The Analogue Turbo Duo clone shipped in time for Christmas 2023. Are you happy with yours ?? Find firmware updates here.
Main Menu

Oculus Rift - Holodeck or Hype?

Started by Psycho Nulltard, 08/23/2013, 03:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Psycho Nulltard

After a lunch trip to a Chinese buffet, I returned to my place of work to find that our lead developer had set up his Oculus Rift for everyone to check out.

I knew he was bringing it... that's why I ate buffet.  I wanted to see if, with the Oculus Rift, it would look like the chunks were coming right at YOU.

All in all, it is pretty cool.  The head tracking was super responsive, and the sense of depth/immersion was quite striking at times... though the latter depended heavily on the content being viewed.  The 720p resolution was notably insufficient for the task.  Imaging looking at a stock Turbo Express screen from a few inches away (except pretend that the screen filled your field of view for the most part)... not just pixellated, but TE pixellated.

Reading the above makes it sound like I wasn't impressed.  Not the case!  My expectations were just too high.  I'll definitely consider getting one when the 1080p retail version is released.  But, IMO, don't believe all of the over-the-top reactions on youtube.  I can't imaging anyone really screaming or shitting themselves or ralphing Chinese buffet on their coworkers.

What's your take?
IMG
Psycho John Moriconi sabotaged/destroyed TWO PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook (Cuz Chris Runyon!), then the other by Aaron Nanto (Cuz Le NightWolve!)!!! John and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together mainly because he's also a PCE admin who worked VERY hard to poach members for HIS OWN site which has been an abysmal failure now marred by a legacy of utter mass destruction/harassment/doxxing alliances with KKKFarms . net even despite their involvement in Byuu/Near's suicide! BOTH times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (blackmail/extortion!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang of DildoKKKobolds!

If you suspect he & his gang of psycho cyber bully friends did it on purpose, thought it through to its logical conclusion, preplanned it years before (never let a good crisis go to waste & create it if need be!) and that the PCEFX chatbox launch was just a pretense, you'd be correct...

Feel free to reach out if you wish: nullity_down@yahoo.com
Like DarkKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:

turboswimbz

One of my friends was working on artwork with someone who is developing.  He had a very similar reaction to you about it.   Cool but not super amazing OMG just yet.  But the thought was that it will be really really cool at some point.

I hope to try one of these out one of these days for myself.
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)
BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere. You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

Nando

We've all been so spoiled by awesome screens of late. Anyone remember what the GBA screen looked like? I think, it wasn't until the PSP that displays for portables started looking way better and even then. Nowadays the avg smart phone has some crazy pixel dense screen that blows just about anything away.

Anyway, would like to try the head piece one day.