RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

IT professional.....i have a question.

Started by tggodfrey, 08/30/2013, 06:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tggodfrey

I have a Windows Vista 64 Laptop I screwed up.

Last night I installed an AVG Tuneup software.  It claimed ot fix my registry ect and appeared fine.  I restarted it when it was completed and Windows will not load now.

After the initial attempt I hard booted it.  As expected it brings you to the startup selection screen.  4 options

Safe Mode
Safe mode with Networking
Last know good configuration
Start Windows normally

I have tried all 4 and Windows wont load. 

On the Safe mode attempt, a list of drivers scrolls as they load and it gets stuck on the driver:  Windows/System32/DRIVERS/AVGidsha.sys

Anything else i can try?

There is 1 file in my documents I need to try and save.  The only option I am thinking I can try is to mount the hard drive in a case and try to extract the file.  I know I will prolly run into all kinds of permission issues and it will prolly be a pain.  Then just take the machine to frys and let them do a reformat.

This is about the extent of any knowledge I have.

Thanks

Terry
Games currently in play:
PS3: COD Ghosts
TG16: Boxyboy

NecroPhile

If you have access to a Vista install dvd, boot from it and use Startup Repair.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

tggodfrey

I dont and I dont have a recovery disc either.
Games currently in play:

OldRover

Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

NightWolve

Ah, I see. Great link that Rover found ya! So AVG offers some kind of free, generic boot up disc image for you to burn and use for such emergencies.

Yeah, you definitely DO NOT need to reinstall Windows for something like this. It's normally kinda easy if you had your Windows install disc. You would just boot to a Command Prompt with it, 'cd' to the system32/drivers folder and do something with those "avg*.sys" files, remove, rename, etc., then reboot normally off the hard-drive.

I've had this happen a few times myself.

BigusSchmuck

You know in cases like the above its relatively cheap to get a external drive bay. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153066
Very useful in extracting documents and files.

tggodfrey

I used a case I purchased from Fry's to load the hard drive into, extracted the files and then reloaded windows back to factory settings.  I disabled all the AVG files and it would keep hanging up on other files that appeared to be windows system files.  I was starting to get in over my head and started thinking the registry got damaged.

I have no doubt you guys could have fixed it but not over the internet with me behind the keyboard.  I know some stuff but not a lot when it comes to computers.

I do appreciate the help.

Terry
Games currently in play: