10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

I have a new scanner :-)

Started by SuperPlay, 08/15/2013, 11:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SuperPlay

Hi Folks

I have just picked up a new Epson V500 photo scanner:

/6w65.jpg

Just playing around with it at the moment and the following settings seem to give much better results that my old one:

Auto Exposure Type: Document
Image Type: 24Bit Colour
Resolution: 400 dpi

Unsharp Mask: Medium
Descreening: Fine Prints (175 lpi)

Test scan of Hellfire S front cover:

Old scanner (Canon LIDE 100): Test Scan 1.7MB!

New Scanner: Test Scan 2.7MB!

Looking forward to bringing you folks some more cover scans and I have just realised that I have not scanned a PC Engine Fan magazine for you guys in a while.

NecroPhile

Wow, what a difference between the two scans.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

esteban

IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Ji-L87

Nice : )

Interesting results...
The colors are more pleasant on the new one, but the old one seems to have more detail here...(compare their faces). The dot-pattern is almost gone in the new one but somehow so is the edge. But I'm sure this is more of a setting thing :)
CHECKPOINT!
Quote from: esteban on 09/23/2012, 01:40 AMThere is a perverted Japanese businessman in every Swiss PCE fan.

esteban

Quote from: Ji-L87 on 08/15/2013, 02:36 PMNice : )

Interesting results...
The colors are more pleasant on the new one, but the old one seems to have more detail here...(compare their faces). The dot-pattern is almost gone in the new one but somehow so is the edge. But I'm sure this is more of a setting thing :)
Yes, I believe that he might consider changing "Unsharp Mask: Medium" to eliminate the "softening" you are referring to.

That said, another WOOHOO! in in order!

Tatsujin

It's strange but I think the old one looks much more faithfull to the original cover since you still can see the raster from the original printing.

The new one is just kinda blured/polished/interpolated, which result you can easily get in any picture editing software.
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

Tatsujin

Yeah. I don't doubt the scanners ability, just judged the two pics.
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

SuperPlay

Thank you for your feedback and tips.

I noticed earlier today that by default Auto Exposure is also set and as you guys pointed out most of the blurring is caused by the de-screen option along with the Unsharp Mask

had a quick play with the selectable options disabled and changing the DPI varying from 200 -> 600.   300-400 seemed to be the best range once I hit 500+ the scans started to pick up a screening effect.

Here is a scan at 400DPI:

New Scanner: Test Scan 3.4MB!

Tatsujin

Nando

let me just pick up my jaw here for a second! WOW @ that 3rd pic.

esteban

roflmao

geise

Very nice scanner.  We have that one at our work.  You also chose an amazing cover to use.  I have always loved the use of colors on that cover.  Your new scanner really does it justice.  Such a nice difference.

xcrement5x

Very nice, that's second one has like no moire effect compared to what is visible in the first scan.
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

SuperPlay

Thanks for the comments folks.  I just need to find some time to get some scanning done ;-)