OMG! ZIRIA! ZIRIA!! ZIRIA!!! IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED!! 34 YEARS LATER!! The epic/legendary Tengai Makyou/Far East of Eden: Ziria JRPG has finally been localized! Supper the Subtitler struck again! Simply unstoppable, NOTHING can prevent him from TOTAL PCECD localization domination!!!! WHACHA GONNA DO BROTHER?!?!
Main Menu

Cheap games for a expo

Started by soop, 07/09/2013, 10:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

soop

Oh hai there.  My friend is running an expo of sorts, a retro game tent as part of a festival, so the kids can go in and experience some back in the day goodness.  A bunch of you have experience with this kind of thing, so I thought I'd ask y'all for your advice on what games would be the most fun.  I guess the criteria are:

Easy to pick up and play (i.e. no complicated controls/back story)
Arcade style play (as fun a Ocarina of time is, I'm guessing there will be queues and 5-10 minute play times)
Multiplayer good, depending on controller availability - she's buying a lot of these herself, and 4 controllers for each system plus taps might be OTT
Cheap - so super common games, that are still grade A.  I'm not up to scratch on the pricing of some of these.
It would also be nice if they showed off something quirky about the system, something of a draw that you can't get from CoD and Fifa 483478

Here are the consoles she has so far:
Game cube
Nintendo 64
XBOX
PS2
SEGA Master System

But I guess she could possibly obtain others in the interim, so if you've got a particularly good idea, go for it.  I might also lend her a Core Grafx, Bomberman and a tap with 5 pads.

The best idea I've had so far is Monkeyball for the Gamecube, though Luigi's mansion is a good shout.  And maybe Pilotwings 64 or blast corps?
Quote from: esteban on 04/26/2018, 04:44 PMSHUTTLECOCK OR SHUFFLE OFF!

wildfruit

goldeneye n64 if its suitable for the age range

Tatsujin

www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

wildfruit

grab a dreamcast. so cheap. and whack in power stone

soop

Quote from: Tatsujin on 07/09/2013, 10:47 AMNo Obey = Fail pure.
"I might also lend her a Core Grafx, Bomberman and a tap with 5 pads." :P

SHe doesn't want to borrow too much though, I've already lent her 3 consoles, but she bought 2 of those for herself.  I think she might be getting into it a bit!

A DC is also a good shout.  And as of yet, I don't have any fighters in my list...

I've suggested:
N64: Blast Corps
Gamecube:  Super Monkey Ball
PS2: Steel Dragon Ex
Xbox: Burnout 3
Master system:  Bubble Bobble, Rainbow Islands, NZ story, or Alex Kidd (it's a II)

turboswimbz

KISS:
No more than 2 controllers I'd say. simple fun games indeed

other good Nintendo titles:

Mario Kart
Super Smash Bros.
Sonic - GC games
Mario
Time Splitters
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)
BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere. You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

bob

Outrun for SMS.
For PS2, maybe one of the capcom or midway comp discs.

wildfruit

transbot for master system
its awful

majors

Saturn Bomberman...DONE!

GC = Smash Bros (barf)

Shooter/shmup/STG are good for quick pick up play. PS2 has a couple of Cave ports. DC has Ikaruga and Under Defeat that look tops on VGA. SMS has a good port of R-type and I think Golden Axe(not warrior) is a good showcase of the system.
TG/PCE Collection.
"Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)

esadajr

Quote from: wildfruit on 07/09/2013, 10:57 AMgrab a dreamcast. so cheap. and whack in power stone
ah you beat me  #-o I was gonna say grab a DC made before Oct 2k  :-"

Chu Chu Rocket, Crazy Taxi, Sonic Adv, Rayman, Capcom vs SNK, Street Fighter Alpha,  Daytona, Sega Rally.
Gaming since 1985

NecroPhile

Quote from: soop on 07/09/2013, 10:19 AMI might also lend her a Core Grafx, Bomberman and a tap with 5 pads.

Tell Donna to get her own Turbob.  :mrgreen:
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

soop

Thanks for the suggestions guys!  Super Smash Brothers is a particularly good shout.

TR0N

PS2 for pick'up&play,hmm try any arcade compilation such as these.

Taito Legends 1&2
Capcom Classics Collection 1&2
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

Arkhan Asylum

The N64 is a horrible idea.   You're going to scare kids away with that dumbfuck controller.

Get a Dreamcast + Powerstone.   

Playstation 1 with Spyro, Gex, or Crash Bandicoot

I also expect to see:

Zombies Ate my Neighbors, Maximum Carnage, Smash TV, and Gauntlet.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

soop

Quote from: guest on 07/11/2013, 03:30 AMThe N64 is a horrible idea.   You're going to scare kids away with that dumbfuck controller.

Get a Dreamcast + Powerstone.   

Playstation 1 with Spyro, Gex, or Crash Bandicoot

I also expect to see:

Zombies Ate my Neighbors, Maximum Carnage, Smash TV, and Gauntlet.
DON'T HATE ON TEH CONTROLLS

She's gonna send me a photo of all the PS1 games she's got and we'll see what's in there.  My choice would probably be Syphon Filter, Wipeout or ... that run and gun release title, something Trigger?

No run and guns yet!

JoshTurboTrollX

Quote from: soop on 07/09/2013, 11:05 AM
Quote from: Tatsujin on 07/09/2013, 10:47 AMNo Obey = Fail pure.
"I might also lend her a Core Grafx, Bomberman and a tap with 5 pads." :P

SHe doesn't want to borrow too much though, I've already lent her 3 consoles, but she bought 2 of those for herself.  I think she might be getting into it a bit!

A DC is also a good shout.  And as of yet, I don't have any fighters in my list...

I've suggested:
N64: Blast Corps
Gamecube:  Super Monkey Ball
PS2: Steel Dragon Ex
Xbox: Burnout 3
Master system:  Bubble Bobble, Rainbow Islands, NZ story, or Alex Kidd (it's a II)
Out of curiosity, are you going to be there to help babysit your goods?  I've ran a few game demo/expos and had issues with kids walking off with peripherals/controllers/games.  Not so much as an attempt to steal, but mostly cause they're kids and they think they can just walk off and leave it somewhere else.

Wired controllers Only.
Don't let anyone other than you (Donna?) switch carts/discs.
Have someone display "rules" about treating the consoles/games/controllers.
For OBEY, i've had hits with Kato&Ken and SFII CE.  Bomberman is great, but getting 5 people to sit and play for a complete round (best of 3) can be quite rare.
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion/blackmail!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!