OMG! ZIRIA! ZIRIA!! ZIRIA!!! IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED!! 34 YEARS LATER!! The epic/legendary Tengai Makyou/Far East of Eden: Ziria JRPG has finally been localized! Supper the Subtitler struck again! Simply unstoppable, NOTHING can prevent him from TOTAL PCECD localization domination!!!! WHACHA GONNA DO BROTHER?!?!
Main Menu

PCE Golden Axe

Started by ToyMachine78, 10/05/2013, 09:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ToyMachine78

Picked up Golden Axe today and well....what a complete shit load of f#!k !!!! Completely busted port!  :x

Keith Courage

it is really bad. the only redeeming thing is the music. even though it is a lousy port that hasn't stopped me from beating it a few times.

esteban

Quote from: guest on 10/05/2013, 09:39 PMPicked up Golden Axe today and well....what a complete shit load of f#!k !!!! Completely busted port!  :x
SO very, very true.

I love CrackTiger, but he may come to the defense of Golden Axe...

:pcgs:
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Tatsujin

hahaha..yeah that one is a turdy. Everyone knows that :lol:
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

esteban

Quote from: Tatsujin on 10/06/2013, 02:20 AMhahaha..yeah that one is a turdy. Everyone knows that :lol:
Why are you up so late? GO TO SLEEP.

Granted, it is difficult to get a restful sleep after the Horror that is Golden Axe PCE.

Official Ninja

This version of the game is not so good.
Still I find myself playing it every so often... maybe I like bad games  :-k  :mrgreen:

RoyVegas

This sad news. I loved this game in the arcade as a kid and have been wanting to pick it up for a long long time. I'll still pick it up eventually but I'm heartbroken to hear this......
All is well. :)

DragonmasterDan

yeah, it's pretty terrible. I still managed to have some fun with it but it's a huge disappointment. Especially how good some other Sega ports are (OutRun and Space Harrier come to mind).
--DragonmasterDan

EvilEvoIX

I wonder why the port was so bad considering how good the other Sega Ports were.
IMGIMGIMG
Quote from: PCEngineHellI already dropped him a message on there and he did not reply back, so fuck him, and his cunt wife.

Tatsujin

Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 10/08/2013, 12:40 PMyeah, it's pretty terrible. I still managed to have some fun with it but it's a huge disappointment. Especially how good some other Sega ports are (OutRun and Space Harrier come to mind).
Even more so afterburner II, wonderboy monsterlair, bonanza bros. :)
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

Tatsujin

Quote from: EvilEvoIX on 10/08/2013, 05:08 PMI wonder why the port was so bad considering how good the other Sega Ports were.
the developer behind?

Liquid Snake

Quote from: Tatsujin on 10/08/2013, 06:49 PM
Quote from: EvilEvoIX on 10/08/2013, 05:08 PMI wonder why the port was so bad considering how good the other Sega Ports were.
the developer behind?
Telenet, that's why :<
My happy meal box is empty~~~

Play-Asia

ccovell

Quote from: Liquid Snake on 10/08/2013, 06:52 PM
Quote from: Tatsujin on 10/08/2013, 06:49 PM
the developer behind?
Telenet, that's why :<
Specifically, the games they knew sucked they stuck on their "Reno" label.

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: ccovell on 10/08/2013, 07:22 PMSpecifically, the games they knew sucked they stuck on their "Reno" label.
Heh, they also used the Renovation label in the US on Genesis games.
--DragonmasterDan

BigusSchmuck

Can't be any worse than the Commodore 64 version.
http://www.lemon64.com/?game_id=1068
Horrid.

Tatsujin

lol, what a comparison.

ToyMachine78

Quote from: BigusSchmuck on 10/08/2013, 11:09 PMCan't be any worse than the Commodore 64 version.
http://www.lemon64.com/?game_id=1068
Horrid.
Wow! The enemies really are turd brown in that version .... as if they're screaming.... yep we know this game is crap! Lol

Tatsujin

lol, it's a c64 you guys are talking here, not a PCE. the c64 was known for very good chip musics, and almost nothing else.

rtyper

posted by Tatsujin
Quotelol, it's a c64 you guys are talking here, not a PCE. the c64 was known for very good chip musics, and almost nothing else.
That's a pretty unfair generalization to make.
The c64 is not quoted in the guinness book of world records as the best selling single format computer ever because it had the best sound chip of that era. (and still sounds excellent)
The c64 had thousands of games, a vast number of which were extremely playable, if not genre defining. It also had a lot of shovelware and which gaming format doesn't?
The demo scene originated on the c64 and still exists to this day. I suggest you download an emulator, seek them out and prepare to be impressed by what 30 year old hardware can do in the right hands.

Tatsujin

Lol, i had a c64 and c128 for half of my life.
I was a bit joking with the sound only, but it realy was and still is THAT good.
I just wanted, and sure in the defense of the c64 only, to point out, that it is quite unfair to compare its golden axe port to to the ones of graphically such more powerful machines.

OldRover

GA-PCE Reboot - Gilius attacks with proper colors!

That is all. :lol:
Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

Tatsujin

wow rover :D

make it happen..please :D

OldRover

It *is* happening. :D Although it will be awhile before we work on it again... other things have priority right now.
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

Psycho Punch

This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs! I had to delete THOUSANDS of errors cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

OldRover

esteban

OldRover

Paranoia Dragon did "The Organic Remix" music, using a combination of the PCE version tracks mixed with the PS2 versions and some of his own work. "The Arcade Original" soundtrack is taken from the Sega CD redbook audio, which was recorded directly from the arcade hardware. I originally ripped the tiles from the arcade tile ROM, but Black Tiger wanted in as well, and made the stages look 100 times better than they already were. Charles MacDonald ripped the sprite ROM, so all the sprites we have are pixel-for-pixel arcade-perfect. I did the sprite recoloring, using the arcade palette and aligning to PCE spec, and of course, the code. I also ripped the ADPCM samples from the arcade ROMs, although that was not much work at all. It was quite a team effort even to get this far. We'll resume work on it someday. :) Oh... and it's an arcade card game.

In the process of doing this, Charles and I discovered some unused graphics and determined that the game design was changed from its original plan, probably at the last minute. The large door in the background of the stage 2 boss region is supposed to open, presumably to let out the boss character. Instead, those graphics are never used, and we got the version that we got.

Tatsujin

it must become alive..ALIVE..IT MUST :D

then we can show WOHS THE MUETAHEFUCLER WITH EBST GOLDNE AXE PORT, YEAH!!!

esteban

I don't care if it takes years. I will play this MOST VALIANT, MOST GLORIOUS PCE PORT of Golden Axe before I die. True story.

CrackTiger

Golden Axe is a great example of how sub-palette flexibility is more important than an overkill master palette.

System 16 12-bit color:

IMG

PC Engine 9-bit color:

IMG

QuoteI don't care if it takes years.
Good. :P
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

OldRover

We've also decided to leave certain things intact, such as the dripping blood on the character select screen, the decapitation scene in the attract mode, etc. The scoring should be balls-on accurate too.

Arjak

A new, close-to-arcade port of Golden Axe for PCE!?

WHAT IS THIS MAGIC!? :shock:
He who dings the Gunhed must PAAAAY!!! -Ninja Spirit

esteban

Quote from: guest on 10/20/2013, 02:50 PMGolden Axe is a great example of how sub-palette flexibility is more important than an overkill master palette.

System 16 12-bit color:

IMG

PC Engine 9-bit color:

IMG

QuoteI don't care if it takes years.
Good. :P
SWEET JESUS ON A BISCUIT!  IMG  IMG  IMG

OldRover

Quote from: Arjak on 10/20/2013, 06:00 PMA new, close-to-arcade port of Golden Axe for PCE!?

WHAT IS THIS MAGIC!? :shock:
Yes, close to, but not quite. :) Black Tiger's pixel wizardry makes it look better than the arcade version, and Paranoia Dragon's audio genius makes it sound better than the arcade version. It runs at a lower resolution though; I'm using 256 pixels instead of the arcade's 320. It won't look that much different on a regular TV though, since things will simply be slightly stretched horizontally.

...and you see that big, wonderfully-colorful eagle? Unlike all other home ports, this one has a moving eye... as does the turtle's head you pass over in a previous stage. Also, there is no screen transition for the final battle, and the "snakes crawling up the floor" part is intact. Lastly, Tyris Flare's highest level spell is not butchered in this version; it uses the same sprites found in the arcade game.

A couple of things are different gameplay-wise. For one, I'm going to do something with the unused door in stage 2. Haven't decided what just yet, but it'll be something different. Also, there's a bonus for anyone who can do really well at the game. :) Finally, the arcade version has an *exceedingly obnoxious* tackle glitch... it won't be present here.

Arjak

I definitely agree that CrackTiger's version looks better. It just looks so much more vibrant. The colors of the arcade version feel unnaturally subdued in comparison. I cannot wait to see more!

In fact, I think I need to play some Golden Axe right now! This development has put me in the mood. Time to start up MAME! :dance:
He who dings the Gunhed must PAAAAY!!! -Ninja Spirit

esteban

Quote from: Arjak on 10/20/2013, 08:11 PMI definitely agree that Black Tiger's version looks better. It just looks so much more vibrant. The colors of the arcade version feel unnaturally subdued in comparison. I cannot wait to see more!

In fact, I think I need to play some Golden Axe right now! This development has put me in the mood. Time to start up MAME! :dance:
Exactly. I actually played (beat) Golden Axe on Genesis because this thread was so ridiculously awesome.

OldRover

/gapce-tyrismagic.png

This is just a mockup so the colors are not completely correct, but it will look a lot like this when completed.

CrackTiger

Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Tatsujin

I really, really, REALLY hope this will becoming true  [-o&lt;

jeffhlewis

Holy crap that looks arcade perfect

esteban

roflmao

Holy moly, this looks awesome.

whisper2053

I will second, third, sixty-fourth, or whatever it takes to get you guys on track with this!

WOW!

Just out of curiosity, is there a donate option for the project at all? I'd love to be able to contribute to something as worthwhile as this.
IMG
My Retro Gaming Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/whisper2053

ParanoiaDragon

Damn, cat's outta the bag I guess!  :D  A few of the PCE tunes I had to unfortunately redo from scratch, do to them having the wrong notes in a few places.  Also, there was a missing song or 2 not found in the PCE version that I recreated as well.
IMG

Xak

I actually enjoyed this game a lot. Mainly for the cut scenes despite not being able to understand them. I'd always die on the last stage , I tried many times to beat this game and failed. I probably just suck and should stick to RPGs and Racing games.

Will the redone version on the PCE fix some of the gameplay ? The Genesis version just felt better on the hands. Also can you add subtitles to the movie scenes or is that too much to ask?
Im a real life Sadler, just take me to the nearest item shop.

I have aspergers, and am a recovering Tonicholic

Psycho Punch

Look at those backgrounds... I would put them as my PC wallpapers if not for the aspect ratio.

Amazing!
This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs! I had to delete THOUSANDS of errors cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

MotherGunner

I am in complete awe.  Amazing!
-MG

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM (If you want peace, Prepare for war)
SI VIS BELLUM, PARA MATRIMONIUM (If you want war, Prepare for marriage)

OldRover

Quote from: Xak on 10/21/2013, 11:56 AMWill the redone version on the PCE fix some of the gameplay ? The Genesis version just felt better on the hands. Also can you add subtitles to the movie scenes or is that too much to ask?
The only thing being reused from the commercial PCE version is the music, and only as a basis for newer tracks. Everything else material-wise is taken directly from the arcade game, so the cutscenes are not included. The gameplay in our remake is not glitched like the arcade version, but it's also not a cakewalk like the Genesis version.

VestCunt

Glad to hear the gameplay is getting a facelift. The new graphics look amazing, but the clunky controls on the PCE version have always been a bigger deterrent than the aesthetics.

If you're redoing everything, is there any chance of two-player?
Topic Adjourned.

BigusSchmuck

Or a exclusive three player mode? :)