Wow, that is awesome. It's so cool seeing so many published new Turbo games in one place. :D
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

gameofyou

If you want to mention the Low-Cost Flash HuCard somewhere in there, that would be cool.  :)

spenoza

Quote from: gameofyou on 06/21/2013, 08:46 PMIf you want to mention the Low-Cost Flash HuCard somewhere in there, that would be cool.  :)
I do, along side the Turbo Everdrive, two examples of, IMO, homebrew hardware.

spenoza

Here is the brief section on the homebrew scene, minus the formatting and links, because copy and paste doesn't like formatting and I can't be arsed to fix it.

Homebrew

The PC Engine homebrew used to be pretty low-key, but has seen a resurgence as of late. There are currently 6 titles that have been released commercially, a couple others in ROM format, and a few tech demos. There are another 6-9 titles currently under development across the various developers active in the scene. Here are the ones released commercially. So far only CD titles have been released, but Aetherbyte has a cart title in the works on a homemade cartridge.

MindRec: A legit company that does PC Engine development on the side, if only because BT Garner of TurboList fame is the man in charge. They were the first on the commercial homebrew scene for the PC Engine and have been dormant for some time, but with the reprint of Meteor Blaster DX, there are indications that change is a comin'.
        Implode: Colored block puzzler. Included on the CD are Crash and Humpball. CDR release.
        Meteor Blaster DX: Souped up Asteroids clone. Recently reprinted on proper pressed CDs (no more CDRs). Includes a Caravan mode and the puzzle game Loop as bonuses.
    Aetherbyte: A veteran programmer and a hot-headed newcomer have together created what seems to be a classic arcade revival on the TurboGrafx 16. One of their hallmarks is insisting on using PSG soundtracks despite making CD games. Once you hear their PSG work, however, you'll agree that this isn't necessarily a bad thing.
        Insanity: Colorful Berzerk clone with a dark, droning, retro-techno soundtrack. Has an Xbox360 release as well.
        Pyramid Plunder: Pac-Man clone that mixes things up with powerups and multi-screen levels.
    Frozen Utopia: Several creative individuals from the PC Engine community who are, together, a powerful force for gaming.
        Mysterious Song: A port of a Windows RPG with redone content. Has cut scenes and voice acting as well as a suitable CD soundtrack. It is a little on the short side but it hews closely to classic RPG sensibilities. You'll feel just like it's 1990!
    Touko: A mysterious Frenchman with amazing PC Engine powers. He only has one complete commercial title so far, but it won't be his last. Like Aytherbyte, he's sticking closely to the arcade classics that the PC Engine and Turbo Grafx 16 missed out on.
        Revival Chase: A remake of the classic arcade game Lock n' Chase. Exclusively available with the classic games magazine, Revival, which, fortunately, has a US version. The French issue is number 50, but the US issue is 45. Here is a link to help you procure this one. Includes a hidden shooter.

There's also some great homebrew hardware available, for those who want to play homebrew ROMs, translated ROMs, and ROM hacks:

Low Cost Flash HuCard: Handmade flash card that is simple and affordable. It is a 1 MiB (8 Mib) flash device with a USB interface and software that allows you to switch regions and even eliminate the US region check code. Does not support any games larger than 8 Mib (Street Fighter II' was the only commercial title that meets this criteria).
    Turbo Everdrive: Krizz is well-known for his flash-cards. This new entry to the Everdrive family can store multiple games on SD cards and even supports the Street Fighter II' mapper. Features a bootable menu to select your game and a reset button on the cart for when you want to switch.

FiftyQuid

Quote from: guest on 06/21/2013, 09:44 PMHere is the brief section on the homebrew scene, minus the formatting and links, because copy and paste doesn't like formatting and I can't be arsed to fix it.

Homebrew

The PC Engine homebrew used to be pretty low-key, but has seen a resurgence as of late. There are currently 6 titles that have been released commercially, a couple others in ROM format, and a few tech demos. There are another 6-9 titles currently under development across the various developers active in the scene. Here are the ones released commercially. So far only CD titles have been released, but Aetherbutt has a cart title in the works on a homemade cartridge.

MindRec: A legit company that does PC Engine development on the side, if only because BT Garner of TurboList fame is the man in charge. They were the first on the commercial homebrew scene for the PC Engine and have been dormant for some time, but with the reprint of Meteor Blaster DX, there are indications that change is a comin'.
        Implode: Colored block puzzler. Included on the CD are Crash and Humpball. CDR release.
        Meteor Blaster DX: Souped up Asteroids clone. Recently reprinted on proper pressed CDs (no more CDRs). Includes a Caravan mode and the puzzle game Loop as bonuses.
    Aetherbutt: A veteran programmer and a hot-headed newcomer have together created what seems to be a classic arcade revival on the TurboGrafx 16. One of their hallmarks is insisting on using PSG soundtracks despite making CD games. Once you hear their PSG work, however, you'll agree that this isn't necessarily a bad thing.
        Insanity: Colorful Berzerk clone with a dark, droning, retro-techno soundtrack. Has an Xbox360 release as well.
        Pyramid Plunder: Pac-Man clone that mixes things up with powerups and multi-screen levels.
    Frozen Utopia: Several creative individuals from the PC Engine community who are, together, a powerful force for gaming.
        Mysterious Song: A port of a Windows RPG with redone content. Has cut scenes and voice acting as well as a suitable CD soundtrack. It is a little on the short side but it hews closely to classic RPG sensibilities. You'll feel just like it's 1990!
    Touko: A mysterious Frenchman with amazing PC Engine powers. He only has one complete commercial title so far, but it won't be his last. Like Aytherbyte, he's sticking closely to the arcade classics that the PC Engine and Turbo Grafx 16 missed out on.
        Revival Chase: A remake of the classic arcade game Lock n' Chase. Exclusively available with the classic games magazine, Revival, which, fortunately, has a US version. The French issue is number 50, but the US issue is 45. Here is a link to help you procure this one. Includes a hidden shooter.

There's also some great homebrew hardware available, for those who want to play homebrew ROMs, translated ROMs, and ROM hacks:

Low Cost Flash HuCard: Handmade flash card that is simple and affordable. It is a 1 MiB (8 Mib) flash device with a USB interface and software that allows you to switch regions and even eliminate the US region check code. Does not support any games larger than 8 Mib (Street Fighter II' was the only commercial title that meets this criteria).
    Turbo Everdrive: Krizz is well-known for his flash-cards. This new entry to the Everdrive family can store multiple games on SD cards and even supports the Street Fighter II' mapper. Features a bootable menu to select your game and a reset button on the cart for when you want to switch.
Is this a draft?  There are a bunch of typo's.
I'm busy playing pinball, but I still drop by to visit.

OldRover

Minor gripe with the description for Mysterious Song: it was not a Windows game, it was an MS-DOS game. :)

Arkhan Asylum

Wait.

Wait.

Who the hell's hot headed at Aetherbyte?

This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

OldRover

Also, Implode was not a CDR release... it was a properly pressed game.

Arkhan Asylum

It should also probably be mentioned that Aetherbyte made PSG stuff for homebrew actually possible via Squirrel.  Also of note, Cabbages RPG he made uses it.

OldMan

QuoteA veteran programmer and a hot-headed newcomer have together created what seems to be a classic arcade revival on the TurboGrafx
May I suggest:

A veteran programmer, a talented newcomer, and an amazing artist have together created ......

We wouldn't look so good without sunteam_paul.

spenoza

Quote from: FiftyQuid on 06/21/2013, 11:22 PMIs this a draft?  There are a bunch of typo's.
Yes. I've been over it with the editing comb a few times, but it wouldn't surprise me if a lot slipped through. Anything you notice bring to my attention, please. I should note, however, that the plural of typo is typos, not typo's.

Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 06/22/2013, 12:26 AMIt should also probably be mentioned that Aetherbyte made PSG stuff for homebrew actually possible via Squirrel.  Also of note, Cabbages RPG he made uses it.
That will go into the stand-alone homebrew article that describes the scene in greater detail. This is a very overview-style bit for a much larger article.

Quote from: The Old Rover on 06/22/2013, 12:15 AMAlso, Implode was not a CDR release... it was a properly pressed game.
My mistake. I will remove that information and correct Mysterious Song. Your suggested alteration for Aetherbyte will also be used, as it's better AND more accurate than what I came up with. I'll be sad to leave out hot-headed as a descriptor, though...

I'm submitting this to Racketboy tonight, so anything that needs adjustment needs adjustment SOON.

esteban

Quote from: guest on 06/21/2013, 09:44 PMHere is the brief section on the homebrew scene, minus the formatting and links, because copy and paste doesn't like formatting and I can't be arsed to fix it.

Homebrew

The PC Engine homebrew scene used to be pretty low-key, but it  has seen a resurgence as of late. There are currently six titles that have been released commercially, a couple others in ROM format, and a few tech demos. There are an additional another  6-9 titles currently under development across the various developers active in the scene by several different developers.

Here are the titles ones released commercially (NOTE: Thus far, So far  only CD titles have been released, but Aetherbutt has a cart title in the works on a homemade cartridge):

Meteor Blaster DX: Souped-up Asteroids clone. Recently reprinted on proper pressed CDs (no more CDRs). Includes a Caravan mode and the puzzle game Loop as bonuses.

Aetherbutt: A veteran programmer and a hot-headed newcomer have together created what seems to be a classic arcade revival on the TurboGrafx-16. One of their hallmarks is insisting on using PSG soundtracks ("chiptunes")  despite making CD games (that typically employ Red Bood Audio soundtracks). Once you hear their PSG work, however, you'll agree that this isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Touko: A mysterious Frenchman with amazing PC Engine powers. He only has one complete commercial title so far, but it won't be his last. Like Aytherbyte, he's sticking closely to the arcade classics that the PC Engine and TurboGrafx-16 missed out on.

There's also Some great homebrew hardware is also available, for those who want to play homebrew ROMs, translated ROMs, and ROM hacks:

A few minor edits...I have to leave now, but I think I caught most of them...  :pcgs:
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

roflmao

Quote from: esteban on 06/22/2013, 03:13 PMA few minor edits...I have to leave now, but I think I caught most of them...  :pcgs:
Nice updates, Esteban.  Only thing I'd change is "Red Bood" to "Red Book." :pcgs:

spenoza

Quote from: esteban on 06/22/2013, 03:13 PMA few minor edits...I have to leave now, but I think I caught most of them...  :pcgs:
Hrm... not bad. This is exactly why people should not edit their own work. I was overly critical of some stuff, but clearly not critical enough of other material.

roflmao

Great work, spenoza!  So glad someone here stepped up to help clarify some information over there.  I bet that place gets 10X the traffic we get (which is why I hang out here :)).

spenoza

Quote from: guest on 06/22/2013, 04:06 PMGreat work, spenoza!  So glad someone here stepped up to help clarify some information over there.  I bet that place gets 10X the traffic we get (which is why I hang out here :)).
RB is a pretty awesome forum, all the way around, which is why I contribute to the site and help moderate the forums. The only flaw is a lack of PCE activity in the forums.