GameCollector app now based on subscritipn

Started by SuperPlay, 10/22/2013, 12:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SuperPlay

For those of you who use GameCollector, you would had received and email recently that introduces you to a new and exciting venture called 'Cobalt '.  As I suspected this is a replacement to Game Collector based on a subscription model rather than pay for the application you use (with limited updates included)

I have used this great program for several years and have paid for several updates.  However I hate this new pay per month subscription nonsense. I know it is only US $24.95 per year however it is the fact that there is no alternative, now this is the problem! (Other than not to upgrade!)

And if you don't upgrade you cannot get what I classify as a basic fundamental update to "Support - better handling of non-English characters"

Such a shame, I hope that they change their minds and go back to pay for the product you want to use model.

http://www.collectorz.com/game/

jeffhlewis

I've been using this software for about a year now - they're totally losing me with this subscription crap. The second to last straw was charging out the ass for the mobile app, and even then it's not unified between phone and tablet.

roflmao

Yeah, it's a pretty lousy move.  I'll stick with the version I have until someone else makes something better.

SuperPlay

I emailed my comment over their support folks and I did get a speedy response (below).

As there has been quite a lot of information relating to the new product things were getting a little confusing and I missed the point in the FAQ. At least this does offer some form of workaround.

Personally I will pay the $24.95 per year as I believe that the product is worth this amount.   I am just not a big fan of online accounts and software subscriptions.

FAQ: http://www.collectorz.com/blog/2013/10/22/introducing-update-plans/?inf_contact_key=b11f623ee3fc06a6c87126a35a1d6071cbb1ab874415a251936b0411b214c31a#qa

Hi,

Welcome to support.
Quoted from the Q&A:

Q: What if I don't like paying in advance for features that I may not need want or need?

A: You don't have to pay in advance. You can just wait and keep an eye on the updates we release, until you see one (or more) that you want to have. Then just get an Update Plan, if only for just a few months. As soon as you have a valid Update Plan, you can download the latest version, including all features that have been released in the past.

With kind regardz,

Sytske Hermans
Collectorz.com

TurboHuC6280

I keep my collection at GameFAQs.  Works fine from my PC or Android.

jeffhlewis

On that note - what does everyone use for tracking collections? I've used a lot of different things over time (GameTZ, VGCollect, Excel, programming my own) and wound up using the aforementioned GameCollector app just because of how concise it was with lots of exporting options, plus at the time the iPad app was slick.

I'm looking at alternatives and hell, I might just wind up making my own again. what's good out there?

xcrement5x

I use Google Docs personally.  It's free, has multiplatform support, and syncs across anything with an internet connection.  It has saved me from picking up dupes from a flea market or such plenty of times.
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

VestCunt

Holy hell. There's a "game collector" app? Did buying stuff get too hard for people?
Topic Adjourned.

NecroPhile

I only use PCE Daisakusen.  My PC-FX and PSP collections aren't big enough (or sexy enough) for me to worry about keeping tabs on 'em.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!