@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

Japan and Akihabara

Started by Zeon, 03/27/2006, 11:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeon

This may be a little off topic but...

I might have an opportunity to go to Japan with some friends this summer, which has been a lifelong dream, and was wondering about Akihabara. I am under the impression that the place is pretty huge and should probably dedicate a whole day there, but what are some good stores for PCE stuff as well as old games and systems in general. I know there must be a ton but I am looking for some recommendations.

Also, what worries me the most, is how easy (or hard) is it to get around and communicate knowing no Japanese. I know a lot of Japanese speak english, but don't really like foreigners that much. I am trying to learn a little Japanese just in case though.

Lastly, barring the price of airline tickets and hotel, how much should I expect to spend on food, transportation, and anything else important I am forgetting.

All input will be greatly appreciated.

ithamore

I recently came across some information you might want to check out:

http://www.segagagadomain.com/gaminginjapan_select.htm

http://www.segagagadomain.com/RetroCorepage-main.htm

http://www.archive.org/details/RetroCore-Akihabara_Special2005

Also, I once talked with a guy who owned a little video game shop in Taiwan, and he told me there are shops in other parts of Tokyo that are cheaper than shops in Akihabara.  Maybe those are the "Junk shops" that are written about at Retro Gaming in Japan.

I hope that helps.

Keranu

Holy crap, another person here has linked to Yakumo's site! Retro Core is the best made-for-online video game show out there! :D
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

Zeon

Thank you so much for the links ithamore. I hope I can still go this summer, but it looks like we might have to wait until winter break.

Man why can't there be an American equivalent of Akiba? I have known for years that Akiba was huge, but not to that scale. All of that stuff in ONE store? :shock: Just looking at the pictures of all that stuff is making me salivate...

Sorry for being naive, but I have lived in Texas my whole life and used games stores aren't exactly common. If you do find one it may contain 1/10000th of what one store in Akiba would have and probably 1/10th of what any used game store just about anywhere else in the states would have. I thought I hit the jackpot when I found this one small store in Lewisville that actually had old games that were not genesis, snes or nes. Heck, nowadays it's hard to find a store that sells those games either.

Now I realize where I have been at during all those dreams where I went into a store that had walls upon walls of old obscure and rare games.  :lol:

esteban

Quote from: "Zeon"Thank you so much for the links ithamore. I hope I can still go this summer, but it looks like we might have to wait until winter break.

Man why can't there be an American equivalent of Akiba? I have known for years that Akiba was huge, but not to that scale. All of that stuff in ONE store? :shock: Just looking at the pictures of all that stuff is making me salivate...

Sorry for being naive, but I have lived in Texas my whole life and used games stores aren't exactly common. If you do find one it may contain 1/10000th of what one store in Akiba would have and probably 1/10th of what any used game store just about anywhere else in the states would have. I thought I hit the jackpot when I found this one small store in Lewisville that actually had old games that were not genesis, snes or nes. Heck, nowadays it's hard to find a store that sells those games either.

Now I realize where I have been at during all those dreams where I went into a store that had walls upon walls of old obscure and rare games.  :lol:
I hear ya. If you want to cry, check out some of CrackTiger's posts. He's up in Canada somewhere, and DAMN if he isn't the luckiest bastard in North America. He reguarly sees tons of great stuff at great prices. Insane!
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

RBJakeSpecial

The store Super Potato has the biggest selection of old school PC engine stuff.  It's located kind of behind Club Sega.  I bought a few games there... but they don't have everything (still trying to find Neo Nectaris)

New here- Yo Whats UP

edit- If you need someone to show you around, I go there regularly.
Prince is god

BadIdeaSociety

Akihabara is probably the easiest way to get a retro-fix without a lot of effort or trouble. I prefer some of the smaller used book stores for the odd classic game, they are usually cheaper, and not as ridiculously crowded as Akihabara. If you are not leaving Tokyo, I would say just stick to Akihabara, but if you manage to filter into other regions, keep your eyes open for "Ninomiyas" with "Move" shops in them or just your typical used book store. Keep your eyes peeled for this symbol ---> 本. While many of these places are just book stores, oftentimes, many have huge collections of videos, video games, laserdiscs, and CDs.

BadIdeaSociety

Quote from: "Zeon"Also, what worries me the most, is how easy (or hard) is it to get around and communicate knowing no Japanese. I know a lot of Japanese speak english, but don't really like foreigners that much. I am trying to learn a little Japanese just in case though.
In Tokyo, it is surprisingly simple to navigate around without a whole lot of knowledge of Japanese. Almost all of Tokyo is plastered with bilingual signs so street and rail navigation is relatively simple. If you are planning on stepping outside of Tokyo, Osaka, Kobe, or Fukuoka I would guestimate you should have at least functional knowledge of katakana and hiragana.

The only trouble with not knowing Japanese in Tokyo is that eating at traditional Japanese restaurants can be a pain... on the other hand, many people don't care because they are food wusses who won't even try any of the local dishes. There are restaurants like Outback and TGIFridays near Shinagawa and Shibuya, Red Lobster and Sizzler near Odaiba, and you can't walk a few yards in Japan without bumping into a McDonalds or KFC.

When in Akihabara, pick up or point to the item you want and ask "Kore wa ikura desu ka?" and you should be able to find out the price of the item (hopefully the employee shows you the price)... most of the time... the prices will be clearly posted.  

Quote from: "Zeon"Lastly, barring the price of airline tickets and hotel, how much should I expect to spend on food, transportation, and anything else important I am forgetting.

All input will be greatly appreciated.

If you eat fast food, you could probably get away with between 400-700 yen per meal (which in terms of US$ is about a dollar or so more than you would pay in the US, but not too horrible). If you head to a family restaurant (Dennys, Johnathans, TGIF, Sizzler) expect to pay between 2000-3500 yen per meal. If you have a nearby convient store (7-11, Circle K, Mini Stop) you might be able to survive on an even cheaper food expenses.

If you are going to Japan in the summer, set aside some money for beverages. It is rather hot and you will be sweating, even though it may be cumbersome, you might want to buy a 1.5 liter bottle of water to drink while you are walking around. Drinking fountains aren't as prolific as you might imagine.

Transportation... check with your travel agent about getting a Rail discount. One of the more popular is the Japan Rail Pass with costs approximately 350-700 US dollars and allows its bearer unlimited rides on JR owned regular and bullet train lines. If you are planning a trip to places other than Tokyo, this would be ideal. Otherwise, see if they offer any discounted JR-based unlimited ride passes for Tokyo.

A one-way train or subway ride can cost as little as 120 yen or more depending on where your destination happens to be. If there are any local railpass options, get them.