10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

Hi

Started by Trike, 08/28/2013, 09:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trike

Hi everyone!

About 3 weeks ago, I was at my dad's place looking around in the basement. I saw something that caught my eye in the pile o stuff he has down there.  Once I saw the black carrying case, I knew exactly what it was and instantly triggered memories of my younger years. I couldn't believe he still had my TG16 CD, because it was in the original black carrying case, it wasn't damaged at all. Gosh, it must of been 15 years since I last saw/played with it. There were about 10 games in there and two cd games. I remember having a Turbo Express as well, but I couldn't find it.  I also found my old 1st gen SNES with the Game Doctor SF7.  I'll have to go pick that back up as well.

I took the TG16 home, realized it was missing the power adapter, but I found a 12v power supply with the correct polarity and it fired right up. At least the hu card games, that is.  The CD rom wouldn't spin up.  So naturally I start googling it, and found it was a common problem.  I took it apart and sure enough the laser was stuck. The gears looked really good though, probably because it was boxed all these years and kept out of the elements.  I cleaned all the gears and relubed it.  It fired right up.  It felt really nostalgic and reminded me how cool the 16bit systems were.  That's when it all went down hill and the bug bit me.  After doing more research, I ordered the flash hucard, the RGB to Component converter, Region mod, Japanese System 3.0 card, and two new controllers. :D  I spent last weekend installing all the mods.  I'm very happy with the results.  I still see some faint jailbars, although I didn't use tant caps, I used 22uf 16v electrolytic caps instead.  That's what I had laying around, so I at least tried it.  But it didn't really make a whole lot of difference, if any.

That's where I'm at now and searching for an Arcade card pro now.  I never thought I would continue to invest in an old console, but I love to build and mod stuff, this was perfect and right up my alley.

Just wanted to thank turbokon for supplying the boards and being a good resource and thanks for this great forum.  There's a lot of good technical info on the console here and the people on this forum doesn't seem very "hostile", but instead very helpful and friendly.  Glad I joined!

Sorry for the novel.  I'll shut up now, and get back to playing some more games on the TG16.  :dance:

Tatsujin

www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

turboswimbz

Welcome.

Some of us love those novels. - great story- 

It is a funny farm here, but the love of all things PC engine shines through all.

Your best bet for a pro card is pobably the link mothegunner sent you, as you are not bound to find to many extras around here

anyway again welcome, look forward to hearing more from you.
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)
BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere. You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

esteban

Quote from: Trike on 08/28/2013, 09:57 AMHi everyone!

About 3 weeks ago, I was at my dad's place looking around in the basement. I saw something that caught my eye in the pile o stuff he has down there.  Once I saw the black carrying case, I knew exactly what it was and instantly triggered memories of my younger years. I couldn't believe he still had my TG16 CD, because it was in the original black carrying case, it wasn't damaged at all. Gosh, it must of been 15 years since I last saw/played with it. There were about 10 games in there and two cd games. I remember having a Turbo Express as well, but I couldn't find it.  I also found my old 1st gen SNES with the Game Doctor SF7.  I'll have to go pick that back up as well.

I took the TG16 home, realized it was missing the power adapter, but I found a 12v power supply with the correct polarity and it fired right up. At least the hu card games, that is.  The CD rom wouldn't spin up.  So naturally I start googling it, and found it was a common problem.  I took it apart and sure enough the laser was stuck. The gears looked really good though, probably because it was boxed all these years and kept out of the elements.  I cleaned all the gears and relubed it.  It fired right up.  It felt really nostalgic and reminded me how cool the 16bit systems were.  That's when it all went down hill and the bug bit me.  After doing more research, I ordered the flash hucard, the RGB to Component converter, Region mod, Japanese System 3.0 card, and two new controllers. :D  I spent last weekend installing all the mods.  I'm very happy with the results.  I still see some faint jailbars, although I didn't use tant caps, I used 22uf 16v electrolytic caps instead.  That's what I had laying around, so I at least tried it.  But it didn't really make a whole lot of difference, if any.

That's where I'm at now and searching for an Arcade card pro now.  I never thought I would continue to invest in an old console, but I love to build and mod stuff, this was perfect and right up my alley.

Just wanted to thank turbokon for supplying the boards and being a good resource and thanks for this great forum.  There's a lot of good technical info on the console here and the people on this forum doesn't seem very "hostile", but instead very helpful and friendly.  Glad I joined!

Sorry for the novel.  I'll shut up now, and get back to playing some more games on the TG16.  :dance:
Comrade, why didn't you take pictures of the basement? You must include pics with your anecdote, or else it didn't happen.

You are an embarrassment to this community. IMG

Seriously, though, we love the novellas folks share here.  We look forward to hearing about the games you play in the upcoming hours, days, weeks, equinoxes,etc.   :pcgs:
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Trike

Haha... Trust me, you don't want to see the basement.  True definition of a hoarder.  BUT... There are a lot of gems to be found in the pile. 

I was soo anxious to install the mod, I didn't take many pics.  Only snapped a few while installing the region mod.  Although not as cool, I can take some pics of the finished product.

NecroPhile

Welcome aboard the crazy train!
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

turbokon

Hey there, welcome and I'm glad to see you on here. Now if you can take some pictures of the component board in action we would greatly appreciate it;)
Turbo fan since 1991 after owning my first system.

Check out my website:)
www.tg16pcemods.com

Bardoly

Welcome!

So, what games do you already have?  You mentioned 12, I believe?

If you have the funds, try to get some of the recently released homebrew games and support the developers who are producing for the system - Mysterious Song, Pyramid Plunder, Meteor Blaster DX, etc...

Trike

The ones I found in the case are:

Sports Football
Tricky Kick
R-Type
Keith Courage - Alpha zones
Takin It to the Hoop
Aero Blasters
Dragon Spirit
Dungeon Explorer
Sinistron
Double Dungeon
Cadash

The two cd games are:
YS Bootk I+II
Valis II

Bardoly, I'll definitely take a look at the homebrew games you mentioned.

I'll try to get some pics up soon, I let a buddy borrow my camera, and all I have is some cell phone pics while I was doing the mods.

esteban

Quote from: Trike on 08/30/2013, 11:25 AMThe ones I found in the case are:

Sports Football
Tricky Kick
R-Type
Keith Courage - Alpha zones
Takin It to the Hoop
Aero Blasters
Dragon Spirit
Dungeon Explorer
Sinistron
Double Dungeon
Cadash

The two cd games are:
YS Bootk I+II
Valis II

Bardoly, I'll definitely take a look at the homebrew games you mentioned.

I'll try to get some pics up soon, I let a buddy borrow my camera, and all I have is some cell phone pics while I was doing the mods.
Not bad!  :pcgs: Some decent games in there.

Tatsujin

-=R-TYPE=-

:bonler:
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

TheClash603

Now that you have the extra controllers, I hope you get some 2-player Cadash going!

esteban

TRIKE: it is time to update your status. Thank you.

Bardoly

Quote from: esteban on 09/14/2013, 04:15 PMTRIKE: it is time to update your status. Thank you.
Agreed.